Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
At the risk of 'oh god I got a ticket how do I get out of it' I will state my story here.

I got a ticket for 83 in a 65 in New York State a month or so ago. I'm 100% sure it's a BS ticket - but that's totally besides the point. That's what I was charged with.

Given that I live in Philadelphia and would need to drive 7 hours round trip to make a 'pre-trial appearance' and then do it AGAIN to make it to court, I decided it was best to either just pay the fine and move on.

However, NY state doesn't actually tell you what fine you'll get. $100? $800? $20,000? Who knows! You don't find out until after you plead guilty by mail. I called the court and they verified this.

I found this reprehensible and instead submitted all of the paperwork by mail for a reduced fine without a court appearance.

I now, again, I have a form that requires me to plead guilty before I find out what the fine is. How is this even legal? The following page suggests that I may have even UPPED my fine to $450 to 'save' on points, which makes no sense in my case since NY state and PA do not share points.

http://nytrafficticket.com/highest-fines-in-new-york-suffolk-county-traffic-violations-parking-agency/

Anybody? I'm seriously beyond frustrated and annoyed. In PA the fine is directly on your ticket. Every form I have clearly states that no phone discussions are possible and my requests for an explanation for how things work have been ignored in my now 3+ letters.

:argh: All this for something I didn't do :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
What county did you get it in?

And also what specific violation did they write you up for?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Laranzu posted:

What county did you get it in?

And also what specific violation did they write you up for?

Orange County, Newburgh township.

Original ticket was for 83/65, 1180b. 'Amended charge' is 1202(b)-2.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Blaise posted:

Orange County, Newburgh township.

Original ticket was for 83/65, 1180b. 'Amended charge' is 1202(b)-2.

You're looking at a max fine of $300 plus $88-$93 in fees. You'll also be fined $100 a year for three years under the NY DRA bullshit since your speed is a 6-point offense (regardless of the fact that your state does not share points with NY).

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

You're looking at a max fine of $300 plus $88-$93 in fees. You'll also be fined $100 a year for three years under the NY DRA bullshit since your speed is a 6-point offense (regardless of the fact that your state does not share points with NY).

Wait, WHAT?

So the original ticket is $393 max plus an additional $300 in fines?

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Oh, this thread could be going places.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get a lawyer or just suck it up and pay the fine.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Man how'd you even get flagged in NY? Were you driving a red ferrari 458?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The Prong Song posted:

6 points? Yowza! Here that would be doing like (133) 129km/h in a (104) 100km/h, so 3 points, and the cops probably wouldn't bother because the fine is still not much and there are no other penalties. I frequently speed at about 30-over, which is what OP was doing, and have had cops pass me at those speeds. To get 6 he'd've had to be doing 150km/h (154, about 96.5mph) and the fine would be probably north of $1000 along with a 100% insurance premium increase. 151km/h or higher is "stunt driving" 6 points, insurance increase, possible jail time, 30 day suspension, fine between $2000-10000, etc.

E: Most 100km/h zones here are freeways, and it is not uncommon to see people, even police, doing 130-140 in the hammer lane.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 11, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
In every state I've ever been ticketed in paying the fine is exactly the same thing as admitting guilt. There is no way around this short of hiring a lawyer and going to court. Suck it up and pay the fine.

Adiabatic posted:

Man how'd you even get flagged in NY? Were you driving a red ferrari 458?

New Ferraris are so garish, OP seems like the kind of gent that would prefer a Red Ferrari 400 Superamerica

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Were you driving a red ferrari 458?

It could have been a black and orange Ferrari 458

e: dang!

Terrible Robot posted:

New Ferraris are so garish, OP seems like the kind of gent that would prefer a Red Ferrari 400 Superamerica

OP should drive something slower, like this red Vespa 400

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 11, 2016

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
As another PA resident, I also find that incredulous that that's how it works for that ticket.

Sucks that it's so far away to travel, and that it would require two trips as well; that's just asinine.

For the idiots starting the car game:

If he was pulled over for this in PA and hit with a 15-19 over violation, he'd have a period of time to reply by mail guilty (paying the fine, listed on the ticket, all costs included), or innocent. If pleading innocent, he'd then get a notification to appear in traffic court/magistrate court to contest the ticket, likely pleading it down to a lower speeding violation, paying a slightly reduced fine and removing points.

Compare that to this NY scenario, and you can see why he'd react to this.

But by all means, suggest he pay a lawyer even more than the absurd cost of the ticket itself, or derail the thread with the car "game".

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 11, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You sound like a fun person

e: OP get a pee yellow vespa 400 to combat your inevitable insurance hike from this ticket:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 11, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yellow car or something.

Last year I got a speeding ticket and a failure to yield. I was looking at 6 points and over $600 in fines but the cop didn't show up. Everything dismissed.

