Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Just letting you all know: apps will be closed on Tuesday, October 25th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nobody has submitted a character for The Refined, The Law, The Hunter, or The Boss archetypes yet, so anyone still interested should look into those.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

[Name] Danbhala-Wedo Simbi Legba Vieux Gratteur Faust
[Archetype]The Boss
[Race] Gold Devil

[Burning Will] “I wish to gain a seat upon the council of thirteen. From there I can sit in safety and watch my plans and schemes come to fruition.”
[Flaw] Cowardice

[Body: -1] [Heat: +1] [Breath: 0 ] [Mind: +1] [Presence: +2]
[Damage Die: 3d6] [Stamina: 1/1] [Wounds:4/4]
[Proficiences: Light Armor, Club, Gun, Empty Hand]

[Gear]
Danbhala dresses in an ankle length, red robe (Fine Clothing) covered in arcane symbols. On his face he wears a small pair of glasses, though they provide no benefit to his sight. A preacher's hat sits on top of his head, and under the robe he wears a light chainmail. (Light Armor) He likes to let his gang do the heavy lifting, but when he's out and about a slim pack lets him carry books and a map of the Akrelan paradise. Any devil doing work for the council recognizes the pass Danbhala carries, and that's helped defuse one or two tense situations.

When things get physical he relies on his fine mace and his gang to do the talking. It's silver, with six flanges to deliver the pain.

[Moves]
Strength in Numbers
Danbhala has gathered around him several toughs of varying strengths and weaknesses. The Baoli Oni Club doesn't have the best reputation, but when you want something smuggled cheaply and quickly they're the ones you turn to. Their reputation points towards a group that's braver than they are smart. Each member wields a club, though none quite as fancy as the one Danbhala wields.

Devilish Enforce Will
Danbhala's sharp tongue allows him to keep his gang in line even when things are looking bad. In addition to +presence add +1 to rolls to calm the oni club, or persuade them into doing things dangerous, humiliating, or both.

Dirty Work
Danbhala can have his gang make Avoid Disaster roles in his stead, they do the work, you reap the reward, and dodge the heat.

Boss
Danbhala takes pride in being in charge of his knuckleheads, and enjoys the benefits of that pride. Once between rests for commanding a follower successfully he marks experience, takes pride in it, and gets +1 forward.

1. Who do you know in Throne who's played a major role in your story so far?
2. Are you thriving in the Akrelan paradise, or do you chafe within it? If it fell, how would you, theoretically, stand to profit or lose? By all means thriving, if it fell I would have to worry about the collapse of my nice little smuggling market. This key could mean problems, but claiming it myself would give me a massive step up towards the council.
3. What was the last time you witnessed death? Some blubberbrains fool thought they could cheat me and run. So when my gang caught up to him it was my pleasure to end the empty-head myself.
4. Define royalty. Royalty is safety at the top of the heap.
5. Think of a clever title for the game thread. We were on the edge of Paradise when the key kicked in.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Reminder that today is the last day to apply.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Prime Harbinger Varakyn Wanaktja

1,667th Doyen of the Heralds of the Weeping Blindness

Pree Nyane,

Per your request, I have engaged the services of a mercenary company using guild funds. Despite the scarcity of such, I was able to hire your first preference, the Iron Star Zealots. They shall be arriving via barge within the a week of this letter's posting.

I must, however, express concern over your choice. There is a new Prime Harbinger, and her demeanor worries me. Their old commander, Klii Tchaan, was displaced some time ago by one Varakyn Wanaktja. Within a few years of joining the Zealots she assassinated Uunak and took his place as Klii's right hand. When Klii later died in tavern brawl, she succeeding in securing the loyalty of company.

Unlike her predecessor, she is no simple mercenary. A far more refined and cunning individual. Rumor has it she was formerly a scholastic in service of Solomon David who went mad from the revelations of a particular banned codex. Or that she is the daughter of a warlord accountant who found religion. Regardless, she of course is destructive and grasping, as is appropriate for her station. But I sense that her ambition is more focused, and her approach to violence has a tinge of enlightenment worrisome in a sellsword.

