Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who would win in an epic showdown
Goku
Superman
Saitama
Gilgamesh
View Results

• Locked thread
Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

An ancient darkness has returned. A weapon drawn from the Void to strike at the very heart of light and hope. Who will stand against it?

It was a normal day in Telos. A trade ship from the Kalkonneth Alliance was coming in, carrying a shipment of spices and rare minerals from across the sea. In the dockside warehouses and shops, business was booming as merchants shouted their bids and offered their wares to the emissaries. Downtown, the construction of a new research facility for the Sallaran University is nearing completion. Its marble walls seem to glow with the light of hope for a new age. The people of Telos are leaving an age of darkness left after the fall of the old Alemis Empire. The leadership of Lady Octavia has made Telos into a new bastion of trade, research, and industry in the ruins of the old empire, out-shined only by the new economic superpower to the east, Ismondel. Above it all, the Lighthouse rises, showing the way to the city.
For whatever reason, you were there on the docks in Telos when the Dark Star rose. There was a rending shriek emanating from everywhere at once, the cry of the world itself being injured. Overhead, not far from the real sun, the sky tore open, and there it was. You probably heard some stories about it- a Dark Star that rose when the Gods fought against the Void Titans long ago, and once again when Old Alemis fell a century ago. Beneath it's glare, crops wither, magic turns wrong, and creatures from the Void make their way into the world. The ground trembles slightly. You hear screaming. Something is coming.

This is a recruiting thread for a game I'm calling Shield Against the Void! I've wanted to run a 4e PBP for a while, and I think now is the right time. I was inspired by Wahad's thread, and want to try running something. This is a game about epic heroes (you) fighting against the power of the Void and the forces that attempt to use it. The setting is a fantasy world on the edge of scientific and magical revolution. It's not Eberron, yet, but it's not your typical indeterminate middle ages either. Late 18th-early 19th century-ish technology wise. Your characters are heroes of some stripe already, but your destiny is far greater. You will become Epics, the type of heroes who can shatter mountains with a blow and wrest the gods of darkness from their thrones.

Established setting details:
In the far east, shining steel rises above coal-stained roads and smoky dens of illegal liquor and opium. Dark powers hide in the shadows cast by the blinding light of technology. This is Kazaril, the beacon of science and industrialization of the burgeoning economic superpower that is Ismondel. The self-styled Emperor Ordus Martensite forged Ismondel with an alliance between twelve noble families after the fall of Old Alemis.

Between Telos and Ismondel, the the ancient empire of Alemis has fallen, fracturing into warring city-states and exploited by the capitalist powers of the world. Ancient families lie in ruin and industry plunders the coffers of royalty.

Across the seas, the Kalkonneth Alliance is struggling to keep pace with the technology of Ismondel and Telos as the rich and poor alike try to emulate the culture of Ismondel. However, a powerful faction within the Alliance covets the power Kazaril. There are rumors of invasion plans.

Your Character
Answer these questions. It doesn't have to be long, creativity is more valuable than excessive prose.

Where do you come from? Aside from what I've already established, you are free to invent whole cities, nations or continents and add them to the game! You can also establish details about any of the nations I've described.

You've touched the Void at least once before. How did it happen?

Describe a friend and/or enemy you've made in your journeys. Who knows when they'll show up again?

What is one of your flaws?

Characters start at Level 4, standard start of levels 5, 4, and 3 items and gold equal to a level 4 item.
Themes = yes
Dragonmarks/Shards are actually totally cool and fine to use. Keep in mind though I will try to pick characters around the same power level, so if you have a build that's way above the average for the thread, help out the others or tone yours down a little maybe.
There will be accelerated leveling. Expect basically every extended rest to be a level up. However, an extended rest isn't necessarily whenever you get 8 hours rest. In general it will coincide with about 3-4 combat encounters and I'll try to make it plot relevant. If you really need a full rest early, plot things may happen.

~House Rules~
Free Expertise Feat
Free Improved Defenses Feat
Free Melee Basic ability score change feat if your class needs it.
Inherent Bonuses in effect

Skills:
If your class has fewer than 5 trained skills, you now get 5 trained skills.
If your ability score bonus in a trained skill is less than 2, treat the bonus as if it were 2
I will try to incorporate more skill checks in combat for controlling environmental effects as move or minor actions.

Triggered Actions:
Because this is PBP, I will ask that you list trigger conditions for all of your triggered actions/ mark punishment (not too complicated please). I will also assume you take all opportunity attacks unless otherwise specified. Understand that this makes triggered actions and defenders in general slightly weaker, and pick your powers/class accordingly.

Monsters:
I will be using a good number of custom monsters. I made a lot of these for a previous paper game, so they have at least some playtesting. These monsters are generally based on MM3 math, but as you increase in level, the monsters will have more and more synergistic abilities, both between monsters and with the environment. The monster base damage uses mm3 math, but the synergy bonuses will aim to keep the damage to health ratio the same or even greater than level 1 as you increase in level. Monsters, especially elites or solos, will tend to have abilities to mitigate nova strategies or massive debuffs. Keep these things in mind when you're choosing your class and powers.

Posting/Contact Info:
I have PMs and you can find me on Steam as vparrotface. I'll be setting up a roll20 page as well to make maps and keep track of NPCs and such, and I'll send out the link when I choose players. Feel free to post any questions in this thread as well. If you get picked, please try to post regularly, around every other day or so even if it's just a short sentence. If the party appears to be stalling on making a decision for an extended period of time, I might have something happen to keep the action going!

-The Mr. Fowl Clause: If Mr. Fowl want to app with the character Freya they submitted to Wahad's game, I'll probably pick them, because I love that concept.-

You have until Friday Oct 21st to submit a character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Character Submission Tracker:
pre:
Player		Character	Race		Class		Role		Source
berenzen	Diesa Stonegrip	Dwarf		Warden		Defender	Primal
Ryuujin		Beef		Human		Fighter		Defender	Martial
slydingdoor	Gallow		Dragonborn	Paladin		Defender	Divine

TheFireMagi	Chen Tian	Human		Sentinel|Shaman	Leader|Leader	Primal|Primal
Klungar		Lt. Kockbern	Genasi		Warlord		Leader		Martial
Bouquet		Zan		Warforged	Runepriest	Leader		Divine
BlankConstruct	Gareth		Goliath		Cleric		Leader		Divine
TychoBrahesNose	Baronet Jasper	Human		Artificer	Leader		Arcane

ProfessorCirno	Nilashwar	Drow		Rogue		Striker		Martial
Wahad		Kiran		RzrclwShifter	Monk		Striker		Psionic
SucessBizManga	Tamak		Kenku		Vampire		Striker		Shadow
ArkInBlack	Gina		Kobold		Sorcerer	Striker		Arcane
Captain Walker	Callie Pride	Tiefling	Warlock		Striker		Arcane

Niel		Legendre	Elf		Druid		Controller	Primal
K Prime		Suh		Tiefling	Psion		Controller	Psionic
P.d0t		Ghepard		RzrclwShifter	Hunter		Controller	Martial|Primal
Melchiresa	Prof. Lorhalien	Eladrin		Wizard		Controller	Arcane

Klungar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 21, 2016

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

Legendre Dubois, Elf Druid

Where do you come from? Aside from what I've already established, you are free to invent whole cities, nations or continents and add them to the game! You can also establish details about any of the nations I've described.

Legendre has lived and was continuing to live in Telos, up until the void incident in the present happened. His parents were druids who were brought to the university to teach about animal physiology, and Legendre learned the druidic arts from them. In his childhood, he was often alone because of his parents’ workload. During those times, he'd spend his days just as a cat or dog, crawling and trying to enter places that he'd never been before.

It was then that he realized that people don't really find random animals particularly suspicious, so he'd occasionally listen into conversations just for fun. He'd then realized that being able to do this sort of spying might earn him a few extra bucks, so he began discretely offering his services to people who needed it, under the name Bourbaki. He would communicate with his clients only indirectly, via his friend Hektor, and would never disclose the methods he used to perform his jobs to them.

One of his jobs had been at the university, to go into a certain office and nick some test solutions. But on that day, he had made a wrong turn and gone into an adjacent classroom instead, where he witnessed a bunch of hooded figures chanting ominously in some sort of suspect ritual. Then, one of the figures drew a dagger and slit his own throat, and black blood began spurting out like a fountain until a pale, porcelain-white arm began reaching out from inside that man's neck, and at this point Legendre was scared shitless enough to run away.

Legendre came back the next day to look around out of curiosity, but there were no traces of blood left. He figured that he probably had just fallen asleep on the job that night and had a particularly terrible dream then...

Describe a friend and/or enemy you've made in your journeys. Who knows when they'll show up again?

Legendre’s closest childhood friend is a changeling named Hektor. Back in grade school, Hektor was known to be shy and a bit of a coward, and struggled to make friends. After some point, he became fully misanthropic, and when no one was looking he would perform pranks on the teachers and other students out of spite. The sort of pranks that he preferred to pull weren’t ones that resulted in bodily harm, but rather ones that would give the victim a sense of unease, such as moving a belonging from one place to another, or leaving notes with threatening messages.

Legendre was able to figure out where the pranks were coming from, but he decided to tell Hektor that he’d keep his secret, because he felt he didn't have any right to judge him. Their mutual friendship sort of followed after that, the two of them bonding over being shapeshifters who do bad things. Nowadays, Hektor’s the one who usually handles retrieving mail from Bourbaki’s clients, using his innate ability to change his appearance each time he does so.

He's an inquisitive person, and will poke his head into things if he wants to know more about it. At the same time, though, he knows that his “profession” is wrong, and carries a sense of shame over it. A consequence of this is that he tends to overvalue keeping things private, and is a little scared to open up about himself.

Mechanics:

Basically he's a sneaky druid who's optimized for both mobility and polearm shenanigans later on. If any of this stuff needs to be toned down, let me know.

pre:
Legendre

HP: 38/38 (BV: 19)	AC:	20 	Passive Insight: 21
THP: 0	                Fort:	15 	Passive Perception: 23
Surges: 7/7 (V:9)	Ref:	19	Vision: Low-light vision
Initiative: +6	        Will:	19	Action Points: 1
Speed: 8                

Power Cards

At Will		  Encounter		  Daily
Wild Shape	  [ ] Second Wind	  [ ] Summon Giant Toad
Savage Rend	  [ ] Wolf Shape    
Grasping Tide     [ ] Thorn Spray 	  Items
Magic Stones	  [ ] Wolf's Vitality 	  
	          [ ] Predator's Flurry	          

Triggered Powers:
Opportunity Attack (Beast Form): Savage Rend - +8 to hit vs Reflex, 1d8+4 damage and slide target 1 square.
Opportunity Attack (Human Form): Melee Training - +10 to-hit vs AC, 1d8+3 damage.
Battle Awareness: 1/enc., make imm. int. MBA against adj. enemy that shifts or doesn't include Legendre in attack.

