Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the new deals CW signed are that they feature their episodes on their site but nowhere else and then Netflix will get the entire season a week after the finale.

Although I also remember reading that Hulu free service was going to replaced by Yahoo but I don't know what the gently caress Yahoo streaming is and I can't be bothered to check when I can just watch on CW's app that now chromecasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed the Drinking Song since its seems to suggest that Greg's songs are basically geared towards dudes who secretly love the Newsies.

Not that I'm one of those people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think she's slowly recognizing his flaws, or at least she clearly KNOWS he's not reciprocating this relationship and is just lying to herself about it. The key being she clearly knows she's lying to herself about it.

Josh and Rebecca won't last half the season, IMO. Josh is being too much of a dick and Rebecca's too conscious of it. I can't imagine Greg takes her back as he seems in a healthy enough place to realize that would be a mistake and be bothered by the Josh aspect of it all. So I'm hopefully we get Rebecca just being single for awhile and working on her poo poo.

In a certain way Crazy Ex-Girlfriend built itself a trap in the same way How I Met Your Mother did. We all like Rebecca enough that we kind of want her to stop hurting herself and others, but if she did get too healthy the show kind of loses its premise. That's a tough line to walk over time because eventually you get diminishing returns and people ask "when the gently caress is the mother going to show up?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think the right story arch would be for this season to be about Rebecca recognizing that she needs to work on herself and stop trying to fix everything with a guy and then S3 being about her actually finding a happy relationship with Greg once they've both set out on the right path towards healthy living.

Carla can be well on her way to being a lawyer, Josh can be growing up and maybe even re-united with a Valencia that has worked on herself after everything that happened. White Josh and Darryl live happily ever after. Hector and Heather meet and discover they're soulmates. This isn't a show that needs to go 5 seasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Greg may seem emotionally healthy right now, but Guardrail literally told him that this is mostly just the pink cloud phase and that he will be crushing down hard.
Well I should clarify that he's started down the healthy path rather than being genuinely healed. Obvious he has a lot of work to do before he's truly healthy. Which is why hooking up with Rebecca now would be a mistake but could be fine a season from now.

quote:

And when it comes to the comparison to HIMYM, I disagree. Ted was almost the worst part of this show, because he was always excruciating mediocre and personality free. He was the bland audience stand-in who kept sleeping with hot woman, while being whiny about it. The rest of the cast was just so good that I managed to forget Ted most of the time.
The main character of this show is quite different. Rebecca is actually thoroughly developed and even though she is weird, you can understand what's causing it. It's not easy to relate to her, but if you do, you really do. And I love this show, but frankly I don't think there will be a third season. So at least it will probably end on a strong note. For the consumer, two great seasons are probably better than a dozen terrible ones.

The main reason Ted was as bad as he was because his overly romantic "this is all leading me somewhere" stuff dragged on for way, way too long, IMO. He was always a little laughable, which was always clearly recognized by the show from the very first episode when he tells a girl he just met he loves her and everyone gives him poo poo for it. But that became less funny and more annoying as time went on and the string of hot ladies he was hooking up with became a lot more pointless and obnoxious since it was all stated time wasting by the show's inherent premise.

I don't think its about whether you like Rebecca or not. I think we all do. But we also all recognize that she does some really lovely things to the people around her and if she can't correct that then eventually that's going to wear on us and our opinions of her. Or, you know, most of us. There's always those "Walter White is the good guy" people.

But, I mean, we seem to agree that the premise basically has a 2-3 season shelf life. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with a story that has a clear beginning, middle, and end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mostly I hope they know when they're done because once they start down the end game I want to finish it properly. It would get annoying if they tried to tie it up for S2 and then got a miracle S3 and had to blow poo poo up again. And conversely when this is all over and I watch the last episode I'd like to leave it thinking Rebecca is headed in the right direction.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Greg is one of my favorite parts of the show but I agree with everything that was said in that article. Him returning to West Covina anytime soon would be a massive step backwards. Hes making smart and mature choices and getting out of his rut in WC was as much a big thing as getting distance from his dysfunctional relationship with Rebecca. And it's best for Rebecca because she needs to not be with a guy and picking up some friends going through their own changes in Heather and Valencia could be the best thing.

