Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i think that's about how much i''m paying for my dorm room in the bustling center of san francisco (the tenderloin) but I get a meal plan with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
There's plenty of nightlife and I haven't been in a shooting yet

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

ShadowHawk posted:

1400, utilities/cleaning service included, with whatever timing is needed (thus I'll sometimes eat half-months when it's vacant or whatever)

this is more than twice what i pay here for an inner city apartment with hard wood floors and my own sauna in the bedroom (shut up i know i don't use it, but i'm trying to make a point)

jesus loving christ america.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
america is bad.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we're blessed, this new house we're renting is 500 sf + 200 sf of workshop for 800/mo and its a 20 min lightrail from downtown
yall are fuckin crazy out there

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

BooLoo posted:

this is more than twice what i pay here for an inner city apartment with hard wood floors and my own sauna in the bedroom (shut up i know i don't use it, but i'm trying to make a point)

jesus loving christ america.
It's gotten so bad here that entirely new political factions are forming just to counteract decades of "never build housing so my home price will rise" politics. See for instance the "Yimby party" and the "Bay Area Renters Federation (BARF)"

It may slowly be working too. Mountain View has been taken over by pro-housing candidates and they're approving development left and right.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
:stare:

we are all doomed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Valeyard posted:

the hans reiser estate

thatd be a body-hacking house

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jonny 290 posted:

we're blessed, this new house we're renting is 500 sf + 200 sf of workshop for 800/mo and its a 20 min lightrail from downtown
yall are fuckin crazy out there

id kill for real workshop space

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

how is that not illegal

why would it be? he signed a contract agreeing to those terms

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

renter protection laws yo

lol i u dont have them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol too racist

ShadowHawk posted:

It's gotten so bad here that entirely new political factions are forming just to counteract decades of "never build housing so my home price will rise" politics. See for instance the "Yimby party" and the "Bay Area Renters Federation (BARF)"

It may slowly be working too. Mountain View has been taken over by pro-housing candidates and they're approving development left and right.

i did my part and helped vote those people into city council

feels good

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Snapchat A Titty posted:

renter protection laws yo

lol i u dont have them
We do. It's just that in typical American fashion the way they're enforced is by personally taking your landlord to court and then hoping you don't get nervous in front of a judge.

Fun fact this is also how most robocalling + fax spam was illegal as far back as 1995 (with the telephone consumer protection act), but it required people to manually file lawsuits every time they received one in order to claim 500 dollars in damages per. Hardly anyone did it. Things only changed when another law in mid 2000s put the Federal Trade Commission in charge of enforcement (and also setup a nationwide instead of per-company do not call list for live telemarketing)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ShadowHawk posted:

bay area landlords squabbling about their precious dirt right up to the moment the entire west coast cracks and slides into the sea

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

bay area landlords squabbling about their precious dirt right up to the moment the entire west coast cracks and slides into the sea

lol that people think this and ignore how hosed oregon will be

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol that people think this and ignore how hosed oregon will be

sometimes when it's very late at night and everything is dark and quiet, and i'm the only one awake, i imagine that at that very moment, the yellowstone caldera is going to explode

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

sometimes when it's very late at night and everything is dark and quiet, and i'm the only one awake, i imagine that at that very moment, the yellowstone caldera is going to explode

i like to imagine that the geological monitoring will give us enough time to go beg congress for money to drain it and get soundly shot down by conservatives before it kills all humans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just wanted you to know that i noticed that joke when you posted it and i got it and chortled

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i pay +/-1400 (depending on utilities) for a 1br in an uncool part of the city, no laundry or parking included, and i consider myself lucky compared to the people who got in later

i found a place pretty easily, too, because the landlords specifically wanted a single person, professional, no kids, no pets, etc. and they apparently had had a hard time getting that. i heard stories from other people of 15-minute apartment showings (as in, we will be showing it from 3pm to 3:15pm friday, anyone who wants it better be there) and 20 people show up with blank checks for that slot, only to be told that someone offered an additional 10,000 cash under the table and it was already rented out.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 13, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i was worried about that and we learned about Denver renting real fast this fall when we had the first 3 or 4 places snaked out from under us, we weren't Ready. then for this place we showed up a half hour early on monday morning with a shitload of money and my laptop in the car with all our docs, and the other guy that wanted it didn't show up first welp sorry guy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there used to be a bunch of "geek houses" in santa cruz I wonder if any of them are left

e: holy poo poo http://www.geek.org/geekhouse.html

also rotten.com and a bunch of other stuff was launched out of a geek house in the south bay called the ranch iirc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i can get a 40x20 quonset building for about $6,000