Passives:
Enraged Bear Form: +1 to attacks and +2 to damage when charging in beast form.
Aversion Staff: +2 item bonus to all defenses against attacks from enemies subject to effects caused by Legendre.
Claw Gloves: When in beast form and enemy grants combat advantage, deal extra 1d10 against enemy.
Sense Threat: Use Perception for init.; allies within 10 sq. with lower init. gain +2 racial bonus to init.
Staggering Smash: Push target 1 square when target dazed or stunned with primal power.
Reactive Stealth: Make Stealth check to hide if you have cover or concealment when rolling initiative.

Resist:
Vulnerable: Grant combat advantage to enemies with silvered weapons.

Niel fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 22, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Chen Tian (Human Sentinel | Shaman), Hu (Reskinned Bear Companion), Xiong (Shaman Spirit Companion), and Gou (Fey Beast Tamer Blink Dog)
Role: Leader | Leader, lots of healing with some off-defending with my pets, but limited saving throws given until later on.

Ask any villager of Gladsvale, and they would warn you to never wander alone within the Wraithwoods, if you had any concern for your wellbeing. Even whole caravans who ventured too deeply had been known to disappear, their passengers eventually leaving the woods in an amnesiac daze, stripped of all belongings. Sometimes, they never returned at all. Better to take the long road around, the villagers would say, than to risk angering the inhabitants of the woods...or the woods itself, as many claimed that it had a life of its own. Yet in recent years, the same villagers would add, “...unless you had the Child of the Wild to guide you.”

Chen Tian, for her part, merely viewed herself as an ordinary guide despite the rumors that the villagers stirred up about her. And why should she think any different? To her, the Wraithwoods were her backyard, and the elven village of Va’Andrel within was her home. There were many dangers, certainly, but you simply had to know where to walk and where not to walk to avoid them. Though as she grew older, Chen began to realize that most people couldn’t tell the difference between this tree and that one, this plant and that one, and so on. Nevertheless, her upbringing in that environment culminated in an extraordinary primal connection to the natural spirits around her, surprising even some of the elders of Va’Andrel. This would lead to the first of her many companions, as Chen would eventually summon and bond with a spirit of protection, at her foster race’s request; Chen would often wander about the woods on her lonesome, or guiding travellers through whenever she could, and while the elves respected her independence, they still sought to keep her safe. Thus, Xiong, the Bear.

Her second and closest companion, however, came to her when a caravan of merchants had been tricked, charmed, and robbed by the mischievous elves of the woods. Among their goods was a young and caged beast, one that Chen had never seen before. A tiger from the far east, the merchants told her in a daze. Showing sympathy to the creature, particularly after noticing a severe wound to its foreleg that had apparently originated from when it was captured, she managed to befriend the tiger as she cared for and tended to its wounds. Not without difficulty, of course, but Chen’s time in the Wraithwoods had given her an ability to bond with most animals, given enough time.

Eventually, as Chen grew, a desire overtook her to see the world beyond the woods. It was inevitable, most of the elders supposed. Even elves caught the wanderlust in their youth, they thought, let alone a human child who had such a comparatively short life to live, and she had proven more than capable at handling herself. Besides, who were they to deny her? Still, close as they were, Elder Fenthas gave to her the blink dog that he had kept by his side for additional companionship. With a round of farewells and assurances that someday she would return, Chen set out for the first time beyond the borders of the Wraithwoods.

To say there was culture shock would be an understatement, as the world had moved on in very, very big ways in comparison to the woods that Chen had grown up in. The idea of science, let alone a scientific revolution, was utterly alien to the girl of nature. Astonished, overwhelmed, and unsure of herself, she eventually found her wandering taking her to Telos after hearing about the city in her travels. Apparently one of the great centers of this new age, Chen decided to see for herself just what science had to offer.

Where do you come from?

I come from the Wraithwoods, an expansive forest that’s severals weeks journey from Telos. To be specific, I lived in Va’Andrel, a hidden village within the woods. For the most part, it was a good home, so long as I remembered to stay on my toes. As much as I miss the Wraithwoods, I have to admit that it could be rather dangerous at times, even for someone like me who was born and raised there. For one thing, there were more than a few inhabitants of the woods up to no good. Probably even more than I’m aware of, actually. Usually it would just be a relatively harmless prank, and you’d get off without being harmed, but I’ve heard stories from the elders in my village that there’s less… amicable creatures if you head too deep within the woods. You still get people who wander in anyways, since there’s legends about ancient ruins or some such at the heart of the Wraithwoods. Doubt that it’s true, but I’ve had to bail out my share of idiots who think otherwise.

You’ve touched the Void at least once before. How did it happen?

I think it was...five, maybe six years ago now. I don’t remember the incident all that well, since I was just a kid then. More of a kid. You know what I mean. Anyways, I was returning to Va’Andrel after my usual morning exploration, when I got the sense that something was off. There were decaying trees, when I knew they were full of life just hours earlier, and I remember Xiong seeming… off? It’s hard to explain, exactly, but my connection to him didn’t feel right. Like there was a disturbance in the spiritual force, I guess. That feeling only intensified the closer I got to home, and soon I realized why: there was this… monster that had found its way into the village. Monster. That’s the right word. Not beast or animal, just… a monster. I tried to help fight it off, but I don’t remember being much help; I was still inexperienced back then, and I didn’t have Hu or Gou at my side either. And then it looked at me. Now, not to sound as if I’m bragging, but I’ve got some serious willpower. Yet staring right at that monster was… horrible. Luckily, it ran off instead of going at me, but I didn’t sleep right for a while afterwards.

Describe a friend/enemy you’ve made in your journeys.
Well, he’s more like a foster father to me than a friend, but Elder Fenthas’s the person I was closest to back in the village, plus he’s the one that lent me Gou! But besides the Elder… oh, I don’t really know if I would call him a friend, but there was this travelling minstrel that I met. Actually, he was the one that directed me towards Telos once he realized how, well, ignorant I was about the world. I think he said his name was Emile? That sounds right. I have to admit, he was a pretty good storyteller. There was this really interesting one about a tortoise and a hare… well, I couldn't tell it half as good as he did, so I won't even try. Anyways, I don't really know that much about him; he wasn't really the type to talk much about himself. Said he likes to travel around, collecting tales. Seems to me there's more to it than that, and I've an eye for reading people. But it's not my business, and he was plenty helpful to a stranger like me, so I didn't pry.

One of my flaws? Well, I’m pretty ignorant about what’s going on in the world right now, but that’s something that can be fixed. Besides that… honestly, I’m not entirely sure how much I trust this whole “technology” thing. Just feels unneeded, you know? Maybe I’m wrong, maybe not. Either way, it’s not like I can really do anything about it, since it seems like most people seem to be happy with this whole science deal.

I can be pretty stubborn sometimes too. I mean, I'm willing to listen to others, especially people like the village elders whose opinions I trust. But even for them, if I feel really strongly about an issue, it can be hard to change my mind. Guess it comes from growing up fairly independently; when you spend most of your days wandering the woods on your own, only having yourself and your animal companions to rely on, you get used to figuring stuff out for yourself.

Added a second flaw since I wasn't really sure if being a technophobe was exactly what you were looking for.

:siren:Mechanics Notes:siren:
My companions (and my summons when/if I get any) don't have their own initiative. Instead, they eat up my actions to do stuff, although with a single move action I can move all of my pets around.

Also since the Shaman's Spirit Companion works rather differently than anything else, I realized that I should probably add a brief blurb about how it works exactly. First, the spirit can't get hit by area attacks, only single-target melee or ranged attacks. Instead of HP, the spirit only "dies" if a single hit does damage equal to 10 + 1/2 my level, in which case I take 5 + 1/2 my level. For defenses, it shares the same stats as me. Enemies can't move through it, but allies can. The spirit doesn't count for flanking an enemy, although I believe the spirit itself can be flanked. It also (as part of the general conjuration rules) ignores terrain, can't trigger OAs, and can't be affected by things like slow or stun. Finally, while the spirit would normally be able to OA, as I'm a hybrid it lacks the ability to do that.
pre:
Chen HP: 43/43 (BV: 21) Hu HP: 21/21 Gou HP: 21/21 Surges: 10/10 (V: 10)
Chen/Xiong/Gou AC: 20 | Hu AC: 17  \  Chen/Hu/Xiong Fort: 19 | Gou Fort: 18
Chen/Xiong Reflex: 16 | Hu Reflex: 15 | Gou Reflex: 18  \  Chen/Xiong Will: 21 | Hu Will: 19 | Gou Will: 18
Init: +3 Speed: 6 Passive Insight: 22 Passive Perception: 22 Languages: Common, Elvish, Dwarvish

At-Will                Encounter                 Daily
Grasping Tide          [ ]Second Wind            [ ]Spirit of the Healing Flood
Spirit Infusion        [ ]Healing Word           [ ]Casque of Tactics
Animal Attack          [ ]Healing Spirit
Call Spirit Companion  [ ]Speak with Spirits
Blinking Bite          [ ]Certain Threat
                       [ ]Spirit's Sacrifice
                       [ ]Wind Wall
Auras
Hu - Guardian Companion (Aura 1): Allies gain a +2 power bonus to all defenses while in aura.
Gou - Blinking Pack (Aura 1): The blink dog or any ally in the aura can use a move action to teleport to another square in the aura.

Passives
Staff Expertise - Ranged/Area attacks with a Staff don't provoke OA, melee weapon attacks with a staff have +1 reach (Reach 2)
(Bear Companion) Telepathy - Can communicate with my animal companion if it's within 20 squares.
Gauntlets of Blood - +2 to damage rolls against bloodied targets.
Cloak of Distortion - +1 item bonus to all defenses against ranged attacks from more than 5 squares away.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 21, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Klungar posted:

For your reference, Covok:

Thanks for the help, Klungar!

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 10, 2016

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Mince Pieface posted:

Thanks for the help, Klungar!