So yeah, I'll miss him but it's for the best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the shows got all kinds of fans. I consider the music the weakest part of the show most of the time so I'm not remotely bothered by 1 song and 1 dance number. Especially since I thought both were pretty funny and the song actually did the rare thing of making Josh more sympathetic.

I have no problem with Valencia's behavior either. She was properly suspect of Rebecca but went along with it because she's obviously unhappy and lonely. Rebecca's plot this week was just to bond with Valencia enough to bitch about Josh, with the twist being that Rebecca realized V was so much more hurt and wronged by Josh. Valencia broke up with the guy shes been with her entire life after he neglected her, was emotionally distant, dragging on the relationship, and basically cheated on her. She has a right to be depressed.

I think the most unique thing about the episode was that it was more of an ensemble show than driven by Rebecca. Paula, White Josh & Darryl, and most of Josh's stories happened entirely independent of Rebecca. As the show becomes less about Rebecca's romantic delusions it probably needs to be more of an ensemble, but some fans seemed to not love it right away.

Personally I'm fine with it because I like the cast of characters and have been finding Rebecca far less sympathetic this season. The "gut punch" episode was kind of a down one for me because I realized I kind of think Rebecca is the bad guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but it had started to have the affect where I was feeling less sympathy for her. The way they played her sadness parallel to Paula handling her own stuff in silence really left me spending that whole episode just not liking Rebecca enough to feel for her.

For me the show needs some time away from Rebecca's worse qualities and on her realizing how her actions and behavior have affected others. Which seems to be where they're going with it, so I'm good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think part of the problem is that in S1 they had this good thing where Rebecca was regularly against the crazy antics and Paula was pushing it. Paula was bringing out the worst in Rebecca even when Rebecca tried to be better, so as a result it made Rebecca more sympathetic and Paula a little less.

Then the show went through the effort of developing Paula and having her grow, which has been good and made me really like Paula. But it's meant every crazy action Rebecca has made has been driven by her. Greg's drying up and leaving probably factored in a bit too.

They seem like they're going to deal with Josh's issues which could help cover for some reduced crazy from Rebecca. Throw in Heather and Valencia and make Rebecca's struggles be with her female relationships and the mess shes made of her friendship with Paula. It will be a different show theme but the show could use that to avoid wearing out its welcome.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. That relationship really hasn't gotten enough time for me to feel much about it. Its partially that White Josh is such a flimsy character who until very recently seemed to only be there as a one note joke (sorry you're alone now, Hector). Its also partially that its Darryl's first gay relationship and first relationship after his divorce so it kind of seems like it screams "rebound." They'll have to do some more work like this past episode to invest me into this couple.

As said, they started to do some good work on that this episode. Showing that White Josh was insecure enough to worry about why he hadn't met Darryl's daughter was good as well as him seemingly (arguably) having some of the same concerns I have about it being Darryl's first male relationship and how serious that makes it.

I almost feel like the "WiJo" thing they seem to be forcing is kind of a signal that he's a real character now and not just a joke played off the "real" Josh. If they could do it over I bet they would have skipped that joke and given him another name.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 22, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess its just a product of him appearing more instead of just being a side joke character like Hector or Mrs. Hernandez.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The recurring gag of Valencia turning to Heather to find out if she's being a girl-friend right was my favorite thing of that episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its impossible to know but I genuinely think I would have been getting sick of this show by now if it hadn't changed things up like it had. Rebecca getting girlfriends and shifting her main drama to Paula has given the show a nice shakeup that kept it from getting to that point where I just sort of lose interest if it had still been a love triangle with Josh and Greg.

And yeah, I love the return of Trent being the living embodiment of how Rebecca's behavior would play if she wasn't a cute lady.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I liked Greg and was sad to see him go. But I can't imagine how they could have kept the status quo going with Josh and him without getting really stale and/or making Rebecca really unlikable. The way they changed it up its almost like there are new characters to get to know and new relationships and its put Rebecca back in a fairly sympathetic position.

