Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I don't care what race or gender the main character is. As long as I can tie people up and put them on my horse and do horrible poo poo to them like put them in front trains I'm good.

Great villains transcend race and gender :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

My favorite moment in the previous generation of gaming was when you crossed into Mexico for the first time as the music blared. That was loving sweet.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Why are people saying all the dudes on the posters are all white? The 2nd last guy to the left looks like he could be pretty Latino to me... but I guess it's kinda hard to tell when the colour of their skin isn't shown in the first place, lol.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Steve2911 posted:

It might be that you are wrong.

poo poo dude I wish

I just don't have that mindset though to question character races before we even see a trailer

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dongattack posted:

I was okay with a female lead cause then i could oogle her. Was there historically any cool female cowboys?

Not really an outlaw, but Stagecoach Mary was one of my favorite period hardasses. (Edit: Beaten with a wikipedia link)

Personally I don't want a prequel about the same guys I killed or saw die in the last game; there's not really anything for me to look forward to there. Other stuff happening in and around the period or before it is fine, so long as the characters are new.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 18, 2016

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

My favorite moment in the previous generation of gaming was when you crossed into Mexico for the first time as the music blared. That was loving sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUXGW6sWYDY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BillBear posted:

To be fair, GTA has never tried to take anything ever seriously, apart from IV I guess.

With that being said, Red Dead Redemption featured some pretty good female characters IIRC, so it's kinda surprising one isn't a lead this time.

This. In GTA v everyone is either a mouthpiece for something or a stereotype or the main characters who are a mix of both. Red dead isn't like GTA, yeah it has some of the humor but most of the characters are real characters (apart from a few background ones like Herbert moon) it's more open world last of us type then gta. I am sure they will have well written women and minority characters.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Calamity Jane I guess

Reading about this on Neogaf is loving hysterical btw.

"MUH DIVERSITY!!!" "WHY IS EVERYBODY WHITE???" "WHERE'S ALL THE INDIANS AT"
That's just neogaf. I get it but we don't even have a trailer out yet.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm just glad R* can and does do whatever they want without having to worry what some clickbait chode is going to write. It must drive those types nuts that no amount of overwrought thinkpieces will make a dent in their success.

Oh no GTA V aka the most ambitious game of last gen that attempts a scathing indictment of every goddamn thing in this country is mean to women. Well, Mary Sue already has a clickbait turd article whining because, despite not seeing one second of footage, the tiny silhouettes on the teaser poster does not "appear" to have a woman among them. Since it's become common for some to say how they hope game does (x) just to piss off sone imagined redpill'd redditor, I'm going to say I hope R* keeps doing what they do just so they can give those who own problem glasses a frothing fit.

We honestly don't know if there's more than one playable character yet, and the pitchforks are already getting greased in case it doesn't check the right demographics.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

I'm just glad R* can and does do whatever they want without having to worry what some clickbait chode is going to write. It must drive those types nuts that no amount of overwrought thinkpieces will make a dent in their success.

Oh no GTA V aka the most ambitious game of last gen that attempts a scathing indictment of every goddamn thing in this country is mean to women. Well, Mary Sue already has a clickbait turd article whining because, despite not seeing one second of footage, the tiny silhouettes on the teaser poster does not "appear" to have a woman among them. Since it's become common for some to say how they hope game does (x) just to piss off sone imagined redpill'd redditor, I'm going to say I hope R* keeps doing what they do just so they can give those who own problem glasses a frothing fit.

We honestly don't know if there's more than one playable character yet, and the pitchforks are already getting greased in case it doesn't check the right demographics.

mens rights NOW

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Can we at least postpone the hand-wringing until the trailer drops on Thursday? Literally all we have to go on right now is a title, a release date, and a black-and-white image.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Black and red but yeah.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ninjahedgehog posted:

Can we at least postpone the hand-wringing until the trailer drops on Thursday? Literally all we have to go on right now is a title, a release date, and a black-and-white image.

Probably not?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The rumor mill circa E3 held that there won't be a mexico part of the map this time. Don't you dare rockstar that was the best part :argh:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

ninjahedgehog posted:

That market will be saturated 20 minutes after the trailer drops. Gotta get that pearl clutchin' in now while there are still ad clicks to go 'round!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

god i hope this game doesnt drop on pc

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

Don't be like that :(

I actually want to be able to play it at 60fps and not 20 something

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

good job assuming their genders, bigots

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

dickish but not fully wrong, i doubt rockstar gives a gently caress about what anyone says on any side says fortunatly.

bloodysabbath posted:

That market will be saturated 20 minutes after the trailer drops. Gotta get that pearl clutchin' in now while there are still ad clicks to go 'round!

true. polygon is STILL doing pieces on the witcher 3.

