Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

(source)

Throne is not Eden. Without the sublime burning will necessary to skim the flesh from the bones of the divine and feast, Throne is Eden's infested cadaver. If the criminals don't kill you, the guilds will -- and there is very little distinction between the two; if you become a guild bigwig and accrue staggering wealth, heroes or angel lawmen or your mafioso rivals will crush you; if by a supreme exertion of power you manage to rise to the top of the heap and become an exalted lord, you are still a lord of ants, and the Demiurges may stamp you out because you fail to pray on a holy day, or because you have broken the law of the Celestial Empire, or simply because Jagganoth walked through one day, and the Belligerent Knights who attend him killed you to make room for his invincible stride.

No, Throne is not Eden. Usually, at least.

Recently, in a region close to the edge of Throne -- and not too far from the Shades, traditionally the seeding-ground of lawlessness -- a gate belonging to Mammon was opened, and his bureaucratic soldiers and hierophants sent through to extract whatever wealth could be gained. And, by some miracle or boon, the former inhabitants of the world Mammon invaded, the natives of Akrela, managed to avoid the typical taxation of the Grand Dragon Bank, instead seeding something like a colony around the Gate to their former home, under Mammon's own protection. For those who lived in the local districts, the Akrelan immigration has been paradise: wealth has flowed in, centers of art and leisure have sprouted up like eerie mushrooms, and (with the Grand Dragon Bank firmly in place) there has come to pass a brief golden time where the guilds cannot catch all the gold before the poor receive it.

Surely, no one wants to disturb this peace?

But the Akrelans are gathering weapons with their wealth. But the Guilds still cluster like locusts at the edges of the Gate. And some claim to have seen a strange woman, Akrela-born, with eyes of quartz and ceramic flesh, the passionate voice of a saint, the murderous strength of a royal... and in her forehead, a Key of Kings.

Are you vigilant, determined to keep paradise from crumbling? Are you the wolf at the door, waiting for paradise to fall so you can pick at its corpse? Or are you here to follow the rumors of a conqueror, rising?

Seek heaven through violence.

quote:

This is a recruitment post for a game based on Broken World, a PBTA system meant to simulate the particular heavy-metal/esoteric religion/kung fu atmosphere of Abaddon's Kill Six Billion Demons, which I recommend you read whether or not you choose to apply here. (Including the alt-text, author commentary and comments -- they're a vital part of the experience.)

When submitting a character, in addition to the basic questions involved, choose one Level 2-5 move -- from any playbook -- and answer the following questions:
1. Who do you know in Throne who's played a major role in your story so far?
2. Are you thriving in the Akrelan paradise, or do you chafe within it? If it fell, how would you, theoretically, stand to profit or lose?
3. What was the last time you witnessed death?
4. Define royalty.
5. Think of a clever title for the game thread.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Cormorant

Far, far below Throne, in a forgotten pool of some base liquid, Cormorant hunted. Stripped of his armaments and his armor, he struggled against the beast wielding only a pole. Sweating with exertion, the soothing clay on his body crackling with the pressure, he gritted teeth behind his mask. Suddenly, a taut -snap- crackled through the air, and he fell backwards, crashing to the red dirt. He lay there for a moment, panting, before looking at his pole. Line snapped, again. I’ll need to have a word with Preem Zgesh about it. Hyren-gut my left foot.

He watched his prey sink beneath the surface, leaving not even ripples behind.

- - -

Later, as he smoothed and sculpted the clay caking his body, he considered the recent ‘invasion’ of the Akrelans. Philosophically, he was inclined to give people a chance - and by and large their coming had been a boon for the community. His contacts among the beggars had dried up of late, and he had grown concerned… until he had met some of them in the public house, beggars no longer, high on life and the great virtue of self-respect. However, he was also a fisherman, and knew better than to trust the surface of things. Ammunition had grown scarce, and he could feel Jalakaag’s steel belly rumbling for it. His sources shrugged and claimed it was spoken for - all of it. Coincidence? Perhaps - but he did not like coincidences.

He hauled Jalakaag up onto his shoulder, brushing off stray specks of rusty sand. Her bayonet was little more than a spade now, and he was desperately low on ammunition - but she still looked the part, and that was usually enough. Hooking his claws into the craggy skin of a long-dead giant, he began the long climb back up to Throne proper. He whistled a tuneless ditty on his way up, dragging a net full of squirming prey.

quote:

[Name] Cormorant
[Archetype] The Fury
[Race] Crimson Devil

[Burning Will] “I wish to brave the deep oceans of the multiverse and draw a tooth from the very head of Leviathan itself. Following that, I would like to retire and write of my grand adventure.”
[Flaw] Vanity

[Body: +1] [Heat: +2] [Breath: 0] [Mind: +1] [Presence: -1]
[Damage Die: 3d6] [Stamina: 1/1] [Wounds:4/4]
[Proficiences: Light Armor, Spear, Great Gun]

[Gear]
    Cormorant dresses in a knee length, grey-blue robe (Plain Clothing) carved from the leather of a great fish. Underneath, tucked against his skin, he wears light, overlapping armor (Light Armor) plates - though nothing so ostentatious that it is visible through his clothing. Slung over his back is a neatly bundled pack (Traveller’s Gear) containing all manner of oddities - A strange compass, several reels of fine fishing line, indescribable dried meats and fruits, a glowing stone, a large bag of dried, fragrant clay and a book of short stories. Hidden from view, a pouch of coins from a thousand worlds (1 Wealth) - most useless where he is at any given moment.

