Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Problem description:

My Samsung M3 external HD is being an arsehole. It isn't being recognized (mainly) by Win10. Can't see anything in File Explorer or 'My PC' when I'm using a prog to open files. I can see it in 'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' and 'Devices and Printers'.

The drive itself seems fine, cables not hosed, and I can feel it whirring slightly so its not dead. It worked fine on my old PC when I copied the files over.

Google says I should assign a drive letter in Disk Management, but there are no options to do this. (see screenshot). The only selectable option is 'Convert to Dynamic Disk' and I've no real clue what this would do.

http://imgur.com/gPSU3NX

Attempted fixes:

Ran trouble shooter (no issues detected) and checked drivers were up to date (they are). Tried different USB ports (no change).

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:
i-7-6700k 4 ghz, 16 gb RAM, 500mb SSD, GTX 970

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
When you used it last, did you have multiple partitions set up on it? It looks like there were some set up on that drive that no-longer exist.

Right-click the box with the blue header (3rd) and see if you're able to assign a drive letter to that.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Actuarial Fables posted:

When you used it last, did you have multiple partitions set up on it? It looks like there were some set up on that drive that no-longer exist.

Right-click the box with the blue header (3rd) and see if you're able to assign a drive letter to that.

Honestly, I don't know - never had a reason to check before.

No joy with right clocking on the blue box. The only selectable option is 'Delete Volume' and even I know thats a bad idea.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What OS were you using when you copied the files over?

Sometimes an HD will have issues appearing properly on a newer OS.

You may want to backup up all the files on the M3 drive and then format the M3 on W10 and then try and copy files from the old to the new computer.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's a file permissions issue. Go into Explorer and Right Click on the hard drive -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced. Next to Owner hit Change, and assign your Windows 10 account as Owner.

But if you need to use it between multiple computers frequently I believe you can also just add your account to the permissions list for the drive and that should do it as well.

• Locked thread