Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fayk posted:

Haha, Febel? I think I saw you say you were leaving pirate starter last night. I moved my stuff into orbit last night but haven't warped out of the system. Aside: Man yeah I didn't expect a 'cheap' starter CV from the workshop to be good but drat if I didn't pick a dumb one.

I feel like an idiot saying this but I have no idea where you sent me a message? (Steam/Discord/Here/what). I didn't have a PMs on SA, but I didn't have a platinum account.

edit: in any case, I'm at work so won't be in-game until this evening at least.
Huh. Why the hell would the SA app even let me send you a PM if you don't have plat? Dumb design decision.
Anyway, I was asking which origin you picked, and was saying that if you hadn't picked one to pick freelancer. I was planning on reaching you, ditching my stuff onto you and then resetting as freelancer to open our faction options. That's out the window if you're already settled in.
If you're already set as a pirate I started a one man faction called Hansa. Send a request and I'll join you up. if you're already equipped enough to warp try to make your way to the system that includes Zion. It's 3-4 jumps southeast of the pirate starter. I parked a little bit off planet when I logged off last night. Was gonna get to work on mining the crap out of the 3 planets in that system so I could spawn in decent CVs.

Edit: make sure you've got at least from 100-125 pentaxid from the pirate moon before your start warping. I'll admit I was basically bee lining it straight for the southern PvE systems, but I didn't see many places to stop and resupply on the way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Huh. Why the hell would the SA app even let me send you a PM if you don't have plat? Dumb design decision.
Anyway, I was asking which origin you picked, and was saying that if you hadn't picked one to pick freelancer. I was planning on reaching you, ditching my stuff onto you and then resetting as freelancer to open our faction options. That's out the window if you're already settled in.
If you're already set as a pirate I started a one man faction called Hansa. Send a request and I'll join you up. if you're already equipped enough to warp try to make your way to the system that includes Zion. It's 3-4 jumps southeast of the pirate starter. I parked a little bit off planet when I logged off last night. Was gonna get to work on mining the crap out of the 3 planets in that system so I could spawn in decent CVs.

Edit: make sure you've got at least from 100-125 pentaxid from the pirate moon before your start warping. I'll admit I was basically bee lining it straight for the southern PvE systems, but I didn't see many places to stop and resupply on the way there.

I have PMs available now (I upgraded, since I was overdue to anyways) but yeah - it does seem like SA lets you send me one even if I don't have plat)

Yeah, I picked Pirate. Of course, that wouldn't stop you from respeccing. Though fwiw I heard (might try to verify by asking in game) that the info in this thread is outdated and that now the factions are much more open. Not sure it's entirely true, but someone told me as a Pirate-origin there were totally hunter factions I'd be able to join (for example).

Just make sure the PvE systems you're heading for aren't reputation-locked. I know there are some that are, and I feel it's a weird design in general, but thought I'd mention it.

Without a big factor like LBP, as a newbie, the experience on HWS seems weird. It seems like it's skewing towards a bizarre form of PvE (ie, PvE Arma(geddon) plannet where carebears who insist 'they will PvP' are stocking up ridiculously on gold and whining when people are mining other resources so the meteorites aren't all gold. Rewards/constraints on Pirates/etc seem pretty rough, so it seems like Guardians get to pretend to be goodguys while curbstomping smaller groups and getting their own rewards, etc.
It's a weird system, but whatevs. I may also be misunderstanding a LOT of it.

Edit: If you really are locked out and wanted to join another faction, don't hold back on my account. But I'd definitely recommend seeing if that info is outdated.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 7, 2017

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fayk posted:

I have PMs available now (I upgraded, since I was overdue to anyways) but yeah - it does seem like SA lets you send me one even if I don't have plat)

Yeah, I picked Pirate. Of course, that wouldn't stop you from respeccing. Though fwiw I heard (might try to verify by asking in game) that the info in this thread is outdated and that now the factions are much more open. Not sure it's entirely true, but someone told me as a Pirate-origin there were totally hunter factions I'd be able to join (for example).

Just make sure the PvE systems you're heading for aren't reputation-locked. I know there are some that are, and I feel it's a weird design in general, but thought I'd mention it.

Without a big factor like LBP, as a newbie, the experience on HWS seems weird. It seems like it's skewing towards a bizarre form of PvE (ie, PvE Arma(geddon) plannet where carebears who insist 'they will PvP' are stocking up ridiculously on gold and whining when people are mining other resources so the meteorites aren't all gold. Rewards/constraints on Pirates/etc seem pretty rough, so it seems like Guardians get to pretend to be goodguys while curbstomping smaller groups and getting their own rewards, etc.
It's a weird system, but whatevs. I may also be misunderstanding a LOT of it.

