Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
SHADOW WARRIOR 2

Made by Flying Wild Hog and produced by Devolver Digital

:siren: Out Now on PC for just $40 :siren: (ON SALE FOR $35 UNTIL OCTOBER 20 ON STEAM - may require you to own Flying Hog games? Unclear)

Console release in 2017

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324800/

Features:

1-4 player co-op! But perfectly enjoyable as a solo game too.

Basically Borderlands if the combat wasn't lovely, replaced with Doom 4's run-and-gun crazy action.

High-octane fps with rpg weapon loot drops, procedural levels, beautiful graphics, fast action, and more dick jokes than you can imagine.
Good bit different from Shadow Warrior 1, don't worry at all if you didn't play it. SW1 was more linear, this has a hub world and focus on co-op and level re-playability.

Levels range from traditional Japanese houses and forests to crazy futuristic cyberpunk cities, enemies range from robots to oni demons.
Hub area with stores for buying new weapons or weapon mods, then you teleport to different 'missions' which can be re-played for more loot.

Roam around a big open space, bumping into different crazy boss monsters with Diablo style random ability affixes while on a quest to pick up different objectives. Levels with enough winding paths and some back-tracking that it actually feels more like an old school FPS in some respects than Doom 4 did. Levels are also re-configured each time you play them like Diablo, to keep things fresh.

There is a story campaign but its pretty dumb, mostly full of dick and fart jokes that are so cheesy they're actually kinda funny.

Double jump, dash, sprint all over the place like a flippin' ninja. CRAZY mobility. Even faster combat than Doom 4!

TONS of swords and guns both, melee combat with special attacks and all kinds of upgrade-able and customize-able guns.
Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, uzis, machine guns, rocket launchers, bows, katanas, chainsaws; this game has it all and more.

Weapons themselves are not randomized, but are each unique, so you avoid the borderlands problem of getting guns with good stats that feel lovely to shoot. Most guns are pop culture references as well.

Guns and Melee Weapons have 3 slots for upgrades, and upgrades drop randomly as you kill monsters and include all kinds of alterations, with things as simple as +damage or +firerate to things as crazy as a mod that makes a weapon double-barreled or a mod that lets you drop any gun as a turret!

Its fun and stupid and funny and really good times; solo or with friends.

If you like Borderlands, Doom, Diablo, Left4Dead, Vermintide, Payday, Killing Field or Nazi Zombies definitely check this poo poo out.

Zagrod posted:

Just in case you guys didn't know - if you see the Shadow Warrior 2 decal, there (usually) is a secret hidden nearby. For example, in the pic below you can jump through the painting on the wall into a hidden room

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

The previous one was clunky and bad. Is this clunky and bad?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlueGrot posted:

The previous one was clunky and bad. Is this clunky and bad?

It is so far not at all clunky and bad. It is actually fast and smooth and rad. The mobility is crazy, you move pretty fast by default and you can always double-jump and mid-air dash, over and over.

I wanted to like the first game but couldn't get super into it. Loved Doom 4, and now I'm really enjoying blasting through this.

FPS melee combat always feels a little funky, but you can just focus on guns if you want. And the skills make melee pretty dang fun, its about as good as Vermintide at least.

Especially with co-op, it almost makes sense to have one or two guys focus on like melee while one or two guys focus on ranged. But you can mix it up however you want.

I feel like batman blasting across the map with all the double jumps and dashes and stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Supposedly you can grab a weapon early from the hub area above the ninja shop. Any tips on how to get to that window?

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I'm here for the wang bang.

I've been playing Shadow Warrior and completely forgot that this was released. Going to immediately cease that and begin this rad as poo poo looking game!

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

jivjov posted:

Supposedly you can grab a weapon early from the hub area above the ninja shop. Any tips on how to get to that window?

There's a gateway next to the entrance to the ninja shop. Across the street is a ledge. The gate has an invisible wall on top but if you double jump + dash at it you can catch the lip of the roof and do another double jump + dash and wedge yourself in next to the window.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm actually laughing at this game's dumb jokes. Also all of the guns are puns and I love it.

And unlike Doom 4, not only is the chainsaw a normal weapon you can use a lot, but if you hold right click instead of left click, you get manual mouse control over your chainsaw swing. You can carve up demons like you're ice sculpting! :allears:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
This is a good and cool game

Reminder: Kill all rabbits you see.

Edit: What's the pun for the Hauer?

Edit 2: Out of curiosity I looked up 'Hauer' and I got Rutger Hauer who starred in a movie called Hobo with a Shotgun, so I'm going to guess that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

There's a gateway next to the entrance to the ninja shop. Across the street is a ledge. The gate has an invisible wall on top but if you double jump + dash at it you can catch the lip of the roof and do another double jump + dash and wedge yourself in next to the window.

Awesome, just did it using this method.

The gun's name is "King Skeletor" :aaa:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 14, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Morter posted:

This is a good and cool game

Reminder: Kill all rabbits you see.