Varakyn displays a talent for planning and a patience that is misleading, for the calm often presages sudden violence. You may scoff and say this is all typical, but I fear she is pursuing some hidden design. She may well be a true believer, though in what it is difficult to say. Be wary of her.

Preem Suldoun

---------------

On Practical Paradox, Codex III: Appendix of Useful Examples of Concepts Previously Discussed, Chapter CCCXXXI: Heralds of the Weeping Blindness - Venerable Scholastic Yot-Noyes-En [Excerpt]

In the age prior, for complex theopolitical reasons covered in prior volumes, Aesma cults proliferated. As ever with this particular confused heresy, it was proposed that Aesma was the true heir of YISUN, and destined to become the new supreme deity.

The Heralds of the Weeping Blindness believed that Aesma was destined to return when sight was restored to her eye - in their teaching, signified by the strange artifact atop Aesma's Spine known as the Iron Star bursting into flame. This would only occur when the universes were made sufficiently interesting to draw her attention. Unsurprisingly, they proposed that ever increasing chaos would accomplish this.

All of this is, of course, quite typical of Aesma cults. What makes this cult - often called the Iron Star Zealots - of interest is the decision of the 17th Doyen to embrace a paradox of the third order. It became a dogma that the Heralds could spread chaos further if they embraced stringent internal discipline, channeling their ambition and greed in a collective way.

The 17th Doyen shortly thereafter assassinated the Prime Harbinger and combined both offices. Her rule solidified the dogma, allowing the Heralds to outlast their age. They have achieved a lifespan quite unusual for an Aesma cult. In latter days, the Heralds have become a mercenary company of some repute in the outer rim. Passing years have eroded their theological purity - the fruit of exemplifying ignorance - but it still lingers at the core, making them potentially quite a bit more dangerous than most small mercenary companies.

---------------

1. Who do you know in Throne who's played a major role in your story so far?
Pree Nyane Russalkos von Zolleren, my ambitious sometimes employer and occasional adversary. A more grasping, amoral, greedy creature you will struggle to find, a truly great accomplishment in these times. An Assistant Vice Branch Manger of the Right Honorable and Steadfast Guild of Bankers, 2nd Branch, 3rd Iteration. Formerly a book-keeper of a rebel accounting sect on the outer rim, who betrayed her former friends at the precisely correct moment. Pree Nyane always has many plans in motion and need for violent individuals to carry them out. I only recently realized she has hired me only when my keeping faith brightens her reputation, and my breaking it tarnishes that of a rival.

Of all my enemies, I like Pree Nyane best. Of all my friends, I trust her the least. It's always a such a vexing pleasure to work with her.

2. Are you thriving in the Akrelan paradise, or do you chafe within it? If it fell, how would you, theoretically, stand to profit or lose?
All oddities are blessed in Aesma's eyes, but the novelty begins to wear thin. Too much chaos is bad for sellswords, since it brings a paucity of wealthy employers, but too much order is even worse. These Akrelans are a perfect opportunity, though - once the fighting proper begins, they won't go down quickly. Plenty of work for the likes of us. And even better, the longer they manage to defy the natural order of things, the further the disruption spreads. Perhaps far enough to put the flames of war to all of Throne. That, surely, would be worthy of the goddess' attention.

And if not, it will be quite profitable.

3. What was the last time you witnessed death?
At breakfast. Inot-no choked on a fish bone. His face turned purple and his eyes bulged as he clawed at his own neck, feeling his life ebbing. He had survived six and ten death duels that I know of, as many pitched battles. Yet he was to be felled by his repast, by a sliver of bone little bigger than a finger nail.

And then he finally managed to cough and hacked it up onto the table. At which point he drew his mace and beat his file-second Olan Lar's brains to mush on the spot, having seen Olan hold back the rest of the file. The unfortunate had sensed a chance to improve his position within the Zealots, but his gamble had turned against him.

