Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Saaame heeere and the sperg in me won't let me switch them to something more fun.
I'm rolling with item drop up armor upgrades myself. (All of which have other effects too, IIRC, so I'm not super hard in on it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jusupov posted:

How many times are you standing still in a game like this

That's just there as incentive to KEEP moving :haw:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had no clue that SW got a sequel and this type of game is VERY appealing.
You can make turrets out of your guns but can you make stuff like spider mines?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Jusupov posted:

How many times are you standing still in a game like this

If you do the vortex move with that active on insane it's a death sentence

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I maxed out the stealth spell first for the 200% melee damage buff and so far it's been absolutely amazing. You can just walk next to a group of enemies or one of the bigger baddies and just destroy them with a fully charged melee move.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mr.Citrus posted:

The vortex move with the chainsword is a trap too. It take a few seconds to saw through any given enemy and you still take damage during it, so the more enemies there are the more screwed you are.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

hail satan

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shadow Warrior 2's weapon arsenal feels like it comes out of a mod, and I mean that in the best possible way. I'm talking like Project Brutality for Doom or Ballistic Weapons for UT04, where you're given access to a huge number of ever-escalating guns and it's up to the player to figure out what they like and don't like. While there's obviously a lot to be said for a pared-down, ultra focused list of firearms--see this year's Doom for example--I've got a real soft spot for the kitchen sink approach when it's executed so well.

Plus when it comes to starter shotguns, SW2's got Doom 2016 beat; I only ever liked that one when I unlocked the grenade secondary.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
So what's the loop of this game? Playing through the campaign on progressively higher difficulties? or is there something else like procedurally generated content?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Gonna get this after work today. Looking to play co-op.

Add me on steam: baroqueassnigga

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
So if DOOM 4 and SW2 are available at the same price, which one should I get? Have played neither but am a child of old quakes, dooms etc.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Peddle2thaMetal posted:

So if DOOM 4 and SW2 are available at the same price, which one should I get? Have played neither but am a child of old quakes, dooms etc.

In your case, definitely check out Doom 4 first.
I can't NOT recommend it to anyone that played FPSes in the 90s.

It invokes everything amazing about them in a tight gory package.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Peddle2thaMetal posted:

Doom 2016 is a very solid, meaty, thrilling FPS with a linear, but sturdy campaign.

SW2 is just as frenetic but it's more about jokes, loot, level ups, and doing things like side quests to unlock powers and weapons.

Both are very very good but if you're one of those people that'd rather have direction than open-ness, or have an aversion to procedurally generated areas (as I've seen many goons bitch about), then go for DooM.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Accordion Man posted:

Decided to pick this up now because I've heard nothing but good things and I bought the first game for like 10 bucks and I think they deserve more of my money for that as well.

Rather disappointed that my fears of Wang's character arc from the first game not sticking ended up being true, but it does play real well.

There's a part where Wang acknowledges that, spoilering just incase he can be kind of a dickhead when speaking to Smith. Smith says, paraphrased, "your path is not the one of silence and to walk differently would be a folly." It won't win any awards but it's nice.

If anyone is curious, the dialogue is after the side mission "Ninja'd Scrolls - Part 2"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Peddle2thaMetal posted:

Tough choice.

DOOM 4 if you're primarily concerned with the singleplayer (the MP is a bit lackluster) and want a solid 10-12 hours of a action-packed campaign. It basically does one thing but does it extremely well.

SW2 if you want the RPG elements and the melee combat (and co-op)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Both have the best FPS combat of any game in years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

I really rushed through the tutorial mission, so I may have missed this if it was covered, but if you are using WASD you can double-tap W to sprint like you would in other FPS games where you would hold Shift. This is separate from the Dash move.

I didn't know there was a Sprint until I was playing it with a DS4 and clicked in the left stick. I don't see a way to bind the Sprint function to a distinct key on the keyboard, which is a minor annoyance for me because I use a G13 thumbstick for FPS games and double-tapping a joystick is too slow, but I'm confident that I'll get around this with macros.

There's no point in sprinting anyways when you can just dash around which is at least just as fast but also more fun.

Mr.Citrus posted:

You can keep moving and dashing while you're doing the Vortex.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tequila posted:

So what's the loop of this game? Playing through the campaign on progressively higher difficulties? or is there something else like procedurally generated content?

The campaign itself is procedurally generated. Its very much Diablo, but FPS.

Note that 3D procedural generation is really hard to do well (See: Hellgate London, No Man's Sky, etc.) so the levels are mostly pre-configured pieces that can be moved around as modular pieces, or variables that can be modified like what paths are open, how long a corridor is, etc. The levels mostly remain the same, the themes are the same, and are very pretty.

The loop of the game is blasting through your quests killing dudes and getting loot until you beat the game, then you just freeroam through areas killing bosses getting better loot. Its exactly like diablo in what you play, but its doom in how you play.