Curses, you immortalized my mid-edit nonsense! :argh:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Working on something, thinking of a brawler fighter at the moment.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lieutenant Horaysheo Kockbern, Genasi Tactical Warlord

Where do you come from?
My name is Horaysheo Kockbern, and I am a lieutenant in the Telosian Navy, tasked by Lady Octavia to protect Telos and her surrounding waters from the barbarous remains of the old empire and any threat we might face from the new. My father was a doctor of little means or influence, but he was at least able to help provide me with an education at the Telosian Academy, where I received a classical education, excelling in history and mathematics. I had many opportunities upon graduating, but I decided to seek out an officership in the Telosian Navy: the sea, you might say, was in my blood. My knowledge of the history of warfare and the mathematics of navigation have proven to be great assets so far in my career, and the men under my command seem to have the same respect for me that I have for them. I'll need all the help I can get to keep the seas safe from the creatures, criminals, or worse, that threaten the safety of Telos and those who live there.

When I first made Lieutenant, I was placed under the command of Captain Jym Cutter. He had been a man of great renown in his youth, but unfortunately, his age had begun to claim his mind, and he suffered from frequent bouts of paranoia. He was always seeing specters in the shadows, or hearing voices conspiring against him, and he took his fear and anger out on the crew. A man can only be punished so many times for something he hasn't done before he lashes out, and despite the best efforts of myself and my fellow officers to fight the flames of insurrection, it wasn't long before a mutiny was undertaken. It was all I could do to save the life of the crazed captain from the rightfully angered men, while many of my fellow officers lost theirs, and I found myself locked in irons for my efforts. Unburdened of command, the men began to wander the sea aimlessly, gorging themselves on vittles and rum and freedom. I spent my time seeking my own freedom from captivity, and planning how to regain control of the ship. My plans were for naught, however, as one day I awoke to the sounds of clashing steel and the men, screaming. My gaoler ran from I knew not what to hide in the cell, and though I could not get him to recount what was going on above board, I was able to get him to release the captain and I from our shackles. What I saw above board defied definition, but it was all too familiar to the captain. He joined the middle of the fray with a shout of "Shadows! Whispers! drat you all to the hell you've dragged me back to!", before tackling one of the creatures overboard, following it over into the murky depths himself. I wanted to dive in myself, to relieve my senses of what I was experiencing, but instead I found the courage to regain control of the mutinous men and coordinate our retribution to give us an even chance. Though I still don't quite know how, we won the day, though only by the narrowest of margins: our ship was fire, and we had to escape in the lifeboat. Those few of us who survived were barely able to row our dilapidated dingy into the nearest port, where we drank rum until we could pretend we had forgotten what we had endured. I let the men disperse, though I found my way back to the fleet and active duty. Only death for their treason awaited them there, and they had already paid for their crimes ten times over with what happened that day. I slowly recovered to the point where I only thought of those horrors on stormy nights, but now, after seeing the Dark Star itself from the docks of Telos, I fear I never truly escaped that day at all. I only hope that my mind is capable of keeping itself stitched together more than poor Captain Cutter's was.

My dearest friend is Lt. R'chee K'nadee. We met during my first ship placement, while midshipmen under the command of Captain Sharpe, though R'chee had already been serving under Sharpe's command for some time before I came aboard. He had already had the displeasure of sharing the midshipmen's berth with Jacke Sympsin, quite possibly the foulest man I've come across during my years of service. I couldn't have asked for a worst introduction to being an officer had I thought to do so. Jacke was lazy and unskilled, older than R'chee and I by a decade, and quick to take his bitterness and disappointment out on the few people he could consider his junior officers: us. The men actually under his command were unruly, undisciplined, and as useful in a fight as Jacke himself. R'chee had drawn the majority of Jacke's ire by virtue of being the youngest of the midshipmen, but that honor fell to me when I came aboard. Forbidding me to sleep, stealing my rations, and forcing me to do his chores for him were all hardships I faced. If I dared refuse, who took out his frustrations twice fold on R'chee instead, which was an even worse fate I couldn't abide. I tried to entreat the other midshipmen to stand up with me to Jacke, but they were all too cowardly to do so. Eventually, I felt like I was left with no choice, and I challenged Jacke to defend his honor in a duel, to the death. He seemed to relish the opportunity to gun me down, but I could no longer live under the situation he had placed me. The day of the duel, we took a long boat from the ship and rowed to a nearby shore. The ship's barber-surgeon served as our official, to hopefully patch up any survivor, with R'chee serving as my second, but the fear I felt inside was only met by that which I could clearly read on his face. We took our ten paces, and listened to the barber-surgeon as he called out "1... 2..." *BANG*. Hot lead ripped through me, and I fell to the ground. I was vaguely aware of Jacke rushing towards me, shouting "I swear, my gun misfired! Is he dead? Did I kill him?" My head swam with more difficulty than my body ever has, but R'chee brought me back to cognition, bringing me to my feet, and making me realize that the bullet had gone through my shoulder, and that I would live. Jacke, disappointed, began to walk back to the boat, but the barber-surgeon stopped him, informing him "The duel is not over, Jacke. You must stand your ground and take fire from Kockbern." Jacke's reaction was initially one of disbelief, and he tried to push past the barber-surgeon, but R'chee, and even Jacke's own second, stepped in to block his path. Right then, his whole cruel facade seemed to drop in an instant, and he began to bawl, falling to his knees, pawing at me, and begging me to let him live. I only had one choice: I raised my pistol, wincing at the pain in my shoulder, aimed right between his eyes, then fired... into the air. "You aren't worth the bullet, Jacke," was all I said, as I holstered the gun, and started heading back to the longboat. What happened next, I only know what R'chee told me. Jacke apparently had taken umbrage to my insult, pulled a knife from his belt, and as I headed towards the boat, attempted to place it in my back. Thankfully, R'chee noticed, and beat him to the punch, quite literally. A set of irons, and a court martial later, and Jacke Sympsin had been dishonorably discharged from the Navy, and I owed a life debt to my dearest friend. If I ever see Jacke again, it will be too soon.

I sometimes find it difficult to follow the commands of my superior officers. I do not necessarily think it is because of any hubris on my own part; in fact, I often am very self critical for what I fell is a lack of courage, honesty, and loyalty, though whether others perceive the lack of these qualities in me, I cannot say. Nevertheless, there are times when I can't help but feel like the men in our command our treated too harshly, or that our captain is ignoring rational thinking for impassioned reactions, or that we as a nation are fighting the wrong war. I believe I have saved lives and done what is right when I choose to act in nonconformity with my orders, but it is doubtless that for it my career has suffered, and I have made enemies of those whose orders I have acted against.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 22, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nilashwar

Hi, hello, good day, and na'ama! I am Nilashwar the Tiger! Champion of love, warrior of Svakti, winner of hearts and minds, and all around man of fortune.

quote:

Where do you come from?

Oh, all over, oh beautiful one. But originally, as if you couldn't tell, Svaswarti - the city Vel Msthangar, to be precise. Indeed, that famous land of spice and cotton. It is a beautiful land, lush and green - ah, but visitors often find it too hot, until they try our food, at which point they proclaim it to be too hot. Can you truly blame us then for our passions which burn so bright? So you know much about my homeland? We are a rich land; the Goddess has blessed us considerably, and Svaswarti has never wanted for prosperity or wealth. Our economy, our achievements, our science - all glorious. And perhaps more importantly, our even more impressive navy - which is how most of Telos and Ismondel know of us. The military backbone and foodbowl of the Kalkonneth Alliance!

But perhaps you meant it less literal, in which case, I am from the Va'Vaagh - the House of the Tiger. We are one of the better off families, but I, sadly, am the second born son, and with four sisters at that. You must understand this means I am, to most aspects of my family, useless, fit only for arranged marriage - and what a noxious one they had planned! Ah, do not worry, my thaan, nothing came of it. There is one path to escape such measures - the clergy! And so I joined the non-church of the Goddess' fifth hand, the aspect of Svakdi, who renounces their past and protects the web from the outside.

quote:

It was the night of an eclipse - a sacred time, but a dangerous time, amongst my kin. It is a time for cleansing, in so many different ways - which means it is in turn a time for demon hunting. I was still just barely an initiate in the non-church of Svakdi at the time. A group, including myself, had traveled westwards after hearing tales of sinister happenings in a nearby village. While the city seemed normal at first, and the eclipse looked like it would go off without a hitch, suddenly, that faint light from the sun changed and all was bathed in monochrome. We could feel the web unravel around us as the rule of the Goddess was so sharply interrupted. Tamed animals, even beloved pets, suddenly grew feral and screamed, and those caged and chained whispers threats and promises of betrayal. The priests fell to their knees and began speaking in blasphemous tongues as peoples' shadows conspired against them, and fruit rotted away in their baskets, maggots squirming out, each one with the face of a loved one who had departed to join the Goddess.

It felt like hours. It was minutes. The eclipse ended...and then all was normal again.

The village is gone now. None would stay after it happened, and indeed that entire area has been declared unfit for living. Every time an eclipse is forseen, our most staunch and powerful demon hunters venture there to ensure nothing like that ever happens again. Last I knew, it had not. Perhaps our faith and the Goddess keeps the Void at bay once more. Or perhaps it has simply moved on. Or perhaps it is waiting.

quote:

One cannot be a gentleman of adventure without inevitably crossing paths - and blades - with another. And so, indeed, I have developed something of a rivalry with one María "Red-Hand" Barraza. In fact, calling it a mere rivalry perhaps does it a great deal of injustice! You must understand, I am not some simple brigand. I serve the Goddess loyally, follower her edicts happily, contribute to the great web, and, if I'm honest, am far more a lover then a fighter - though never think I am not skilled in both, my sweet. But her? A true devil of chaos and greed. She's got but one ship to her name - and that's all she needs, for as skilled as she is in blade and bullet, she is equally to be feared as a witch of the sea. Without her magic she fights as if she had the strength and bravado of ten men, and when she enters her witching trance, I've seen her call on waves to hurl Ismondelian frigates as if they the toys of children. Her name isn't a curse on the tongues of the Kalkonneth, for to even utter her name, it's thought, is to call her presence. And she's canny too, knows every secret channel and cave across the shores. She is a scourge of merchants, a robber of temples, and she doesn't even have the decency to be a hideous crone, what with that raven black hair and strong tanned - what, it sounds like I admire her? Do not be ridiculous! We are rivals, rivals! And nothing more, I promise!

quote:

As if there were more then one! Oh, sure, people will tell you - I am a lush, a fool, a womanizer, lead by greed and bravado. As if these were negative character traits! My singular flaw is that I sometimes - rarely! - fall ever so slightly short of my own ambitions!