I commended Inot-no for maintaining discipline, and then had him hung by his toes for the day as punishment for disturbing the company's mess.

Such is the paradox of command.

4. Define royalty.
Royalty is whatever it needs to be at a particular moment, and has always been that particular thing, and nothing else. All other accounts are lies. Especially the true ones.

5. Think of a clever title for the game thread.
Take Up the Flaming Sword

Character Sheet posted:

Name: Prime Harbinger Varakyn Wanaktja, 1,667th Doyen of the Heralds of the Weeping Blindness
Archetype: The Boss
Race: Human - Your gang is tight knit. Take a +1 to defy fate rolls, but a gang member sacrifices themselves for you if you succeed.
Proficiencies: Light armor. Empty hand, blade, knife.
Damage Die: 3d6 (2d6+1d6 with the [group] tag) for your gang, 2d6 for you when solo

Statistics
Body+1, Heat-1, Breath+0, Mind+1, Presence+2

Stamina: 1
Wounds: 4

Burning Will: Forge a kingdom in fire and blood.
Flaw: Zealot

Gear:
Wealth: 6
Nightclaw (sword); fine clothing; The Burning Eye (mark of power, accoutrements)

Moves:
Diamonds of the Rough: Choose 2 - Brawny, Tough, Shifty, Quick-fingered, Fast Talkers, Erudite, Info merchants. Your gang always has a couple of guys that fit this description. Take +1 on the roll when they do your Dirty Work for you when their expertise would fit the description. You can take on new guys and choose different options when you rest.

Strength in Numbers
You are the leader of a gang of about 10 to 15 lackeys of questionable morality. Detail your gang and its members to your GM and name it.

Think about your gang as an extension of yourself, a weapon or tool that you use in combat and other situations. You fight and act together with your gang in most cases. Members of your gang can separate out and perform tasks for you, but when they do, they are handled much like other npcs. Similarly, you can separate from your gang, but can’t command them effectively if you do. The rule is, as long as you’re together, you deal damage and take damage as one unit, using your gang’s statline.

Your gang fights with a motley assortment of weaponry and styles that count as 2d6 damage die with the [group] tag (3d6 against non-groups). They might even all fight with the same weapon as you (there’s a reason they call them the Axe Gang). Decide what weapons they have. When fighting with your gang, you use their damage die. If you’re separate from your gang and are not fighting with them and commanding them, you can choose different targets.

Similarly, when your gang takes damage, you take the same amount of damage if you’re leading them or with them. Your gang has the [group] tag, so it takes -1 damage from non-groups, which carries over to you as long as you're fighting with your gang. If you’re completely separate from them, you don’t take the damage they take, and also don’t benefit from the [group] tag when you take damage separately.

Your gang has the [group] tag, 4 wounds, 2 stamina, 1 armor, and follows the rules for groups taking damage (after armor and reductions), which are detailed in the GM section on pg 108. Here’s how it works for you:
  • 1 damage - Light casualties, wounds
  • 2 damage - Significant damage, maybe a few deaths. Group starts to flag or waver
  • 3 damage - Heavy casualties. You’ll need to make an Enforce Will check to keep your group fighting, or they’ll split
  • until the fight is over
  • 4 damage - Massive casualties, only a few survivors left
Keep track of the damage taken in a fight - you’ll still need to make an Enforce Will check if you take 3 or more damage over the course of the fight, even if some of that damage is healed.

Remember, when your gang takes damage in combat, your lackeys will get wounded and you’ll occasionally lose a guy or two. That’s ok - you’ll just need to pour one out and recruit more. If your gang gets wiped it, it’s possible to recruit a new one when you visit a populated area.

Your gang regains stamina over a respite, like player characters, and can heal wounds during a rest like a player character.