Its hard for a show to change up their core that much and not miss much of a beat but I think this one pulled it off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Introducing Nathaniel and the hostile takeover makes sense in so far as they don't have a villain or main adversary for Rebecca. Valencia is a friend now and unless they make her jealous of Rebecca being back with Josh, which would be a mistake since she's better having gotten over him and realizing he was a lovely boyfriend. Greg's gone so the love triangle is busted there. Josh is no longer harboring ill will. They stretched the Paula thing out as long as they could before Rebecca redeems herself. So giving her a professional adversary and introducing the idea of Rebecca going back to her evil lawyer ways works. And they seemed to be possibly setting up Nathaniel as a new romantic foil for Josh as they're basically polar opposites.

Nathaniel was set up hard as the villain with the hostile takeover and the petty firing of George. But it definitely seemed like they were setting up his dad as the true villain and him possibly reforming as things go on. I see the possibility of Nathaniel making Rebecca more like her NY lawyer self and tempting her with an intellectual/professional equal while she influences him to turn away from his father's ruthless methods and do the Hallmark movie face turn for love.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought those two episodes were a bit abrupt -- I wonder if it's something the CW mandated, or if they just decided the current plot lines weren't working. Either way, it'd probably have helped to extend the Brittany Snow arc an episode or two further; her reasons for dumping Josh weren't really clear (and, like, the show's usually more generous to its characters than that).

I thought it was pretty clear and reasonably well set up. Josh is a giant man baby. Anna has a successful business and knows celebrities. There were a lot of little moments where she'd take something Josh said as a joke or do a little double take. Then there were a bunch of little "this is a decent little club for the suburbs" comments. She's "sophisticated" (at least for West Covina) and seeing Josh as the "mall model" made it all click for her. It wasn't cool how she broke up with him but you know, Josh is an idiot and that was never going to work once she realized that.

Like, Anna's not a terrible person for not wanting to be with Josh. He is who he is. She just was obviously fooling herself about him and when the veil fell in spectacular fashion she reacted badly.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 8, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It makes sense to me. It's the only of CWs recent shows that has any buzz. If you're not into the hero stuff that's like a third of their lineup. No one seems to give a poo poo about shows like No Tomorrow or Frequency. At least there seems to be this steady buzz about Crazy Ex Girlfriend where people are asking about it. Then you throw in actual tangible things like awards and Netflix ratings. Seems worth it for a network that isngoing to renew Supernatural until it's stars retire and it's big new show is a dark and sexy Archie murder mystery.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Umm, are you asking how the circle of friends that included Greg tolerated someone making snarky, judgmental comments?

I like him and he's clearly just the grown up of the group and they're the sort of friends who rip on each other. He's basically the straight man (no pun intended) of the group so I enjoy the once or twice an episode he makes a crack about how nuts they all are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the main reason Josh and Greg never had any real comraderie was that the love triangle was so front and center from the start. Everything they did was basically about Rebecca so they were rivals in some way or another. It's like they failed a reverse Bechdel test.

Honestly, none of the guys have had much time to just be friends. That's probably why someone might not like White Josh since most of his role before Darryl has been to note how insane Rebecca is and be confused about Josh and Greg's infatuations.

And yeah, I found Valencia's a sense as the most unfortunate part of the past two episodes. They had done so much work to integrate her into Rebecca's social circle and then she conveniently disappears when they put Rebecca and Josh back together. Hopefully they're just holding her back so she can discover it after its begun but her absence was noticed.

But yeah, I'm going to give it time before any reservations get the best of me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I already made this argument but I didn't have a problem with the Anna stuff. The whole subtext of their relationship was that she was "too good" for Josh and just seemed to be blind to it because she was attracted to him. That absurd mall model thing just opened her eyes and embarrassed her. It was kind of a douchey thing to just walk out like that but there's no real nice way to say "you're a giant man child and I'm embarrassed that I didn't see that and was attracted to you." It was sudden but I think we're kind of deluding ourselves by saying CXG doesn't work like that sometimes.

Sunil's absence felt a little more "unexplained" but I felt the same way about Valencia and they dealt with that neatly enough. I'm willing to assume that Paula still hangs with him before and after class but now that poo poo's gotten crazy at home and work and she's reconnected with Rebecca she just doesn't have the time to hang with him. But they could tie it up neatly with a scene at school.

