Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Channel Zero: Candle Cove is the first season of Syfy's new horror anthology series Channel Zero. Greenlit for two six-episode seasons, each season is planned to be based on a different creepypasta, which honestly sounds dumb at first, but it was different enough to get me interested. This season is based on Candle Cove, a 2009 story by Kris Straub revolving around a mysterious and disturbing children's show. The first episode is basically the entirety of this story as written, so there's a lot of expansion being done.

The series follows child psychologist Mike Painter (Paul Schneider), who is drawn to his childhood town to investigate the late 80s disappearance of several children, including his twin brother, and its connection to a children's show that aired for two months that year. When there, he finds that the events from the 80s may be repeating themselves, as Candle Cove has started appearing on the airwaves again.

Also there is a child made out of teeth. Dunno what the deal with that is yet.

Despite being both a Syfy show and a show based on a creepypasta, Channel Zero's been quite good so far. It's got kind of a Silent Hill feeling, down to some weirdly stilted acting at times, and the practical effects are quite effective. I'm interested in seeing where they take the premise, and at only six episodes, it probably won't get bloated and overlong like some certain other horror anthology series might.

Channel Zero airs Tuesdays at 9 ET on Syfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Promos and Trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3GPQvNfZd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAuZwWMEAdM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0t9pCnRW4o

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm really excited with it so far. The guy who left early in Parks & Rec is the star and it's like, wow, he's really good here, which surprises me a lot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been enjoying it so far. I like that because it is a shorter anthology they can just do whatever they want. Like the second episode twist that he killed his own brother. Most likely because his brother was the one killing the other kids.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Waffleman_ posted:

Despite being both a Syfy show and a show based on a creepypasta, Channel Zero's been quite good so far. It's got kind of a Silent Hill feeling, down to some weirdly stilted acting at times, and the practical effects are quite effective. I'm interested in seeing where they take the premise, and at only six episodes, it probably won't get bloated and overlong like some certain other horror anthology series might.

I kinda like the stilted acting, it gives everything an air of wrongness about the town and the people in it. Meanwhile the show in general is surprisingly good at making me wonder when the other shoe is going to drop

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DarklyDreaming posted:

I kinda like the stilted acting, it gives everything an air of wrongness about the town and the people in it. Meanwhile the show in general is surprisingly good at making me wonder when the other shoe is going to drop

The original author of Candle Cove did another story in a collection about a haunted town involving a new development that was, like, "haunted by emptyness". They missed out on setting the show in Ichor Falls, but I guess that name would have been seen as too on the nose.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

WickedHate posted:

The original author of Candle Cove did another story in a collection about a haunted town involving a new development that was, like, "haunted by emptyness". They missed out on setting the show in Ichor Falls, but I guess that name would have been seen as too on the nose.

That reminds me.

Everyone should watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw_HKzo9Ync
This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV0I-iA5lJU
And this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyknT4uchM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

spooky like this! posted:

I've been enjoying it so far. I like that because it is a shorter anthology they can just do whatever they want. Like the second episode twist that he killed his own brother. Most likely because his brother was the one killing the other kids.

Yeah, like, in a 12-episode series, that would have been like episode 5 or 6, but here we get right to it so we can explore the implications.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Local 58 is one of my favorite YouTube things, and I wish the guy who makes them had a dedicated channel, where he just cranked 2 or 3 new videos out per month.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
There's a whole lot going on under the hood with this show. The acting and dialogue seem to get way less stiff when poo poo gets weird--it makes the whole thing jarring, like you're watching two different shows in the same show. I couldn't give you specifics on lens sizes or whatever, but everything's filmed in like... the wrong ratio. Stuff feels skewed and claustrophobic. Tense music rises and falls during totally mundane conversations, so it feels like nothing is safe, and that rolls in with the weird hallucinations/dreams coming and going with no warning. My boss at work also swears he could hear the tooth monster's clicking noises in scenes where it doesn't show up. Like, in normal, not-otherwise-freaky scenes, but only when he turned the sound way up.

poo poo's good, yo.

Also, word is the second season is going to be based on The No-End House.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Also, word is the second season is going to be based on The No-End House.

I heard that too and I'm a little weary about it.

I mean I hesitate to call a story where the protagonist finds their family carved up into a dozen little pieces with blood everywhere subtle or nuanced, but that story is scary because it goes into detail about the weird feelings the protagonist gets, like seeing two separate things in the exact same place or what their instincts are telling them about each room and I feel like that would be hard to translate into a visual medium.