Enforce Will
When calming your gang (such as when they take casualties) or ordering your gang into a situation that they don’t want to do (dangerous or one-sided combat, doing personal tasks for you, performing dangerous, stupid, or humiliating tasks), make a roll with +presence. On a 10-12, they listen and suck it up. On a 7-9, they will need some extra convincing (such as wealth, assurances, leading by example, etc) but will generally do what you want them to, and on a 2-6, they openly disrespect or challenge your authority (though you’re still the Boss).

Your lackeys won’t do anything suicidal or insane!

Dirty Work
When you’re having your gang do your Dirty Work, you can make any Avoid Disaster rolls by having them do it instead. They bear the brunt of any harm or consequences as a result.

The GM may decide to have you make an enforce will roll if the work is especially odious, or to keep control of things if it doesn’t turn out well for them. If you miss it, take -1 ongoing until you rest and your gang can get over it.

Iron Star Zealots
Heralds of the Weeping Blindness
Good At: Mercenary work
Lacks: Brains

Damage Die: 2d6 [group]

Stamina: 2
Wounds: 4
Armor: 1

Gear: Swords, spears, and axes; plain clothing; warrior's gear (all weather boots, field rations, iron bowl, whetstone, oilcloth, ragged cloak, foldable shelter, trench shovel, well-worn pack, harness, helm, compass, field maps)

Bonds
TBD

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 7, 2016

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

YS-Voya having guided my hand via a pigeon hitting me while I was on my bike, triggering a revelation and a mild concussion, I submit to you our protagonists, drunk on power and Burning Will to the last:

Cormorant, Fisherman of the Once-Pure Waters, the Fury, portrayed by Birthday Oral,
Cleon Alcibiades Flaminius Nepos, Transcendent Warmonger Pyromaniac, the Hunger, portrayed by Kid Blink,
Mangyi of the Seven Sunderings, Eyeless Warrior Seeking Completion, the Fated, portrayed by K Prime,
Junjie Ming-húa, Father of Resin and Smoking Emperor, the Beggar, portrayed by Who What Now,
and Prime Harbinger Varakyn Wanaktja, Herald of Aesma the Bloody, the Boss, portrayed by Comrade Gorbash.

Start working out your bonds, so they can be tested.

K Prime, I believe I understand Mangyi's Destiny -- to be sundered seven times at the hands of skilled warriors, and, ritually prepared, to meet the one who is deserving of her service. Any more context, detail, etc. you'd want to provide, or have I grasped the essence of the culmination of your Burning Will?
Kid Blink, a little more meat on Matrona's bones would be appreciated -- particular mannerisms, a seeming agenda or lack of said, etc., etc.
Who What Now, you're working off a slightly outdated copy of the Beggar's moves -- Small Feet Make Small Paths, for example, is one update out of date.

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!
:woop:

I’ve watched for Varakyn Wanaktja some time. They may not know about it. (+1) But I doubt it. The militant is clever, and more immediately, skilled. I did little to hide myself besides the norm, and from my passings, I can see she is not so vain as to stay without watchful eyes. I will say, her unrelenting quashing of the Torgil uprising was a thing of untouchable professionalism. I would be tempted to elicit her services if I had the means. Or if I believed I could outbid her current employer. I suspect I will need to do little to entice her to support my own endeavor. Aesma's faithful often seek the same ends I do. And more desirably, often by the same means.

Vanity is its own undoing. But strength comes in all forms, and I would be remiss not to acknowledge a threat when it presents itself. I do not need competing intestest blossoming on my battlefield, and patience may defeat me more than brawn. I have spoken to him once now, but cannot gleam his purpose here, nor the scope of his ability. But to fish in Throne is a feat of few, and a fisherman makes his life's work of entrapping those at the bottom of things. He may lure me out if I leave him be. For certain though, Cormorant will only meddle in my business (-1)

Poltergrift posted:

Kid Blink, a little more meat on Matrona's bones would be appreciated -- particular mannerisms, a seeming agenda or lack of said, etc., etc.

