Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Specifically, we have low submission counts (2) for three of the classes: Dragoon, Necromancer, and Masurao. That said, the highest count is only 4 anyway. The deadline for submissions will probably be the end of this weekend, as we'll likely be deciding on Sunday or Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I do not look forward to the painstaking process of guiding Ragnar to type a word in kanji.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The focus group did not respond well to writing a character who was entirely an extended weed joke.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

More Masurao and Herbalists please.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

Question, can hounds work as single healers in this game, or do you need a gnome Bronie Brownie class for that?

I used a Hound as my sole healer for the entire game. I don't think a sole Necromancer would work. Maybe with a Reaper as backup.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 16, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Junpei posted:

Warlock, Masurao, Fencer.

Sometimes I think that me trying to make interesting, likeable characters with flaws and goals is pointless because people will always choose the option that allows for more jokes to be made. Then I realize: Oh, wait! Everyone hates me!

I had qualms about responding to you at all, but perhaps it would be ruder not to.

A) Yes, most people hate it when you post. That's not specifically why your suggestions weren't chosen, but I'm glad you realize it. The next step would be to identify which parts of your behavior everyone hates.

B) Neither of your characters had any flaws whatsoever. I'm not sure you realize what it even means for a character to have flaws, which is that there is something wrong with their personality that creates friction with other characters or interferes with their goals. A character who merely encounters obstacles to overcome is not flawed. Both of your suggestions were utterly flawless Gary Stu types, with impeccable combat skills yet also smart and artistic and kind to everyone who counts. At least one of them is obviously a self-insert based on the way you've described yourself in the past.

C) Yes, you're right, we prioritized characters who could be funny and stand out. This is just an LP, not a novel, so we don't have time to go deeply into the characters' backstories or motivations since ultimately they're going to be participating in a story that has nothing to do with them (ie: climbing the tree). Not to mention we're starting with 10 characters and adding even more later, so the absolute deathblow to characterization would be someone who doesn't have an immediately distinctive personality or quirk. Specifically one that will show up in party banter. Someone whose personality is defined primarily as "polite" or "friendly" is going to fade into the background no matter how many pages of backstory they have. We chose the other arrogant, hyper-intelligent Warlock precisely because he would not be incredibly boring when talking to his teammates.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 16, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Junpei posted:

I have a question about Fencer's evasion-tanking. Do they do it more EO2U Protector style (I'm going to increase everyone's evasion for this turn), or is it more Beast-style (I'm going to make the enemy attack me and I'll dodge it)?

Both. They have skills that buff line/party evasion, as well as skills that taunt and increase their own evasion.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's something equivalent to Warrior's Might from EO3 that can be absurd with the proper party set-up. That's the only one I've heard of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rangpur posted:

'Leg' in most EO games also stands for 'lower body,' so if the enemy model has a giant tail, leg binds are usually the way to nullify it. Not sure how applicable that is in EOV but the ability to make educated guesses about which binds will be most effective is something I've always appreciated in the series.

Incidentally, does Panic still negate evasion in this one or did they nerf that?

It also prevents charging or ramming type attacks, so it's generally effective against rhinos and boars and whatnot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm getting the sense from your description that, while ailments work against enemies, they're still closer to Final Fantasy utility levels (almost invariably less useful than simply hitting them) than MegaTen levels (a vital part of random encounters, much less bosses). Is that fair? Seems like binds are where it's at in the debuff department.

Poison is a pretty good source of damage, and pretty much anything other than curse will usually cripple an enemy in some way. You should use ailments in random battles constantly. Most of them are attached to damage moves anyway.

Blind is also a good combo with a dodge-Fencer because it negates the inherent risk of being a dodge tank, and instant death is a cheap and reliable way of dealing with certain random encounters (and one FOE is actually weak against death).

Also I would literally not have been able to beat the final boss without Sleep.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 18, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Can we also vote on pet names now? That would make sense to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Where do you name the dog and bird by the way? Since it doesn't look like it has a name yet?

You name them from the Guild management menu, the same place where you rest and retire people. For pets, it's the only option available. For the record, you can also rename anyone in the guild at any time (or change their portraits/voices).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 18, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dark Flame Master posted:

Do you also get to rename whatever the necromancer summons, or is it just the bird and the dog?

No, because each of them is unique and then dies forever when you sacrifice it. They're listed as Ghost A, Ghost B, etc.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 18, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It'd be okay, but not really ideal. The Earthrun classes either focus on disables and want high LUC (Cestus and Reaper) or are tanks and want high VIT (Dragoon and Fencer). Therians have the 2nd lowest in both of those stats. Likewise, the Therian classes generally want more STR or AGI and not much else, so being an Earthrun wouldn't improve them at all. I guess a purely damage focused Therian Fencer or Dragoon might work though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 19, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Does AGI influence action speed or the chance to dodge in strategically significant way? If so, seems like they might make decent dodge tank Fencers.