~*~

Note on build: Currently Nilashwar is set to go down the path of cold damage uber alles in the future. If this ends up being discordant with the rest of the party, I can easily pull away from that.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 20, 2016

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Kiran Bhattacharya, Razorclaw Shifter Tigerfolk Monk, Opium Fiend

Hail, friend! Sit, sit. Enjoy some of this. Let it never be said that I am not a good host! A drink, perhaps? Come, friend. Let the day's troubles fade away. Speak to me! Tell me what ails you. Perhaps I can help, yes? Or my companions! If something burdens you, there is a good chance that we shall be able to fix it. And in the meantime, you can eat of my bread and drink of my wine. And smoke from my pipe, if you prefer? The product is good, I assure you. Only the highest quality!

I hail from the glorious city of Toherabad! The jewel of the south! Oh, but you should see the colors, my friend, the miles of glorious silks and mountains of pungent spices in the bazaar. Toherabadi hospitality is unmatched! Why, even our enemies are given the chance for tea and bread, in order to parley. Woe be he who crosses the Toherabad laws, though. Justice is swift, when our mind is set to it. But ah, you should see it for yourself! I could speak for days, but there's no word that will match your sight!

'twas in my youth, the spring years of my heroism. I was chasing a cult of sorts, into an old, abandoned temple. You know, the usual; cloaked figures, ominous chanting, ritual sacrifice. At any rate, I went down there full of youthful bravado and a spring in my step, confident in my ability to rout the thuggish clerks. That part was easy.

The hard part was the fact that their ritual had been completed, and they opened a portal to the Void. Right in front of me. I saw...many things. My young mind was irrevocably warped. Fortunately my companions were able to shut down the tear, but the damage had already been done. One of them died from a creature reaching out through the portal. And I - I survived, yes, but the experience remains with me to this day. Nightmares haunt me.

It is one of the reasons I smoke. Under the haze, the nightmares are dulled, or gone entirely. It keeps me tranquil.

My good friend Farel Hassin, who I first met in my dwellings after my encounter with the Void. He was a gentle soul, but shrewd, and he knew exactly what my tormented mind needed. Ever since, he has been my primary supplier; and I have been a loyal client. But there is more to our relationship than that! We have had good conversations, stimulated by tranquil minds, clear of worries to make way for simple focus. He knows my heart, and I know his. I owe him my loyalty, and I will protect him from whoever seeks him harm.

Admittedly, I lack the energy of my early days. I find myself working smarter, not harder; and I would prefer to lay back with a nice pipe on some comfortable cushions. Aye, I'll step up when I need to. I still have a sense of duty. But the people who know me don't expect much in the way of proactive behavior, and you shouldn't either.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 10, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Very extremely interested!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Diesa Stonegrip

My people are born as rocks, they told me; and sometimes I can hear them speak. I was born and raised to fight in the gladiator pits of Karshan, to fight for orcs until I died. One night though, some orcs thought that they had enough of me beating their enemies, so they tried to kill me. Tried being the operative word. It turns out that when you try to kill a dwarf that knows how to use her fists to kill, it turns out bad for you. I wouldn't have escaped if they hadn't paid off the guard and broke the lock trying to get to me. It meant that nobody knew that I was escaping before I was probably a mile out of the city. I made my way to Telos with naught but the clothes on my back and a few gold coins that I was able to get off of the orcs that I killed. I wandered around, hired myself out as a caravan guard and to a few adventuring companies. Then I saw the Dark Star rise, and I knew that I needed to fight this thing.

One of the orcs that tried to kill me had this wild look in his eye. When I crushed his skull, he didn't bleed. Instead he oozed this black ichor from his eyes and ears. It got all over my hands, and turned them to obsidian. I don't have a lot of dexterity with them, but I hit a hell of a lot harder now. It's odd, because I can still feel through them, they're just completely made of stone now.

Harkam wasn't a bad master as far as masters went. I did well, so while he didn't pay me, he showed me a lot of kindness that a lot of the other masters didn't. He got me fine food and drink, men when I wanted one, and even got me some silk sheets for my cot. I mean, he was still my slavemaster, but he never beat me when I lost him money and generally treated me like a subordinate rather than a slave. I always wondered what happened to him.

I'm none too bright, and I know almost nothing about the world outside the Pits. I couldn't tell you who the king or lord of some land is, and I was never taught how to read. You know what they say, when all you have is a pair of stone hands every problem looks like a punchable face.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 13, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Beef Brawler Fighter

Beef. Big and brawny, and dare I say it? Beefy. As long as Beef can remember he has been called Beef, he doesn't particularly remember his family or his earliest years, so he doesn't remember where the name came from, or whatever name he may have once had. So he is simply Beef. Not the smartest of names, but rather fitting.

Early on Beef was not an adventurer, no he was an odd jobs man, making use of his great strength to perform tasks for food, and occasionally money. And even occasionally ale. But even from a young age, though others might not realize how young he was at the time, he would take what little money he earned and go to a bar to get drunk. And even from a young age he would inevitably get into a bar brawl as some drunken fool decided to take on the big dumb idiot with the iron mask.

This did not go well for the drunken fools. Beef proved to a brutal bar room brawler. He could grab a man, and just keep holding on, it seemed almost impossible to get free of his grasp. And then you were at his mercy. Sadly this would mean that his drinking was done for the night, and likely the confiscation of all his remaining money. This continued for a number of years, Beef doesn't remember how many really but he was likely a full grown, and impressively built, man before that fateful night. That fateful night where his usual bar room brawl ended up encompassing a group of adventurers and explorers. The brawl was rather epic, but his prowess seemed to impress the adventurers, and they convinced him to travel the world with them and put his ability to use in a more productive, and lucrative manner.

Now a man truly, if not necessarily intellectually, he spent a number of years traveling, exploring and adventuring. He acquired a few interesting items, a picnic basket that seemed to have fresh food for him everyday, a satchel that when opens unfurls into a tent, complete with campfire! And most important of all a cask of glorious dwarven ale. Every day it seems to have a new fresh batch of ale for Beef.

Recently Beef separated from his adventuring group, as they went their own ways, some retiring, others looking into other jobs and missions. He found himself in Telos, touring the taverns along the docks, when the sky cracks open. He looks in confusion, sees the terror on the faces of others, and rushes to the most likely spot of danger.

Where do you come from?

Beef doesn't remember where he was born. His memories of the past are hazy, at best, but he thinks he vaguely remembers some large beasts with scaled hides and big teeth. Some caused the ground to shake when they walked, and some could eat a man whole in one bite. He thinks he may have punched some of them, and wrestled some of them, when he was a lad. This was before he started traveling all over and getting in numerous bar fights, let alone joining an adventuring group.

Ganan Gor the land of destruction. A blasted land overwhelmed by massive beasts, dinosaurs and dire animals. A land time forgot. The people there are hearty, but generally flee the dinosaurs or band together to bring one down. The greatest warriors will hunt a beast, kill it for its meat, and then use bones teeth and claws as the basis for weapons, or make armor out of their hides. But none of them are so suicidally stupid as to actually try and grapple one of these beasts. Well none except one child. But that child is long gone.

Beef don't remember. Beef always wear the mask? No Beef no wear mask when Beef first start journey, before the drinking and the bar fights, before adventuring,. before Telos. Beef no remember big beasts, no remember the stampede as they run in fear, no remember the dark light, the pain, the ugly. No. Beef always wear mask, Beef always travel. There was nothing before bar fights.

Long ago before Beef began traveling, and thus before he started getting into bar fights, when he was still fairly young but already built like a brick house, he lived in Ganan Gor, he witnessed the Void while there. The dinosaurs were frightened and stampeded, and even Beef was frightened at the time. He was still a child, massive though he may be, at the time. And something went wrong with his head. He felt a great deal of pain, and may have seen things he shouldn't have and it addled his already none to bright wits. This led to his leaving Ganan Gor and traveling, and once he discovered alcohol it may be what led to his tendency to drink.

Beef drink with many. Beef fight with many. Uh Beef travel with adventurers. Beef travel with lady. She wear small clothes and cape. Uh name Matrina the Blazing Comet. She have Wavy fiery hair. And she surprisingly strong, not as strong as Beef though! She lift hand then fire fall from the sky. Big fire. Leave fire burning where it land. Really big fire.

Matrina of the Blazing Comet is a high level, at least higher than Beef, Fire Genasi Pyromancer Wizard with the feat that lets her add her Strength modifier to her elemental damage.

Uh? What flaw?

Hint: Stupid.

pre:
Beef

HP: 54/54 (BV: 27)	AC:	22 	Passive Insight: 19
Surges: 10/10 (V:13)	Fort:	24 	Passive Perception: 19
Initiative: +6		Ref:	17	Vision: Normal
Speed: 5		Will:	16	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Primordial

Power Cards

At Will			  Encounter	
Grappling Strike	[ ] Second Wind		[ ] Surefooted Stride
Slash and Pummel	[ ] Heroic Effort	[ ] Bash and Pinion         
Combat Challenge	[ ] Forceful Drag	[ ] Bull Charge 	  

Daily: 
	          	[ ] Seize and Stab

Passives:
World Serpent's Grasp: When I hit something that is slowed or immobilized I knock it prone.
Inescapable Hold: Grabbed creatures must attempt to escape against my Fort, even when using Acrobatics.
Ki Focus Expertise: +1 damage against bloodied creatures.
Explorer: I can tell which direction is North, gain a +5 bonus to any skill check to avoid becoming lost, 
Combat Superiority: Add Wis mod (+1) to opportunity attack rolls, and opportunity attacks end movement
Combat Challenge:  Can mark target I attack until the end of my next turn.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 11, 2016

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Tamak Koel, Kenku Vampire.

Telos, it was as good a lead as any.

Tamak strolled his way down Telos' streets, a crumpled map of the city in one hand and a parasol held above him with the other; he had a condition that needed treating and the fine minds that were sure to gather at the Sallaran University would likely be of use to him. It was true that none of the great minds the Kenku had approached, either scientific or magical, had been of much use in the past century, but if you let small setbacks get to you? Unlife would simply crush you beneath its heel.

It would be debated upon later whether Tamak's presence in Telos the day the Dark Star appeared was simply coincindence or some form of divine providence, but he hadn't cared either way; the source of his misfortune had once again appeared in the skies over Telos, and with it some chance for redemption.

Where do you come from?

Tamak was born and raised on a farm on the northern tip of Alemis. His family had worked for the Valmar family for generations hunting the Lord's lands and raising crops for the Lord's larders.

