Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

neurotic posted:

to be fair, it is a loving MMO.

i mean yeah, technically speaking yeah, but KOTFE especially is barely an MMO. Yeah you *can* do Flashpoints and Operations and PVP, but it's ostensibly a single-player game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Waffles Inc. posted:

Also might as well ask if since the release of KOTFE have there been any additional items or buffs or anything that weren't out then that would make leveling through the main stories even easier? I've got premium and have been using the Major EXP boosts to be way way way ahead of the curve, but figure if there's any extra advantage I can get that'd be nice

What you really want to do is unlock the +XP gear from the Dark vs. Light event. To get the full set involves leveling one new character all the way through KOTFE and doing a few other things like the intro PVP quests (just enough to hit valor 5, it's super easy) and running a lot of solo/easy mode flashpoints. It may or may not feel a little grindy getting the whole checklist done to complete the set, but it's not really difficult, you can solo almost all of it, and it's super worth it. not only does the armor give your future alts a hefty XP boost, but it's got good enough stats that they can level at least 1-50 without even putting mods in it, and barely notice a difference.

Right here is a page that lists the full details. Note that the insane-tier achievements start well past the point where you've completed the XP armor set.

This should be a priority for everyone who plans to play more than one character.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I mentioned it before but the DvL armor is not just great for its +XP boost, it has phenomenal base stats too. It's essentially level 50 armor wearable at level 1. It bolsters well in PvP and you don't even need to put mods in it. The best reward ever for altaholics.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Is it the Pioneer's stuff with the bonuses?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't quite agree; the "spend 100 hours collecting space bear asses" complaint that the cartoon is making fun of is largely gone now, with the changes to leveling. People who come in expecting KOTOR 3 are practically getting it now.

They absolutely aren't. We're getting essentially a Telltale Star Wars game with MMO bits in the middle. There are no choices of consequence anywhere. All paths lead to the same conclusion.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can also gain lots of XP and gear by grinding out heroics which are A) now soloable and B) give you handy-dandy teleporters straight to the quest location when you pick up the quest (from a terminal, which lists them all out so you don't even have to find them in the world anymore). You can bang them out real quick and save time if you just wanted to do class quests and skip the planetaries. Or at least I assume you still can.

Putting in the heroics teleporters was probably what finally got me bothering with heroics more. It's so much nicer to be able to bang out a full go of heroics back to back than have to spend all that time running your rear end around to grab the quest then running back to go turn it in.

For the most part I do the class quests with whatever XP boost rewards I get so I'm usually good levelling so if I do the planetary or exploratory quests it's because I want to rather than I need to with some heroics if I feel I need to get an XP buffer going. Add on the DvL XP armor, the XP boost reward and the double XP going on now, I'm pretty much at level 50 by the time I start Act 2.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

There are no choices of consequence anywhere. All paths lead to the same conclusion.

I mean this pretty much describes BioWare games in general. If they made a real KOTOR3 the "consequences" would be different colors on the ending screen or killing a companion that will get resurrected anyways with barely any explanation. I don't even remember any really meaningful choices in KOTOR except for lightside/darkside, which SWTOR has had since the beginning.

In other news, today I learned that you get a different introduction to Shadows of Revan if you didn't do your class story and don't have your companions. I sort of just expected them to randomly be there anyways for the cutscene.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Putting in the heroics teleporters was probably what finally got me bothering with heroics more. It's so much nicer to be able to bang out a full go of heroics back to back than have to spend all that time running your rear end around to grab the quest then running back to go turn it in.

For the most part I do the class quests with whatever XP boost rewards I get so I'm usually good levelling so if I do the planetary or exploratory quests it's because I want to rather than I need to with some heroics if I feel I need to get an XP buffer going. Add on the DvL XP armor, the XP boost reward and the double XP going on now, I'm pretty much at level 50 by the time I start Act 2.

I'm not sure if I ever actually even did a heroic before they put the teleporter in and made them soloable. I'd just dismiss them out of hand whenever I picked one up by mistake in the past.

Chickenwalker posted:

They absolutely aren't. We're getting essentially a Telltale Star Wars game with MMO bits in the middle. There are no choices of consequence anywhere. All paths lead to the same conclusion.

Oh, well, sure, that's true. I just meant that it's a star wars RPG where you don't have to talk to other human beings and Revan's in it

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm not sure if I ever actually even did a heroic before they put the teleporter in and made them soloable. I'd just dismiss them out of hand whenever I picked one up by mistake in the past.

Heh. I did them all for the achievement and title. But other than that, no. They were mostly too much trouble.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

prefect posted:

Apologies for being a picker of nits, but Senya's last name is "Tirall".

Also afaik the High Justice's name only has one "I" in it. "Vaylin".