Then again I just praised this show's great use of oppressive atmosphere so I would be very happy to be wrong

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One thing I do know is they better show the goddamn screaming episode. Candle Cove itself could stand to be a bit scarier, but I imagine it'll move up to that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah i was prepared to hate this but i was pleasantly surprised. The obvious twist that he killed his bro telegraphed in episode one (once it was established that the protag did not hallucinate his twin brother) was what I expect to be the ULTIMATE TWIST, but it not only was revealed in the second episode they also made it weirder by revealing someone dug his body up for weird ritual poo poo

also yes they better give us that loving screaming episode

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I dunno if the screaming is necessary anymore. It's sort of needed in the original to tip it over from scary children's show to "definitely some paranormal bullshit" but they're already establishing the creepiness in other, more subtle ways. I kind of wish they didn't filter stuff over other stuff so much, it doesn't feel real.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I love how unsettling it is whenever we see the puppets in real life. Really feels off.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

alright episode 2 has sold me

"ever think about that? every time you smile you're showing off your skeleton?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

I love how unsettling it is whenever we see the puppets in real life. Really feels off.

Fuckin' Horace, man.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
This show is really loving good and I hope that the rest of this season keeps it up and that the future season(s) can match it because honestly this has been pretty loving amazing so far.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I really hope the theme song is She Watch Channel Zero by Public Enemy to combine my favorite creepypasta and one of my favorite rap groups.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RoboCicero posted:

I legit had a nightmare about the penis looking thing just chilling in my room like it did on the show. That poo poo is nightmares juice.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Amazing show so far. I'm so glad Syfy's really knocking it out of the park with their TV programs over the last few years

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In Canada so I'm watching on Showcase instead of Netflix, apparently, but the first episode felt a lot like that bit in Mulholland Drive, with the two guys at the diner. That sort of nightmare playing itself out thing.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
While I am enjoying this and wanting to see where it goes, it just didn't feel like a whole lot happened in the second episode. Just the dead bro revelation, mustache pirate, and feeding Toothie; I guess I'm just curious how they stretch this idea out for the entire season and not just have the Parks & Rec guy ambling around slowly...which is what I'm assuming it's going to be?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 24, 2016

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
the season is only 6 episodes

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
It took a little bit for me to get over the show starring Proto-Ben from Parks and Rec but I think it has some potential. My wife declared it was too creepy for her and she probably doesn't watch anymore so I guess I'm on my own from here on out. Really happy with the effort Syfy put into this one.

It'd probably be a bit too similar to Candle Cove, but I hope they tackle The Afterpeople someday. That one stuck with me for a long time.

"A meat!"

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Could you imagine if they adapted something like Instruction For a Thing? Not sure how you could stretch it out for more than three episodes, but it would be nuts.

Also, the guy who made his own Candle Cove, did he remind anyone else of Vincent D'Onofrio or the killer from True Detective s1?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's time to go....

INSIDE!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ohhh goddd. That sure is loving creepy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh poo poo they namedropped the Skintaker!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if there's going to be a whole twist where he isn't Mike but is actually Eddie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's the baby! Gotta love it!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JESUS

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Did I miss the significance of the box of mushrooms? What was that about?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Did I miss the significance of the box of mushrooms? What was that about?

Those were teeth, I believe.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The child acting continues to be dreadful, but to be perfectly fair, that's the norm with child actors. Other than that I'm straight up obsessed with this show, I love it.

So, I'm starting to think that the Tooth Child might be Jawbone/The Skin-Taker? They both make the rattling sound and there was a point made of teeth being bones and that every time you smile you're "showing off your skeleton". Maybe it's a baby Skin-Taker that hasn't evolved to a full skeleton yet and this is how Skin-Takers reproduce?

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 26, 2016

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Not sure where this show is going to take us but it's a fun ride. I think a six episode arc is really good because I could see this getting tired after a while.

Thread title request: "Want to see something cool?"

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That or 'Mike Painter Ain't Nothing To gently caress With'

Was the mother's dream the first time anyone's done the typical 'jump up from a nightmare' thing? All of the other dream sequences so far have ended with a scene transition of some kind. Then again, if Mike's been having these kind of dreams for 30+ years now, he probably expects it by now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I clicked on this assuming someone was making a 'remember Candle Cove, guys?' thread, and wow, this sounds kind of amazing.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Justin_Brett posted:

I clicked on this assuming someone was making a 'remember Candle Cove, guys?' thread, and wow, this sounds kind of amazing.

I wouldn't call it a new horror classic but it's way better than it has any right to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, I don't know quite what they are going for as a whole, but they've nailed being unsettlingly creepily ambient through most of the scenes.

• Locked thread