In his teenage years Tamak and many of his fellow youths were pulled many miles south, to live and work for Lord Valmar at his keep, the threat of border skirmishes a common topic of the times. Tamak earned a name for himself and travelled across Alemis for a time under the Valmarin banner, years later settling back into the Valmar keep to serve as a house guard.

Tamak wasn't always the undead creature he is today. A century ago, give or take a few years, he'd been content to sit at Lord Valmar's keep, plugging away the days in relative peace, but when the Dark Star appeared things couldn't stay the same.

The confusion and distrust the Dark Star sowed throughout the land was only intensified by the appearance of the Void's creatures, the Lords of Alemis falling to their base natures and attempting to seize each other's lands in a foolish power grab.

It was as the Valmar millitia began to gear itself for war that a wave of the Void creatures descended upon the keep, it was a brief battle and Tamak kissed his life away as he threw himself between Lord Valmar and one of the charging terrors.

Much to the Kenku's surprise he woke up in the ruins of the keep later that evening, no longer quite who he used to be; nearly burning to death as the sun rose on the first day of his new un-life had been a big clue as to what he had become however.

His time since the fall of Valmar's keep has been spent wandering the world in search of clues as to the nature of his conditional immortality, seeking out a way to remove his curse or better yet a way to remove the downsides and enter into a life of functional immortality. Information has been fairly sparse recently however, and in the meantime Tamak has devoted himself to exploring what life has to offer and to helping those less fortunate than himself whenever he can.

Tamak has left a string of "friends" behind him as he has traveled the world, on the odd occasion his vampiric tendencies have surfaced and needed staunching. With a bit of luck and guile he'd been able to suss out members of the lower classes or criminal element who could be kept quiet and would allow him a drink or two from their veins in exchange for a healthy sum of coin.

Some 30 years ago Tamak stumbled upon the find of his unlifetime, or rather he was stumbled upon. Sister Patience of the Society of Sensations found Tamak hiding from the blazing sun in a shady alleyway, the former priestess turned sensate not at all afraid of Tamak's circumstances.

The Order was an oddity to Tamak, groups of people gathering in odd patches around the world to truly experience everything the world had to offer, pain, pleasure, misery, and joy; the Society was on the prowl for all earthly experiences that were on offer.

Sister Patience recognizing a lucrative deal for her order offered Tamak a deal; honorary membership in the Society in exchange for his services. Food for Tamak in exchange for well measured pain delivered to the initiates of the Society, so many of life's experiences were easy enough to dole out relatively safe measures, not so in the case of near-deat experiences..

Tamak was initially put off by the odd Sister and her Society, but who was he to complain? It was simpler to experience the rare guilt free meal on people who wanted to live through an unpleasant thing, it wasn't as though he had an infinite backing to be spending hundreds or thousands of gold a year on hush money to criminals or, if the worst came to pass, having to secret away the corpse of someone he had accidentally murdered in a fit of hunger.

Aside from the whole burning to death in the sun thing? Tamak feels an incredible guilt about his existence, he was one of the few folk left "alive" in the aftermath of the incursion at Valmar's keep who were normal enough to be allowed to head back into the world.

Tamak's guilt manifests directly in a reluctance to feed so that he may sustain his form. Over the years he's learned to heavily curb his appetite through an extreme focus on small distractions such as card games, but it has led to his frustrations coming to bear on his opponents in combat, his scruples over feeding slipping in the heat of things and reinforcing his guilty conscience in the aftermath.

Mechanics things
Vampire Undeath: If Tamak is in full sunlight and happens to be caught with his pants down he'll take 5 radiant damage and becomes save ends weakened. If he's knocked down to 0hp by sun based radiant damage he is immediately destroyed.

I don't intend on him running around in his undergarments that often so it shouldn't be a prevalent mechanic, but it could be relevant if there's a city that required people to not conceal themselves in loose clothing or something like that.

pre:
Tamak

HP: 40/40 (BV: 20)	AC:	20 	Passive Insight: 12
THP: 0	                Fort:	16 	Passive Perception: 12
Surges: 2/2 (V:10)	Ref:	19	Vision: Darkvision
Initiative: +6	        Will:	19	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6                Hof7D Charges: 0/7

Power Cards

At Will		  Encounter		  Daily
Dark Beckoning	  [ ] Second Wind	  [ ] Swarm of Shadows
Taste of Life	  [ ] Blood Drinker    
Vampire Slam      [ ] Flock Tactics 	  Items
Assassin's Shroud [ ] Charming Gaze       [ ] Soul Siphon (D)
Hof7D Scan        [ ] Feral Assault       [ ] Helm of 7 Deaths (E)
Hof7D Drain       [ ] Strength of Blood   [ ] Helm of 7 Deaths (D)   

Triggered Powers:
OA: Vampire Slam- 1d20+8 vs Ref for 1d10+10 damage and push 2.
OA Mod: If hitting non-minion and Blood Drinker is avaliable expend it
and deal an additional 1d10 damage+ Tamak gains a surge.

Passives:
Blood is Life: Short rest- Convert ally's surge to BV in HP.
Enduring Soul: 4 hp regen while bloodied.
Flock Effect: Tamak gains +3 to-hit from flanking.
Gauntlets of Blood+Ki Focus expert: +3 damage vs bloodied targets.
Society of Sensation: Gain 2 THP after using an encounter/daily attack power.

Resist: 5 Necrotic
Vulnerable: 5 Radiant, interrupts regen until EoMnT

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 22, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
wip

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 13, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Gallow

wip

Aerie Templar (Place Inhabitants is how the Dragonborn name areas). It is a monastery built on top of a once cursed Greatpine that was purified by a great bolt of holy lightning. Under its charcoal bark is petrified wood, "like marble" according to the earthbound folk. Our people send the Winged here to likewise be purified by the trials. Many leave as coal or ash, but I am "like marble."

I executed an irredeemable by the noose of holy silver thunderbolts, but its head was like the stopper to a decanter full of darkness like the sky on a moonless night. Ever since my escape back to the light my scales have become dark and matte. Yet, as an executioner I am meant to evoke fear of retribution, so the appearance of the shadow of death is as effective as the blinding mirror of my peers. The visage I used to share with them.

A netherling, from the underworld. Bernhardt the "infernal dwarf warlock," insignia of the burning heart. He was always a foe whose pact with and luck of the devil allowed him to escape justice, but the coming of the void empowered his patron and, therefor, him. Summoning spectral arms grabbing through the bars that separate the world of the living and the dead allows him to flee my earthbound colleagues, and I am bound by my laws to see above all that the weak are defended, no matter how tempting it is to chase the oppressor instead.

I am told that underestimate the importance of low, earthly, "practical" concerns. "Keeping an ear to the ground," "watching my step," "seeing eye to eye," "not talking down to people." None are as worthy pursuits and watching from on high, putting my best foot forward, devoting myself to my laws and principles, and not bringing myself down to their level.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 21, 2016

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Zan

Where do you come from?

Far to the south, beyond even fabled Toherabad, one can find the Tuzapan Jungle. Ages ago, the jungle was home to a thriving civilization. Now only the resident halflings know that the occasional rise and hillock on the mostly flat terrain likely conceals a thoroughly looted ancient building. A hundred years ago, even the residents had no idea that deep beneath the earth was an ancient prison, designed to hold those evils deemed less risky to hold eternally than to destroy.

Any prison needs guards, even when the prisoners are trapped in bubbles of frozen time. In a prison where the prisoners can't escape, you need the guards to keep anyone from getting in and releasing the prisoners. Thus the ancients crafted immortal guardians to keep intruders (accidental or intentional) from setting the prisoners free. Zan was the leader of a small group designated as initial reinforcements to any nearby location where the first line of guardians was breached. He was smaller than the warrior designs, but given considerably more mental and improvisational ability. He was also given rudimentary skill with the rune magic of the ancients; enough that he might help maintain the prison's wards.

Zan was not the true masterpiece of the ancients. In the prison's heart were builders, leaders, and the most skilled rune workers the ancients could create, all works far beyond any alive today. Yet in the modern world, Zan is a wonder to educated practitioners of the arts and sciences, with his free will and ability to grow and change. To the common person, of course, Zan is an oddity, but not that much stranger than a magically propelled cart or an electric arc lantern.

How have you touched the Void previously?

One hundred years ago, the Dark Star appeared. In the north, history records its appearance as the herald of Alemis' fall. In the south, the Dark Star is most closely associated with a plague of horrors.

Deep underground in the prison, the defenders might have prevailed if the Dark Star's appearance merely weakened the stasis runes or unleashed a single horror. When every prisoner was released at once, the guards had no chance. The leaders were overwhelmed in the first moments. It was sheer luck that Zan and his squad survived; they were simply located on the opposite side of the complex from the horrors' escape route.

With their original purpose now impossible, Zan decided to set out in pursuit of the former prisoners. The golem knew that recapturing the escapees was unlikely, but it was the best they could do under the circumstances.

Who have you become friends/enemies with on your journeys?

The circumstances of artificial life in an underground prison were not conducive to the formation of friendships, but several millennia is a long time and Zan and his troops slowly developed more distinctive personalities and individual relationships. Those relationships vanished with the squad's first encounter with one of the escapees.

Whether lazier or more vindictive than the other horrors, some sort of shapeshifting crocodilian being ambushed Zan and his troops mere miles from the prison's exit. Given that it was their first real combat, Zan and his troops acquitted themselves well; each of the warriors managed to inflict a meaningful wound as they were ripped to shreds and the creature fled with Zan still undamaged. And alone.

In his century of wandering the world since, Zan has learned far more about life than in the millenia underground. He numbers among his defeated or escaped enemies a number of villains hoping to enslave him, but none stand out. His friendships have tended to begin with curiosity on the part of the other party and grow from there.

In Telos, Zan has formed perhaps his strongest friendship yet, with a scholar named Giacomo. The two were initially drawn together by their mutual tongue of Draconic, Zan's native tongue and a major interest of Giacomo's. Now Zan lodges in Giacomo's cellar in exchange for cleaning, translation assistance, and other minor favors while Zan pursues his ongoing quest to master the ancients' rune magic and find clues to the location of any of the prison's escapees.

"He doesn't know when to quit."

It's a curious phrase, meaning one thing when admiringly describing the heroic adventurers who inhabit the pages of the penny dreadfuls and quite another when applied to overeager suitors by Telosian ladies rich and poor.

When Zan awoke to the flickering pulse of the prison's fading alarm spell, the phrase was literally true. His creators had not deprived Zan and the other guardians of this knowledge in hopes that their creations would fight to a suicidal end; it was simply a matter of space. They'd already had to invent new magics to enable them to see and write small enough to get all of the required runes on the surface of the guardians. Even with Zan, their masterpiece, there just wasn't space for anything deemed extraneous.