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i can get a 40x20 quonset building for about $6,000

my uncle put up a big quonset behind his house with a shop, kitchen, living room w/ tv, and full bathroom, so that he wouldn't have to hang around with my aunt

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like to imagine that the geological monitoring will give us enough time to go beg congress for money to drain it and get soundly shot down by conservatives before it kills all humans

no foolin? you can drain that?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tangra posted:

if those brainiacs could drain the cyst on my rear end, they can drain anything.

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

Smythe posted:

if those brainiacs could drain the cyst on my rear end, they can drain anything.

but enough about your posts?!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tangra posted:

just put a shop vac to it no biggie

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they carefully explode it so the lava drains into pre-dug mineshafts elsewhere and then hunt around in the cleared out chambers w/ their iron pickaxes for those tiny rare veins of diamond

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
make a pipeline to store the yellowstone caldera magma in the oklahoma salt domes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just put lots of ice on there, cool it down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they carefully explode it so the lava drains into pre-dug mineshafts elsewhere and then hunt around in the cleared out chambers w/ their iron pickaxes for those tiny rare veins of diamond

pfft. look at this scrub using only the stock tools. get buildcraft installed and put in a lava pump and you can suck it up into a geothermal generator and power your ingot smelter or ore grinder or chicken fucker

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

pfft. look at this scrub using only the stock tools. get buildcraft installed and put in a lava pump and you can suck it up into a geothermal generator and power your ingot smelter or ore grinder or chicken fucker

:thejoke:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

tell me more about the sf chicken fucker

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yes, so ~rare~ indeed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

was it really

Tangra posted:

yes, so ~rare~ indeed

last big minecraft world i built i ended up with a machine that collected fish (infinitely respawning resource in minecraft) and piped them into a molecular deconstructor and through a chain of machinery turned that into quantum matter and condensed it into diamonds, or any other resource you wanted. like a universal constructor.

it was about 800 fish per diamond but meh, get ten of those things running with magmatic dynamos and it only takes 20 or 30 minutes to collect that many. then you just need an infinite supply of lava for geothermal power, which i obtained by strip-mining the hell dimension of its lava pools and sending it across a dimensional teleporter

after that i got bored because there's nothing to do in minecraft once you're post-scarcity. there are "bosses" to fight but it's kind of pitiful to be attacked by a dragon when you're wearing a suit of compressed carbon armor and equipped with a jetpack and an antimatter bomb

minecraft is my sad spergy secret

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 14, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BONGHITZ posted:

tell me more about the sf chicken fucker

yea i have some billion dollar exits under my belt, yep *pulls invisible suspenders* now mark over there? hes working on his first. heh hes still the college kid i met in 03. all hoodied up. gonna go somewhere sometime im sure. i call him Face, like in mission impossible. thats a little in joke heh.

then theres my musk man. worked his way out ouf deep south africa by the skin of his gums as they say. hes working on rocketry now, they call him the rocket man in some circles.

me? no no *blush* you dont wanna hear about me

well... ok

you gently caress one chicken

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
you gently caress one chicken and there is a big uproar. you gently caress a million chickens and it is a statistic.

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

Jonny 290 posted:

make a pipeline to store the yellowstone caldera magma on the surface of every city in oklahoma

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Dude, this actually works>!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Tangra posted:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

just put lots of ice on there, cool it down
Seriyos post I have this idea that if we did an awful lot of geothermal extraction in yellowstone over 100 years or so it just might cool it down enough to harden the surface a bit and delay the supervolcano.

Plus, you know, it'd produce energy.

I just don't really have any geophysics background at all to do the basic math about how much or how long or how likely things would need to be.

• Locked thread