:goonsay:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't quite agree; the "spend 100 hours collecting space bear asses" complaint that the cartoon is making fun of is largely gone now, with the changes to leveling. People who come in expecting KOTOR 3 are practically getting it now.

I generally agree with this, mainly because after I had exhausted the story content in KOTFE at release all the super-grindy recruitment and Star Fortress stuff reminded me, "Oh, this is the stuff that made me quit last time, I guess I'll just come back when the next story expansion comes out"

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Turbl posted:

In other news, today I learned that you get a different introduction to Shadows of Revan if you didn't do your class story and don't have your companions. I sort of just expected them to randomly be there anyways for the cutscene.
Oh really? What happens?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Baron von der Loon posted:

Oh really? What happens?

It's just a more solitary video of you flying your ship. Since you don't have them yet, there's no interaction with your companions (For example, the Inquisitor is training Ashara in the regular entrance)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Some datamined info about a new thing to grind post 70, Galactic Command.

Also some little tidbits in there - they're releasing a new type of Party Jawa it appears, so people who missed out on the sub reward early on can do the achievements.

KOTET chapters (and possibly KOTFE chapters) can be replayed on higher difficulties with characters.

There will be a new portable faction neutral holo-class trainer like the Hutt statue from RotHC, Senya.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've started playing this (yeah it was the trailer) and I'm doing Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer. I've noticed that when I smash Force Lightning, I can then instantly cast Chain Lightning, which normally has a casting time. This mechanic is not explained anywhere I can find and if the buttons weren't next to each other on my bar I wouldn't have noticed. Is there anywhere that can give me some details about this, like what other powers have this synergy? Am I supposed to be setting up combo chains or something?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've started playing this (yeah it was the trailer) and I'm doing Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer. I've noticed that when I smash Force Lightning, I can then instantly cast Chain Lightning, which normally has a casting time. This mechanic is not explained anywhere I can find and if the buttons weren't next to each other on my bar I wouldn't have noticed. Is there anywhere that can give me some details about this, like what other powers have this synergy? Am I supposed to be setting up combo chains or something?

Check your skill tree - as you level up you gain passive perks. I think it's... k by default? But you can also click the icon at the top of your screen.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

This is one of the down sides of the simpler/faster leveling. You gain levels so quickly and you don't have to train most abilities that you'll miss ones that are in your class tree. I'm pretty sure the instant-cast chain lightning is from one of these:

(This picture is out of date, but you get the idea.)

I find it extremely educational to look at it once in a while and mouse over each ability so that I actually have more of a clue as to what's going on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

This is one of the down sides of the simpler/faster leveling. You gain levels so quickly and you don't have to train most abilities that you'll miss ones that are in your class tree. I'm pretty sure the instant-cast chain lightning is from one of these:

I find it extremely educational to look at it once in a while and mouse over each ability so that I actually have more of a clue as to what's going on.

Even with slower leveling it's a really poor way of communicating to players what their stuff does.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

sassassin posted:

Even with slower leveling it's a really poor way of communicating to players what their stuff does.

There are tons of in game tutorials, and the skill trees explicitly explain the perks. They even made it so if a skill is buffed it flashes and is highlighted.

What more would you like to see?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

There are tons of in game tutorials, and the skill trees explicitly explain the perks. They even made it so if a skill is buffed it flashes and is highlighted.

What more would you like to see?

When you gain a level where one of those passive buffs kicks in, it says something like "Trained ability Something" on the middle of the screen, but it fades away super-fast, and it isn't in the chat window, so it's very easy to miss.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

When you gain a level where one of those passive buffs kicks in, it says something like "Trained ability Something" on the middle of the screen, but it fades away super-fast, and it isn't in the chat window, so it's very easy to miss.

True, but if you view through the "skill tree" tutorial or whatever it's called it explains the skills, passives and actives.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

True, but if you view through the "skill tree" tutorial or whatever it's called it explains the skills, passives and actives.

Right, that's why I advise people to look at it every once in a while. I never used to, and had very little awareness of what was going on.

Levels come pretty fast; if you don't look around, you could miss them.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Also some little tidbits in there - they're releasing a new type of Party Jawa it appears, so people who missed out on the sub reward early on can do the achievements.

KOTET chapters (and possibly KOTFE chapters) can be replayed on higher difficulties with characters.

There will be a new portable faction neutral holo-class trainer like the Hutt statue from RotHC, Senya.