Did not learn lesson, still go fast.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just call the "attack that ticket" lawyer, it's around $500 and you will most likely get it dropped and you don't have to show up. Otherwise go to court and it will be $185 fine. I just got a 78 in a 55 dropped to that just by showing up. Don't just plead guilty, they will gently caress you.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I've already pleaded not guilty. The maximum they can charge for a 1202(b)-2 is $450 so doesn't make any sense to get a lawyer.

My friends theory was simple and now makes sense, they saw a PA plated car and knew I'd never come to court. And they're right, given that they require TWO trips upstate.

And yeah, real mature on the car game. Nobody said 'how do I get out of this ticket.' I asked how they assess fines, given that they don't state them on the tickets.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

As another PA resident, I also find that incredulous that that's how it works for that ticket.

Sucks that it's so far away to travel, and that it would require two trips as well; that's just asinine.

For the idiots starting the car game:

If he was pulled over for this in PA and hit with a 15-19 over violation, he'd have a period of time to reply by mail guilty (paying the fine, listed on the ticket, all costs included), or innocent. If pleading innocent, he'd then get a notification to appear in traffic court/magistrate court to contest the ticket, likely pleading it down to a lower speeding violation, paying a slightly reduced fine and removing points.

Compare that to this NY scenario, and you can see why he'd react to this.

But by all means, suggest he pay a lawyer even more than the absurd cost of the ticket itself, or derail the thread with the car "game".

Yeah, in PA either you get the fine, pay it, or go to court and then have it reduced to a 3111. There's a very clear and transparent system for how much it will cost, I posted this thread bc calling the courts got me nowhere but 'sorry, we don't know how much the tickets are.'

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Blaise posted:

And yeah, real mature on the car game. Nobody said 'how do I get out of this ticket.'

No, but they should have said yellow 300ZX
(and noted that car games are high stakes)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

Well isn't the whole point of getting a lawyer for traffic violations so you can reduce the violation and points taken off? Some people don't give a gently caress about the fine, they just don't want points off their license and/or a violation on their record.

Yeah the fines suck but I'd be more upset over points especially if I didn't do anything wrong.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well isn't the whole point of getting a lawyer for traffic violations so you can reduce the violation and points taken off?

Also, the lawyer appears in court/does lawyer magic so you don't have to personally appear. If an attorney's ticket fee is $500, is that more or less than your time and expense to take a day off of work and travel to appear in court (possibly twice)?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's almost as if the Lawyer is providing a service hmm.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Seminal Flu posted:

No, but they should have said yellow 300ZX
(and noted that car games are high stakes)

No he should get a yellow Crown Victoria, he'll blend in with all the taxis and won't get noticed:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

alternate.eago posted:

No he should get a yellow Crown Victoria, he'll blend in with all the taxis and won't get noticed:

If we're looking out for OP, a detective's Black Crown Victoria would be almost invisible.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Newburgh is a dumpster fire, OP

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just get a traffic court lawyer. Its worth it for the insurance benefits alone if he can reduce the ticket severity. We had a $300 ticket here, paid a lawyer $275 and had it reduced to a non moving violation. We'll save over $275 in insurance costs over having the ticket on record.

Pennsylvania and NY DMVs do communicate to each other as well. So your home state license/insurance or both will get schwacked.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BDL/BDL%20Fact%20Sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

The Prong Song posted:

Its not a 6 point offense. So he wouldn't be charged that anyway. It was a 4 point offense for 18 over.

The Amended Charge being a 1202b2 is a nonmoving violation (Actually Parking near a Fire Hydrant). This removes the points issue. Googlin' Is your Friend. Laws are available online. Looks like between 300-500, depending on poo poo.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 12, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

This is 2016. To be questionable at all times he needs a Black Dodge Charger

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Just get a traffic court lawyer. Its worth it for the insurance benefits alone if he can reduce the ticket severity. We had a $300 ticket here, paid a lawyer $275 and had it reduced to a non moving violation. We'll save over $275 in insurance costs over having the ticket on record.

Pennsylvania and NY DMVs do communicate to each other as well. So your home state license/insurance or both will get schwacked.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BDL/BDL%20Fact%20Sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

As the PDF states:

"Although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will (NOT) appear on your driving record, unless you are a CDL holder. Points will not be assessed to your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state."

I've already had it knocked down to a nonmoving violation, the 1202-b2, parking near fire hydrant.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Blaise posted:

As the PDF states:

I've already had it knocked down to a nonmoving violation, the 1202-b2, parking near fire hydrant.

Yeah I posted that afterwards.

I must have skipped the line about the record not being updated. Insurance companies find weird poo poo sometimes, so if it wasn't a non moving violation they might find it somehow (if it was a moving, that is)

Pay it and stop speeding faster than your wallet can afford.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Yeah I posted that afterwards.

I must have skipped the line about the record not being updated. Insurance companies find weird poo poo sometimes, so if it wasn't a non moving violation they might find it somehow (if it was a moving, that is)

Pay it and stop speeding faster than your wallet can afford.

Thankfully my company only pulls PENNDOT records which shows a single ticket from 07.