This lack probably wouldn't have been a problem if Zan and his squad had remained in their expected role of preventing intruders from freeing the prisoners. Thrust into the role of pursuers, scholars, and explorers, it was a frequently fatal flaw. Luckily, his creators had anticipated the need to adapt and learn to overcome unforeseen problems. After the very brutal lesson of losing his troops early on and a century of less painful incidents, Zan has reached the point where he intellectually understands that sometimes retreat is a good idea. That's still a long way from the visceral fear and adrenaline felt by the living when the odds appear insurmountable; the end result is that Zan frequently gets in over his head.

------

From a far off continent, slumbering guardian of an ancient prison. Prison's wards finally gave way a hundred years ago the last time the Void returned. Unfortunately, the guardian woke up last and has been wandering the world trying to track down the escapees ever since.

I have no idea if runepriest is any good, but the golem is clearly animated by rune magic so I'm messing around with that first. Also, I gotta say it is sad that the Runic Weapon magic item is useless for a runepriest. :(

-------

I customized things so the Wrathful Hammer class feature also gave proficiency with Battlefist, because having the golem punch blazing blue runes into people sounded cooler than a mace. I also made the Rousing Hammer weapon enchantment work with maces because the Aleheart set seems fun and I'm pretty sure letting people stand up is not a part of any game-breaking combos.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 20, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Pick me! I'm Mr. Fowl and so's my wife!

Given the advanced level of technology present in the culture, I presume Artificers are kosher?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Given the advanced level of technology present in the culture, I presume Artificers are kosher?

Yes, for sure!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Did a bunch of rewrites and added some power cards in, but I think I can finally take my hands off the character. :v: If I don't stop now I'll just keep tweaking things forever haha.

e: I lied and added a context blurb for why Tamak would be in Telos to begin with. :v:

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 12, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Decided to go for a Warden instead of an avenger

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Dragonborn (Kapak) Hunter will be up later today.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Gareth, Goliath Cleric (Knight Hospitaler theme)

A knight from The Land of Giants on a quest to cure his brethren from a curse bestowed by a manifestation of the void. Steadfast and patient, he seeks the good in people, while still keeping a firm grip on his broken blade.

Where do you come from?

Alban. It is known to many as the Land of Giants. An insular nation, it seems to have resisted the changing times, still reliant on laws and practices laid out in its foundation, still a land of knightly orders and ruled by a king. Recently however, the ban on arcane practices has been overturned by the king, her motive is unknown.

The reason for such a ban existing lies in the country's creation, where the land was once ruled by wizards, each of whom vied for power over the others. Their battles scarred the earth, and demons walk in the blasted lands of their ancient skirmishes. They were eventually overthrown by the god-king Atracha, who created the laws of the land, as well its the official religion: the cult of the king, where rulers are regarded as divine. The people of Alban rarely forget a grudge, and thus king's decree or no, they still hold deep prejudice against arcane practitioners.

Despite there being an official religion, the people still worship the old gods, and the spirits that lie within the forests and at the cross roads.

There are two prominent orders of knights: The Order of Cold Iron, and the Order of The Flame. Gareth is from the former, they are an organisation who seize cursed artifacts and either exorcise them, destroy them if necessary, or seal them away until a time is reached where they can be dealt with. They regard the virtues of patience and compassion most highly, and act as a mediating presence in the king's court. The latter act as the right hand of the King, enforcing the land's laws and fighting back any demonic hordes should they arise. Currently The Order of Cold Iron has been greatly weakened, while The Order of The Flame seem to be turning their eyes outward, urging the king to begin an age of conquest.

How have you touched the Void previously?

“Another tomb of the Nameless Ones had been discovered, and with it a terrible artifact of the old world. Only known as The Eye, inscriptions within the tomb told of its power to strike down mortal creatures who met its gaze. My order was sent to destroy it. We arrived in force, ready to banish any demonic guardians who still served the wretched mage, but found none. Once we happened upon the artifact's location, my brothers and sisters immediately began the rite of purification. Partway through there was a sound like shattering glass magnified and warped. Black vines erupted from the object and ran through dozens of my fellow knights. Once struck their forms became twisted, corrupted things barely resembling the people they once were.

The shield of Atracha was with me that day, for I was the only one to be spared from that curse, my sword took the blow in my stead. I was the only one to perform the rite of sealing on the stone doors of that wretched place. The only one to stand before the court and tell the king of her loss.

I came to know this as a manifestation of The Void.

The king has tasked me with the quest of finding a cure to this void sickness by any means necessary.

It is one I shall see through to the end.”

Who have you become friends/enemies with on your journeys?

“In my travels, I have made a few friendly aquaintances, but none shall I remember more than an undead who called himself Deal. I found him on the road amidst the wreckage of his wagon. Bandits apparently. Soon we became fast friends, his curiosity about the land from which I came and his dry sense of humour were welcome on what had been a lonely adventure. His mastery of alchemy was also most welcome. Many did question why a man of the divine was walking with an undead, and I told them, as I will tell you now: In Alban one only returns because the god has called them back. We have since parted ways, him having to report his losses to the company "Leviathan" and I myself pursuing my quest elsewhere."

What is one your flaws?

Like many who reside in Alban, Gareth holds a deep prejudice towards those who practice magic and regards them with utmost suspicion until they have proven themselves trustworthy, despite his best efforts to correct this behaviour.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 17, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
still going Warlock; settled on Infernal pact; changing fluff

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Baronet Jasper von Arkentome
Subordinate Minister for Scientific Thaumaturgy in the Glorious Empire of Ismondel's
Ministry of Innovation, Siegecraft, and the Bellicose Disciplines

Human Artificer (Leader)

"Greetings, Lady Priscilla. I have the honor of being Baronet Jasper von Arkentome, Subordinate Minister for Scientific Thaumaturgy in the Ministry of Innovation, Siegecraft, and the Bellicose Disciplines of the Glorious Empire of Ismondel. On behalf of Acting Chief Minister Marionarsis Fax, I most humbly thank you for your gracious reception of our delegation by your Praesidium of Foreign Affairs and Trade. We eagerly anticipate an extended period of mutually beneficial and fruitful exchange, especially with regards to our nations’ respective innovations in arcane applications."

Where are you from?
Jasper hails from Kazaril, the very heart of the most civilized of all the realms of Men — the Glorious Empire of Ismondel.

"Of course you may peruse my dossier at your leisure if you have not done so already, but allow me to share with you the most relevant elements, that you may understand the breadth and depth of my expertise and authority in these matters:

"I — and many of my family — served with distinction from the earliest days of Ismondel’s Struggle for Unity. Once Unity was achieved, our unswerving loyalty was recognized by the Immaculate Incarnation of Erathis, Emperor Ordus Martensite, when he declared the Arkentome family to be one of the Twelve Pillars of the Glorious Empire of Ismondel. To be sure, during the dark times of The Struggle, I conscientiously prosecuted my duties upon the battlefield, primarily as an adjutant within the command staff of the Arkentome Legionnaires. But I am proud to say that, even during the period when there was some…disagreement regarding the respective territorial and economic claims of Telos and Ismondel, I never saw cause to raise my wand against any of the servants of Lady Octavia, having faith that the guiding light of Erathis, God of Progress, would ensure that any such conflicts achieved the most equitable outcome in the most civilized manner possible.

"Having said that, I am grateful that all of the enemies I have faced thus far have had the good grace to do their bleeding and dying some distance away, and never to strike at me directly. Injured and maimed allies were challenging enough to deal with; I have little desire to indulge in the sight of my comrades’ blood, much less my own! Fortunately, my recent retirement from active duty to take up a Ministerial appointment has allowed me to pursue my desired arcane specializations at a significantly further remove from the perils of warfare."

Jasper is not particularly brave, and being too close to real physical danger or its aftermath (like spilled blood — his own or anyone else’s) leaves him a bit queasy.

"Yes, well, I see that you have already undertaken to learn more about me than what is detailed in my official dossier. I would expect no less from a conscientious public servant such as yourself.

"Your information is accurate; I was present during the event known as the Mechanicus Tower Tragedy. While I am abjured from revealing the precise extent of the Ministry’s conjurative experimentation, suffice to say that it was one of our early attempts at harnessing the vast potential of various extraplanar energies. I just happened to be within the adjacent enclosure designed for the safe mixing of alchemical reagents when the Tragedy struck. It was the impervious nature of the glassteel partitions — ironically, intended to contain unforseen mystical effects within, rather than shield from such effects without — that protected me when the structural supports gave way and the Tower imploded.

You’ve touched the Void at least once before. How did it happen?
What Jasper has never told a single soul is what transpired prior to the Tower collapsing around him. The glassteel partitions being transparent, he had a clear view when the (former) Chief Minister’s conjuration opened a conduit to the Void within the summoning chamber. He saw the horror when the mage-technicians were sucked bodily into the Vortex, their writhing forms stretched taut like bowstrings. And he saw the moment that the Minister’s mind was shattered and he set upon his surviving aides, tearing at them with his misshapen fingers and nightmarishly protruding teeth. It was, indeed, a mercy that the Tower came down when it did, for it was the only thing that prevented the misbegotten creature that the Chief Minister had become from unleashing its fury upon Jasper -- and upon the rest of the unsuspecting populace of Kazaril.

"In truth, the aftermath of the Tragedy did see me reassigned from the Ministry’s research and development facilities to this delegation to Lady Octavia, but I hasten to add that the Emperor's Inquest determined there was no culpable wrongdoing by any party to this unforseen event. Our new Acting Chief Minister appointed me personally to this task — would he have done so if he had the slightest doubt as to my suitability for the role? Indeed I take it to be a great honor to myself and to my Family to represent the Divine Son of Erathis, at whatever remove, in his interactions with the blessed Lady Octavia. I just pray that those who remain in Kazaril see the wisdom in my voluminous reports urging that they cease all funding for into their so-called 'Dark Energy' research projects."

Describe a friend and/or enemy you’ve made in your journeys.
While Jasper is quite well-suited for his present duties, Acting Chief Minister Marionarsis Fax is totally using him as the scapegoat for the Tragedy. Sending the sole survivor away for a “prestigious” international appointment not only prevents him from defending his reputation in the face of scurrilous rumors, but also quells any undesirable debate or ongoing gossip surrounding the Tragedy among the uneasy populace. As an added bonus, it also curtails (at least to some extent) the incessant badgering from Jasper himself. Because of course Fax is absolutely determined to continue pursuing the previous Minister’s ill-advised course of research — after all, what could possibly go wrong... again?