I can't wait to read the SWTOR forums when the news on that new Party Jawa hits. There's been a substantial amount of threads asking for it to be made available in some way for the people who didn't get it for whatever reasons and drat if those threads aren't a magnet for the longtime subscriber crowd who takes the sub gifts as Serious Business to act like even making it available on the Cartel Market would cause massive unsubbing, the shutdown of the game and the complete collapse of the Star Wars franchise . I figure the accusations of because all those whiny entitled have nots complained about daring to want what they didn't have took away content development resources for the game so these unworthy could have a new Party Jawa should be glorious with the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I swear, with how serious some of the long time subscribers take the sub gifts, I really wouldn't be surprised to see a post telling someone who's sub lapsed during a tragic death in the family or a near death hospitalization that it's all their fault they let their sub lapse because they should've put the game first.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I can't wait to read the SWTOR forums when the news on that new Party Jawa hits. There's been a substantial amount of threads asking for it to be made available in some way for the people who didn't get it for whatever reasons and drat if those threads aren't a magnet for the longtime subscriber crowd who takes the sub gifts as Serious Business to act like even making it available on the Cartel Market would cause massive unsubbing, the shutdown of the game and the complete collapse of the Star Wars franchise . I figure the accusations of because all those whiny entitled have nots complained about daring to want what they didn't have took away content development resources for the game so these unworthy could have a new Party Jawa should be glorious with the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I swear, with how serious some of the long time subscribers take the sub gifts, I really wouldn't be surprised to see a post telling someone who's sub lapsed during a tragic death in the family or a near death hospitalization that it's all their fault they let their sub lapse because they should've put the game first.

For more on this topic, see the Star Trek Online thread. Internet nerds get incredibly sensitive about "muh ecks loosives", especially in space it seems. Hopefully TOR won't do the same thing STO is :ohdear:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ohgod i feel the call of this game again please jesus help me

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So I got this game when it first came out, got the pre order special edition and everything after playing the early access beta and all (it was a lot of fun at first glance) then it came out and I played a bit more with a friend, until they played more than me and leveled past me making grouping up pretty much just annoying/useless to them and we all sort of lost interested (them having I guess no EndGame stuff, and me getting busy with other stuff and having to solo grind before it looks like they made that easier to do).

If a trailer can get me interested again, and now looks like a good a time as any to get back into the game for a bit, (was going to do that Amazon starter kit), should I just delete my old chars and roll a new one or so to do the LvD stuff as well as run through the story.

And with the LvD stuff (that XP armor sounds great) do I have enough time to casually grind the requirements for that out while going through a characters story, or should I focus on getting all that done as fast as possible, then go back through the story another time only after I have said armor?

Have been hankering to get into an MMO again for reasons I cannot understand (I don't really have a lot of free time, energy, etc, but I just... Want to?) and outside of the work EVE takes to get into, TOR seems like the best bet with the expansion coming up.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

EdEddnEddy posted:

So I got this game when it first came out, got the pre order special edition and everything after playing the early access beta and all (it was a lot of fun at first glance) then it came out and I played a bit more with a friend, until they played more than me and leveled past me making grouping up pretty much just annoying/useless to them and we all sort of lost interested (them having I guess no EndGame stuff, and me getting busy with other stuff and having to solo grind before it looks like they made that easier to do).

If a trailer can get me interested again, and now looks like a good a time as any to get back into the game for a bit, (was going to do that Amazon starter kit), should I just delete my old chars and roll a new one or so to do the LvD stuff as well as run through the story.

And with the LvD stuff (that XP armor sounds great) do I have enough time to casually grind the requirements for that out while going through a characters story, or should I focus on getting all that done as fast as possible, then go back through the story another time only after I have said armor?

Have been hankering to get into an MMO again for reasons I cannot understand (I don't really have a lot of free time, energy, etc, but I just... Want to?) and outside of the work EVE takes to get into, TOR seems like the best bet with the expansion coming up.

Looks like you have plenty of time for everything except maybe the Legendary tier because that's pretty ridiculous and includes events that may only come around again once or twice during the time remaining. If you are worried about playtime, skip the generic side quests and exploration quests and just do the planetary/class quests (purple icons on your map and quest list I think). If I remember right you get a couple pieces for Level 25, a couple for Level 50, a couple for beating Shadows of Revan expansion, a couple for chapters 1-9 of KOTFE, and the last for chapters 10-16 plus some easy side stuff. And then you get the dark or light companion if you get a second character from the opposite faction up in levels too.

Edit: right now with the xp bonuses you will level faster than the story by far. Once you have the +xp armor you will level even faster, letting you skip chunks of the story if you care to. People already have been, especially working on the legendary tier requirement to get all 8 classes to level 50. The game will put you down to the level of the content, I'm 13(11) in Korriban now.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 13, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hmm. Sounds fun for the most part. So the armor you just trade to each character after you get it all as you level each one? Whats the time requirement about to get the armor in the first place on the first char? And like I mentioned, is there any reason to keep my old legacy char around ( think it was at like 40 or something) for any reason?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hmm. Sounds fun for the most part. So the armor you just trade to each character after you get it all as you level each one? Whats the time requirement about to get the armor in the first place on the first char? And like I mentioned, is there any reason to keep my old legacy char around ( think it was at like 40 or something) for any reason?