Trent coming and going is the one that bothers me. You'd think that after sleeping with Rebecca he'd be more obsessed and ever present. That seems like a character that the show just wants around as a joke and it makes me a little sad since he was fun.

But also, a lot of this is that these are just the characters who aren't connected to the center of Rebecca's social circle. Like, Darryl never disappears because Rebecca works for him. If Darryl and White Josh broke up WJ probably wouldn't disappear because he's friends with Josh. When you cut the connection Anna, Sunil, or Trent have they can disappear more easily because its the only one they have. That's kind of why I was ok with the "I needed a few days" excuse for Valencia disappearing because her ties have been cut with pretty much everyone but Rebecca so if she didn't want to be around Rebecca because of Josh she kind of does naturally disappear.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 16, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Paula not being a very attentive/good mom has been the joke all along.

Its why I think the stuff about Anna coming off bad and it being unlike the show are odd. Like... everyone comes off bad on this show if you think about it. Except maybe White Josh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't call it a "change" either. In fact I'm a little disappointed that it isn't a change since I was enjoying the change it took with the attention moving away from Josh/Greg and to Paula, Heather/Valencia, and Trent. In the last few episodes they've basically put the Rebecca/Paula relationship back to where it was, pushed Valencia and Heather away, Trent is gone, and Nathaniel is just taking Greg's place. I'm not hating it but I was hoping that the show had figured out a way to continue Rebecca's story without keeping it all about Josh and a love triangle.

But I'm not going to trash it or hit the panic button or anything. I'm still enjoying the episodes and am plenty willing to see where they go with the wedding and Nathaniel. Ideally the season ends with Rebecca finally owning the epiphany she was having two weeks ago that her problems are about her and Josh is just a placebo. I think the show's dragging out that initial problem with no progress a bit too long (and the fakeout with the girl group and epiphany probably teased the audience too much), but the season's only got 2 more episodes so I'm fine to give them till then.

I'll say this, having the wiiiiiinds as a kind of Frankie Valli falsetto onomatopoeia was kind of inspired and made the episode for me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 25, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean that was clearly the musical style he was aping so it doesn't shock me that he did Jersey Boys. Hell, he had the wardrobe.

But it was just a brilliant little move because that high pitched falsetto so perfectly fit the "wind" sound when they spelled it out. Its that kind of really clever touch that makes me really enjoy Crazy Ex Girlfriend's musical aspects even though I usually hate TV musicals. They're not trying to make itunes download songs, they're actually putting thought into the jokes and purposes of the songs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That got real dark at the end there what with the arson, mental institution, and implied suicide dive off the cliff.

When she told off her dad and said "no" to Paula about getting revenge on Josh I had a brief moment of "oh, she had finally made a step forward" only for her to go all super villain. Should be interesting to see how they play that next season without making Rebecca too unlikable. Because like, I'm no Josh can and this episode did a good job of showing how he's kind of a tool but also there's no way he should have married Rebecca and she was lying to him and manipulating him right up to the end there.

Should be a fun ride at least.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that I think anything was accidental or forced about the tonal shift. I think Father Brah and Dr. Akopian both pretty much spelled out in this episode how Rebecca and Josh both go back to their romantic cycles every time. I think that the tonal shift was really about illustrating that as Josh just bounced in and out of relationships and Rebecca rejected any progress she was making the second he showed any interest again. It also sort of retroactively addresses some of the problems people had with the Anna relationship since it was basically about showing Josh jump into a relationship with the first pretty girl who flirts with him even if she was clearly very casual about the relationship.

Now, maybe they executed it a bit awkwardly but I think I see the bigger picture in all that stuff.

Senerio posted:

My favorite part of the last part of the season when they reset everything is that they allowed Rebecca's Co-Workers, who hadn't had much screentime, to shine (especially Glenn, but also Mrs. Hernandez).