Edit: If you really are locked out and wanted to join another faction, don't hold back on my account. But I'd definitely recommend seeing if that info is outdated.
I can't speak about the internal politics, but you were right about reputation locking. Wasn't able to land on zoom like I'd hoped. Currently on Armageddon, mining and trying to gather penta.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

If you sign up to the Discord there's still TomCat the adoptee who can give you guys the tour ingame n stuff. Also being a pirate means very few constraints honestly, they don't impose much of an RP price it's more that the default factions get a slightly better once a week handout to start them off again if they get wiped.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Yeah I think I saw him on once. I've popped into the discord but it seemed (understandably) dead.

Yeah, right now I'm just ready to leave the starter systems (sitting in orbit) but I'm not sure where to go. Without a faction it feels like I'd just have any base I'd make insta-obliterated, since all the planets available are PvP, and I suspect there isn't a prohibition on pirates on pluto killing eachother (no honor among thieves etc).
Not sure how to get a foothold (or specifically, how to now get into a spot where I have literally nothing and just spawn->suffocate/starve infinitely)

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Maybe I should shift the main OP back to a more friendly PVE server? This game needs cooperation to function on a large server like this.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

FYI the first experimental version of the 6.0 release was put out yesterday. Apparently the full release will come after a few weeks worth of additions/testing.

http://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-experimental-6-0-part-i.10378/

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Does anyone who still plays want to take over the OP on release?

The game is still really good, I just had trouble keeping up with my ammo requirements to keep myself effective. And plus, need dudes working together to make great things.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Lag seems to be better in this patch. We have tested with up to 3 people so far. Next Thursday we are trying to do a large test to see how much better or worse it actually is.

https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/thursday-april-6th-experimental-branch-fight/5177?u=xanif

We could use all the help we can get from LBP members to test this out.

LordOfWar
Feb 23, 2007
YOU ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!!
I think the games a little dead, at least until 6.0 is released, i haven't played with you guys 'yet' as i couldn't find a group on here...until lately, but its dead so still haven't, then we will most likely run into problems with so many trying to play when the servers come up as they can only hold 170 or so, after that its virtually unplayable but i guess that's just any MMO private server, anyways will be good to play here than with pubbies so heres to the future!! :)

LordOfWar fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 2, 2017

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
What is it about the drilling in this game that makes it feel so awful? Just came back to this after a brief stint with Space Engineers (6.0 Part IV is pretty drat fun so far!), and man - the simple "going down in a hole with your hand drill" experience is so much more pleasant in that game.

Like, in SE, I found a deposit, sort of gave myself a steep slope on the way down to mine it out, and when I had enough I just pointed 45 degrees up and bored a straight line from ore to surface. Feels like when I try the same thing with E:GS, I a.) wind up with an enormous open pit, and b.) trying to dig UP just winds up digging DEEPER.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

What is it about the drilling in this game that makes it feel so awful? Just came back to this after a brief stint with Space Engineers (6.0 Part IV is pretty drat fun so far!), and man - the simple "going down in a hole with your hand drill" experience is so much more pleasant in that game.

Like, in SE, I found a deposit, sort of gave myself a steep slope on the way down to mine it out, and when I had enough I just pointed 45 degrees up and bored a straight line from ore to surface. Feels like when I try the same thing with E:GS, I a.) wind up with an enormous open pit, and b.) trying to dig UP just winds up digging DEEPER.

Yeah, make an HV to drill with ASAP. It's so much faster. Still more of a pain than it should be.

Or use Autominers but those don't unlock right away.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Oh yeah, that reminds me of the other thing I wanted to ask here:

Is there any way to change the way mouselook works in vehicles? It's really annoying and mildly painful to have to swipe like four or five times to turn left or right, or have to fight constantly with my HV's attempts to level itself out as I'm trying to aim down to drill or shoot something.

Like, geez... :argh:

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 4, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me of the other thing I wanted to ask here:

Is there any way to change the way mouselook works in vehicles? It's really annoying and mildly painful to have to swipe like four or five times to turn left or right, or have to fight constantly with my HV's attempts to level itself out as I'm trying to aim down to drill or shoot something.

