Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Red Dead Redemption does that really cool thing where they talk about people throughout the whole game but they never show you who they are. It kind of reminded me of Apocalypse Now in that they talk about your family for the whole game, but you don't even glimpse them until near the end of the game.

Edit: am I going crazy or didn't they release a kind of introductory movie for the game along side its release? Sort of similar to GTA San Andreas the introduction.

There was a movie (i guess) that was directed by John Hillcoat. It was basically the entire first act up until Marsden crosses into mexico. Its fairly slick too.

e. its been explained already but w/e

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Davoren posted:

I 100% RDR twice, best game Rockstar ever made for sure, just hope it wasn't lightning in a bottle.

People said the same about Bully. On this very forum, even.
I wouldn't worry

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hobo Clown posted:

How much does RDR say about Marston's old gang? It's been a while since I've played it. I remember chasing down the leader in the mountains in the third act, and it seemed like he was "the last one" or whatever, but can't remember any other details about who the others were or where they might be. (Are we using tags for RDR?)

I could definitely see you riding with them for a little bit before breaking off. That way you get a taste of Marston & friends along with a story you don't already know the ending to.
Dutch, Bill Williamson, and the one Mexican guy who I forgot the name of are the only surviving members besides John and his family. It's why Ross press gangs John in the first place, to have him kill his old gang and than Ross can tie up the loose end that is John Marston.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I hope you can shove people in 2. Shoving everyone and watching them tumble was the best thing about 1.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/789119073372114944

Trailer!

How do you embed tweets?

edit: oh, like that

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Trailer's up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

Looks pretty

e:f;b

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
By posting the youtube. https://youtu.be/gmA6MrX81z4

Looks pretty. Also not Louisiana.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Visually impressive, nothing else to say about it from that trailer.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Real weird that they chose the Xbox 360 port for their trailer.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Things we learned from trailer:

- Set in the west
- Horses
- 7 outlaw looking dudes of ambiguous race

Not a lot we couldn't tell from the poster tbh

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Sony announced a "partnership" with Rockstar, "PS4 players get first access to earn select online content in the vast open world of Red Dead Redemption 2."

Also, the PS3 version of RDR is going to be on PlayStation Now, so I guess you'll finally be able to play RDR on PC even if it is through streaming.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

Sony announced a "partnership" with Rockstar, "PS4 players get first access to earn select online content in the vast open world of Red Dead Redemption 2."

Also, the PS3 version of RDR is going to be on PlayStation Now, so I guess you'll finally be able to play RDR on PC even if it is through streaming.

Does the PS3 version run as well as the 360 version or should I just use that for my replay?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The 360 version looks and runs way better, so if you have that you may as well stick with it.

edit: here's Digital Foundry's comparison video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOq25Zo8pes

I love how Undead Nightmare is actually so broken now that even this tech comparison video has the game-breaking glitch (zombies turning into headless NPCs who shoot at you) showing up.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 20, 2016

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, for the record, RDR is one of those games that is unquestionably better on 360. The only reason to play it on PS3 is if you don't have a 360, or if you're like me, because your 360's disc drive doesn't work and the GOTY edition never got a digital release.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Unctuous Cretin posted:

But Red Dead Redemption was Red Dead Revolver's sequel, so Red Dead Revolver: Red Dead Redemption 2.

Or RDRRDR2

Trailer looks good but pretty much how I imagine RDR would have looked on a current gpu if they had just been able to do a PC port. I'm pretty confident RDR2 will get a pc port eventually, but god drat GTAV took almost 2 years so gently caress waiting for that. I guess I'll rebuy it in 2020 and it'll look amazing on my GTX 1470.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Got a real The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford vibe from the trailer music. Which is a very, very good thing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Looks about as good as expected. RDR has incredible animal behavior compared to GTAV, so here's hoping they go back in that direction (I assume the animals in GTAV were like on the furthest burner back, with everything else going on in the game).

Canoes! Hopefully water is not instant death this time around.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Got a real The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford vibe from the trailer music. Which is a very, very good thing.

Sounds like they got Woody Jackson again, but man oh man if they could snag Nick Cave.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Sounds like they got Woody Jackson again, but man oh man if they could snag Nick Cave.

Nick Cave would be great, but Warren Ellis is the man behind the magic.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Warren ellis doing the ambient/procedural audio that happens in the world and woody jackson for the story missions!

GTA5 had 3 soundtracks, dont see why they wouldnt do something similar here and have more than one. I think ellis is best suited to doing a 65daysofstatic/ no mans sky kind of dynamic audio.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Marogareh posted:

I hope you can shove people in 2. Shoving everyone and watching them tumble was the best thing about 1.

RDR definitely had the right sense of weight to it. That drunk stumbling out of the saloon on your first trip to town is a notable example. On the other end of that, they absolutely nailed the almost wirework way people get blown away in Spaghetti westerns.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Nick Cave would be great, but Warren Ellis is the man behind the magic.

Ellis is far too obsessed with just doing weird loops nowadays.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does Nick Cave do western themed music these days since he's a thread favorite? Any links to some good songs if so?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Does Nick Cave do western themed music these days since he's a thread favorite? Any links to some good songs if so?