We don't know the dodge formula, but traditionally LUC has been just as important, so it'd be a wash. AGI does affect action speed, but I'm not sure why that'd matter for a Fencer, dodge tank or otherwise. All the skills that need to go first in a turn get speed modifiers.

And, well, even if you're a dodge fencer you're gonna get hit sometimes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

The weapon upgrade mechanic, from what I've gathered, strikes me as kinda strange and redundant, but I guess that's a topic for later after you've delved into the mechanics more.

Redundant how? While there are a couple of mechanics that Ragnar hasn't gotten to yet, I don't think they'd change the discussion all that much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Redundant isn't exactly the right word, I guess, but there is a part of the mechanic I find strange. I'm mostly referring to the unlocked weapon skills; they seem to be meant to give the classes some versatility, like healing skills on coffins or elemental attacks on knuckles or guns, but since they're locked to the weapons you'll have the discard them eventually as you unlock better weapons, after you spend all the resources to unlock them to begin with. Unless you're 4-sword Masurao, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to take advantage of the weapon skills all that much. So I thought the implementation is a bit weird there.

Well, first of all you should always be getting +5 on any weapon you ever use, ever. There's very little reason not to. It's not a matter of making a calculated decision to invest more in a particular weapon, it's just an additional weapon tax that you'll always have to pay. Which has its own "redundancies", but at least you have to choose between collecting more monster drops or just using up relatively rare Ingots. As for weapon skills, it feels kind of bad having to replace a weapon with a good skill, but a good enough skill can frankly be worth keeping a weaker weapon around. That's actually a choice you will have to make sometimes. I also never really felt like they were making my characters more versatile either: in practice they don't feel at all like cross-class abilities or Grimoires. They're just additional skills that certain classes have access to at certain points in the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not chickens, Labyrinth Chickens. Along with Labyrinth Fish, Labyrinth Berries, Labyrinth Wheat, etc etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

When I first played the game, I somehow failed to notice that the statues are always directly facing the walls that they make disappear. I just checked every wall after every statue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

You guys I'm pretty sure it's "Growth Badge" not "Gross Badge"....

That makes sense. In my defense, I'm translating these things off a data table with no context, so there are a lot of things like that that I have to catch later, once they actually become relevant. And some things I don't catch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He was just being dumb. Should've learned Poison Bomb instead of Fire Bomb on the Necromancer, which would complement the Poison Smoke nicely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Junpei posted:

Well, I was thinking. Yes, that is a nice compliment. But how do Poison/Fire Bomb compare to each other damage and SP cost wise? Does that change anything? Just checking.

To compliment is to praise. To complement is to work well together. It's pedantic, but I did this to Ragnar too so it's only fair.

Fire Bomb is about the same power as a tier 2 Warlock (which we won't have for a while), but costing a ghost just makes it super slow. Poison Bomb costs about the same, iirc, but is naturally way better in longer battles because the poison keeps ticking. It usually kills things in 1-3 ticks, depending how big the enemy is and how many levels of Poison Bomb you have. Frankly I just went straight for rank 5 as soon as I could, because all my Necro was doing in random battles was casting a mega-Poison and then defending.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 7, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, Genetta is fun to write because she has a lot of sudden changes in tone and constantly misuses proverbs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Also, note that ignoring the Mini-Golems and just going for the Golem Body is very much not an option, since it's incredibly hard to just eat an Explosion every 4 turns.

That is 100% exactly what I did.

Item Getter posted:

Somehow I never saw due to low resolution that when we are looking at the Golem from the front we are staring at like four golem butts

Yes. That's not nearly as apparent in-game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 22, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

I swear I had no idea that quest exists when I came up with Alexis. That's an amusing coincidence. :v:

Don't worry, we forgot about it when we chose him too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No one posts in threads without votes, you know. It's the law of the jungle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Annointed posted:

Is Etrian Odyssey seriously trying to goad newbies into thinking the game isn't that hard, if at all by making the first boss derp out? I've played through 1-3 and not once did I see a boss waste his time like that.

The boss is actually hard, that was just a weird lucky streak or I don't know.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sharp Thrust is by far the best skill to spam as a dodge tank, imo, at least in any situation where you can expect to get hit more than twice. I don't know the exact hit formula, but it's fairly clear to me that most of Predict's evasion bonus is overkill, and if you get unlucky you just die immediately from the defense penalty. By contrast, Unburdened(3) + Sharp Thrust is a reliable +800 (which is about as much as Predict, in practice) that never decreases no matter how many hits you take. You will dodge practically everything at very little risk, while also getting some damage out for basically no extra TP cost compared to Predict. A lot of late-game bosses use multi-hit moves that make Predict worthless, and obviously 3 dodges isn't really enough for random battles either.

