Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Adun posted:

The wife and I used points to book business/first class tickets to Asia a few weeks ago for crazy cheap and holy poo poo it is so worth it for a long flight.

I've done 14 trans-Pacific round trips...all in coach...and I've got another in 3 weeks :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

whypick1 posted:

I've done 14 trans-Pacific round trips...all in coach...and I've got another in 3 weeks :shepicide:

I've done probably 40 or so, my advice is sleeping pills to knock out about half the flight time, an iOS game that doesn't require an internet connection, and a spare battery.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
A very apt URL

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

that was on the blind side block that the announcers bitched and moaned should not have been called because its what we all came to see

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
NFL facing unprecedented rebellion from the inside

quote:

Two NFL teams publicly mock a league policy. A third publishes an entire website to discredit league discipline. A coach subtweets a disputed suspension. A star player posts a video in which he says: "We really don't have reason to trust the NFL." Another performs a "robot" celebration to lampoon the league's expectations for player behavior.

Viewed independently, these episodes are simple and entertaining morsels that feed our quick-take consumption of sports culture. Taken together, however, they represent an unprecedented rebellion against NFL authority from almost every facet of its realm. Unrest is not uncommon in pro football, or in any industry, but the public display we have seen in recent years has been both stark and damaging.

This space is normally reserved for analysis of Sunday's on-field developments, but it is impossible this week to ignore -- of all things -- two tweets from the Eagles and Browns. After scoring touchdowns, each team tweeted a GIF of an electronic football game. Both teams used a paper football attached to a wooden stick to provide a crude representation of how they scored.

The tweets, of course, were in clear reference to the NFL's recent decision to enforce a long-standing policy that prohibits teams from distributing digital game video on their own during games. The Carolina Panthers also mocked the edict in Week 5, tweeting the words "AndersonToBenjamin.gif" (instead of the actual GIF) after a touchdown, but later deleted it.

You would have to be a big NFL policy geek to care about this particular pillow fight. In essence, teams are upset that the league decided a month into the season to begin enforcing, with fines, a policy that had long been ignored. Teams want to post video to drive engagement, a common social media strategy, but the league and its broadcasters want to control distribution and maximize monetization from a central source.

The details don't matter as much as the decision by teams to dispute it openly. This isn't merely a few social media interns getting cute. If it were, you can be certain the Browns and Eagles would have deleted the tweets immediately.
Instead, as of early Monday morning, they had been either retweeted or liked nearly 15,000 times.

I view this sarcastic protest in line with other public dissents we've seen recently. Remember, the New England Patriots still maintain a website that questions whether the league's integrity was "seriously compromised" by its Deflategate investigation and discipline. A year later, the Kansas City Chiefs publicly criticized the league's "inconsistent enforcement of its tampering policies."

Earlier this season, New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton tweeted a photograph of the Patriots' tribute to suspended quarterback Tom Brady. Payton, whom the NFL suspended for the 2012 season as part of its contested findings in the Bountygate scandal, said he was one of a few people who could "understand what Tom's going through."

Three weeks ago, Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman posted a video on The Players' Tribune encouraging players to view the NFL as an employer that "really could care less" about its players. In what was an extraordinary indictment of the NFL's corporate morality, Sherman said the league is such a "bottom-line business" that it will ignore its own guidelines for removing injured players from games if it compromises revenue generation.

And finally, in Week 5, Browns receiver Andrew Hawkins placed the football on the ground after scoring a touchdown and walked like a robot to the sideline. Later, he told reporters that his intent was to "troll the whole situation" amid the NFL's renewed emphasis on sportsmanship.

Look, the NFL has never operated in complete harmony. Its history, like that of almost every other collection of human beings, is pocked with public disputes. Al Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders until his death in 2011, once sued the league, and for decades he undermined its attempts to rein him in. There were two player strikes in a five-year period in the 1980s. Former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon once protested then-commissioner Pete Rozelle's policy against wearing corporate logos by donning a headband that read "Rozelle."

Notably, Rozelle laughed and said McMahon's stunt was "funny as hell." He didn't rescind a $5,000 fine, but everyone moved on with the appropriate level of gravity.

This feels different, however. Perhaps it seems more intense because it's happening now, but the collective audacity of NFL employees implies a lack of respect for its authority and -- worse -- a distrust in the way it operates. It feeds a public notion that the league is a bungling business, not one that stands atop the economic food chain in the sports industry, and invites an erosion of its corporate reputation.

The league hasn't cared much about these ancillary issues as its popularity and television ratings remained high. All publicity is good publicity, as long as the money is rolling in.

But at a time when ratings have dropped for the first time in recent memory, all potential causes -- big, small, real or imagined -- must be taken seriously. When your business is under consistent criticism from its own members, and when they are aggrieved or cavalier enough to broadcast it in a way that mocks the league's centralized authority, it's time to pay attention.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Leon Einstein posted:

Shields put on IR. Packers are hosed.

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/788456032519544832

I can't see him playing again. He claims he'll be back in "eight weeks" but ...

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Vikings defensive coordinator got a DUI over the summer and it's just now coming to light. Didn't Zimmer kick a dude off the team for that?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Brannock posted:

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/788456032519544832

I can't see him playing again. He claims he'll be back in "eight weeks" but ...

He isn't on IR because the concussion situation is horrific, he's on IR because we need the roster spots for warm bodies because the team is so beat up at the moment.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

I look forward to the NFL not getting it even more and making even further restrictions, and I also eagerly await the new ways people will find creative ways to give the NFL the finger

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Abugadu posted:

I've done probably 40 or so, my advice is sleeping pills to knock out about half the flight time, an iOS game that doesn't require an internet connection, and a spare battery.

