Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

So weird seeing him play safety but it's pretty awesome how well he's picking things up. Almost a reverse Los.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Not gonna lie, that was probably one of the best bowl games I've ever seen.

Also 'Bama had an amazing int in that game.

Bama looked great. George Teague (I think that was who did it) chasing down the Miami receiver to strip the ball was one for the ages. Outside of his unprepared team against Louisville at the end of his first year, Gene Stallings was always really drat good about bowl prep. His Bama team would have had a better chance against Nebraska than Spurrier's Gators. Just couldn't quite get it done in the SEC CG that year.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 18, 2016

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Emron Lane

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Can we please reopen the conference realignment thread, as conference realignment is never over?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

Can we please reopen the conference realignment thread, as conference realignment is never over?

At least not until, Allah be willing, we get four superconferences

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

Please post whatever you were going to say in this thread instead and then MV can decide if it is worth reopening thanks to the new information.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Please post whatever you were going to say in this thread instead and then MV can decide if it is worth reopening thanks to the new information.

It's not, but somebody might.

I mean the thread was closed like the second the announcement was made, could we have like a week to digest it and examine the ramifications?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 18, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

JesustheDarkLord posted:

SadBearcat.jpg

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

General Dog posted:

It's not, but somebody might.

I mean the thread was closed like the second the announcement was made, could we have like a week to digest it and examine the ramifications?

Yeah, it was swift so it closed before there could be any discussion about it and opening it back up would be cool.

Thoguh posted:

Because the conference expansion thread got closed before the lack of expansion could be discussed, I found a picture of every Cincy fan.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Kahlil McKenzie and Jalen Reeves-Maybin officially out for the year. What a hosed season.

https://twitter.com/espnmcgee/status/788406487211180032

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nate fisher posted:

Kahlil McKenzie and Jalen Reeves-Maybin officially out for the year. What a hosed season.

https://twitter.com/espnmcgee/status/788406487211180032

The Ghosts of Arian Foster's Tacos are doing the lord's work.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

Can we agree that this seems kind of inappropriate? Yesterday's NYT story on Tom Herman's kisses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/sports/ncaafootball/houston-cougars-tom-herman-kiss-macho-culture.html

It seemed a little odd but pretty innocuous, but I imagined it as a quick peck with some words of encouragement. That line about how the longer kiss means more approval, and a kiss over 5 seconds means you're his "dude" skeeves me out. I was not imagining a lingering kiss like that. An adult coach should probably not be planting long, tender kisses on student athletes directly under their authority. Can you imagine if a male coach was doing this with female athletes under his direct authority? Imagine if, as a corporate team building thing, your boss started lining everyone up and giving them long kisses. The longer the kiss, the better your performance! More than 5 seconds and you're in the running for employee of the month! Don't worry, eventually you'll get used to it and maybe even look forward to it a little bit!

I wrote a really long response to this but I deleted it. Long story short, Hawaii is different and better. Hug your friends all the time? Cool. Kiss on the cheek? Common as gently caress greeting/goodbye. Really proud of someone for an accomplishment? Kiss 'em on the cheek. Nobody cares. Nobody gives a poo poo. Its extremely normal. I don't know why men on the mainland are so terrified of being viewed as gay that they shun physical intimacy but w/e. I think its a recent thing with the past couple generations. Old dudes give zero fucks

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I wrote a really long response to this but I deleted it. Long story short, Hawaii is different and better. Hug your friends all the time? Cool. Kiss on the cheek? Common as gently caress greeting/goodbye. Really proud of someone for an accomplishment? Kiss 'em on the cheek. Nobody cares. Nobody gives a poo poo. Its extremely normal. I don't know why men on the mainland are so terrified of being viewed as gay that they shun physical intimacy but w/e. I think its a recent thing with the past couple generations. Old dudes give zero fucks

Nah, you only see old guys doing it now that they've gotten old and have realized "aw gently caress, I better hang on to every piece of happiness and human contact I can get".

They were just as homophobic in their youth, and obviously usually quite a bit more.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I appreciate that Tennessee was just good enough for their fans to have hope before it came crashing down in spectacular fashion.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't see how anyone thought they would beat bama after all those injuries and barely beating Georgia.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Kirios posted:

I appreciate that Tennessee was just good enough for their fans to have hope before it came crashing down in spectacular fashion.

This is every year.

I'm just glad that were finally starting the annual second half of the A&M season where they collapse hilariously.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.santikos.com/houston/palladium-avx-west-houston/texas-am-watch-party-10-22

Local IMAX theater to show snuff film.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

nate fisher posted:

You forgot to mention that Kamara is out for a while, too.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

So on my Facebook "On This Day" feature for today...

woah

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Quandary posted:

This is every year.