Matrona, 8th of the 13, mother of struggle and binder of himself, is, like so many devils, primarily interested in wresting the stolen secrets of the devils back from the new gods themselves. Her philosophy on how to accomplish this, however, has been warped somewhat by the affectation she has worn over the centuries. She likes to play at the idea that she is the "mother" of masked devils, "birthing" them from the untamed flame by way of surrogates and power-seekers. This is of course, a pretense. She is in truth a petty and vindictive devil, easily slighted and catastrophic in her wroth (Think cooing and assurances juxtaposed with flashes of a terrible violent temper.). She will as often take offense to slights on her "children" to grisly vengeance as those by her "children". In her profound wisdom, she has determined that the most expedient and fulfilling route to her dual goals is to entice those caught in the madness of war into striking deals with the flame, and masking devils by her circuitous will. To this endeavor, she has sent her capable and multitudinous children across the multiverse to seed conflict wherever they may travel, in hopes of driving those with power and the means towards desperation. Her machinations have at times run perilously close to being noticed by the 7, but thus far, she has been beneath their notice. Or has she?

Feel free to take Matrona and her ilk wherever you think would be interesting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poltergrift posted:

Who What Now, you're working off a slightly outdated copy of the Beggar's moves -- Small Feet Make Small Paths, for example, is one update out of date.

All my moves are directly copy-pasted from ver. 1.4 of the rules. Is ver. 1.5 out?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Who What Now posted:

All my moves are directly copy-pasted from ver. 1.4 of the rules. Is ver. 1.5 out?

...in my defense, it was 3 AM when I made that post

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

I'm unfamiliar with Nepo, but I don't like her. I've known too many other Devils of all stripes, and I know her type. She's a bought and willing slave, an owned woman, and she likes it. I can't abide people like that. Whatever armour they build up around themselves, whatever trappings of power they may accrue, they're hollow. I look at her stained and ominous robes, at her fearsome mask, and I see a dog in man's clothing. (-1)

I've seen Mangyi fight before, once. I had been trying in vain to sell a meagre catch when she and a gaggle of pursuers had burst through a doorway. She ended them with contemptuous ease and vanished into the crowd. I feast on the world with my eyes - a fisherman must ever be vigilant for the motions of his prey - and seeing her pass effortlessly through the motions of the famed Sundering Sword Style was a most sumptuous banquet. I relish the chance to watch her again. (+1)

(I'll probably be redoing the art for Cormorant over the next few days, and potentially I'll try my hand at some of the others, too. Especially once the game starts rolling and I get a better feel for the characters.)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 29, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Cormorant the Fisherman, neé the Killer, is known to Junjie, for they both seek the rare and the exotic in the wilds of Throne and beyond. Usually their encounters are coincidental happenstance, a brief meeting and acknowledgement between men and warriors. Rarely they have met to trade findings and information for their mutual benefit. Once, though, they allied to find and capture the dread beast Móushā Diyù Sha, an aquatic monstrosity locals told stories of to their unruly children to frighten them. Junjie prepared the bait from offal and sweetmeats best left unsaid, and Cormorant hooked the creature. Junjie split its scales using an oar and Cormorant pierced its heart with his lead-spitter. Junjie has definitely shared good times with Cormorant. (+1)

Varakyn is, in Junjie's eyes, the exact sort of person to never pay he and his brethren any mind. She carries herself with airs of arrogance and exudes the contemptible confidence of a religious fanatic. Worst of all Varakyn carries the stink of wealth around them. (-1)

Mangyi confuses Junjie. Another zealot of some god or ideal, but only a mere child and so a victim of the happenstance of her birth within a cult. Make no mistake, Junjie is not fool enough to deny the existence of the gods when he makes his home upon the bloated corpse of one, and he mutters a thousand prayers to a thousand gods before breaking fast. But belief strong enough to drive someone to maim themselves for no reason he can appreciate is incomprehensible and reprehensible to the old Beggar. Mangyi is to be pitied for her beliefs. (+0)

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 25, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

K Prime, I believe I understand Mangyi's Destiny -- to be sundered seven times at the hands of skilled warriors, and, ritually prepared, to meet the one who is deserving of her service. Any more context, detail, etc. you'd want to provide, or have I grasped the essence of the culmination of your Burning Will?

