Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Two more 'cos hey.

Name: Gideon
Class: Dragoon
Portrait: 1B
Skin Color: Top row, 5th color
Hair Color: Red
Eye Color: Green
Voice: 20 (Rough)

Joining the Dragoon Corps has been Gideon's lifelong dream. But when he's finally inducted... he immediately regrets it. You see, he's only here for the sick, sick uniform. Trenchcoats are badass, the draconic pauldrons even moreso, and have you seen those gold chains?? But nobody ever told him about this stupid 'taunting your enemy so you get axed in the face' deal! His hair takes ages to style, and he's sure as hell not letting cow horns or frog bollocks anywhere near his proximity. And what's with his peers' obsession with using their shield to protect people or some poo poo when they've got a huge kick-rear end gun? That's super lame. (The huge guns are the other reason he wants to join the corps, but people tend to snicker and giggle when he says that out loud.) He would quit, but then he would lose the uniform and the gun, plus he's also spent a not-insignificant sum... gifting... the right people so he could get in. So whatever, this assignment to accompany tourists to a giant tree or something seems easy enough, he could fulfill his required duty hours while getting these lamers out of his perfect hair.

You may think no one in their right mind would want someone like that in their party, but Gideon is extraordinarily talented at one thing, and that's being punchable. He is so naturally obnoxious and abrasive, even monsters incapable of understanding human speech can't help but feel compelled to hit him whenever he opens his mouth. Quite ironically, this makes him a pretty effective Dragoon, even if he's nowhere near a noble one. His party may not be able to stand him, but they could do worse than having a good meatshield to get axes away from their faces.

Name: Alexis
Class: Fencer
Portrait: 3B
Skin Color: Default
Hair Color: Dark brown
Eye Color: Dark grey
Voice: 10 (Gentleman)

Alexis is the forty-seventh prince of a kingdom from a far, far away continent. He was to marry the thirty-second princess of a neighboring kingdom in another one of their families' endless list of political marriages, but this particular princess turned out to be a bit of a rebel. She ditched him on the wedding day without so much an explanation or an apology. Later that he found out that she had grown dissatisfied with her caged and dictated life, so she escaped to Aeolis to become an "adventurer" and scale its giant tree - the Yggdrasil. Even later on, he found out she had perished inside the dungeon.

He may not know her name, or have seen her face, or... know much anything about her at all, but Alexis has his honor. He would not let the murderer of his bethrothed go unpunished. There's one problem, however. He did not know who or what, exactly, killed the princess, and deducing that is definitely an impossible task. But then the answer dawned upon him - it was not the monsters that killed her. She could have died to the boars, the cat-birds, the legs-in-a-pudding, but it would never had happened... without the challenge that the tree presents.

And so, he ran away from his home of sixteen years and got on a ship to Aeolis. (He was silently pleased at how dramatic it was to leave his pampered life just like the princess did.) Armed with a decorative sword he took off the palace walls and about three weeks' worth of fencing lessons (that he took before he got bored of it, as princes do), he's going to duel the killer of his lover to the death... the entire Yggdrasil Labyrinth.

Also, I actually edited the description for my Necromancer from "tens of thousands of Entals" to "hundreds of thousands of Entals". :v: It's not that big of a deal, but I thought there's no harm in telling it either.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Haha, I nearly didn't post the Fencer idea because the premise was pretty out there, but I'm glad you guys liked it. Woo! :toot: And the colors look alright to me.

Oh yeah, I think Nameless has a nice ring to it. For the party, I'll go with Necromancer, Dragoon, Cestus.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Hope you guys don't mind some uh, preliminary fanart. It's Inktober and I wanted to draw something.

Something something why did you go for the skimpy bunnygirl

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 17, 2016

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The weapon upgrade mechanic, from what I've gathered, strikes me as kinda strange and redundant, but I guess that's a topic for later after you've delved into the mechanics more.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

If a non-door or non-stair tile can't be walked over, I don't color it in.

:chloe:

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 19, 2016

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Clarste posted:

Redundant how? While there are a couple of mechanics that Ragnar hasn't gotten to yet, I don't think they'd change the discussion all that much.

Redundant isn't exactly the right word, I guess, but there is a part of the mechanic I find strange. I'm mostly referring to the unlocked weapon skills; they seem to be meant to give the classes some versatility, like healing skills on coffins or elemental attacks on knuckles or guns, but since they're locked to the weapons you'll have the discard them eventually as you unlock better weapons, after you spend all the resources to unlock them to begin with. Unless you're 4-sword Masurao, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to take advantage of the weapon skills all that much. So I thought the implementation is a bit weird there.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 19, 2016

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Ah, alright then, doesn't sound like it's as much a hassle as I thought. And I guess if I see the weapon skills as a nice extra option rather than part of a character build it doesn't bother me as much. I was just making assumptions of how it would play out, haha.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Alexis, Lanzon, Mio

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Magda's showing quite a bit of sass and I'm liking it. And Lanzon's like four characters in one now, that's not fair!

By the way, have a few more of these things:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Aw thanks. :) I wanted to do more of the characters for Inktober ('cos I really like EO5's portraits) but it's a busy period for me sadly.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I saw somewhere that Genetta's a Hound and I thought, "oh cool, the ditzy character turns out to be a badass in disguise". Boy was I wrong.

Mio using Sword BoysTM cards was inspired, by the way. :allears:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I swear I had no idea that quest exists when I came up with Alexis. That's an amusing coincidence. :v:

Kaelin since he hasn't had his time yet, then Raven and Cecil.

BlackPersona posted:

Golem is the cutest boss ever :3:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

So the Reaper's second spec is actually alright? Their tree seems like a janky mix of conditional damage and support skills so I didn't think they'd be that good.