Mordja posted:

I'm so glad we've finally had enough Modern Warfare clones that audiences are tiring of that and publishers are willing to try new things.

Because these are the kinda FPS I loving want.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I saw somebody use a chainsaw. Where can I get that?

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh

Mordja posted:

It certainly looks like it, and I'm really glad that both have been well received. I like the "arguments" for both sides... if my friends already had copies of SW2 I'd probably go with that just for the co-op. I've wanted DOOM since it came out, but have yet to grab it/trying to wait for a price drop. Thanks for the input

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm so glad we've finally had enough Modern Warfare clones that audiences are tiring of that and publishers are willing to try new things.

Because these are the kinda FPS I loving want.

:agreed: With new Doom and SW2, it's been a good year for run n gun shoot demonmans games.

Given how much they improved on SW1, I'd love to see what they do with a Hard Reset 2 which I'm sure they'll be making. HR was cool at the time as a fresh air back in 2011 when it was just cod/gears of war clone gameplay as far as the eye can see, but it's also really flawed and has a lot of bad things about it. But if they could give it the SW1->SW2 treatment then it'd be amazing as I liked the cyberpunky setting

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

Weapons are somewhat random but a lot are quest rewards and drops from bosses.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Michaellaneous posted:

I got it from one of the first or second mission quests? At least I think so, it's hard to pay attention when I get a new item.

I actually didn't find it very good, seems I take a lot of damage with it and don't deal that much damage compared to a sword even though it says it does more DPS. I kind of wished it was more like Doom Chainsaw where it turns enemies into loot pinatas

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Michaellaneous posted:

You should be able to buy a Warrrsaw from Larry as soon as you unlock him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

I actually didn't find it very good, seems I take a lot of damage with it and don't deal that much damage compared to a sword even though it says it does more DPS.

The right click actually does really good damage if you make the effort to saw up an enemy with it.

Still, the sword's probably better for overall DPS.

EDIT: \/ I got the chainsword from that mission so it must be somewhat random.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Michaellaneous posted:

There's a chainsaw, a pre-order chainsaw katana, and also a chainsaw sword.

And hell, probably more, I'm not even that far into the game yet.

The warrrrsaw should be pretty early? I guess its random, I got it like right away, first mission after the tutorial.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

And hell, probably more, I'm not even that far into the game yet.

I saw a gif of something that's basically a bunch of circular sawblades on a stick.

Argh why won't work be over already!

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I found the Warrsaw in Wang's office on the caves second floor. Is that random?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

kikkelivelho posted:

I found the Warrsaw in Wang's office on the caves second floor. Is that random?

oh I think that's where I found it, or at least the chainsaw, actually since it was like part of the quest to go pickup stuff at the wang cave

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

FWIW I found the preorder chainsword in the Wang Cave and the Warrsaw at Larry's. I guess it's random :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

oh I think that's where I found it, or at least the chainsaw, actually since it was like part of the quest to go pickup stuff at the wang cave

Huh, I got the chainkatana from that quest, so maybe it depends on whether you preordered or not?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
That bossfight at the end of chapter 1 sure was something on the hardest difficulty

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I meant the chainsword katana.

Too bad it's preorder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-nevermind-

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm curious as to whether specific items have randomized traits or not. For example, from what I've read, one of the earlier bosses will always drop a specific set of bone claws. In my case, using any special attack with it gives a +15% crit chance for a few seconds, anyone else have a different effect with the same item?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mordja posted:

I'm curious as to whether specific items have randomized traits or not. For example, from what I've read, one of the earlier bosses will always drop a specific set of bone claws. In my case, using any special attack with it gives a +15% crit chance for a few seconds, anyone else have a different effect with the same item?

i got that when i killed the chef, and it has the same effect from what i can tell. i'm assuming weapons will always have a certain bonus effect that's the same throughout games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Huh, I got the chainkatana from that quest, so maybe it depends on whether you preordered or not?

Yeah I bet that's it. You get warrsaw there unless you pre-ordered, in which case that takes its place and you get warrsaw later.

Mordja posted:

Yeah I think weapons are set stats, so we'll never get a second drop of the same weapon.

I really like it that way.

Then weapons are just balanced for DPS with their fire rate and blast radius and things like that, and the way guns get more powerful is through gems, not through getting better guns.

More guns are just new toys, side-grades, not upgrades that make your old guns obsolete. I really like that. Good system!

They're free to drop randomly generated weapon gems then from bosses and we can freely hotswap them into whatever weapons we happen to prefer. CHOICES! OPTIONS! PREFERENCES! Yay!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool. As dumb as this game is, it's really smart with mixing hand-crafted with generated content in a ratio that keeps me interested.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jusupov posted:

That bossfight at the end of chapter 1 sure was something on the hardest difficulty

It has so much HP. I basically just ran in circles until the ammo shrine would refill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the weapon system really does remind me of the one from the project brutality mod for doom. everything has some sort of use, it's just up to the player to find out what they like and tailor it to their playstyle.

• Locked thread