Spam Sharp Thrust. Dodge a 12 hit super move from a boss. Love it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 28, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The logic is that if you have to spend TP on something, it should be a better use of your turn than something that's free. Full stop. And I don't really think that's weird either: normal attacks are strictly worse, but they're also free so you use them when there's no urgency. But if you set the game on hard that situation simply isn't going to happen as often.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...For what it's worth, you can change specializations by Resting. You're not locked into them permanently or anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They're practically different classes, and each require entirely different party set-ups. It's not really a matter of preference so much as what kind of team you're building.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

One thing to note about about Counter Guard: it only works when the damage reduction activates, which means the target has to take damage for you to counter. Doesn't play well with a Fencer. If anyone was thinking that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Earthruns, like humans in a lot of other games with race systems, are a middle-of-the-road, phys-oriented race. Highest HP, decent STR, highest VIT, and, strangely enough, highest LUC.

I'm really not sure what's supposed to be average about these guys when they have 3 of the highest stats (not just you, it says that in-game too). I mean, that's more than the other 3 races, implying that they're actually more specialized as tanks and disablers. Which matches their class options: 2 tanks and 2 disablers.

quote:

[*]Level 5: Spirit Bond. Requires 3 people. For one turn, when any party members deal cut/stab/bash damage, they have a chance of inflicting a random ailment on their target. Base chance is unknown.
[*]Level 10: Attack Heal. Requires 3 people. For one turn, when the initiator deals damage, all party members recover 30% of their max HP.

Spirit Bond does a random bind, not an ailment. Sorry, that was an early mistranslation on my part, before I got used to the terminology used by the game. It's supposed to complement Curse Magic, I suppose.

That description of Attack Heal is... completely wrong; not sure if that's my fault or not. What it does it make all participants (or maybe just everyone?) heal the party for 30% of the damage they deal. Which makes it pretty much a full party heal-to-full, multiple times probably, as long as you're attacking on that turn. 30% max HP would be ridiculously bad for a 3 person Union. Frankly I don't think it's that good anyway, but it's not that bad.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 5, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fate.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Geomancing posted:

You have defeated the guardian and shattered the glamour that has has stopped anyone from reaching further into the Labyrinth for hundreds of years. In the time it took you to return to town and report your success, guards, adventurers and wanderers have fully explored every floor up to the next boss, and have a litany of requests, advice, and favors to ask of you.

Maybe this wasn't quite clear, but the barrier wasn't stopping people from getting to the next stratum, it was just making it harder and a bunch of weaker explorers were getting lost and dying. There are still people who are much higher up than you by this point. We just got out of the newbie zone.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The problem with Shroud of Reality is that it removes the Miasma Weapon effect, which is pretty much mandatory for that class. For example, using it would remove the buff from Black Blade (before the hit occurs!). Yeah, you could use it on the last turn of Miasma Weapon, or... you could spend that turn refreshing the effect instead. Using it just has a huge cost that outweighs any possible benefit of avoiding damage. If the attack was going to kill your Reaper, you were probably going to lose your entire party anyway because Reapers aren't exactly squishy. Earthrun having the most hit points of any race, etc etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The spiked trunk is a nice touch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Level Seven posted:

How the hell did that monster get so many spiked collars for its tusks. WHY would it want that many spiked collars. That is one hell of a roadblock.

Remus implied that this might be one of those ones used as a war animal long ago, so it's wearing whatever its former masters chose to put on it. Remember that this tree was the site of a great war hundreds of years ago: they don't mention it every floor or anything, but that informs a lot of the plot. The Oliphant is a relic of that war, just as the Golem was a reaction to it.

I guess that also implies that it's super old, but that doesn't seem too out of place for a large animal like that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 20, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can't believe Ragnar chose the option to say he was interested in bugs. Also this thing needs to get to the next page ASAP.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Haughty Hermit summon parrots at 2/3 HP and Cicadas at 1/3 HP every time, but not sure enough to chime in about in in the LP itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

We've reached a breakthrough on Carrots! Apparently that's a Japanese term for a pendant containing the ashes (or hair or other body part) of a dead person. You know, like, in memory of them. It's also called a Memorial or Ash Pendant. The term "Carrot" is actually the registered trademark of a certain jewelry company, but they were popular enough that the word became the de facto term for these things in Japan, like Kleenex or Xerox.

So basically it's a portable (and stylish!) urn for someone's ashes.

• Locked thread