Technically, she only needs to be sundered 4 times by skilled warriors. She's done one already and the last two are hers.

Junjie has helped me when I was down before (+1)
I was despairing of ever finding anyone worthy in this wretched place when I happened upon him having a quiet smoke in the corner.
He told me that "Life has full years, and fallow ones. Tomorrow, we may all die." I found this very reassuring.

I don’t know much about Comorant and I should find out more before I trust them (-1)
Who fishes in this place except one with something to hide, and an excuse for long disappearances to solitude?

Varakyn seems to have their own destiny. I should ask them about it (+0)
Perhaps a less defined one than mine, but she seeks a path. Her manner shows it. The question is, will she find it, or will it find her?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Incidentally, writing and reading all your guys' stuff made me bite the bullet and support the KSBD patreon. It's awesome, incidentally.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Junjie knows the rules of the underworld well (+1)
And chooses to ignore them regularly. Ku Llom and her file sought to roust him once, for their own amusement and the coin Osta-Al-RESA offered for every beggar driven from the Red Bazaar. They returned bruised and intoxicated. I must admire a man who treats his foes and fights his friends.

My gang and I have had a bad run in with Nepos before (-1)
In Ginnun-Hyup several years ago, we were under contract with the Golden Sisterhood of Barbers and Chirurgeons during the Seamstress Revolt. We raided a safehouse we thought belonged to the Rightly Esteemed Company of Florists. Instead it was the lair of a sorceress, and we had entered during the midst of some dark ritual. When the red haze lifted from our eyes, we had put half the fortress-salon to the torch and slaughtered many of our employers, their foes, and the peacekeeping force sent by the Venerable Band of Milliners. Suffice to say, we were obliged to depart without our pay and the greater portion of our baggage.

I’d be glad to induct Mangyi into my operation (+0)
A warrior who sees victory as defeat, and seeks personal destruction by destroying her foes. I believe she would feel at home in our number.

I purchased a rare fish from Comorant once (+0)
It tasted delicious, but gave me the runs for three days. I will have vengeance.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Thread should be up either tomorrow or the day after.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Double posting to say it's 2 AM and thus technically tomorrow.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I am awake and consta F5-ing, and here is my reward. Hail the new flesh!

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

you KEEP IT A SECRET!
Hey Birthday Opal, how do I link my character post like you did in the ic thread?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Kid Blink posted:

Hey Birthday Opal, how do I link my character post like you did in the ic thread?

Click on the # button on the bottom left of your post, then copy down the Url from your browser's address bar.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

You probably know, but just as a heads-up: Cormorant is confronting Defiant here.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Poltergrift posted:

You probably know, but just as a heads-up: Cormorant is confronting Defiant here.

oh my god i didn't catch that at all I need to make sure to read everyone's posts

Y-yeah I totally knew that and won't have to edit my post to make sure it makes narrative sense in context.

edit: Alright, I made myself out to be a little less clueless.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 29, 2016

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Gorbash, Oral, assuming I can let you two play off of each other for a bit and posting prompts for the rest.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm good with that, feel free to explode something if we start getting boring (probably won't happen tho).

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm good with that, feel free to explode something if we start getting boring (probably won't happen tho).

Prepare yourself for riveting philosophical debates with someone who is ill-equipped for philosophical debates and who would rather be fishing but got roped into doing a job interview!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Who What Now, Pry Secrets is based on Mind, not Presence; were you thinking of a different move?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yes, I was thinking of Bend Will. I updated my post.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sorry for being a bit slow. Very busy week and my desktop decided to die on me last Thurs and I just got it back to 100% today.

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

you KEEP IT A SECRET!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Sorry for being a bit slow.