Why are you down on Cesti's Arm Block, by the way?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Too bad Giving It Everything only applies to STR-based damage, Giving It Everything + Gates of Hell a la EO3 Charge + Meteor could have been hilarious.

Negative Energy is terrible but maybe it wouldn't be too bad in a 5 Necromancer run... which I'm seriously considering, since Necromancers seem like a lot of fun to me.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Iseria, Mio, Magda

Let's see what Chain Fencers can do in a boss fight.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

When I first heard the 3rd Stratum theme I definitely didn't expect it to be a creepy graveyard. I originally thought it was gonna something like Stratum 2, dry and full of canyons (but with an orange sky backdrop or something) since it's kinda got that Western flick feel to it.

Let's see... Adamantine, Combo, Death-bringing, Fire/Ice/Lightning, Spirit-destroyer, Falcon, Four Swords, Heaven's Love. In favor of On-Deck Shipper for Mio.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I don't mind it either, it's just one click away.

Would be neat if you have a small banner or something to link it, by the way, so it's not easily missed.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Does Genetta also speak in Anime Episode Titles in the original? Because that's great :allears:

How does Reflower work with Mist Slice, by the way? If the first hit inflicts Sleep, does that mean the second hit will immediately wake the enemy up?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeup.

Bleh, that sucks. At least it's not a pre-req for anything in that spec, I guess.

Clarste posted:

Not specifically. She's just kind of overly excited, makes up words, and misuses idioms. Punching up the dialog is Kinu's job here, in case that wasn't clear.

Ah okay. I'm really enjoying her dialog so far, it's perfect :allears:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm liking Remus a lot. Mission-giving NPCs are generally kinda boring and straightforward ("please kill X on the 10th floor, come back when you've reached the 15th) but Remus is showing a lot more character. Feels like you're learning more about him every time you talk to him.

Also those Ghosts are pretty cute when they shut their eyes like that.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Undead King looks rad. I didn't expect an colorful Egyptian themed boss from how the Stratum is like, but he still looks great. Mechanically interesting, too. I'm really liking how the boss encounters are designed in this game.

And, uh, Ragnar's choice x4.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:allears: :allears: :allears:

This is a delightful update.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Sasha, Iseria, Kaelin, Cecil

The dragon's giving me more Final Fantasy vibes, myself.

Also fun fact, re: lizardmen as party members, there was a scrapped dragon/lizardman playable race, called "Horun". Seems like they got collapsed into Therians, though.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

"Hell's Whinny" is the best skill name.

Resentment Miasma is kind of a tame gimmick for a final boss. Not tame as in easy, but as in not particularly interesting. Basically just "stall the fight for 3 turns".

I'll go with Sasha, Iseria, Kaelin, Mio, and Lanzon. Normal music.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The final boss theme is a nice change of pace from the usual EO fare. (and no this is not a dig at the Steam notification sounds :v:) Slow start aside, it's mostly atmosphere with no real climax, but I still like it.

And it's a bit premature but yeah, thanks for the great LP!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Jana, Cecil, Raven, Magda

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Well, Genetta being excessively carefree with the Labyrinth's monsters all this time makes sense now, what's with being an endgame-level Hound and all.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Oliphant: Jana, Iseria, Cecil, Gram
Dragon Zombie: Cecil, Raven, Mio, Dosen

Dragon Zombie looks like a pretty tricky boss. I've said this before, but I quite like the boss encounter design in EO5.

Also, finally got to sit down and do a write-up. Another LP, so soon? Well, keep on truckin' on.

Name: Brad
Class: Ronin
Portrait: 1 (blond hair)

"My name is Brad... Brad Ryuunosuke. I felt my calling to the katana six months ago, and I have been a disciple of the sword ever since. However, I... I bear a terrible curse. When I wield these holy blades, I can feel a hidden side of me bubbling uncontrollably to the surface! Yet I cannot rid myself of this curse, nay, must not, lest I render myself unable to combat the world's evils! I have three such personalities suppressed inside of me, each with their arsenal of mystical techniques, and the first personality is named..."

Brad, whose last name is definitely not Ryuunosuke, was a student at a small swordsmanship school, near Etria, in the mountains. Despite the inanity of his attack name-calling and alter ego-channeling, the school's master can't help but begrudgingly admit that he has... some modicum of talent. Almost as if his delusions and bravado are the source of his competence. And that's fine, he could deal with Brad's asinine behavior on his own, he's only got five students and Brad's the best at daily chores so he'll endure. But then, the other students started trying to copy him ironically, then copy him unironically, and that's when the master decided he had to act. He can't cringe that much every day.

So the master proclaimed Brad ready to graduate, and sent him off to fight evils or whatever, he didn't remember what he told Brad exactly but Brad ate it all up. And thus, Brad was released into the wild. Then one day, he heard rumours of foul monsters residing in this labyrinth inside a massive tree... and he knew exactly where he must go.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I kinda expected something more abstract from the descriptions "pudding with legs in high heels". Like something out of Gyo, but with puddings instead of rotting fish. What we have is uh, actually a little bit cute.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

EO2U 28F's teleporters have a pattern, actually, they always send you to the exact opposite end of the map. A teleporter on the top right corner will send you to bottom left corner, etc.

Anyway, voting for Cecil, Raven, and Magda

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I really, really like how Genetta turned out in the localization at the very least.

That winding pun with flying monsters and "time flies" bit killed me :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:toot: Finally it's done, huh?

I'll hold off watching the boss fight until I actually get there myself, but anyway, congrats for finishing another EO LP!

• Locked thread