His skin appears oddly smooth and grey-blue - but a closer look reveals that he is caked with a smooth and fragrant clay, sculpted to look like flesh. Over the course of the day, it dried and flakes off, revealing patches of scarred and burned devilhide - in combat, the scars blaze with the heat of the Hot Black Flame, drying the clay to powder. Afterwards, Cormorant makes sure he is well covered once again. Have to keep up appearances, after all!

Overall, he gives the impression of an unusually quiet, reserved demon noble - though he is from no such stock. He is quick to laugh, affable, and generous. The only thing about him that gives pause is a great and battered gun (Great Gun) slung languidly across his back - a long, smooth monstrosity of a rifle fitted with a broken bayonet. Jalakaag’s age is plain, but a closer look reveals that it is well-maintained and smells of black powder. When Cormorant is wielding it, his smile remains - but his eyes look flat and dull as coins.
[Moves]
    Devil Fury’s Boon
    Cormorant is not hunter of men (not anymore), but he is wise in the ways of pain - in both himself and others. Cormorant can scent blood. Once per Battle Trance, he can determine the approximate health (wounds/stamina) of his opponents.
    Battle Trance
    In open, violent conflict, Cormorant has the ability to sink into a dissociative trance, where the thousand points of light glinting from speartips seem to stand still. While in such a trance, he will hum a nonsense tune, the volume raising sharply as he strikes out at his foes before falling back like a wave. While in the trance, he critical hits on a 5 or 6. The dissociation causes him to disregard bodily injury, even where such might cause him difficulties. He takes 1 extra damage if injured while in a trance. The trance ends once the conflict does, and cannot be taken up again before he rests.
    Tiger’s Blood
    Though slight, Cormorant is deceptively tough - whenever he would take damage that would reduce his wounds to 0 or lower, he rolls +Heat. On 10-12, he ignores the damage completely and falls to 1 wound. On 7-9, he drops to 0 wounds but is merely stricken unconscious, unable to act until resting. On 2-6, he makes a Defy Fate roll as normal. Each subsequent time he makes this roll before he rests, he takes -1 cumulative to it, and every time he makes this roll, he gains a new scar. His battered body bears witness to his foolish youth - he has not needed to exert himself in this way in quite a while.
    Scarred
    Cormorant has a number of scars, both physical and emotional. He does not rejoice in them, nor is he ashamed of them. They are experience made tangible, and he can meditate upon his past to influence his present. When he makes a roll, he can choose to draw on one of his scars. If he does, he takes +1 to the roll as the pain focuses him, but he marks -1 (cumulative) to a stat of his choice until he rests. After all, there is much anguish in dwelling too much on the past.
    Mantra of Aesma, the Hungry
    Cormorant would prefer to face his foes out in the open, where he can watch them watch him end them. However, he is and foremost a professional - and there something to said for snuffing an unwitting flame. When dealing damage to a target unaware of his presence, his attacks deal +1 damage and gain the [ap] tag.
    Cormorant’s best mate in Throne is - was - the beggar Servant Stink-Eye, master of the panhandle. He used to be a rifleman in some planetary army they had both served in, relative decades ago - but then some Demiurge or another had come by and… you know how it goes. They had fled with their comrades, and some had managed to make their way to Throne to try to make a life. Cormorant was luckier than most, but he kept in touch with his fellows, helping where he could. Stink-Eye the beggar is no more - because due to the Akrelan’s coming, he has landed a cushy job as a bodyguard. Don’t call him Stink-Eye, either: he goes by Reek-Sight, now. Good old Stink-Eye!
2. Are you thriving in the Akrelan paradise, or do you chafe within it? If it fell, how would you, theoretically, stand to profit or lose?
    Cormorant is what he always wanted to be - a fisherman. In the myriad crevices in the bodies of myriad dead gods, pools and lakes of water (and other, stranger liquids) have gathered. Cormorant fishes these pools with hook or gun or spear, hauling back a staggeringly diverse catch and selling it in the markets. To many of the Akrelan, these aquatic beasts are the rarest delicacies, and he has made coin off their purchases. But if they fell? Well, there would always be hungry people - he would survive.
    In the mighty battle between fisherman and his prey, there are hundreds of small deaths. The snap of a line trusted to hold, the last gambit of a hooked fish, the heartwrenching escape of a valuable haul - and of course the final death, when the prey is dragged out of its home and opened to the air of an alien land. Glory enough in that for Cormorant! With his scars caked in clay, it’s glory enough. Better that than to remember battlefields strewn with entrails, Jalakaag shrieking as she peeled another stranger open. No, fishing was glory enough.
4. Define royalty.
    Royalty is the seeking of royalty - the mindless pursuit of it casting away all else.
    Kill Six Billion Demons - Take Me Down to the Paradise City OR Paradise by the Smash Board Fights

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 3, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Interest post as well. Probably a Fated?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I am very interested.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

I'm quite interested as well.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
There is a v1.2 hosted in the thread from the last time someone tried to run Broken World: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756725&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post454073581

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Apocron posted:

There is a v1.2 hosted in the thread from the last time someone tried to run Broken World: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756725&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post454073581

Ooh, good to know. Editing that into the OP.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
One could say I Hunger for such an adventure.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I want to play, I'd want to be the Master, or the Beggar, or the Boss, or the Hunger, whatever there is room for in the party.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Interest post is here.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll read up on the rules tonight and at work, hopefully I'll have a character up before the weekend.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Poltergrift posted:

Ooh, good to know. Editing that into the OP.