Dude wrote a pretty great western if nothing else. (The Proposition)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vincent posted:

This is probably one of the most brutal movies I've ever seen, but it's excellent. Pretty sure he was involved in the score too, same as The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
7 protagonists, or 7 villains you have to track down and kill?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Electromax posted:

7 protagonists, or 7 villains you have to track down and kill?

Hell, why not both?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Setting looks around 1880ish to me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
When I was first playing the game everyone was talking about the atmospheric and amazing moment when you get to Mexico and it plays a beautiful song as you ride around as a stranger in a strange land. I called my horse, rode around, and nothing. Tying the trigger to that loving horse on the beach, while maybe the only thing they could have workarounded, was loving duuuuummmmmm.

Still, best horse riding in any game ever. Witcher 3 had a chance to dethrone it buuuut... NOPE.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Tying the trigger to that loving horse on the beach, while maybe the only thing they could have workarounded, was loving duuuuummmmmm.

Still, best horse riding in any game ever. Witcher 3 had a chance to dethrone it buuuut... NOPE.

Seconded on both counts. After RDR and Shadow of the Colossus, Witcher 3 might be in third-place though. It has a surprisingly robust mounted combat system, even.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
loving Roach would NOT stay on the trail. And would get hung up on tiny objects. And not turn. Or turn when I didn't want to. It was a MISERABLE experience.

RDR Horse would control perfectly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He always stayed on the path to me but yeah, he did have a weakness of getting caught up on small poo poo.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

People are saying the person in yellow is a girl, if that's the case I'm hoping we can create our own posse of 7, girls included. I'm curious to see what they do with the character switching mechanic this time though, if it's even included. I don't know about you guys but I felt like it was pretty drat cool in V and had gently caress tons of potential.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I said this a whole bunch in the last thread. But if RDR2 gets you to replay the original: turn off the hud. You actually observe the amazing world instead of staring at your minimap.

Vincent posted:

Great film. Great sound track. It's like a little mini Blood Meridian set in the outback.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BillBear posted:

People are saying the person in yellow is a girl, if that's the case I'm hoping we can create our own posse of 7, girls included.

I really hope that isn't the case, but it seems like it will be since she doesn't appear in the teaser artwork :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

fennesz posted:

I said this a whole bunch in the last thread. But if RDR2 gets you to replay the original: turn off the hud. You actually observe the amazing world instead of staring at your minimap.
I did this for a while at the start of my Hardcore mode playthrough. Having to actually look at your surroundings is quite a nice change, but I ran into some trouble due to the fact you can't keep track of your Dead Eye (which you kinda need in Hardcore mode) in any way if your HUD is turned off. As a compromise, I ended up just not using waypoints.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

I did this for a while at the start of my Hardcore mode playthrough. Having to actually look at your surroundings is quite a nice change, but I ran into some trouble due to the fact you can't keep track of your Dead Eye (which you kinda need in Hardcore mode) in any way if your HUD is turned off. As a compromise, I ended up just not using waypoints.

You can tell by the tone of the WHOOSH while in dead eye. If it's higher you have less. It's just hard mode :banjo:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I wanna scalp people in this one, its such a brutal thing and I wanna do it in a video game and sell those scalps back in town. No scalps no buy.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

fennesz posted:

You can tell by the tone of the WHOOSH while in dead eye. If it's higher you have less. It's just hard mode :banjo:
Well, that would've been good to know earlier. :eng99:

And yeah, I have no problems with the lack of HUD in normal mode since Dead Eye regenerates, but clearly I'm too much of a filthy casual to play HC mode with no HUD.

[e] if someone hasn't played the GOTY edition and doesn't know what Hardcore mode does, here's what it changes:

RDR wiki posted:

Aiming is permanently set to Expert.
Maximum health is reduced by half.
Health regenerates more slowly and begins refilling after a longer delay.
Dead Eye Targeting does not automatically fill over time. It must be earned by killing enemies or using items.
Horses do not regenerate. If killed, the player must purchase, steal, mount, or break another horse and then Hitch it to a post to earn the right to call it by whistling. Horse Deeds are still available and unlimited use, but are twice as expensive.
Store items cost more. Sell values are lowered.
Reward/drops/looting amounts are lowered (ammunition and money).
Pardon Letters are more rare.
Fame and Honor gains are reduced.
Mini-game buy-ins are lowered to match the scarcity of money.
The War Horse deed is not automatically provided to the player and must be purchased instead. It is available to be purchased for $10,000 in any General Store.
The Deadly Assassin Outfit increases the amount of Deadeye gained from kills, rather than over-time regeneration.

Personally, I thought it just made the game more tedious.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BillBear posted:

People are saying the person in yellow is a girl, if that's the case I'm hoping we can create our own posse of 7, girls included. I'm curious to see what they do with the character switching mechanic this time though, if it's even included. I don't know about you guys but I felt like it was pretty drat cool in V and had gently caress tons of potential.

That'd be pretty rad. Or it could be you just make someone and they join the gang. Or that simply was a shot of them mucking around in multiplayer.

• Locked thread