Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes
Hello. I would like to make music with extremely gentle drums. I use Reason and Ableton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes
If it wasn't obvious, I'm hoping that anyone can direct me to sample packs / patches that fit the bill.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Can you provide a sample of the type of sound you're looking for? It's difficult to know what you mean by "extremely gentle drums" without a reference point. Your topic suggests an electric sound so I'm assuming you don't mean something like a soft brush acoustic sound. Are you looking for bleeps and boops? Body percussion? The eclectic sounds of pencils tapping glassware or some other abstract noises that fit a certain noise profile? Blunted samples with low attack?

No matter the case, you could probably just find a kit that has the body or profile you're looking for and use some EQ and compression to shape the transients and tone. If you want specific recommendations, you're going to have to describe the sound you're looking for with more detail or provide a few samples of songs or artists that use the type of percussion you're looking for.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Something that models/synthesizes the drums might work for you. Softube Heartbeat or fxpansion Tremor? You might be able to dial in the sounds you like. Chromaphone might give good results.

You could also cut into the samples to kill the 'real' transient and then draw your own with an ADSR. Or even just dial up the attack although do this too much and the drums start sounding like they're behind the beat. A fast and cheap way to do this would be just to layer two snares or whatever: one quet one (sidestick or blip or whatever) and one more traditional sounding one and then just dial up the attack on the loud one.

Also drums tend to be in-your-face production-wise. LPF can kill the highs and make them sound softer. Reverb might make them softer too, put them in a space instead of being right there in front of your face.

• Locked thread