I don't know if it has any relevant changes, but the 1.3 version is available here. At the very least the pdf is slightly longer.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

akulanization posted:

I don't know if it has any relevant changes, but the 1.3 version is available here. At the very least the pdf is slightly longer.

...well, Royalty is a continuous editing motion.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Mangyi of the Seven Sunderings

Silence! I seek the one who deserves my service. You, unworthy crawler upon the face of the dead gods, do not deserve to know my name!

In the beginning, there was the Egg and the Sword.

The Sword was brash and filled with heat, and cried, Ah, I am the Master of Creation! But for this useless Egg I would be alone in this wretched existence!

The Sword wished very much this was so, and so cut the Egg, and from the shell sprang YISUN.

The Sword cut YISUN a thousand thousand times, crying, Ah, I am the Master of Creation! But for this useless being I would be alone in this wretched existence!

Eventually, the Sword halted, for it saw that instead of being alone, it was surrounded by twice a thousand thousand beings. YISUN spoke then.
Oh Sword, you are the Master of Creation. For to destroy is the essence of creation, and every strike doubles your sorrow.

Sword fell, weeping, tears of blood, for it knew that this was true. In sympathy, YISUN bound Sword to serve, so it would no longer have to think of its terrible fate.

Sans sight, sans touch, sans hearing, sans smell, sans taste, sans thought, sans will.

And so I am.

Song of the Seven Sunderings

I, Mangyi, must walk the path of my forebears.

I was born with my left eye missing and useless, and this was a sign that I was one of the Path of Seven. So I was trained in swordplay and the art of separating men from their blood in perfect darkness, and then when I cut down Wong, the master of deafness, I was given the pleasure of removing my other eye.

The remaining 6 Sunderings must be granted by others. So I have journeyed long to seek those who may strike off my ears, take my tongue, cut the nose from my face- Such pleasures are not mine. They are the deeds of the worthy.

And when I have severed the last of the Seven from myself, I will have found the master who is worthy of wielding Sword, and who will cut the face of the cosmos in two with their thought alone.

And then I, Mangyi, will be complete.

56 Gazes Over the Righteous, who has thrice attempted to strike me down, and thrice failed. He is of the Petals, but who has sent him to dog my heels I do not know. What I do know is that such a minion of another is unworthy of taking my senses.

I came here in search of the worthy, and have found only the corrupt. It is painful to hear their worthless words. Still, I remain, for such a place does not last, and when the corrupt fall, the worthy make their appearance...

When last I fled from Gaze, I struck down one of the men who stepped in my path.

4. Define royalty.

The one who is worthy of my service.

I See A Gold Wall, And I Want to Paint It Red

The Fated
Human - Get +1 to Query the Cosmos rolls for anything related to your Destiny

Body -1
Heat +2
Breath +1
Mind +0
Presence +1

Stamina 2+1
Wounds 3
Damage: 2d6

Burning Will : To challenge the worthy to heedless conflict
Flaw : Arrogant and headstrong

Proficiencies:
Light and Medium Armor. Empty hand, Saber, Gun

Bonds:
Write at least one of your party member’s names down:
[BLANK] has helped me when I was down before (+1)
I don’t know much about [BLANK] and I should find out more before I trust them (-1)
[BLANK] seems to have their own destiny. I should ask them about it (+0)

Or write your own bond below. It starts at +0
[BLANK]

Gear:
Exotic clothes
The Clothes Of the Heavenly Maiden (Light Armor)
One Day, A Thousand Autumns, the Blade of Change
Traveler’s Gear.
An assortment of multi-world coin and barter items worth 1 wealth.
A coin giving you passage through the Kingdoms of Mammon.
The Blindfold of the Sundering of Sight

Destiny
You have a specific destiny. Before the first session, discuss with your GM what this means for your character. Perhaps it was thrust upon you, perhaps sought, perhaps passed down to you. You found it in the burning ruins of your village, the death of your master, the call to the battlefield, the open road.

Whenever you reach a milestone in that destiny (an achievement, moment of truth or clarity, or slay a mighty enemy who opposes it, etc), your whole group is inspired (provided they were there)
. They can erase and disregard any wounds taken and mark experience.

Fated Style
You use a special, renowned, or significant style of martial arts that was handed down to you. The Sundering Sword of Loss and Change. When you critical hit, you can regain 1 stamina (for each critical hit!). For example, if you roll 2d6 for your damage die and get double 6s, you will regain 2 stamina.

Your weapon or style is both recognized and contested by a specific and powerful individual or group. Whether that person or group is overtly hostile or not will be up to the GM.

Inspire
When you spur on your wounded ally on, roll +Heat On a 10-12, they can recover 1+Heat of their stamina and recover their footing, position, and wits. On a 7-9, they regain their stamina or their footing, position and wits. On a miss, you lose heart and can’t inspire anyone again until the battle is over.

Harden Blades and Sharpen Minds

Gain +1 forward and an additional power die when you take the Train move. In addition, each time you train, a little bit of your destiny will become clearer to you. You can ask the GM the question ‘What seems to be the best path forward for me and my destiny?’ and the GM must answer truthfully

K Prime fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 20, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Poltergrift posted:

...well, Royalty is a continuous editing motion.

