Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I just hope the Necrodancer gets picked because that is the greatest character pitch I've seen since alcharagia's Shogun for the EO3 thread. Actually, it might be better than that one. As for names, given as we're in the D&D flavoured version of EO, how about Guild Grognard?

As for classes... Shaman, Necromancer, Masurao.

vdate fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Leg binds are slightly more dangerous than they were in previous EOs due to the fact that they now just full-on reduce AGI (meaning that they affect accuracy as well as turn order), but there's still the big problem of "very few skills for both the player and the enemy use the

I'm thinking you may have omitted something here.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

But I like Falz and Greg. :(

In all seriousness, yeah, vote on dog and bird names.

Clearly, the only option is Rocky and Bullwinkle, however Clarste does her kanji magic to fit those into six characters! (Well, to fit Bullwinkle into six characters.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Are you still gonna post the literal-ish Japanese translated names alongside the ones you're going to refer to them by? This is a neat little piece of writing I'm a little sad didn't translate well and I kinda want to see the goofy-rear end on-the-fly names for FOEs now.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Kanji soup sounds considerably more technically complicated to make than alphabet soup. The noodle-y bits would need to be a lot bigger for most of them to be readable, plus they might not hold their shape, and...

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I was going to say even before the second half that Genetta was my new favourite innkeeper. Now, it is certain.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Geomancing posted:

You have defeated the guardian and shattered the glamour that has has stopped anyone from reaching further into the Labyrinth for hundreds of years. In the time it took you to return to town and report your success, guards, adventurers and wanderers have fully explored every floor up to the next boss, and have a litany of requests, advice, and favors to ask of you.

That seems incredibly odd given that it's the second Stratum. Most Etrian Odyssey games establish in the fluff that people can make it to the second stratum, at least. It's after that that things tend to get a little weird, but EO5 apparently gets on the nonsense train extra-special early.

Well, that and the fact that there was a person waiting for us upstairs implies that maybe that seal wasn't as foolproof as suggested.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Negative Energy is weird - it seems like you want two Necromancers in a party to use it? One to summon ghosts and use Negative Energy, and one to blow up ghosts using Ghost Explosion? Weird gimmick team, but maybe still useful as damage dealers?

yeah i got nothin'

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Genetta continues to be more magical every time we interact with her. Kaelin's outrage simply makes it the sweeter.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I was going to say, 'Dashing Neckbeasts' made me imagine a giraffe dressed as, I dunno, the better class of pirate or Prince Vorkken or something.

So dashing!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I quite enjoy that alcharagia's only apparent purpose in this LP is to MST3K it while it's happening.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
What's your beef with Lily, Magda? She's been pretty cool every time we've met her. Also, there's been a lot fewer series-standard enemies than I expected thus far - I don't think I've seen a single reused one this Stratum! Actually, come to think of it, have there been ANY 'traditional' EO enemies yet?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Mind you, the floor tiles that instakill them are only present in the day. If anything here needs you to do it at night... I guess you get to have them chase you around the rest of the floor?

(insert 'spooky scary skeletons' joke here, I'm way too lazy to do it at the moment)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

This image is both magnificent and topical, although I don't know that skeletons have any skin to apply the image to.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Does the test-poster also hold to the 50k character limit? Because otherwise it seems to solve all the problems you solved by hosting updates on your website.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

quote:

You know, back in the day, I used to have such good friends. I could talk to them about anything, count on them for anything, and we were always together...

But, I realized far too late that having the people around you still be around tomorrow is life's greatest luxury. Remember that.

Yikes, lady, that got heavy out of nowhere! Where did that come from?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I always assumed they had a piece of cloth wrapped around their face, covering their mouth and hanging down.

Sort of like a combination tabard and scarf! You may also note that the skeletons have tusks, which didn't fully register for me the first time I saw them. Also re: skeletons, the difference in the scale of the numbers of this game make me :stonk: every time I look at an FOE statline and see something that wouldn't be out of place on an endgame boss in EO1-4.

In unrelated news, like the EO2U LP before it, this LP is instilling the desire to play this game in me something fierce. Alas, I don't think they've even announced a release date or released a demo in English or anything.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Look, when you haven't got any ghosts you work with the materials at hand.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Guests only have terrible builds if they're not named Baldur.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ah, it's another one of those updates where I suspect alcharagia was commentating while drunk. Or perhaps just commentating while alcharagia. As I have no actual confirmed 'alcharagia was definitely commentating while drunk' updates it's hard for me to make an educated guess.

