Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Watching the new episode now. It reminds me a lot of s1e7 in a good way. And three songs in one episode definitely makes up for the lack of songs last episode. I think overall this episode is a new one among my favorites.

While I'm sad we're losing Greg after he's been showing signs of improvement from late s1, I'm glad Heather is getting an upgraded role in the narrative as a trade-off. What Rebecca needs right now isn't a man to latch onto, but a friend willing to look out for her. The fact that Greg was the only ghost Rebecca let go makes me wonder about where she stands with Josh in her mind. Valencia returning should be interesting, and I hope she gets another song (Good at Yoga + Women Gotta Stick Together are both underrated hits.)

Also I'm surprised in a pleasant way that instead of going through a long hand-wringing plot about getting an abortion or not, they just skipped that and allowed it to be normalized in the narrative. They didn't skimp over the family being Catholic, but there was no tedious debate about faith in the equation. Her husband may not be the smartest guy, but he's definitely supportive and it's good to see at least one healthy relationship on the show.*

*Darryl and WiJo aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Trent just cracks me up because he does the same kind of poo poo Rebecca has done in the pursuit for Josh, only he's a generally more off-putting person.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Valencia is so sweet, she's just so happy to have girlfriends for the first time and wants to get it right :3:

As for the endgame - I think Rebecca's endgame has to be realizing she can be detached from Josh and men in general and still be happy. In the same sense, she should also realize she doesn't need to unhealthily attach to other people in general to be happy. I do hope her and Paula reconcile, but she should realize that Paula is ultimately twice her age and so including her in a younger girl group just won't really work.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Give them a break, they had to spend all their budget on Love Kernels!

Also that broom is doing an amazing job playing Darryl this year.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think CW understands well most people watching this do so through Netflix or online venues, as opposed to watching it live, hence moving it to Friday. And honestly, the network understands that the shows that ACTUALLY bring in the ratings they need to sustain themselves are the DC shows + Supernatural. We can't judge CW by the standards of other networks when their highest rated show only manages to get 3 million in ratings and a 1.15 in the 18-49 demo.

Plus despite CEG's low ratings, it still manages to get critical acclaim and is one of the only shows the network has that get major award nominations. So I think they're willing to invest in a show that may not get many ratings, but is still a clear hit with the people who do watch.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I liked the chemistry that they had performing "Tapped That rear end" together. It really was one of the only times they interacted in a way where I was like oh right, yes, these guys are supposed to be besties.
And even that wasn't really them, it was Rebecca's polterguys.

(I love that pun still.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
"Tell me I'm okay, Patrick" was really drat strong. Felt like a softer version of "You Ruined Everything."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
HOLY poo poo YES.

TRENT!!!!!!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm liking the third season already.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

STAC Goat posted:

I think the deal is that all CW shows will go up a week after their finales. I know Frequency and No Tomorrow are both up there already too.
Yep. Netflix made a deal with them starting for all the seasons airing in 2016, in exchange for having exclusivity (hence why Hulu doesn't have recently aired episodes anymore.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The only unfair match-up here is Devil Winds vs Tell Me I'm Okay Patrick, in the sense that they're both amazing.

Also You Go First losing to Research Me is absolutely unforgivable.

Final edit but here is the best I could muster for Greg's Could If I Wanted To reprise.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 12, 2017

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Sex?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

EVGA Longoria posted:

Tell me I'm ok is really bleh as a song. The whole thing is "isn't mental illness funny?"

I guess a lot of songs are like that in this show, but it sticks out as especially bad, without being a good song to hold it up.
The song, to me, is in the same vein as "You Ruined Everything." Whereas that ballad was an ode to Rebecca's self-hatred, "Tell Me I'm Okay" is an ode to her desire to be acknowledged as a normal person capable of being loved. Both songs have a touch of humor, but they're deeply personal self-reflections where Rebecca actively analyzes her failings in song.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Math of Love Triangles is loving hysterical to me, if solely because of the mathematicians constantly trying to course correct her throughout the song.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I still don't get the appeal of Greg's Drinking Song. I'm glad the two Greg songs got pit against each other though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

EmmyOk posted:

srsly u punks

I see no problem with this.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
We're goons, of course we have terrible tastes.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
This year's "You Stupid Bitch" was "Tell Me I'm Okay" which you jerks voted out in favor of Devil Winds :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Devil Winds doesn't have two polterguys tap dancing on a giant rear end.

• Locked thread