"Now then, my Lady, I percieve that our delegation’s unique conveyance intrigues you. Our elemental steamship journey from Kazaril was most comfortable, and rather shorter in duration than the extant alternatives — I do not doubt that we left port a good week later than that Kalkonneth galleon just reaching her mooring now. The engineering advances that have allowed us to disregard contrary winds or tides will most assuredly be a boon to all future travel and commerce between our respective nations. I understand your government is investing heavily in the research infrastructure of Sallaran University; I do hope to speak with the relevant administrators at the University very soon on the topic of licensing the elemental admixture process crucial to the elemental steamship's propulsion. If you would care to come aboard with me, it would be my distinct pleasure to give you the first opportunity to view the wondrous nature of the vessel that we have christened The Journey of Progress. Watch your step, my lady…"

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 25, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Hey Mince, I was considering changing Chen's Dwarven language to Druidish since that makes far more sense for the character, and Dwarven was basically a filler pick. Wanted to get your go-ahead though to see if it's cool first though to pick a "secret language" as the builder calls it.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I was thinking along the same lines as TheFireMagi :v:, I had Tamak has a Vile Scholar for his theme initially; to represent his trying to find out about the void. Vile Scholar grants access to Abyssal which I imagine would be the closest thing to a voidtongue there would be haha.

The game restricts you from picking Abyssal or Supernal as 1st level languages, but I'm wondering, since we're starting at 4th, if it's okay to snag whichever of the two would be more appropriate for someone trying to figure out the Void.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TheFireMagi posted:

Hey Mince, I was considering changing Chen's Dwarven language to Druidish since that makes far more sense for the character, and Dwarven was basically a filler pick. Wanted to get your go-ahead though to see if it's cool first though to pick a "secret language" as the builder calls it.

Yeah, Druidish is totally cool! I could have some fun with that in game.

Successful Businessmanga posted:

I was thinking along the same lines as TheFireMagi :v:, I had Tamak has a Vile Scholar for his theme initially; to represent his trying to find out about the void. Vile Scholar grants access to Abyssal which I imagine would be the closest thing to a voidtongue there would be haha.

The game restricts you from picking Abyssal or Supernal as 1st level languages, but I'm wondering, since we're starting at 4th, if it's okay to snag whichever of the two would be more appropriate for someone trying to figure out the Void.

Hm, Supernal might be more appropriate here. If I recall correctly though, Supernal has the property of being universally understandable; I'm okay with you taking it but maybe there should be some small downside at least at first if you're using it to communicate with something other than void creatures?

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 14, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Mince Pieface posted:

Yeah, Druidish is totally cool! I could have some fun with that in game.

Sounds good, and sheet updated. Just says secret language since you can't actually specify though, because... :v:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

Hm, Supernal might be more appropriate here. If I recall correctly though, Supernal has the property of being universally understandable; I'm okay with you taking it but maybe there should be some small downside at least at first if you're using it to communicate with something other than void creatures?

Looked it up in the compendium and the universal language thing only applies in the case of Gods and their angelic servants fortunately, when they speak in Supernal they can choose to have the creatures they're talking to comprehend their words in a native language, a God talking in Supernal and refusing to do that would only be understood if the creature knew Supernal as well. Creatures with the immortal origin that speak it can understand any language written or spoken, but they can't do the universal translation thing.

I'm completely fine with hobbled Supernal in relation to non-void speakers though, either as a permanent thing or something that is upgraded in time. I imagine Tamak speaking Supernal to a non-Void critter would sound similar to a phrase run through multiple languages on a translation website; "My name is Tamak, I am a bird." becoming "My name is, you're the bird, it's not" Any godly figure or immortal gets what he's talking about because of the universal translation sure, but it sounds appalling, and any non-god/immortal that happens to speak the language has no idea what he's on about.

e: Alternatively we just go Secret Language(Void) and sidestep a headache haha.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 14, 2016

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Gina The Youngling

...In the seventh era, heralded in with the crowning of the Empress Adea, saw to an increased effort to end piracy plaguing the seas by order of the Empress herself in response to the Dread Pirate Silver-Eye's raid upon the Imperial Palace during her coronation where Silver-Eye and his crew stole at least the Sword of the First Emperor, the Tears of the Heavens as well as all the gold in the treasury and allegedly much more, though no further claims could be confirmed at time of writing. What would later be called the Pirate Crusade would start well but a mere-"Regina, Mistress Lusolth has called for you!"

Gina's head pops up from the old book, looking to the wizened kobold. "Oh! She's back already? Let me put this back-"

"It is important, the book can wait, Mistress should not."

Carefully Gina lays the old book back down on the table and replies "Okay." before following the shorter reptile out of the library and straight into the rough natural cave beyond the stone doors that silently swing shut behind the two, the fine marble doorway standing out from the rock surrounding it. The two walk down the hall, silence only broken from the faint sound of the sea and the pair's own footsteps. Gina absent mindedly scratches at the latest patch of scales to come in. Lusolth had said that, while not normal, was something that could happen considering the circumstances of her learning. That she had hardly gotten any taller during her ten years of tutelage was more surprising than gaining draconic aspects. Arriving at another set of marble doors Gina's eyes drift to the lit sconces, normally unnecessary since she began to see as well as her teacher in even pitch-black darkness, unless... "Ulkesk, is someone else here?"

"Yes, Captain Smithe is with the mistress now."

Gin's eyes light up and she hurriedly pushes open the marble doors. Within stands a human and a bronze dragon lounging on a pile of coins and gems while admiring one of many statues encircling the hoard, this one in particular with some specs of dirt and grime still stubbornly sticking to it.

The dragon lets out a low rumble, almost a purr, before speaking "Truly the sculptor captured the regal bearing, the calm and firm gaze and squared shoulders, marks of a worthy leader. Once the kobolds thoroughly clean it I will have the greatest works of a generation as my own. A momentous occasion, wouldn't you agree, Captain?"

The lady pirate shifts, clearly less impressed by the sculpture than the dragon dwarfing her, before she spots Gina approaching. Giving a small wave and a quick smile, she turns back to the dragon. "Aye ma'am, though I think there's sum'thin' jus' a bit more noteworthy today."

Lusolth's gaze lingers a moment longer on the statue, before turning to face Smithe and Gina and her eyes alight and gives a slight smile. "Ah, Ulkesk has fetched you youngling."

Gina gives a respectful bow before replying "You called for me, teacher?"

"Yes, as you may have heard the Captain remark, today is momentous. For today you will leave my lair, my territory, and go out into the world for yourself."

Gina hesitates, eyes looking back and forth before excitedly asking "Really? Are you sure I'm ready?"

This elicits a light chuckle from Lusolth. "Never before have I been as sure of something, youngling."

Gina, unable to hide her smile, bows once more before replying "Of course teacher, thank you!"

"Come now youngling," Lusolth says with the same small smile "No need to be so formal this day. Here, I have gifts for you." And with precision born of perfect knowledge of the contents of the hoard the large dragon's claw enters the pile and retrieves a small chest and delivers it to the arms of Gina. "Within you'll find an enchanted dagger and robes, so you can protect yourself as required, as well as a tome containing rituals that might help on your journeys."

As Gina accepts the chest and hugs the claw in one smooth motion "Thank you so much Lusolth, for everything."

"Of course, youngling." is Lusolth's reply.

Finally the captain clears her throat. "An' there's sum'thin' from me an' the 'bolds, more mundane than th' Mistress' gifts, though ye'll need t' wait 'til yer on the ship t' see 'em."

"I get to sail with you!?" And before the captain can reply, Gina gives her a big hug and continues "Thank you so much Ash!"

The captain returns the hug "O' course lass, o' course. Jus' remember it's Captain Smithe in front o' th' crew."

"But Lusolth doesn't have to do that."

"Well when yer ten time me size ye can call me whatever whenever y'drat well please. But 'til then it's Captain Smithe when we're in front o' me boys."

Enthusiasm uncurbed, Gina renews her tight hug with the captain "Okay Ash!" which elicits a half-hearted shrug from the captain and a quiet chuckle from the dragon.

Where do you come from?
"Oh, uh... I'm sorry, my mentor doesn't want me to tell anyone where they live and I promised I wouldn't. But I could tell you about it! It's super big and full of all kinds of neat stuff my mentor found and made over their long life! Not just magic weapons and stuff but paintings and statues from Alemis and Ismondel and Telos, and some from places I haven't heard of before! And the library is full of books, also from all sorts of places and people! I don't think I've seen as many books in one place and I've been to a few libraries since I left."

You've touched the void once before. How did it happen?
"...The void is what happened to my first home. I don't remember much, my mom waking me up, trying not to panic. Even back then I could tell. We ran out behind the house, smoke filled the air and I heard yelling... and screaming. I looked back and there were... things, coming towards us, moving like a doll, stiff and jerking each movement like an unseen hand was posing each limb one at a time. And that's when I saw them. Diving out of the air through the smoke they roared lightning that blasted the inky dolls away. The ones following me and my mom turned to face them, their stuttering movements quickening as they dragged themselves to try and strike him, but they were too strong, too good for even the unnatural speed they suddenly had as a peal of thunder erupted from their mouth and scattered the rest of the void things, easily being scoured away by the lightning that followed the thunder. That's why I asked them to teach me to be like them, strong and powerful so I could protect people like that."

Oh, I saw my old friend Henriette on my way here! She didn't recognize me until she heard me talk for a bit. She left town to be a wizard's apprentice, uh, before the void... Happened. But she looked fine and knew a lot of magic, and she was real surprised to hear that I had learned some magic too! Especially when she heard who my teacher was! I, uh, might have let that slip to her when I wasn't supposed to, but it's fine, we were best friends before she left to learn wizardry, I can trust her.
Henriette sees Gina more as a rival.

Oh, um... Well As-Uh.... My, fencing, instructor? Always told me I'd lead a bloody wolf to my grandma's house if it asked nicely. And she's not wrong, a talking wolf whose hurt needs help and they just asked me for help, how could I not do something?

ArkInBlack fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 22, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Bouquet posted:

I customized things so the Wrathful Hammer class feature also gave proficiency with Battlefist, because having the golem punch blazing blue runes into people sounded cooler than a mace. I also made the Rousing Hammer weapon enchantment work with maces because the Aleheart set seems fun and I'm pretty sure letting people stand up is not a part of any game-breaking combos.

Sounds fine!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Suh, Void Balance

The people rightly fear the Void. It devours even light and hope.
Yet destruction is required for creation.