I never understood why this forum has such an awful attitude towards tickets. Why the presumption of guilt? I didn't say I got caught doing 83 in a 65 and I wanted to get out of it. I was pulled over while doing 65 in a 65 in the slow lane, written up for 83 in the left lane. If I had a dash cam (wasn't my car unfortunately) I could have had this ticket tossed in court for SO many different reasons. However, I still think its outrageous to fine somebody $700 for what would have been a minor speeding infraction, or throw a ticket at them anyway knowing that most likely they will not make the 7 hour trip TWICE to court to be found not guilty. Even with the dash cam footage, for anybody lucky enough to have a full time job (I don't), taking 2 days off to fight it would not make fiscal sense and the troopers here clearly know that.

Just to prove my point, I had the total opposite experience with a PA state trooper. He pulled me over and after asking me how fast I was going about 10 times (and I didn't give him a number), he told me he didn't have a speed reading on me so he couldn't write me for a speeding ticket and instead gave me a 3111. Truthful, respectful, honest, and I paid the fine and moved on with my life. If you're guilty and the fine is reasonable, I agree with you - pay it and move on. In this case however, I really wish I had dash cam footage to keep these guys from pocketing my money and I will use any means necessary to reduce the amount they will take.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Look at the target audience, but also, you're taking issue still with something you said in the original post was besides the point - that you're pleading guilty. It sucks, and I'm sorry you got the shaft in this case - but it's time to drop that part of the discussion.

But I honestly think the more important question is, why not go all out in an "Arrest me!" Red Dodge Charger Hellcat!

Guaranteed to arrive in style (or a flaming fireball of twisted wreckage).

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Look at the target audience, but also, you're taking issue still with something you said in the original post was besides the point - that you're pleading guilty.

Actually, no - my issue is with the lack of transparency with how much the fines are and the fact that they require two appearances in court to fight a ticket. I could deal with a BS ticket, it's the additional layer of BS of not listing the fine (it being 3x what it should be doesn't help) and then the third layer of requiring two court appearances that's annoying the hell out of me.

I've probably gotten 15 tickets in my 15 years of driving. This is only the 3rd that has been BS, the other two I fought and was found not guilty. One was for 'excessive speed' while shifting from 1st to 2nd at 4-5k in my miata in a 35 zone (lol slow). Noise doesn't necessarily equate speed. The other was when I was 17 and an officer wrote me for reckless/racing/speed because some idiot flew by me in his riced out civic. Looking back, I have no idea how I managed to get that dropped by simply insisting I didn't do it.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 12, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm still just unreasonably happy that someone besides me got jacked by Newburgh cops

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No criminal or traffic code violator gets to know the punishment before admitting guilt. Even plea deals can be set aside by the judge. You were speeding, you got a ticket, either hire a lawyer to weasel it away or take your chance on the wheel of fines. Consider it a tax on being in a state you can't vote in.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

OP please let us know the color, make, and model (in bold) of the vehicle you were caught speeding in. This is important to the discussion.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Elephanthead posted:

No criminal or traffic code violator gets to know the punishment before admitting guilt. Even plea deals can be set aside by the judge. You were speeding, you got a ticket, either hire a lawyer to weasel it away or take your chance on the wheel of fines. Consider it a tax on being in a state you can't vote in.

Every speeding ticket I've ever gotten had the fine clearly listed on the ticket. New York: more corrupt than Alabama sometimes?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Blaise posted:

I never understood why this forum has such an awful attitude towards tickets.

Because they always turn into shitfests, that's why they are against the rules. There's no way to determine whether you are a speeding monster or a delicate granny not going a mile over the posted, by-god legal, limit.

Adiabatic posted:

OP please let us know the color, make, and model (in bold) of the vehicle you were caught speeding in. This is important to the discussion.

And this, it is important to the discussion. If you were really doing 65 in a 65 zone, I'd guess you were driving a Red Tercel Coupe.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wallaka posted:

Every speeding ticket I've ever gotten had the fine clearly listed on the ticket. New York: more corrupt than Alabama sometimes?

you could put all of the other states together and you still wouldn't stand a chance against the purestrain corruption in NY

we invented that poo poo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The bullshit in NY effectively pushed us back to FL. We were ready to put cash on a relatively cheap house until we saw the yearly taxes and said gently caress that poo poo. I honestly don't know how people manage to afford to live there, especially as a home owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Had the exact same scenario happen to me. My fault, but still shady as gently caress.

Newburgh cop tagged me within a half mile of the 65mph to 55mph posted speed change, (going 75 simply to keep up with traffic, but still).

Same scenario. Ticket on the side of the road, options are to plead not-guilty and accept a court date that fell within a trip I had already booked out of the country, or accept a nebulous fine in the future.

Ended up being around 200 bucks in fines, plus a week later the "You are a dangerous driver in NY state, because you've accumulated more than 6 points on your license, therefore you need to pay an additional 200 bucks." letter showed up.

Total BS.

• Locked thread