Edit: What's the pun for the Hauer?

Edit 2: Out of curiosity I looked up 'Hauer' and I got Rutger Hauer who starred in a movie called Hobo with a Shotgun, so I'm going to guess that.

Yep, Hauer is Hobo with a Shotgun.

There's also the "stick of Doom" a clear doom SSG reference, the "Deck-ARD" which is a Blade Runner reference, and on and on

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
never mind i'm dumb

For content's sake: I caught this in an alley

:raise:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I had to jump off the head of the samurai armor instead; but I made it!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Turns out that one of the doors you can't use in Wang's place is actually not solid and you can go down into the basement by walking through it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thread music for this cool game that is good and also cool:
https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/stan-bush-warrior-ep

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

It is funny because wang means penis.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Those Yakuza are pretty tough fellas. :stare:

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016
I just caught wind of this game and hoo boy, it looks real good.

Morter posted:

never mind i'm dumb

For content's sake: I caught this in an alley

:raise:

Ah, Enter the Gungeon, a goodass game from Devolver Digital.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's a shame the photo mode doesn't actually show the player. I know why it doesn't but I imagine some of the cool things you could take photos of will be significantly less cool with no Wang (heh).

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

this game is really good

get ready for some Lo Wang

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

explosivo posted:

It's a shame the photo mode doesn't actually show the player. I know why it doesn't but I imagine some of the cool things you could take photos of will be significantly less cool with no Wang (heh).

Selfie-stick fantasy ruined.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How much did I miss out on by not preordering?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

A chainsaw katana. I missed it too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

fadam posted:

One sword which I found to be too slow to be of any real use.

Specifically it has slowdown in the attack when you hit things. But the rest of the world doesn't slow down.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure that slowdown inflicts multiple hits on the enemy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deakul posted:

Thread music for this cool game that is good and also cool:
https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/stan-bush-warrior-ep

This is totally :krad:

Mordja posted:

Those Yakuza are pretty tough fellas. :stare:

I told a friend of mine that this is Kung Pow: The Game, and I'm glad to see I was spot on

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
This game is fantastic. The only thing I dislike about it is it has my pet peeve of having a skill that gives bonus XP%. Everything else is pitch perfect. And holy jeez there's a lot of weapons!

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
This game loving owns, darting around like a ninja with Freddy Krueger hands as my melee weapon is amazing, all the weapons feel fun to use (minus the starting SMG imo). I'm hype as hell to see what Flying Wild Hog adds post-launch.

My only thing is I feel like the powers are mostly forgettable, but I guess that's because I focused most of my stuff on melee and HP so I can cut more dudes up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure that slowdown inflicts multiple hits on the enemy.
Yes, but they're in the 20-ish range when the listed per-hit damage of the weapon is 100. I found the dual katanas you get early better.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
How do socketed gems like +% Item Gain or +% Karma gain or +% Resist work. Is that only when you have that weapon they're socketed out and using it?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The chainsaw-katana doesn't have an alt fire like the regular chainsaw, does it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mordja posted:

The chainsaw-katana doesn't have an alt fire like the regular chainsaw, does it?

No it has normal sword alt-fires.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I regret not pre-ordering this yesterday for the chainsaw sword, but I guess this game has enough weapons I won't really mind.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so, is it possible to remove things you slot into weapons or at least replace them? i didn't particularly see an option jumping out at me, so i'm hesitant to start plugging stuff into weapons.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I feel like a better description for this game is like Borderlands, but with way better gameplay and writing.

e: right click on upgrades on guns to remove them, go hog wild trying out upgrades until you find stuff you like. Skills can be reset from shops for a chunk of money.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

so, is it possible to remove things you slot into weapons or at least replace them? i didn't particularly see an option jumping out at me, so i'm hesitant to start plugging stuff into weapons.

Yep you can freely swap items in and out of slots, its not permanent at all.

The downside to this is the RPS review mentioned sometimes you want to stop and swap things around before a boss fight, which is kinda micro-managey, but its apparently not too necessary and seems okay.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Also you can channel the chi strike into a mighty boot like the Dukes of old by pressing C while doing a forward dash, it's very satisfying.

Basically this is an FPS Diablo where your FPS skills actually matter, and the stat micro-management takes a backseat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ah, i must either be half blind or it's not super apparent in the UI. in any case, i'm enjoying the pseudo-rpg elements. so far i haven't cared way too much about the melee weapons, but hopefully i find something more interesting than swords and chainsaws.

anyone have an idea of how many weapons there actually are in the game?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Johnny Joestar posted:

anyone have an idea of how many weapons there actually are in the game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Russian Remoulade posted:

Selfie-stick fantasy ruined.

Loading screen got your back

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just got a weapon upgrade that lets me drop my gun as a turret that keeps shooting while I run around shooting another gun :allears:

• Locked thread