Funny you should mention that. This one is mostly just more background and some editing I think, but then again I just found it 5 minutes ago.

EDIT: Just kidding, it substantially reworks the master play sheet and probably more. Huge nerfs to all the master's powerful abilities.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 20, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

akulanization posted:

Funny you should mention that. This one is mostly just more background and some editing I think, but then again I just found it 5 minutes ago.

EDIT: Just kidding, it substantially reworks the master play sheet and probably more. Huge nerfs to all the master's powerful abilities.

Dangit!

edit: Alright, edited it to match Version 1.4! There's stuff missing from the new version that's annoying though - the ranged combat stuff refers to a Move that's no longer there, though I think it's just been renamed.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 21, 2016

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I'm just going to tentatively state my interest now.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

akulanization posted:

okay, YISUN, I know I said continuous, but did you really have to call me out on this one

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So do we get a Move from any archetype in addition to the one we start with in our own, or just as an alternative?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Who What Now posted:

So do we get a Move from any archetype in addition to the one we start with in our own, or just as an alternative?

I'd say the latter; the copy I was working from didn't provide a rule for starting with an advanced move.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Credit to Birthday Oral

"Good, eh? Bit of my own creation, that. Sky-star poppies, Hao'gau'laen leaf, and of course all rolled in Resin. I made Resin, you know. No, it's true! Bah, no one ever believes the truth."

Junjie's most important possession

To hear Junjie tell it, he was once a noble-born Warrior-Prince of a far off world, a Conqueror of almost a hundred separate worlds. War came easily to him, effortlessly even, and such was his indomitable fury that arrows would fly to the horizon and blades twist to strike back at their wielders to avoid him, for even such tools and weapons knew that to come into contact with him was to invite utter obliteration. Entire nations would prostrate themselves at his feet to win his good graces, and he had riches and concubines enough to fill a thousand thousand palaces. He could fire a bow and strike the moon, he could swing a club and cause all the lands in a hundred miles to crumble into the seas, he could split the stars in heaven with but a single flick of his sword, and he could wrestle a dozen dragons for a year and a day without tiring. To hear him tell it, he grew bored of being a conqueror, for it came easily and without effort and so was without challenge for him. To hear him tell it, he left to train under the greatest of the master alchemysts to learn their ways, but soon abandoned them as the mysteries of the æther held no interest to him. To hear him tell it, he was a member of ten thousand guilds and was a journeyman of good standing within each one, but walked away from those too as the toil of the material world could offer him nothing. To hear him tell it, he was apprenticed to the ten greatest sorcerers of all the stars and learned the Artes both Red and White, but turned his back on those as well for the ways of the magician are for the weak. To hear him tell it, he came into possession of an opium den and it was there that he found his true calling. Bringing together his knowledge of alchemy, of craftsmanship, and of the Artes, he developed the substance known all across The Wheel as Resin; a black, tar-like substance easily and cheaply made and distributed that when burned and inhaled produces a mild euphoric and soporific feeling that lasts for hours, and the Resin itself can be smoked for days. Most importantly, it can be easily combined with other substances and materials to produce other feelings and effects, making it a popular way to cut other illicit substances to enhance their effects and allow them to be enjoyed for much longer. To hear him tell it, Junjie became obsessed with finding the perfect combination of substances to produce an ultimate feeling of spiritual awakening and oneness with existence and that this obsession destroyed him and left him with nothing but his wits and his will.

Of course, to hear him tell it, and depending on what awful things he's managed to get into his long-stemmed pipe, Junjie is also a million serpents merely pretending to be a man, the reincarnation of King Solomon (despite the man still being very much alive), or any other number of outlandish and impossible things.

What can be said with any sort of certainty is that Junjie is in fact, obsessed with the smoking of Resin (although he has developed a tolerance for it such that he can smoke a truly impressive amount of ordinary Resin before feelings its effects) and combining substances with it to produce new highs to experience. He does seem to possess a curious knowledge of a wide number of things that no normal beggar would ever have the reason or means to know, including alchemy and some trade skills, but has never shown any talent of The Arts. He also has a curiously long-reaching reputation among the dregs of society, and wherever you can find places of ill-repute you can likely find someone who knows Junjie, most likely because of debt that he owes them. And finally it can be said with absolute certainty that he is gifted in the ways of war that no simple beggar should or even could be, especially when under a Resin-induced haze, and many a thief have thought him to be an easy mark only to find themselves flat on their backs before they even realize what happened.

Junjie fights like a man a fifth his age, and his style is as efficient as it is unpredictable. Having not known sobriety in only YISUN knows how long it's probable that not even Junjie himself what his next action will be from second to second, instead relying on instinct and muscle memory to guide him. With a body made hard as tempered steel over decades of hard living his limbs move lightning fast to parry blows and rain numerous retaliatory attacks of his own from bizarre angles. Often he ends his fights decisively by snapping arms or shins like twigs, shattering elbows or knees like cheap pottery, or forcefully wrenching arms and legs from sockets with contemptuous ease.

TL;DR: What if Snoop Dog and The Drunken Master had an awesome homeless kung-fu baby? Also that baby is an old asian man.

1. Who do you know in Throne who's played a major role in your story so far? Junjie met Meti once, or so he claims. They shared drinks and the pipe amongst themselves, enjoyed the other's company, and later a barrel to sleep it all off in. She cared little for Resin and he little for wine, but he saw it as a challenge to develop a Resin that his friend would enjoy. He has yet to be successful, or to meet the woman again.