Same. Its not intentional. I've been studying for my pharmacy technician exam (tomorrow, wish me luck) and between the job and the studying I've been distracted.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Not that it matters to anyone but me BUT I updated Cormorant's artwork in my character post! If anyone wants custom art for their dude(ette) I'd be willing to take a crack at it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Birthday Oral posted:

Not that it matters to anyone but me BUT I updated Cormorant's artwork in my character post! If anyone wants custom art for their dude(ette) I'd be willing to take a crack at it.

Very nice! If you're willing to draw up Junjie it'd be most appreciated.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Very nice! If you're willing to draw up Junjie it'd be most appreciated.

Sure! Try this on for size:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Kid Blink posted:

A quick flourish, and what remained of of the liquid magic floating between him and Nepos launches itself at him, igniting him and setting in to burn (Damage 12).

First of all, badass post. Second of all, in Broken World you deal 1 damage on a 2-5 roll and 2 damage on a 6, so you actually dealt 3 damage here. 12 damage in this system is equivalent to a planet hitting you.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Birthday Oral posted:

First of all, badass post. Second of all, in Broken World you deal 1 damage on a 2-5 roll and 2 damage on a 6, so you actually dealt 3 damage here. 12 damage in this system is equivalent to a planet hitting you.

You also need to pick one of the 7-9 options for Dread Sorcery.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Poltergrift posted:

I think they did - she mentioned not being 'able to Lie as convincingly until a repose'.

Edit: Also - Cleon is a he in their character creation post. Not that gender means anything to Devils, of course, but it confused me in their first post. All in all its pretty true to KSBD to have a mostly female party!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 4, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Birthday Oral posted:

Sure! Try this on for size:

:neckbeard:

Nobody has ever done fanart of one of my characters before, thank you! I'll edit it into my post immediately.

Also, Kid Blink's orokos links go to 404's for me.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Who What Now posted:

:neckbeard:

Nobody has ever done fanart of one of my characters before, thank you! I'll edit it into my post immediately.
No problem, it's fun! Junjie has really strong characterization - I love old drug dealer Jackie Chan

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

you KEEP IT A SECRET!

Birthday Oral posted:

Cheers! Good to know! I've edited my post accordingly. I do hope that there is some contrivance for us to see a 12 damage hit at some point in the game. I hesistate to ask for art, simply because I think that what I've got now does a pretty fair job of representation, but if everyone asks, maybe do mine last please?

Poltergrift posted:

Birthday Oral posted:

I think they did - she mentioned not being 'able to Lie as convincingly until a repose'.

Edit: Also - Cleon is a he in their character creation post. Not that gender means anything to Devils, of course, but it confused me in their first post. All in all its pretty true to KSBD to have a mostly female party!

Birthday Oral is correct. I did mean for it to be that they cannot use dread sorcery until they rest. I will be more explicit in the future (at least in the description of my action. )

In regards to Cleon's gender, the reason for the incongruity is a bit of writing laziness and source ambiguity. See, technically the devils are the black daughters of Yis and inherently female. But as we know from white chain gender is not exactly hard and fast in the KSBD universe. Similarly, Dhuutholmel is mentioned as Cio's "boyfriend" when asked who he is, even though he is a red devil. When I had initially wrote Cleon, I was doing so with Dhuutholmel as a reference and not really considering the whole "Black daughters of Yis" thing. Ergo, since its easier for me personally, I defaulted to writing with male pronouns. However, I never actually intended for Cleon to identify as either gender, and actually wrote my entire first two posts using "they" and "them" pronouns. But that quickly proved confusing and requiring way too many proper pronouns. I had intended for the fact she address herself as "she" and "he" to indicate ambiguity, but I realize now that it's just confusing. So, in short, I will continue to use female pronouns, but Cleon herself would probably say she is neither, if leaning more towards what are traditionally considered "masculine" traits. A somewhat disinterested inverse of White Chain. I hope that explains it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Kid Blink posted:

I hesistate to ask for art, simply because I think that what I've got now does a pretty fair job of representation, but if everyone asks, maybe do mine last please?
Working on Mangyi next (though I haven't been asked!) so I may as well keep working through humans until I get back to devils! I agree that picture gives a good impression of Cleon, so I'll heavily base it on that.