Long in secret have I campaigned to halt the excesses of "new," but the pendulum swings now to our world's doom.

So now to save those who toil, Suh of the Balance resists the Void.

The traitor known as the Void Balance should be brought in for questioning immediately upon sighting. They are believed responsible for the sabotage of the New District Factory for Armaments, the destruction of the Fresco of Progress, general incitement of workers to unionization, encouraging strikes, impersonating an officer of the law, and vandalism.

They have dubbed me the Void Balance. They seek to slander me by associating me with the thing the workers fear more than their exploiters. But, perhaps that is for the best, in a way. They fail to understand the power a title can grant, a title that all but replaces a name. And it is not as if they are innocent of association with the Void themselves...

Where do you come from?
Where I was born- where I still remain- is the New District of Kazaril. New, of course, being a pretty coat of paint over the suffering within. The more proper word is Poor.

I was... specially talented. So I was offered a way out. Of course I took it. And from my new high perch, I looked back and saw the suffering of those I- society- had left behind.

So Surana, the up and coming social climber, died in a mysterious accident. The Void Balance was all that remained.

The destruction of the Factory for Armaments was not some petty statement. It was a necessity. Do you know what I found inside? The source of the new weapons that punch through even the strongest plate?

The Void itself. They thought they could bind it to their whims, intoxicated on the power of their engines. The occasional devoured worker- a worthy sacrifice to a new power.

I made sure they were wrong. The backwash overwhelmed me, and I saw a glimpse of our future. So I am here.

I am sure the good Inspector Creed has not yet given up on dragging me to the gaol. We were friends, once, when I was on the path to being a negotiator for the ruling class. But that is the past, and now, he is simply a detective in pursuit of his prey. I bear him no ill will, other than for his lack of perspective. He is persistent, and principled, but he serves the wrong masters and is too blind to see the threat in front of his face.

I no longer trust easily. Too many "fellow travelers" have turned and sought to destroy me for the sake of their "progress." I hold my cards very close to my chest... even when trust would be the smarter option. Or so they say.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 15, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Couple of questions:

I don't plan on being in melee combat much (if ever). Can I have a feat to swap my RBA-relevant ability (that is, Int for Dex) instead of my MBA-relevant ability (currently, Int for Str). Or is that too powerful?

You specify that "If your ability score bonus in a trained skill is less than 2, treat the bonus as if it were 2" -- is that Ability only <2, or Ability +1/2 Level <2? I assume it's the former, but I jut wanted to be sure, because it affects several of my skills.

I have a few feat/power options I haven't selected between yet -- do you want all those sorted before the deadline, or just before the game actually starts (assuming I'm chosen)?

I had thought that Elven would be a good second language for someone who studies fantasy technologies, but given the discussion thus far, maybe there's a better option for someone steeped in arcane lore?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Couple of questions:

I don't plan on being in melee combat much (if ever). Can I have a feat to swap my RBA-relevant ability (that is, Int for Dex) instead of my MBA-relevant ability (currently, Int for Str). Or is that too powerful?

You specify that "If your ability score bonus in a trained skill is less than 2, treat the bonus as if it were 2" -- is that Ability only <2, or Ability +1/2 Level <2? I assume it's the former, but I jut wanted to be sure, because it affects several of my skills.

I have a few feat/power options I haven't selected between yet -- do you want all those sorted before the deadline, or just before the game actually starts (assuming I'm chosen)?

I had thought that Elven would be a good second language for someone who studies fantasy technologies, but given the discussion thus far, maybe there's a better option for someone steeped in arcane lore?

That doesn't sound too bad. If it becomes problematic I'll let you know.
For skills, I'm referring to the ability mod only.
You can feel free to modify feats/powers once I do selection. I actually encourage it, since it helps team synergy.
For language, it depends what you are studying. Elvish probably works if its mostly about magical artifacts/technologies, or Dwarven. Draconic is the most relevant for general magical research unless its specifically about some manner of extraplanar magic.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Callisto “Callie” Pride
Tiefling Warlock (Devil’s Pawn) 4

Even for a tiefling, Callisto’s features are unusually diabolical. When she uses her arcane powers, onlookers swear they can detect the faint scent of sulfur and brimstone. Under stress, she will occasionally mutter literal curses in Infernal. When questioned on the matter, her answer is invariably the same: “Oh,Dad was a devil. Or maybe a demon, I’m not sure? We’re not that close.”
Whether this is literally true, Callie (she very rarely goes by her full name) is not quite sure herself. She has a vague recollection of a horned man who might have been her father teaching her in the ways of evil and chaos in one of the outer planes, but those could very well be her imagination. No one has ever heard of a demon lord called Nergal. Or a devil prince by that name, for that matter. She's not totally sure what the difference is, herself.
On her nineteenth birthday, Callie awoke in a field on the outskirts of Telos, with nothing but the clothes on her back and a signet ring on her right hand that could not be removed. Taken in by an eccentric old crone who'd dabbled in adventuring as a youth, Callie turned out to be a quick study in the arcane arts. Of course, in a big city like Telos, magicians-for-hire are hardly uncommon, so Callie has been waiting for a chance to prove herself. Perhaps a chance like the Void reappearing and spreading chaos throughout the city...

Where do you come from?
“Oh, Dad was a devil. Or maybe a demon, I’m not sure? We’re not that close.”

Some students of cosmology contend that the Void is not limited to the Material Plane; its presence can be felt across the multiverse. Certainly it would not be impossible that the rise of a Dark Star on one of the outer planes could cause teleportation across the planes, or maybe even through time.

Illythria, an eladrin ranger. Formerly an avenger of the Larethian Order, Illythria swore to hunt both devils, demons and their spawn. She crossed blades with Callie on several occasions at the Order's command, before they became...well, "friends" isn't quite the right word, but long story short, Illythria got excommunicated and now works as a mercenary.

Callie is driven by desire and emotion. She’s easily distracted by cheap thrills, and will occasionally go out of her way to liven up a low-stakes situation. A battle with pirates on a docked ship? Bo-ring. A battle with Kalkonni privateers in the hold of a burning ship, while the town guard closes in with orders to arrest everyone for treason? Much better.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:effort:

Ghepard
Razorclaw Hunter [MC Rogue]

Ghepard was born in the wild, like many shifters, but most of his tribe was decimated by plague. Moving to a large city, he lived as a street urchin, took up a life of crime at a young age (as often is the case with the impoverished, struggling to get by in a new society.) His talents as a thief caught the eye of the local authorities; luckily, he was taken into the employ of someone high up, and (with a bit of training) began operating as a "black ops" agents. Over the years, he committed many state-sanctioned crimes... but the botched kidnapping always haunted him.

When his employer was ousted in a coup, Ghepard found himself without a steady job. Through a series of (mis)adventures and investigations, he came to understand the weight of his worst crimes, but was unable to redeem himself in the eyes of those he had wronged. Seeing the instability in the region growing, he chose to leave before the situation got any worse; it was already far beyond the scope of his abilities to stop what had been set in motion.

Blending in amongst the crowds of fleeing refugees, he made his way out into the broader world. Through the years, he did freelance work as a private investigator, spy, bounty hunter... anything that suited his skillset and paid well. His travels eventually took him to Sharpeton on the eve of the ceremony...

Ghepard is smug and self-assured, but also cynical and hard-nosed. While he is a proficient marksman, his greatest thrill is escaping capture (whether in the immediate- or long-term). Ghepard has the mind of a great detective -- being capable of thinking like a thief often helps him stay one step ahead of his targets. Whenever possible, he prefers to fight from range. Having worked in splinter cells and similar mercenary groups, Ghepard has learned to keep himself in check, and play as part of a team; his professionalism and determination to complete the mission are always paramount.

Now a lone wanderer, he has an uncanny knack for showing up where someone with just his talents is needed.
There are rumors he has travelled to other planes -- and even across time, if you believe in that sort of thing.

[So basically somewhere between a noir detective, and Clint Eastwood as "The Man With No Name", with a little bit of Harvey Keitel in Reservoir Dogs.]

Mince Pieface posted:

[In the main setting Ghepard came from, essentially a group of powerful people banded together and formed a cartel (known as the Royal Family.) This created stability and prosperity at the time, but some of the adherents to groups or leaders who they had to put down or undermine in the process grew bitter, so there was always something simmering beneath the surface. Ultimately, a seditious brotherhood led by the enigmatic Yanosh executed a coup, in which the royal family were all killed (allegedly) and the region fell into anarchy again.]

Mince Pieface posted:

Robbing graves in an underground catacombs, Ghepard and his party passed through a portal. On the other side were horrible monsters. Everything went black.

Eventually, he woke up... somewhere?

Mince Pieface posted:

(Ernesto) Rencleff, Priest of Avandra
When the two first met, Rencleff was a naïve, impressionable youth, sent forth from his humble and pleasant homeland to do missionary work (helping those in need and curing the sick and injured.) A bright, scholarly young fellow, he was a stark contrast to the grizzled Ghepard. The calamity following the coup led to all kinds of freelancers, mercenaries, and vigilantes being deputized by what was left of authority figures in the land, and that's how the two ended up together: in a party with other mercenaries.
The ugliness of the secrets behind the coup eventually led them both to flee, but they continued on as adventurers together for some time, having both lost their way so to speak.

Rencleff is kind and compassionate, despite coming from a very comfortable lifestyle. His religion instructs its followers to go out beyond their comfort zones, and help the broader world become a place that enjoys the same peace and prosperity. This often leads them into the direction of conflicts, and ugly scenarios that are hard for the fresh-faced and uninitiated to deal with. Despite having seen such things, Rencleff doggedly fights to keep his optimism.

[Mechanically, 4e Rencleff is/was a Bard, multiclassed with Runepriest (giving him training in Religion) and multiclassed with Warlord (giving him training in History) so heavily INT/CHA skillwise, compared to Ghepard being DEX/WIS]

Mince Pieface posted:

Ghepard likes fine cigars, booze, gambling, women -- you name it. Being in the employ of someone rich and powerful meant he always had money and few consequences. He enjoys the life of luxury, despite coming from lowlier places. If prodded enough, Ghepard has been known to lash out. He also is prone to vulgar language, particularly if something is putting him off his game.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 18, 2016

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Gina's backstory has been almost completely filled out and a few minor changes to her sheet have happened, notably picking up Ritual Casting.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

So many cool characters! Gonna be hard to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

The character submission tracker should be updated to this point. Please check your entry and ensure that I haven't screwed something up somewhere, especially if you've changed your build after you initially submitted it.

• Locked thread