2. Are you thriving in the Akrelan paradise, or do you chafe within it? If it fell, how would you, theoretically, stand to profit or lose? Junjie cares little for politics and recognizes no master save the siren call of Resin, but the relative prosperity the Akrelans have brought is not unnoticed or unappreciated by him. Still, the slums are both unchanging and in constant flux at all times, and the fall of "paradise" could bring new opportunities for him.

3. What was the last time you witnessed death? Not but a dozen days ago Junjie was returning to the abandoned shack he currently calls a home and witnessed a pair of Belligerent Knights accosting a beggar, a friend of his. The demanded his bowl of alms for no other reason than that they could. The beggar refused and the knights skewered him with their spears, laughing as they did so. Later, Junjie laughed as he left those knights broken, bloody, and stripped bare in the gutter.

4. Define royalty. "Royalty is meaningless, so why bother? Those who are obsessed with understanding it are never Royal themselves, and this is no coincidence."

5. Think of a clever title for the game thread. Make Six Thousand Posts

quote:

[Name] Junjie Ming-húa
[Archetype] The Beggar
[Race] Human (Take +1 to Query the Cosmos rolls about local news, folk legend, or word on the streets)

[Burning Will] Reach Heaven Through Smoking - Find the perfect combination of materials to produce the ultimate, unending high.
[Flaw] Addiction

[Body: +1 ] [Heat: +0 ] [Breath: +1 ] [Mind: -1 ] [Presence: +2 ]
[Damage Die: 2d6 ] [Stamina: 3/3 ] [Wounds: 3/3 ]
[Proficiencies: Improvised, Empty Hand (Stone-Splitting Lightning style)*, Pankration (Heaven-Grasping Earth style) ]

*Flourish: Gale Plucks Leaf From Branch When you roll a 4, you can disarm a target within range of something they are holding

[Gear] Shabby clothing, well worn traveling gear, two (2) doses of potent Resin "The Good Stuff", a smoking pipe "YISUN's Smile", a begging bowl , prayer beads, a religious text (never read).

[Moves]

Impossible Weapons
Anything you can use or pick up counts as a full weapon for you as long as it is not already a weapon, so you don’t have to make clumsy rolls when using it, and it deals full damage. You don’t have to be familiar with it, and can simply pick it up. The GM will determine its qualities.

Ways and Means
When you’re among small people (in the country or city) and need something from the lay of the land (choose 1: word on the streets, food, booze, supplies, help) roll +prs. On a 10-12, it comes to you, mostly intact, and probably a little dirty. On a 7-9 you get it, but in the process of getting it you are lead wildly astray.

Sparrow Mocks Dogs
When you make a Dominance move that humiliates someone, you can roll +presence instead of +heat. In addition, gain the following option when you roll a 7+:
  • Any ally that can see your target regains 2 stamina

Small Feet Make Small Paths
You can pass unnoticed as a local in most situations, even if someone is looking for you. In addition, when you roll Gather Power, you automatically get an offer from the local beggar’s guild for help. They won’t care if you decline, but they’ll probably play a few pranks on you.

Iron Scale
You have +1 armor as long as you have a hand free and are aware of the attack. You don’t get this armor against damage from a source you can’t see or are unaware of. In addition, your skin becomes as tough as iron - it is unable to be pierced by blade, arrow or bullet, and the only injuries you take are internal ones (you still take damage as normal).

quote:

Cormorant the Fisherman, neé the Killer, is known to Junjie, for they both seek the rare and the exotic in the wilds of Throne and beyond. Usually their encounters are coincidental happenstance, a brief meeting and acknowledgement between men and warriors. Rarely they have met to trade findings and information for their mutual benefit. Once, though, they allied to find and capture the dread beast Móushā Diyù Sha, an aquatic monstrosity locals told stories of to their unruly children to frighten them. Junjie prepared the bait from offal and sweetmeats best left unsaid, and Cormorant hooked the beast. Junjie split its scales using an oar and Cormorant pierced its heart with his lead-spitter. Junjie has definitely shared good times with Cormorant. (+1)

Varakyn is, in Junjie's eyes, the exact sort of person to never pay he and his brethren any mind. She carries herself with airs of arrogance and exudes the contemptible confidence of a religious fanatic. Worst of all Varakyn carries the stink of wealth around them. (-1)

Mangyi confuses Junjie. Another zealot of some god or ideal, but only a mere child and so a victim of the happenstance of her birth within a cult. Make no mistake, Junjie is not fool enough to deny the existence of the gods when he makes his home upon the bloated corpse of one, and he mutters a thousand prayers to a thousand gods before breaking fast. But belief strong enough to drive someone to maim themselves for no reason he can appreciate is incomprehensible and reprehensible to the old Beggar. Mangyi is to be pitied for her beliefs. (+0)

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 4, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poltergrift posted:

I'd say the latter; the copy I was working from didn't provide a rule for starting with an advanced move.

Got ya. I asked because for the Beggar Archetype on page 46 it says:

Advanced Moves posted:

At first level, when you gain a level from 2-5, choose from these moves:

Which I read as getting one at first level, and then an additional one each level thereafter.

In fact it says the same thing for every Archetype except The Refined, The Hunter, and The Hunger. I have no clue whether this is a typo or if those Archetypes are more powerful.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Well, I think I got at least one more mystic warrior poet left in me. I think I'll make a Master.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Who What Now posted:

In fact it says the same thing for every Archetype except The Refined, The Hunter, and The Hunger. I have no clue whether this is a typo or if those Archetypes are more powerful.