Good to see the LP climbed out of the P5 pit, though!

vdate fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 21, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Option B it is, then!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Of course, in a game with different races there just has to be some form of racism, you know.

It's why Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games got a T rating!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Hi uh the next update's not ready yet but

http://atlus.com/test-slider-approval-page-qwerty54658798/

EO5's hitting the US this Fall!

Uh, this link is 404ing for me, and Atlus' home page doesn't seem to have any mention of it in the news feed, either. So, uh, :confuoot:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Aaaaand Dosen continues to cement his lock on 'best character.'

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
How old is Dosen supposed to be, anyways? Is he a precocious child, or just a really gullible adult?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
DOSEN, Iseria, Falcon Gram, 4-Sword Jana.

What's a 'defense'?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Aww, and we were so close to voting in a comedy party!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, EO5's pretty light on the plot since it gets info dumped on you at the very end. Though EO3 and 4 did get bogged down by the plot, so I'm not exactly complaining.

Eh, overall I think I prefer some context on why I'm fighting this thing/these things. This boss really did seem to come out of nowhere.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Even in postgame, Genetta never disappoints.

Four Swords Jana, Combo Boxer Cecil, Gunpowder Dragoon Sasha, Hexa-Master Kaelin.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oliphant: Alexis, Iseria, Dosen, Heaven's Wrath Mio - Chains trigger off of Sylpheed activating, right? Let the fencing begin.
Zombie Dragon: Hexamaster Kaelin, Spirit-Summoning Lanzon, Gunpower Dragoon Sasha, 4-Sword Jana

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Name: Ladette Monterey
Class: Gunner
Appearance: Story Gunner, dull red dress, green eyes, azure gun, Troub 3 grey hair.

Any reasonably-sized Labyrinthine city has a seedy underbelly, and in Etria, if you're in the black market, you're in some way buying from the Monterey family. No bones about it. Old Monterey Jack, the founder of the family, is a tough old dog, and everyone who's anyone in Etria knows you don't double-cross a Monterey and live to tell the tale. These days, though, he's getting on in years, and a huge pile of tinier families are looking to get a piece of the pie once he kicks the bucket, thinking that whoever takes over the family after him will be an easy mark.

Ladette's known her whole life that that was what she was going to get into when she came of age, and by now, she's 22 and does twice as much work as an enforcer for the family as anyone else. Plenty of the old guard laugh her off, saying that staring down the barrel of a gun isn't the way a real mobster lives, that it's all about money, but if someone needs to pay up on a shipment of Highmore Caviar they haven't coughed up, Ladette knows the barrel of her trusty revolver Leandros is a better motivating factor than any pile of ental. Of course, when you're the boss's baby-faced daughter, people are going to cry nepotism no matter how many of them you could kill with a single bullet (even Billy from the Mauriat family and the stump for an arm you gave him.) So what's an enterprising young lady soon to inherit Etria's largest crime family to do? Enter the Labyrinth her own drat self, of course, and show those old bastards just how many things she can kill with a single bullet. (Plus, she might be more in favor of shooting, but nobody's gonna complain with a bit more ental on the side.)

Name: Jimmy
Class: Troubadour
Appearance: Troub 3, it's just Troub 3 because I can't improve on that portrait in any way

well howdy y'all my name's jimmy now i'm from a town down south in the country and now my family always told me that well i talk funny but i gots myself the loveliest singing voice you ever did hear and that's why i gotta put myself to work in makin melodies that the whole world's goin to bounce around to so when i stopped being a little boy and started being a big boy i started singing myselfs some barbaric marches and everywhere i went when i sang i kept accidentally givin people buffs in combat and so all the evil warlords around thought i was some kinda adventurer even if i told them mr. warlord i swears up and down i'm just a humble country boy and so i started jumpin around tryin to dodge all these crazy arrows and stuff and eventually i don't know how it happened but i was on stage in some kinda town hall gettin a medal for takin down haggar the horrible with my barbaric march and i told them well i'm just a humble country singer i ain't the kinda hero who deserves a medal and they told me he had some kinda princess done captive and i done reunited two warring kingdoms and also it turned out i done stepped on a switch that revealed the ancient imperial treasure and so now i'm a war hero and so now i just play in this bar all day cause now i'm a war hero so they can't tell me no! how y'all doin? want me to play yall some gilbert and the troubs?

Your character submissions continue to be works of art, although I'm not sure anything will ever match your Shogun submission in the EO3 LP in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Efe posted:

I'll throw my votes in for Gram Falcon, Magda, and Jana.

This person knows what's up.

• Locked thread