Kid Blink posted:

In regards to Cleon's gender, the reason for the incongruity is a bit of writing laziness and source ambiguity. See, technically the devils are the black daughters of Yis and inherently female. But as we know from white chain gender is not exactly hard and fast in the KSBD universe. Similarly, Dhuutholmel is mentioned as Cio's "boyfriend" when asked who he is, even though he is a red devil. When I had initially wrote Cleon, I was doing so with Dhuutholmel as a reference and not really considering the whole "Black daughters of Yis" thing. Ergo, since its easier for me personally, I defaulted to writing with male pronouns. However, I never actually intended for Cleon to identify as either gender, and actually wrote my entire first two posts using "they" and "them" pronouns. But that quickly proved confusing and requiring way too many proper pronouns. I had intended for the fact she address herself as "she" and "he" to indicate ambiguity, but I realize now that it's just confusing. So, in short, I will continue to use female pronouns, but Cleon herself would probably say she is neither, if leaning more towards what are traditionally considered "masculine" traits. A somewhat disinterested inverse of White Chain. I hope that explains it.
Yeah, I actually figured as much. In the comic, all Blue Devils we've seen have been female, while Crimson Devils have arguably shown both. I bet it has to do with the individual devil's mask, but yeah, realistically sex and gender isn't applicable to creatures that don't reproduce or have a need for sexual distinction. Cormorant is male because he feels like being male, but I suspect in the distant past he's probably passed through a few different colours and genders and hobbies.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I have a list of Zealots I did up. I have fifteen names, which is the high end of the gang size, but it seemed right and probably won't stay that large.

The Iron Star Zealots
The Zealots' uniform consists of gray trousers tucked into black jackboots, tied at the waist with a black sash, a gray tunic shirt, and dark mesh armor. Zealots wear one of two variations over the armor: 1) a short black jacket topped by a heavy red sash going from shoulder to hip, tied on the opposite side of the black sash, 2) a double breasted, un-dyed heavy leather coat with hood and a red scarf or stole.

A black iron seven pointed star is worn as a badge on the left shoulder, attached to the red sash or the leather coat. A leather baldric for weapons is included in either case. Zealots wear warpaint with a black horizontal bar across their eyes. Seconds have a red bar instead, and File Primes have the red bar and also paint their foreheads black. A fair bit of personalization is tolerated (for example, Defiant has cut the sleeves off leather coat, tunic, and mesh to show off her arm tattoos).

The Prime and Second Harbingers wear what they please.

Varakyn Wanaktja, Prime Harbinger and 1,667th Doyen of the Heralds of the Weeping Blindness

Ioahan, Second Harbinger and Secret Keeper: A very large and very stoic bug-man; Varakyn's bodyguard.

Piorit, File Prime: Mute, speaks in sign - and this often, very focused.
& his file:
  • Ussus, Piorit's second: A skilled scout
  • Defiant: A wiry tattooed woman with sharpened teeth and a love of mayhem
  • Morning's Eye
  • Tlal Ptha

Yota Wartooth, File Prime: Former officer in Soloman David's armies, most devout of the Zealots.
& her file:
  • First, Yota's second: Rarely speaks, good with a spear.
  • Bloody Tiger
  • Tian
  • Rashel

Inot-no, File Prime: Almost choked to death on a fishbone this morning, currently being punished.
& his file:
  • Ku Llom, Inot-no's second: Took over since Olan Lar died.
  • Big Thumb Vant: A chubby man with strange luck and little sense.
  • Arjun
  • Olan Lar: As of breakfast, a corpse.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Big Thumb Vant

I'm suddenly very curious.

• Locked thread