The way I see it, there's two possible reasons.

1) The Refined and Hunger get broadly useful starting moves about using the Art and are in theory powerful enough to not need another move, and the Hunter gets a bunch of school choices and doesn't need an advanced move to differentiate your human Hunter from everyone else's human Hunter.

2) They're just the last three classes on the list and someone just forgot to give them one. I'm less inclined to believe this one, just because there's been four iterations of the rules posted in this thread alone and you'd think that they would have noticed it by now.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Don't think I've got the time to join a new game right this instant, but it's definitely cool seeing somebody try and run Broken World online. Kill Six Billion Demons has a really fun setting. Hope everything works out for you!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Marak of the 47 Palms

I have walked a million pasts. I have been battered by a billion fists. I have beaten a trillion foes. But I am still incomplete. Long ago I surpassed the empty hand of my world. I broke through the wall of creation and entered the world of Throne. Little did I expect that shattering the walls of reality was only the first lesson in the use of my physical form to bridge spiritual worlds. The longer I have journeyed the more dissatisfied, the more determined that I draw ever closer to my goal. I will unite all the schools of empty hands and discover the form Yisun moved to strike his own nature. Only then will I find rest. For now I am search for the truth hidden in Throne's discipline of the 47 empty palms.

The head teacher at the dojo of the 47 Empty Palms was the one I first sought after I entered Throne. Since then I have ascended to just beneath him in the ranks of his art. I think he may worry about my progress but as I spread the fear of his style wherever I go he tolerates me.

The Akrelan's desire to learn as quickly as possible all the martial secrets of Throne. I have found myself hired to tutor many of the richest in the basics of the art but few have the stomach to actually pursue it to perfection. Still they pay the bills.

I watched as two of the Nobles I trained wished to practice the skills I had taught them in a death match. It was an embarrasing spectacle to me. Akin to watching newborn infants flutter their arms at each other over toys but their peers found it entertaining enough. One of them died shamefully and those seeking my services increased.

4. Define royalty.
Royalty is the mastering the form that cleaves the Universe.

If you meet God on the road, kill him

quote:

[Name] Marak
[Archetype] The Master
[Race] Human (Your reputation is such that you will never be refused lodging and rarely be refused assistance (though it may come in lackluster forms))

[Burning Will] To transcend the use of weaponry through uniting the different forms of unarmed combat.
[Flaw] Devotion

[Body: +1 ] [Heat: +0 ] [Breath: +1 ] [Mind: +2 ] [Presence: -1 ]
[Damage Die: 2d6 ] [Stamina: 3/3 ] [Wounds: 4/4 ]
[Proficiencies: Light Armor, but you’re just as good unarmored. Empty palm (Currently studying 47 Empty Palms)*, pankration, implement (A crystal Ball), stave]

* Flourish: When you roll a 4, your attack gains [forceful]

[Gear] A crystal ball, accoutrements and coinage worth 2 wealth, plain clothing, tools for tea ceremony, a puzzle box, gear (nobles)

[Moves]

Under my Tutelage
Dragon Pays Homage
Swat at Flies
Dragon Gazes in Mirror
Sublime Parry

When you Swat at Flies roll +mnd. On a 7+, you can throw or deflect the attack back to any enemy in range, dealing 1[ap] damage. If you roll a 10-12 or spend a power die, however, you deal the same damage (without [ap]) back as the attack that came at you - for example, if the damage was 4d6, you deal 4d6 damage back.

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!

There are a million names for war, and a billion words to curse it. A machine of blood, grinding its parts to mulch. A field that finds honor and beauty, as it ashens the skies. A laboratory for innovation, and a tool of regression. But in truth, war is a flame. It burns and crackles. It warms and lights. To know it, to be of it is to surrender yourself to truth. We are born of war. We starve for it. For all beings, it is never far from our minds. For what are we, if not flames?

quote:

[Name]: Cleon Alcibiades Flaminius Nepos (or Nepo for short)
[Archetype] The Hunger
[Race] Red Devil

[Burning Will] : To ignite world-wide conflict.
[Flaw] Power hungry

[Body: -1] [Heat: +1] [Breath: 0 ] [Mind: +2] [Presence: +1]
[Damage Die:
2d6] [Stamina: 1] [Wounds: 3]
[Proficiencies:
Implements, stave, empty hand, needle, knife, blade]

[Gear]
Nepo wears a stark single white robe, stained around the raised hood with red (Ascetic).On his waist,a deep crimson sash worn over a leather belt. On the belt, several vials of various liquids and herbs, a pouch that rattles and clinks, and a small obsidian bowl all hang from careful rings and slots.

On the small of his back, wrapped and held together with cord tied around his waist, is bound a pack, containing what one might need to live thoughtfully in Throne (urbanite's gear) and three books. Preem Vjardria's Dance With the Sun, by Yormedra Losk of Vorun, To Sing Voiceless and Tempt Fire From Its Hollow, by an author forgotten to time, and A Brief History of the Early Reign of the Conquering King, by Ciocie Cioelle Estrella Von Maximus the Third.

In his hand, as he walks, he holds a walking stick, his size, burned black in spots, and stained by ash.