Like, geez... :argh:

If you mean how fast the vehicle turns? Add more RCS blocks to it. If it's a CV, get the T2 RCS blocks ASAP, they're OP. (This stuff may change in the new version)

If you mean the way the 'feel' of looking around in first person as a passenger in no-grav works, no - unless you count adding a gravity gen.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ghost of Starman posted:

What is it about the drilling in this game that makes it feel so awful?
For me, I think it's because the drill seems to have zero "range", so you have to stick your face right in the rocks and you get little sense of direction.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I don't know why I didn't realize there would be goons playing this game.

HWS NA is set to 5.5.1 still, so I'll see you in game once they upgrade to the 6.x release.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There was some sort of big 6.0 patch maybe all the goons will come back to this game I don't know but I want to shoot non-goon spaceships with my spacedong.

http://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-6-0-out-now.11547/

Wow look at all those notes also here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61c1_iA2Ce0

quote:

20. Lagshot Problem Solved:
- We fixed the so-called lagshot problem (destruction of devices even though protected behind hull) that was driving a lot of you crazy.

Are the devs lying through their teeth? Find out!

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 11, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

We're playing again Grumpy. I'll give you the teamspeak info tonight. Apply to RAT, it's our new corp. Only about 1/4 goons, the other 3/4 are pretty much all the good pvpers we fought in 4.0 and 5.0. There are mans to shoot.

You want to start on the non-pvp pirate starter world. Not sure if it's P1 or P2.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 12, 2017

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've started playing on the Shattered Galaxy server with some friends, having a good time, trying to learn the peculiarities of Empyrion PVP.
Something came up we hadn't heard of before, "Wave Damage" anybody able to explain that to me?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Killed a guy last night. He started messaging me and other people in RAT on steam.

quote:

Colin2Coldd: Trash
Xanif: lol
Colin2Coldd: Stay bad and stay in a bad clan
Xanif: lol
Xanif: is only game
Colin2Coldd: trash
Xanif: y u heff to be mad
Colin2Coldd: keep inviting the whole server to RAT will help you guys get gud
Colin2Coldd: I learned the hard way, you guys too bad for that
Xanif: wut
Xanif: jesus dude it's just pvp
Colin2Coldd: no honor GG
Xanif: oh no a combat cv died
Xanif: it's the end of the world
Colin2Coldd: the way it played out
Colin2Coldd: trash
Colin2Coldd: all those guys for 1 cv
Xanif: gently caress if I know how it played out
Colin2Coldd: that many people for 1 cv
Colin2Coldd is now playing Empyrion - Galactic Survival. Click here to join.
Xanif: so...
Xanif: get friends
Xanif: we like big cv fights
Colin2Coldd: lmao
Colin2Coldd: you guys will get no mercy
Xanif: lol k
Xanif: no othe pirates on this server behave like this after a fight btw
Xanif: none of*
Colin2Coldd: Okay man
Xanif: not even when the whole server allied against ZC did they bitch like this
Xanif: it's a stupid game
Xanif: relax
Colin2Coldd: lmao okay man
Colin2Coldd: RAT is trash idc
Colin2Coldd: invites bads to get good
Colin2Coldd: thats trash
Colin2Coldd: "let me invite everyone hoping we will get a win"
Xanif: stop throwing a tantrum because you lost a cv
Colin2Coldd: it worked cheers XD
Colin2Coldd: I'm fine
Xanif: you're really not
Colin2Coldd: I promise I'm fine
Colin2Coldd: I mis understood tomcat
Xanif: you're chatting every single person on steam you're friends with to call us trash
Xanif: you're being a child
Xanif: grow up
Colin2Coldd: lmao I chatted 2 people but okay
Colin2Coldd: you and tom cuz bad
Xanif: Ok
Xanif: When do you graduate from middle school?
Colin2Coldd: when did you leave your mothers house?
Colin2Coldd: You didn't did you?
Xanif: k dude
Colin2Coldd: okay then stfu
Xanif: I didn't realize you were going to be a 6 year old when I friended you on steam
Xanif: So good luck
Colin2Coldd: un friend me please
Colin2Coldd: thank you
Xanif: working on it
Xanif: so loving whiny
Colin2Coldd: stop replying?
Colin2Coldd: salty?
Xanif: out of the two of us
Xanif: you're the one that reached out to me to throw insults
Xanif: so...salty
Colin2Coldd: I mean.. I thought differently
Colin2Coldd: My apologies
Colin2Coldd: GG
Xanif: this poo poo is why everyone loving hates you btw
Xanif: You freak out over a video game
Colin2Coldd: Okay man

I forgot how much I love this game.

Themistocles
Nov 7, 2003

Fighting for democracy since 483 BC

xanif posted:

Killed a guy last night. He started messaging me and other people in RAT on steam.

I forgot how much I love this game.

So happy this party is starting again.