I'm just glad that were finally starting the annual second half of the A&M season where they collapse hilariously.

Naw, this year they beat Florida who has traditionally been the 1st or 2nd conference opponent, so they had that "this is our year!" mojo before it got dashed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa is gonna be going against Wisconsin down at least one starting tackle, possibly both, and without TE George Kittle who is by far their best pass catcher and one of their best blockers

This is great. Things are great. Great great great great great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PostNouveau posted:

Some saint uploaded the Texas game to youtube, so I finally got to see it.

Kind of a joyless affair. We looked like garbage for the first half. The Longhorn Network commentators keep saying it's a huge step forward for the defense because Iowa State is a hot offense, but I have a hard time believing it.

I am so nervous for the K-State game.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I am so nervous for the K-State game.

You should be nervous Texas wins just enough to not hire Tom Herman before LSU does.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lasagna Pilot posted:

You should be nervous Texas wins just enough to not hire Tom Herman before LSU does.

How's many wins do you think Texas realistically has left?
It'd be hilarious if Notre Dame, USC, or Penn State grabbed Herman.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

MourningView posted:

Iowa is gonna be going against Wisconsin down at least one starting tackle, possibly both, and without TE George Kittle who is by far their best pass catcher and one of their best blockers

This is great. Things are great. Great great great great great.

we are gonna get loving bodied Go Hawks Baby, Hawks flyin south to Shreveport for the winter!!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

FWIW, Brian Kelly signed a 6 year extension last year and they don't stop paying the Weis buyout until the end of this year. He's likely not going anywhere.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

B.F. Hoodrich posted:

we are gonna get loving bodied Go Hawks Baby, Hawks flyin south to Shreveport for the winter!!!

Probs like Nashville which is actually kinda fun! Or at least better than Tampa for the 75th time.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I figure Kelly gets at least one or two more seasons, depending on how Brian VanGorder's actual long term replacement works out. Hudson seems to a temporary placeholder, so I think Kelly gets the benefit of the doubt in trying to right the defensive side of the ball.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

DJExile posted:

FWIW, Brian Kelly signed a 6 year extension last year and they don't stop paying the Weis buyout until the end of this year. He's likely not going anywhere.

They had 10 wins and played in the Fiesta Bowl last season. They would be insane to fire Kelly. We'd all like either Saban or Meyer coaching our teams, but it isn't going to happen in South Bend or anywhere else for that matter.

Duckaerobics posted:

I really don't see how anyone thought they would beat bama after all those injuries and barely beating Georgia.

I'm sure people were holding out hope, but I doubt many thought it would actually happen.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

KKKLIP ART posted:

I figure Kelly gets at least one or two more seasons, depending on how Brian VanGorder's actual long term replacement works out. Hudson seems to a temporary placeholder, so I think Kelly gets the benefit of the doubt in trying to right the defensive side of the ball.

I just like to point out all the time that Hudson was fired from PURDUE last year after being one the worst DC's in the conference for 3 years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have it on very good authority that Notre Dame is actually Urban Meyer's Dream Job

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

I have it on very good authority that Notre Dame is actually Urban Meyers Dream Job

I can't tell how serious you are about that. I thought he had passed on it to go to Florida.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Uh, please check your facts he is literally named after a Pope

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Uh, please check your facts he is literally named after a Pope

gently caress. Check and mate.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's funny to laugh now but there's zero doubt in my mind what ND would have done with Urban at the helm and boy would this thread be filled with even more venom towards ND.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacebump posted:

How's many wins do you think Texas realistically has left?

They're probably not firing Franklin until next season

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

They had 10 wins and played in the Fiesta Bowl last season. They would be insane to fire Kelly. We'd all like either Saban or Meyer coaching our teams, but it isn't going to happen in South Bend or anywhere else for that matter.

That's all true but on the other hand Notre Dame has had a pretty epic collapse this year for no great reason. Plus Brian Kelly seems like he's another 3 losses away from a full on meltdown

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah this seems like a healthy conference

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17827297/big-12-reaches-united-decision-decline-expansion-earlier-divide

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

My main takeaway from that is they specifically told Boren to stop being a dumbass. Decisions being announced as "united" when they weren't really is pretty standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thoguh posted:

My main takeaway from that is they specifically told Boren to stop being a dumbass. Decisions being announced as "united" when they weren't really is pretty standard.

quote:

Revenue alone does not win championships.

That's kind of a self own.

e: ha that was on the DO list.

On the Don't

quote:

Say revenue determines strength.

quote:

Discuss 2024-25 as a grant of rights issues.

Seriously Iowa State and Kansas State at least are on death row here.

• Locked thread