Blue Raider posted:

it might because it has multiplayer apperently.

marshmallow creep posted:

Not really an outlaw, but Stagecoach Mary was one of my favorite period hardasses. (Edit: Beaten with a wikipedia link)

there is a great dollop episode about her. she is fascinating.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
That whole "justify their salaries" speech at the end of the first one is something I can never unlearn. It pops into my mind a lot. RDR was such a great game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Trebek posted:

That whole "justify their salaries" speech at the end of the first one is something I can never unlearn. It pops into my mind a lot. RDR was such a great game.

yeah. i love that seen. Ill be an idiot and say i never got Dutchs motivations, I assume it was a "rugged individualist/liberterian" ideal.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Dumb talk aside, I'm very curious to see how Rockstar does with their first game since longtime producer Leslie Benzies left the company. There are internal memos from the Housers that suggest he's the guy who would sort of reign in the development chaos once it was time to assemble the many moving parts of these games into something you could actually ship. He's suing, says they basically forced him out to avoid paying a fuckton of royalties. I remember when the EA Spouse stuff dropped, there was also something from a Rockstar spouse who said development on RDR was a disaster. That turned around, to say the least. How feasible is it to just replace a guy who has been making sure the trains run on time on this very specific style of game since at least GTA III?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

making sure the trains run on time

hmmmmmmmm

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
e: not worth it

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 18, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bloodysabbath posted:

there was also something from a Rockstar spouse who said development on RDR was a disaster.

Basically, all the hacks that R* San Diego made to the RAGE engine to get certain things to work wound up having the finished product be held together with toothpicks, chewing gum and the harvested souls of unicorns. San Diego got so in over its head that Rockstar wound up having to have staff from literally all its studios transferred over to the RDR project in order to get it out the door.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I'm sad I'll never be able to play this game because I spend all my money on outdated software for consoles that came out 25 years ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timby posted:

Basically, all the hacks that R* San Diego made to the RAGE engine to get certain things to work wound up having the finished product be held together with toothpicks, chewing gum and the harvested souls of unicorns. San Diego got so in over its head that Rockstar wound up having to have staff from literally all its studios transferred over to the RDR project in order to get it out the door.

As an example, to get the iconic scenes where music plays in Mexico and when John heads home they had to cobble together a system where the music was tied to the horse you got on. That's why if you get off the horse or don't ride the one they give you it stops/doesn't play.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Edit: Apologies, did not see how many pages this thread was.

Nitevision fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 19, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dude on the far right is obviously a Native American. Diversity quota met.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I was going to say, the guy on the far right looks like an American Indian, not white.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Yeah the man all the way on the right is definitely a Native American, while the man in the middle and the two on the far left are white. The other three could end up being white or hispanic, hard to tell at this level of detail.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Is RDR on that playstation now service? I never got a chance to play it when it came out. It seems like that and demon souls are two last gen games that would actually benefit from a remaster but doesn't seem to happen.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

What the hell is wrong with some of you? There is nothing wrong with asking for better representation with games. I mean GTA V was pretty abysmal when it came to women. I just want more games where you don't have to play as white dudes. And considering the time period, it would be perfectly reasonable to play as an African American or Mexican person considering that a significant amount of those groups were cowboys.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

lmao

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

if it's a prequel then i hope they change the name from read dead redemption 2

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Looke posted:

Red Dead Rowdyboys please R*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

What the hell is wrong with some of you? There is nothing wrong with asking for better representation with games. I mean GTA V was pretty abysmal when it came to women. I just want more games where you don't have to play as white dudes. And considering the time period, it would be perfectly reasonable to play as an African American or Mexican person considering that a significant amount of those groups were cowboys.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

bloodysabbath is the only one really beating that drum and he's the sleaziest piece of poo poo on this entire forum so there's no need to generalize.

RDR's nature as a period piece helped rein in the worst of Rockstar's tedious "satire," so hopefully that'll hold up for a sequel.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 19, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I would have loved a playable Calamity Jane-type character (best part of Deadwood), but we'll know more tomorrow. Really hoping they don't opt for a prequel because the Marston story was complete in RDR, and it seems like you could do some super varied stuff rather than "notorious outlaw gang."

Oxxidation posted:

RDR's nature as a period piece helped rein in the worst of Rockstar's tedious "satire," so hopefully that'll hold up for a sequel.

This was something I really appreciated about it. GTAV was good at criticism of modern day America in some of the environments - communes set up by people who lost their homes in the housing crisis and things like that - but so many of their characters are like jesus christ just shut the gently caress up already.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 19, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All I know that is if I can't play a fabulously gay Hindu trans cowboy that identifies as a rainbow unicorn named LuCretia, I'm gonna be pissed

Tide fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 19, 2016

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Oxxidation posted:

bloodysabbath is the only one really beating that drum and he's the sleaziest piece of poo poo on this entire forum so there's no need to generalize.

Wow, that's quite the honor. Is there a title belt I can have for that? Can I defend it against other sleazy pieces of forum poo poo?

(Go gently caress yourself, mate.)

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Looke posted:

Red Dead Predemption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

How many genders do you think will be represented? Anything less than 4 and I'll be pretty upset.

• Locked thread