Keep it around unless you run out of slots and want to make a new one. You might want to get whatever class it is to max level at some point and starting at 40 is easier than starting at 1. Of course, if you wanted to replay that class's story from the beginning, you might as well make another.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

For me, I did the DvL event on two servers and when all was said and done, made it to Eternal level. As I started during summer when the event started, I had a good chunk of it knocked out quick with the only part taking long was the Flashpoint Expert one because I was twomanning it with a guildie who's available time wasn't as much as mine. With the XP boost going on, and all the other XP bonuses like the DvL armor and the token rewards, I think it's still pretty doable to knock out up to Eternal level with maybe the tactical flashpoints being time consuming if you don't have others on hand to run it with you.

Not sure if this guide's still helpful but I used it when I was running the event. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=886350

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Tactical FPs pop so so quickly, I knocked them all out in a couple of days. You have to do a ton of them for Shadow of Revan anyway. Hard mode flashpoints on the other hand... :suicide:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Tactical FPs pop so so quickly, I knocked them all out in a couple of days. You have to do a ton of them for Shadow of Revan anyway. Hard mode flashpoints on the other hand... :suicide:

What server are you on again? You could always transfer over to JC and i could give you a hand. :)

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
how do i change specs? i talked to the advance class trainer and nothing. do i need to buy the legacy unlock or am i missing someone?

also what is the best dps spec for vanguard/PT for leveling and solo?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cyron posted:

how do i change specs? i talked to the advance class trainer and nothing. do i need to buy the legacy unlock or am i missing someone?

also what is the best dps spec for vanguard/PT for leveling and solo?

You speak to the skill mentor in the combat training area, or you can buy the field respec perk for 200k to do it at any time.

Both specs are good, I'd say Pyrotech is probably better early on and leveling. AP is better for HM raiding, but obviously if you're not doing progression raiding any spec is good.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Medullah posted:

You speak to the skill mentor in the combat training area, or you can buy the field respec perk for 200k to do it at any time.

Both specs are good, I'd say Pyrotech is probably better early on and leveling. AP is better for HM raiding, but obviously if you're not doing progression raiding any spec is good.

i assume pyrotech is plasmatech for VG? i am playing pubside so i am a bit lost.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cyron posted:

i assume pyrotech is plasmatech for VG? i am playing pubside so i am a bit lost.

Yeah sorry. Don't sweat not knowing the class as you're leveling, just have fun and enjoy what you can of the story.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Liking this, gives a character something to do once they've completed KotET. I'm way more interested in class changes though.

Also more subscriber rewards...I'm already at 59 emails on a new character, they need to automate some of that already.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Liking this, gives a character something to do once they've completed KotET. I'm way more interested in class changes though.

Also more subscriber rewards...I'm already at 59 emails on a new character, they need to automate some of that already.

You have to admit there's some fun in hitting level 3 in your stronghold though.

I assume you know, but jedipedia has the class changes up. Nothing too earth shattering.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

i mean yeah, technically speaking yeah, but KOTFE especially is barely an MMO. Yeah you *can* do Flashpoints and Operations and PVP, but it's ostensibly a single-player game

Fair enough, there is more single player story content than typical MMO content at the moment. Hopefully that changes at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

Starting KOTFE will lock you out of a ton of earlier story content, so you don't want to start that too soon if the story interests you.

Getting a ton of XP early on is a good idea, though, because almost all game content will scale to your level. This is my usual method for a new character:

1. Do the full intro planet story; no need to rush it because it's pretty quick already.
2. Hit the fleet and get your advanced class, and do the little breadcrumb quests for crafting and stuff. Click every crew skill trainer for the codex entry, it's free XP.
3. Do the first solo-mode flashpoint for more quick XP. Enjoy the story if you're not burnt out on it.
4. Grab one or two friends and do heroics for a while, it's fast XP, fast money, and you'll have a full set of good, level-appropriate gear after a couple planets.

At this point, depending on how you played, your character might be around... level 35? With double XP, who knows... Anyway, level 35-ish is a good time to continue:

5. Now go back and pick up your class story at the second planet. You can cruise through the entire class story without doing ANY side quests, because you built up a good XP buffer. The level scaling means you still get good XP from the low-level quests. By the time you wrap up the story you'll be at LEAST level 50. With double XP you might even hit 65.

If you want to pause between chapters and do more solo-mode flashpoints, that will give you some extra bang for your buck story-wise, and give you some DvL achievements.

After the class story you can do whatever late-game stuff / expansion content you feel like. (Follow the Dulfy guide if you're going for the XP armor.)

Even playing casually, all this probably won't take more than a week. Given that the event runs a couple more months, you'll have ample time to mess with some alts.

• Locked thread