The Mrs. Hernandez reveal that she's been talking this whole time and she hates Rebecca because she was too self absorbed to even notice is easily the most underrated joke of this season.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 5, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its safe to assume that Josh's epiphany about Rebecca wasn't just about the "Richard" thing but all the signs he's been ignoring for weeks from her getting mad that he got along with her family to rushing up the wedding. He didn't even open the package from Trent or learn who Richard was. He just knew that Rebecca had been lying to him and that the whole relationship was hosed up. Finding out the specifics weren't really as important as Josh just realizing that its a bad relationship and he was only sticking with it because of his own dependency issues Father Brah and White Josh have pointed out this season.

Josh is a jerk for leaving her at the altar, but then again Rebecca's a total rear end in a top hat to Josh and literally had only pushed up the wedding because she cheated on him and didn't tell him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the deal is that all CW shows will go up a week after their finales. I know Frequency and No Tomorrow are both up there already too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it basically makes me glad that I didn't waste DVR space on Frequency or No Tomorrow saving them to binge since now I can do it on Netflix anyway. And probably makes me less likely to watch iZombie or try Riverdale or something that I would probably prefer to binge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Disgusting Coward posted:

What on Earth is wrong with you, that you ever liked any of the main characters? Everyone in this show is utterly, utterly awful. It's part of the charm!

This is hardly Always Sunny in Philadelphia. All the characters have their flaws but they all also come with their share of sympathetic problems and traits.

Rebecca's the big one who has used up a lot of sympathy while getting progressively worse as a person. Josh as well. The big problem is that the characters who have grown in a positive way are either supporting side characters (Paula), characters who kind of disappear for episodes at a time (Valencia), or characters who literally leave (Greg).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I don't think they're "terrible people" because none of them really have any malice or intent to hurt people. That's what made Valencia the "villain" in S1 because she was actively hostile to Rebecca and inconsiderate to Josh. In comparison Josh was inconsiderate to her but his behavior played more as cowardice and ignorance than genuine malice. That means you have room to sympathize with him. Then eventually we get more perspective on Valencia and gain sympathy for her and the way Josh has strung her along for so long, which flipped things a bit.

That's the main difference between this and shows like Always Sunny or Seinfeld. Those shows have people who actively hurt others and are either indifferent to it or take joy in it. THOSE are bad people. The people in Crazy Ex Girlfriend aren't bad, they're just broken. And at the very least they generally feel guilt when they hurt someone.

Rebecca pushes that when she's actively hurting or manipulating people, though. There's always been a give and take with that but this season was focused heavily on her manipulating Josh from her gaslighting him at the start to her cheating on him towards the end. And they end it with her intent on ruining him, which is slightly troubling.

But I'm willing to reserve judgment about the direction of S3 until it actually plays out. The show's earned that as they've generally done a good job balancing this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't like Paula at all for most of Season 1. She was a bored person (and kind of a neglectful wife and mother) who was screwing with strangers' lives to live vicariously through a relative stranger. Eventually she grew as a character and even recognized what she was doing and made an effort to stop and grow. That's pretty much when I started to like her.

Valencia did something similar but she started very much as the "villain" of the show. Yes, she had a good reason to dislike Rebecca but she was presented as cruel to Rebecca from the start and cruel to everyone else. Everyone dislikes her and she even has a musical number to show how insulting and rude to people she is. And while Josh sucks (I hate Josh) it doesn't really make it ok to treat him badly or neglect his feelings.

But then they start to flip perspective on that, show us her insecurities, show us how Josh has hurt her in the relationship, and most importantly she starts to realize these things and change. That's what the show does really well. Show us the bad side of a character and then unveil the insecurities and issues that got them there and watch as they grow as people. We've seen it with Valencia, Paula, Greg, Heather, Darryl, and even Josh.

The seesaw of the show is that they never make that move with Rebecca. She's always very up and down as sympathetic or villainous. Its the foundation of the show and its a tough balance to walk. They've done it successfully for the most part so I'm more than happy to wait and see if they can keep doing it, but the thing that makes it feel a little "perilous" at the end of S2 is probably that she comes so close to growing as a person but then takes a sharp turn in the wrong direction, cheated on Josh, manipulated him some more into a shotgun marriage, and then vowed revenge when he largely justifiably freaked out and backed out.

• Locked thread