Fwiw check out Korean Airlines. We booked business there/first back from NYC to Bangkok for less than 100k credit card points (translates to about $1000 in cash equivalent) and like a $100 fee.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

So they found a hip issue with Eric Decker that that needed to addressed prior to the shoulder surgery that put him on IR. Not sure why he can't recover from both concurrently but here we are. If he's out for all of 2017, he then becomes a cap casualty after this season.

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/788475858176573441

He's such a good deal contract wise for 2017. Profoundly depressing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Abugadu posted:

He isn't on IR because the concussion situation is horrific, he's on IR because we need the roster spots for warm bodies because the team is so beat up at the moment.

Shields has been suffering more frequent and worse concussions, though. The next one could be career-ending.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Vikings defensive coordinator got a DUI over the summer and it's just now coming to light. Didn't Zimmer kick a dude off the team for that?

literally today a practice squad player was cut for getting a DUI last week. Only other dude I remember getting cut for a DUI is Jerome Simpson.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Naturally Selected posted:

MS Tablets are unreliable garbage and the NFL's approach to IT is trash, stop the presses.

They are not garbage.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I want to gently caress the NFL so hard

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Gynecolojustice posted:

Pretty solid name/post.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/788561707899691008

I will never stop getting increasingly more mad at Mike for that Seattle NFC title blunder.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Gynecolojustice posted:

The camera focuses further into the background and I'm mumbling "yeah" under my breath while you have a hogtied Goodell bent over a barrel. There's just the slightest suggestion that I may be jerking off but you can't really tell because this is just a Pulp Fiction joke

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I will never stop getting increasingly more mad at Mike for that Seattle NFC title blunder.

I don't see the Packers winning another SB with Rodgers at the helm. lovely, but at least I got to see Rodgers play at an incredible level for 5 years or so.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

They are not garbage.

Nah man obviously a 65 year-old man knows what's up with technology

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
No comment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLotzUGgjvz/

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Back in '82, I was the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

The team would've most likely lost to the Patriots but still gently caress you Mike

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lacy's in his contract year. Given the inconsistency/fatness, and the injuries, I wonder if Ted will resign him this offseason...

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Lessail posted:

The team would've most likely lost to the Patriots but still gently caress you Mike
They beat the Pats that year.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leon Einstein posted:

They beat the Pats that year.

Exactly. There's no way they would beat them twice. :wink:

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

So Rodgers is not the same since Denver, and Cam Newton had a very rough start since the Superbowl.

Wade Philips, destroyer of MVP QB's??

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Brannock posted:

Lacy's in his contract year. Given the inconsistency/fatness, and the injuries, I wonder if Ted will resign him this offseason...

Like Ted would ever let him go and sign a FA RB.

In all honesty though I wish Lacy well during his next 4 years on the Colts.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

OxySnake posted:

RB's are a dime a dozen in the later rounds. Ted will trade his third round pick for a handful of 6-7th round picks, and we'll see what sticks in camp.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

OxySnake posted:

If they replace The Highlander Frank Gore the Colts don't deserve to be a franchise anymore.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If they replace The Highlander Frank Gore the Colts don't deserve to be a franchise anymore.

former eagle frank gore

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

OperaMouse posted:

So Rodgers is not the same since Denver, and Cam Newton had a very rough start since the Superbowl.

Wade Philips, destroyer of MVP QB's??

I guess it's only fair, Rodgers got Philips fired from Dallas.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Lol at Mario Williams declining a conference call with the buffalo media
Mario is such a lazy baby.
I love how his excuse was the scheme and right now we have 2 random rear end players who are leading the league in sacks and tackles. Obviously Mr. pea brain is much smarter than all of our coaches.

fsif posted:

The worst part of his actually-ing is going to be when he's totally vindicated when the Patriots go to Orchard Park.

Yeah well what a badass to go out on a limb saying the Patriots are going to beat a team they have historical success against.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This all the guys on the field deciding they were done, not Mike

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Didn't Collinsworth tell some story that Rodgers prefers to practice the "hard throws" because he's so good at the easy ones? maybe that's the problem...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It'll be ok guys Mario Williams probably just doesn't understand how bad he's hurt your feelings :cry:

I'll see if we can get Wake to talk to him.

I'd rather he talk to him about getting more sacks TBH

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

dont even fink about it posted:

This all the guys on the field deciding they were done, not Mike

The guys on the field were certainly not calling plays, no sir, nope, nuh uh.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
That meltdown can be specifically pinned on Bostick trying to play the hero.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
A lot can be pinned on Fat Mike this year. Teams don't blitz Rodgers much and drop everyone into coverage and all that's called are ISO routes. I'm not for firing him but they need to mix up they plays a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Hot Diggity! posted:

A lot can be pinned on Fat Mike this year. Teams don't blitz Rodgers much and drop everyone into coverage and all that's called are ISO routes. I'm not for firing him but they need to mix up they plays a bit.

My take, as I mentioned in the other thread or maybe here, is that a decent chunk of the problems could be masked if Rodgers made closer to the % of those tough throws he used to make. However, that wouldn't fix the lack of a coherent offensive game-plan, not calling literally anything that can beat the shells they're seeing or heavy press-underneath coverage, and putting your slower receivers on islands and asking them to win constantly. I'd love to just see Trevor Davis or Janis running a few flys a game. Even if they drop a pass or two, it still creates that threat.

• Locked thread