:rms:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Hey guys. UMC noticed we raided their planet.

quote:

nauttdog - Yesterday at 11:55 PM
dude
gtfo our planet
wth
June 14, 2017
xanif - Today at 12:00 AM
but it's public
and you're guardians
Also you shot me in the face earlier and it really hurt so I think you should be apologizing here
nauttdog - Today at 12:10 AM
drat you!
i will avenge this. sleep with one eye open
who
whose idea was this?
xanif - Today at 12:26 AM
well basically
i don't know
look
Your bases weren't dug out
We found two underground bases that weren't dug out so we dug them out for you
And this is how we're treated
nauttdog - Today at 12:27 AM
we were in the middle of working on poo poo
man, you couldn't wait a loving week!
you ruined it!
:cry:
xanif - Today at 12:28 AM
yea but it was funny to me
nauttdog - Today at 12:28 AM
:disappointed_relieved:
:crying_cat_face:
xanif - Today at 12:28 AM
why pvp unrestricted?
nauttdog - Today at 12:29 AM
because we want to fight people. we were hoping it would take at least a week or so for someone to figure it out
so we could have a mega base built up
but you guys hosed that plan all up
xanif - Today at 12:30 AM
who put down the autominers and didn't defend them with anything?
nauttdog - Today at 12:33 AM
some sorry lad
xanif - Today at 12:33 AM
it was nice of them

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I'm coming back to this poo poo show to grief people because that's all that is good about this game - and really all games.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
ha, I thought I recognized Xanif's name. I've been playing Empyrion with some buddies on a server, and didn't realize that it was the same one you guys were on. That Colin guy was making GBS threads up chat the other night whining about (I assume) the same fight. Empyrion is just a game (in alpha, even), and if you have the resources to pop out a CV, you should be ready, willing, and able to replace it because it will probably get blown up or glitched out at some point.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
How is the CV lag? Next to lag shots that's the big thing that took me out of the game last time.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It's better but still present. DC's seem to be a common issue as well but two things

1) You now log back in in your cockpit so no more flying 800 meters back to you ship after a DC
2) Lagshots are pretty much gone so a DC is not a death sentence.

We're doing a lot of stuff other than CV combat as well this patch (though we still tend to get a CV fight at least once per day). POI's, base raiding, general fuckery.

It's a bunch of fun. We're the largest faction on the server.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Raided a bunch of bases last night because people didn't realize the planets they were building on go PvP on the weekends.

I like killing people.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I like chasing off two CV's with a pair of SV's.

I'm getting pretty good at killing base turrets with my Cuddlefish.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This game is cool and good and everything I was hoping Space Engineers would be and then some.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
This game is frustrating because some parts of it are really cool and make me want to see more... and then some parts are complete dog poo poo. Like taking a zone that could be really cool, and then making it corner hugging garbage by putting turrets every 6 feet (including the ever popular turret above the door you're walking through because that's not an overplayed gimmick) for a gun I'll never use and some NVGs I can craft. It's like the devs have never heard of risk vs reward.

I might try multiplayer but I don't think I have the patience to do the level 20 grind again. Maybe if I can find another one of those glitched corn/fiber spawns :-/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My main issue with the game right now is that while the new armor stuff is cool, surviving on the starter planets is absolutely horrible. If I don't freeze to death at night I am suffocating because there's no oxygen on the planet and I died that one time so my bike despawned so now I'm hosed.

The game could really do with a better way to shepherd a player out of the newbie systems and have enough resources laying around that you can bootstrap yourself into a jump capable CV in an hour.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

What are some good general guidelines for shipbuilding, e.g., building CVs and SVs?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Applied as zoik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hey new folks, just FYI a lot of us are not playing currently because of the imminent reset of the HWS server on July 7th and distraction from Worlds Adrift.

I imagine you'll see a lot more people on after the 7th. In the mean time I'll accept applications when I see them, as I'm still playing periodically.

As for shipbuilding tips, protect your core and cockpit and make sure you're reasonably fast and maneuverable (>20m/s/s for CV's, >25 for SV's), avoid placing fuel tanks and ammo boxes directly adjacent to other systems (they blow up).

If you want to pvp, protect your guns. Some guns can shoot through solid blocks and you can use less valuable guns as distractions (miniguns/cannons) for more valuable ones (plasma, rockets, etc). Most people set their guns to target enemy weapons and cores.

Honestly shipbuilding can get pretty complicated. If you want more tips hop on the RAT teamspeak sometime and I'd be happy to help.

Oh and I've finished my new PVP CV:

• Locked thread