Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Another vote for Nameless, and initial party vote for Cestus, Dragoon and Necromancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Which classes are still low on characters?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Rangpur posted:

Well you could still take polls on each ghost's tragic and completely irrelevant backstory. :v:

Just a note: imagine all this with the approximate emotional tone of Telenovela.

The ruined heiress Alicia Rosette was deeply in love with Barnaby, the "gentleman" thief, and abandoned her family and legacy to be with him, but Barnaby only wanted to use Alicia for her family's inheritance and -- once it became clear that she was no longer the favored candidate for family head -- abandoned her for greener pastures and more fortunate ventures. Twisted with rage, Alicia contacted the sage Charlotte to learn the art of necromancy and obtain her revenge on Barnaby. The sage complied, but conditional on Alicia binding Barnaby's ghost to the bones of his hands and feet, and bringing them to her -- for a ghost made with such a grudge would become a powerful resource. Alicia agreed, and abandoned her family name and all but one letter of her first to the darkness, receiving further mastery of the necromantic arts; from then on, she was only known by her shadow name, "A."

"A" hunted down her former lover; flush with wealth and drunk on his success in infiltrating the (then closed-off) Yggdrasil Labyrinth for rare, illegal medicinal herbs, Barnaby was known as the mysterious thief Monsieur "B" to the people of Aeolis. In the process of fighting his way through the Labyrinth, in order to combat the monsters, Monsieur "B" embedded vials of poison into the bones of his hands and wrists, allowing him to kill with a mere touch. Confronted by "A," Monsieur "B" was chased, dismembered and killed by "A"'s phantasmal army, but -- in the last moments of his life -- managed to flick his embedded syringe out from his finger. Taking it in her triumph, to bind his ghost, "A" pricked herself, and received a slow, incurable dose of a rare and lethal Brownie poison.

Knowing her time was short, "A" took the bones of "B" to the sage Charlotte to fulfill her deal, in the hopes of receiving aid in waging war on the family that had rejected her. On arrival, however, her bound ghosts heard that Charlotte was a servant of her family, deployed in secret to ensure "B"'s death and trick "A" into returning gratefully to the Rosette family. Filled with rage and drunk on the death in her veins, "A" set her ghosts on Charlotte, detonating them, down to the essentia level, all at once, inside the sage's meager hut. As they both lay dying, "A" took her revenge on "B" and Charlotte: she ripped away Charlotte's name, to eternally prove her power over life of death, and bound all three of them together. Locked together, "A," B" and "C," necromantically entangled, forgetting themselves and their lives, remained in the ramshackle remains of the sage's hut for thousands of years, all bound to their bony fingers -- locked together forever.

Then a popular dancer found the pared-down bone bits, mistook them for dancer's bangles and hooked them to his waist. He was not entirely thrilled to learn that there were ghosts living inside them.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Alexis, Lanzon, Mio

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Combo Boxer Cestus, named Killharmonic

Four Swords Masurao, named Death Defier

...that's all I got.

E: Alternatively, Cestus named The Warchestra.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Lanzon (Destroying), Kaelin (Ruler), Alexis

And may I just say that I'm pretty jazzed about how you chose to use my ghost backstories/personalities, because it wouldn't be nearly as funny if B didn't know that repeatedly exploding and re-coalescing was his entire afterlife's purpose.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Spirit-Destroying Lanzon, Heaven's Love Mio, Death-Warding Raven, Gunpowder Dragoon Sasha

Normal

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Name: Metis
Class: Medic (Portrait 4)

Medicine tastes bad. If medicine tasted better, kids and adults alike might take it more readily. This was the heart of Metis's business philosophy when she set out with a wagon and a dream -- to earn enough money to prove to the medical establishment that her tonics work, both physically and psychologically, to improve overall wellbeing. It was a very logical plan, because Metis considers herself a rational, forward-thinking experimental pioneer. Much like her sister, a respected (albeit very short) medic with ages of experience under her belt -- but Metis was going to surpass even her!

Unfortunately, she ran into a snag: people think medicine that isn't bitter and gross isn't effective. Also, "rational, forward-thinking experimental pioneer" turned out to resemble "grifter trying to sell you sugar water with miscellaneous herbs in it" way more than she anticipated. That and her advertising campaign ("DELICIOUS MEDICAL ELIXIRS -- GUARANTEED PERFECTLY SAFE") quickly drove her to bankruptcy, whereupon she took a desk job as a secretary, doomed to obscurity as the world's only snake oil saleswoman whose snake oil actually [i]would[/i[ cure what ails you.

The Labyrinth is Metis's chance to reinvent herself -- to shed her reputation as a washed-up con artist and get into legitimate academia. All she has to do is prove her medicine actually works to preserve the lives of people in the world's riskiest profession. While not dying.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Would it be alright to write a second submission / replace a submission within the same class? I've got some ideas vis-a-vis medics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Name: Lecto
Class: Medic, portrait 4, with a dark grey lab coat

Description:
Lecto is not -- as it happens -- a particularly good medic. Now, as a con artist, she's a genius, renowned for her wide range of gigs and overall range -- think Etrian Billy Mays, more or less -- and her stint with the Telemachus Company propelled it into the upper echelons of world commerce, selling heart meds and dubious placebos to an innocent public. Unfortunately, a loophole in her contract -- a particularly fiendish use of codicils and stipulations hidden in plain sight that never would've caught an honest woman -- meant she ultimately got paid much less than she needed, and ended up with nothing but a chemical lab and a bunch of secondhand medication acquired from a criminal medic leaving Etria in a hurry. So, she figured, all she had to do was reinvent herself in the same basic niche, as a snake oil salesman and general charlatan, and work her way back up to fame and fortune.

The problem? The medic was "phony" in the sense that they sold illegal drugs, but the stock Lecto got is all perfectly good material, albeit badly labeled (and thus difficult to identify and replicate). For the first time in her life, she's selling a product with actual use to human beings and empirically verifiable positive effects, and she's terrible at it. Turns out she's not so skilled at being convincing when it's not all lies, and it's hard to use the placebo effect, cold reading, etc. to persuade someone of the effectiveness of your sleep aid when it's a) not sugar water and b) actually mislabeled rhino tranquilizer. Seeking to get paid and get out, she's agreed to a contract as doctor-on-call with an explorers' guild in the hopes of unloading this stock somewhere.

Lecto is a cheerful, gregarious fast-talker right up until she's convinced she doesn't need to be (i.e. out of sight of potential customers), whereupon her actual personality -- roughly "beleaguered telemarketer off the clock" -- asserts itself. She likes loud music, alcohol and caffeine pills. She probably shouldn't be allowed to be a doctor, or within twenty-five feet of one, but such is adventure.

• Locked thread