Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'd imagine that if you somehow "drained" enough heat from the earth's mantle to make a difference you would end up with all the same problems of a volcanic eruption up here on the surface. energy has to go somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sagebrush posted:

i'd imagine that if you somehow "drained" enough heat from the earth's mantle to make a difference you would end up with all the same problems of a volcanic eruption up here on the surface. energy has to go somewhere
Well yeah but we'd spread it out over decades or even centuries

Like here's some bad envelope math:

Mount Saint Helens (class 5) eruption ~= 24 megatons == 1e17 joules
US Total Geothermal Electric genration ~= 16 billion killowatt hours / year == 5.76e+16

So US current geothermal depletes about half a Mount Saint Helens eruption per year spread out across the country.

Yellowstone would be a class 8 eruption, several thousand times more energy, so we'd need to double the US geothermal production, put all that new capacity in Yellowstone, and run it for thousands of years.

But hey, the thing erupts only once every tens of thousands of years or so, that might just be enough to save future humanity.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well according to what i learned in james bond movies, drilling into the caldera would just cause it to erupt anyway

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

use it to power a laser and beam it into space. maybe drive a lightsail with it. it's not hard.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

atomicthumbs posted:

use it to power a laser and beam it into space. maybe drive a lightsail with it. it's not hard.

no man, pipe it into like kettles & pots, everybody on a whole continent can cook coffee/pasta for free now!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

please pipe the yellowstone lava directly into my kitchen

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

I just don't really have any geophysics background at all

We can tell.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Can I just give a hint about real life dude. If you find that you have to preface your thought with "idk about so and so" then you should just stfu about it? It's good advice. Take it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Smythe posted:

Can I just give a hint about real life dude. If you find that you have to preface your thought with "idk about so and so" then you should just stfu about it? It's good advice. Take it.

idk seems fair

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm a retard know-it-all smart alek just like you dude. Trust me on this.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
did u guys know it is hot inside the earth? weird I kno but also tru!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

close the earth, you're letting all the heat out

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
please schedule earthquakes during normal business hours only

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

how about if we turn the earth inside out, so the cold space can <->chill<-> the hot earth, back and forth forever (yospos gets it)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
earth is cold. dig a hole into the earth. feel it. it is cold u big dumbo. idiots every where

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

the masses involved would probably require some kinda gigantohuge mining operation before you even had a suitable place to divert the stuff

and yea too close to the surface presents a whole lotta problems - the one i'd be concerned w/ after the heat (since we're assuming that we're making use of it somehow like for power generation) is the off gassing of enormous amounts of carbon dioxide and all those other volcanic gases into the atmosphere

so that's why we've gotta sink a crazy deep shaft nearby the smallest magma chamber and use nuclear excavation to create additional space for it to go and relieve some pressure - then you fill the shaft w/ your geothermal equipment before you seal it w/ flowable fill and directionally drill into the magma chamber to get flow started

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Maximum Leader posted:

earth is cold. dig a hole into the earth. feel it. it is cold u big dumbo. idiots every where

if the earth is warm, then why are all all the corpses in the ground cold??

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
You can't like heat up the earth man.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Stereotype posted:

You can't like heat up the earth man.

you didnt go to earth man's bachelor party

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Share Bear posted:

you didnt go to earth man's bachelor party

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
i've lived in san francisco for almost 3 years but i'm leaving on sunday because i'm moving to asia in the new year

ask me anything

edit: i do not live in a hacker house though thats dumb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is it pattaya

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

are you going to get laid in asia?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

to solve the lava problem just make a space straw that uses the vacumme of space to suck the lava away, duh

also, have fun in asia

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is your name bruce

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Jonny 290 posted:

is it pattaya

he's not German or Russian, he could be a pedo though.

Graff
May 10, 2012

BooLoo posted:

he's not German or Russian, he could be a pedo though.

gary?

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
oh I forgot about him, ew :(

Graff
May 10, 2012

"do you wanna go to Thailand, Thailand, Thailand?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
let's hold the next bitcoin con in thailand! why? no reason!

• Locked thread