[Moves]

Devil Hunger’s Boon
- When you use Dread Sorcery successfully, instead of a shade, you can choose to contact another Devil. You can treat a 7-9 as a 10-12 and ask the Devil one question, but the Devil isn’t bound to speak truthfully.

Pact
Your power and prestige comes from a pact or agreement with a patron. Choose 1 and detail: (A devil, a master, a powerful ruler). While your patron is happy with your exploits, you can comfortably ask them for a favor at the beginning of each session. If they are unhappy or not confident in your exploits, they’ll ask you instead. If you don’t fulfill this request in due time, lose your Dread Sorcery move until you find a new patron, and you incur the wrath of your old one.

Geomancy
When you have time (a respite or rest) and materials (alchemical substances, tallow, animal parts, charms), you can perform a dark ritual. Describe what kind of ritual you are performing to the GM. You could do any sort of ritual within the realm of reason - from summoning a dark creature, to resurrecting the dead, to spying remotely, to changing the weather (it still has to be ritual-like in nature).
It’ll always work, but the GM will tell you one to four of the following you need to do to get it accomplished.

- You and your group will risk danger from
- It’s going to take significant time (hours, days, weeks)
- It’s going to cost more in materials and money than expected
- You’ll need to first
- You’ll have to give up to do it
- You need help from
- You can’t fully accomplish it - only a lesser, more unreliable version

Dread Sorcery
You can wield the Art, the ability to bend the universe with your will.
When you wield your implement, speak words of power, and lie to the universe, choose
one of the following effects and roll +mind. On a 10-12, the effect takes place fully and
as you intend it, your will is made manifest.

- Pyromancy - Deal your damage as [area] to a target within [close/far] range. Your base damage becomes 3d6 for this move, and you choose the form of your pyromancy, whether it’s paper charms, writhing bolts of fire, floating blades, or lightning. It’s more intense than any Art you cast with your implement and doesn’t require reagents.

- Bind Shade - You pull a shade (a deceased soul) or creature from the void into contact with you, enough to speak with it. It could be a specific person, or generic. It is bound to answer one question truthfully, then the connection dissipates if it so wishes.

- Red Word- You curse a target that you can see. Until you rest or it dies, whenever that target takes damage, it takes +1 damage.

On a 7-9, your Art is successful, but (choose 1:)
- You are exposed to harm, danger, or retribution
- You can’t speak that particular Art again until you rest
- Take -1 ongoing to use your Dread Sorcery until you rest
On a miss, your art writhes catastrophically. Choose 1: You take 1[ap] damage from the
backlash, or deal 1[ap] damage to an ally in range from the backlash.

Strengthened Binding
When you bind a shade, if there are materials (ash, clay, or dead flesh) nearby, you can additionally bind it into the shape of a steed or a servant (choose) after or before you ask it your question. The servant is bound to follow your commands unthinkingly. It can carry items and perform simple tasks, but cannot fight. The steed will never tire and can at your option fly or swim. They collapse and are destroyed when you rest. You can have any number of shades, but while you have a bound shade, take -1 ongoing to Dread Sorcery rolls.

My master, my lord, and my progenitor I serve. Matrona exalted among the 13 whom watch Himself. It was not by her hand I was clasped with form, but by her will that I am. And by her will that I act. But who's will she bows to, I cannot say.

This story is but one of many fated to be seeded with bloodshed, and while mine in task, I find its...quaintness vexsome. But in its future sings the day of my ascension, and thus I will be diligent and revel in my coming duty.

This morning I saw a grove ripped from the ground to feed mills and forges, the many hands of industry once again feeding its maw.

4. Define royalty.
Royalty is the flame that burns itself, unending.

A Derivative Posting Notion

Kid Blink fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 21, 2016

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Maoka Flowseed

Maoka might, at first glance, be confused for a giant mop with a mostly-humanoid face attached, but only at first. Unless lost in contemplation of a piece, any number of prehensile limbs might emerge from under shawl-like organs, or those very shawls might coil and lengthen together, waving like the bristles of a giant paintbrush, for indeed, that is what they are.

Pigmenters, World-Painters, Color Dancers, the Servant Race Maoka hails from has many names. Painters of the Gods, they once were, and Painters of the elite they remain. The fires of Will merely smolder in many of them, although a few have sought larger things.

Maoka thought they were done with seeking, having already seen indolence, then fame, then vile delights and gore painting, and was content to repaint themself and transport themself every few years. When the stasis of the universe began to crack and shatter, so do did their own. No longer do they idle their days in a cycle of painting for themself then acquiring currency via client contracts, now they want to expand their horizons, expand their awareness, and find new things to explore and experience and revel in, the better to create their greatest creation of all. If Maoka must dabble in their old ways as a so-called Vile Pigmenter, so be it: anything for that great task.

Maoka Flowseed, the World-Painter (Servant)
Damage: 2d6
Stamina: (2+breath)
Wounds: 3
Weapon Proficiencies: Improvised, Empty Hand, Club

pre:
Body: +1    Pres: +2   Breath: 0   Heat: 1    Mind: -1
Servant: +1 to Bend Will rolls when acting to enrich myself.
Burning Will:To create a work of art that changes the universe
Flaw(0): To revel in excess and sensation.

Gear
Three bottles of questionable liquid: Astringent, two kinds of solvent,

Moves
Impossible Weapons: Anything is a weapon, GM describes properties.

Ways and Means: roll +pres to get help, info, or basic supplies

Sparrow Mocks Dogs: When you try to humiliate someone, roll +pres instead of +heat. Can heal 2 stamina to an ally as an option of 7+

Small Feet Make Small Paths: Can pass unnoticed as a local in most situations. When you Gather Power, the beggars guild will offer to help.

Mantra of Pedam, the Wanderer: Ignore the [group] tag, and your attacks against [group] targets are [pierce 1]

Wide Reputation (Expression): Your mastery extends to a non-martial arts field, and also demands respect. You can take +1 forward when you defeat someone in this skill. If that person was also a master, you can also mark experience. If someone disrespects your skill in this field, you can take +1 forward against them.

Flourishes:
Empty Hand: blind, silence, or cripple a target
Club: Crush or mangle the weapon or armor of your opponent

1. Who do you know in Throne who's played a major role in your story so far? Maoko's early career was mostly among courtesans and prostitutes, and they were famed for their ability to capture that liminality between youth and cynical maturity. Since Courtesans are nearly universal amongst the districts of Throne, Maoka has never wanted for an introduction to a new city. She occasionally trades letters with one of her first clients, who has risen to some power as a Madam in the Red City itself. Her last letter mentioned venturing forth for new talent and new opportunities.

2. Are you thriving in the Akrelan paradise, or do you chafe within it? If it fell, how would you, theoretically, stand to profit or lose? The brightness of trade Maoka has seen before, but the tales of a wild Key brings a new energy. That energy leaves Maoka too frenetic to paint for commission, but murals have been popping up on every third block, lately, and with a few visceral exceptions they are generally approved of. That approval could mean grand things for the eccentric, or at least a ready supply of fine pigments.

3. What was the last time you witnessed death? While working atop a roof, Maoka watched a prostitute be assaulted. By some stroke of luck, his cries gathered the attention of a passing hero. The resulting clash left both of them dead, and of their remains Maoka painted a grisly portrait of death come to the cruel and the unwary.

4. Define royalty. To paint that which is inviolate, imperishable, invulnerable, ineffable.

5. Think of a clever title for the game thread. Upon my Throne, suns shall bear my light.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 20, 2016

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Actually withdrawing that previous interest check, for reasons that aren't really worth talking about and wouldn't even need to be mentioned if I didn't make an interest post in the first place.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Just posting to say that all of the applications are great and I can easily see any of them appearing in the world!

Edit: except mine who would get cut in half in the background of a scene

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 20, 2016

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
This is an interest post, the current characters look great!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Remember, a group can't have more than one of the same Archetype, so look for ones that haven't been posted yet.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Remember, a group can't have more than one of the same Archetype, so look for ones that haven't been posted yet.

You know, that shows up in a lot of *World games, and I always wonder why. Why CAN'T the party have multiple Masters or Bosses or Hungers?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Birthday Oral posted:

You know, that shows up in a lot of *World games, and I always wonder why. Why CAN'T the party have multiple Masters or Bosses or Hungers?

Dilutes the story impact -- two instances of the Law play on the same core themes, so they're redundant in the narrative.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Mine could be redone as a Master or a Refined, if needed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A Master has been submitted, but not a Refined.

But chase your bliss, choose what you feel fits best.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Poltergrift posted:

Dilutes the story impact -- two instances of the Law play on the same core themes, so they're redundant in the narrative.

That makes sense - I guess I was looking at it too mechanically, in that you could play the same archetype and pick different moves and have a different experience, but imagine (for instance) a group full of Fateds, each striving for their destiny at the same time. Aaaawkward!

edit: Issue with version 1.4 - before, there were two Moves (Split the Earth and Shake Heaven) for melee and ranged, respectively. Now it looks like there's just one attack move (Reach Heaven Through Violence), though nothing in that implies ranged combat. The next Move, Dominance, says to use it "when you attempt a feat of extraordinary skill or finesse" which could maybe be a ranged attack, but again it doesn't mention anything about (for instance) reloading your weapon. Also throughout the text it still references Split the Earth and Shake Heaven :v:

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 21, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Birthday Oral posted:

That makes sense - I guess I was looking at it too mechanically, in that you could play the same archetype and pick different moves and have a different experience, but imagine (for instance) a group full of Fateds, each striving for their destiny at the same time. Aaaawkward!

edit: Issue with version 1.4 - before, there were two Moves (Split the Earth and Shake Heaven) for melee and ranged, respectively. Now it looks like there's just one attack move (Reach Heaven Through Violence), though nothing in that implies ranged combat. The next Move, Dominance, says to use it "when you attempt a feat of extraordinary skill or finesse" which could maybe be a ranged attack, but again it doesn't mention anything about (for instance) reloading your weapon. Also throughout the text it still references Split the Earth and Shake Heaven :v:

Reach Heaven Through Violence is how you attack and the weapon you use for it determines the ranges. [Loading] weapons need to be reloaded on a 7-9 before they can be used again. The document has accumulated a lot of typos, the play examples tend to use the old names of stats.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

akulanization posted:

Reach Heaven Through Violence is how you attack and the weapon you use for it determines the ranges. [Loading] weapons need to be reloaded on a 7-9 before they can be used again. The document has accumulated a lot of typos, the play examples tend to use the old names of stats.

I re-read that section again, and you're absolutely right - I just skipped over the sentence that specifically references reloading. With that in mind, I was thinking I'd change my stats, but on second (third?) thought I'll keep Heat as my highest for acrobatic antics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
(Very interested!)

• Locked thread