Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When I first saw this promo'd on Youtube I was "Wow they're so out of ideas they're just adapting creepypastas?" then i went back to reread Candle Cove and remembered it was one of the better CPs. It doesn't have the word photorealistic anywhere in it, and doesn't rely on 2spooky photoshops, and no DEAD KIDS . Just some fake forum posts.

They took it and created a pretty interesting story around it. I like the whole "mysterious murders ages ago" aspect, with Mike being the only one who has any idea about what really went on, even though he's not aware of the bigger picture.

But holy poo poo that scene in the house was intense. I knew something was going to go off the rails, but I thought it was the chef don't the other cop that was going to go to far.

I'm guess the tooth monster is either the Teachers kid or Mike's brother. The Brother is more likely based on its interest in Mike, but introducing the Teachers kid, and her affection for it, suggests maybe its him. Yes i know Mikes brother was dug up, but as this is a supernatural show, we can have something hinkey going on.

If this has come out a little later, I'd think they're trying to get a Stranger Things vibe going on, but its still fairly close to its release to think they put this in production to cash in on it. Plus its actually quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well it helps that the original story was written by a professional writer and not just some rando.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Channel Zero: Sonic.EXE

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spooky like this! posted:

Well it helps that the original story was written by a professional writer and not just some rando.

Straub actually did a creepypasta review series and before he started it he was really excited for it, then his first episode was on Jeff the Killer and he was like "...so it turns out most creepypasta is really, really bad".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't the Ben Drowned guy get (or was pitching) a tv deal because lol if that really became a tv series

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waffleman_ posted:

Yea or Channel Zero : Squidwards Suicide.

And Jeff the Killer is the one that first came to mind, as it would be something that could be adapted easily; how hard is it to write a series about a weird deformed killer? I mean that's the basis of a lot all horror since the 70s. Jeff the Killer vs Jane the Killer and Bob the Killer and Engelbert the Killer and so on and on on on.

I heard that the Ben Drowned guy went off the deep in and is now saying that the whole thing is true honest!

I wonder why they changed The Skintaker to Jawbone in Channel Zero. Also, I remember when I first read it there was some additional material about how the creator of Candle Cove vanished and only some of his skin and teeth were found. No doubt that stuff was added by other CP wiki users needing to add from CP cliches to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, they did drop the name Skintaker in the latest episode. Maybe they felt like it was a bit much right off the bat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think they realized that calling a character "Skintaker" on a supposed children's show is a little much, even if it was supposed to be creepy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Jawbone is the name the Skin-Taker takes in the show within a show because, like the screaming, it's real name goes too far past the "ordinary show that was really creepy because of bad SFX or whatever" and makes it immediately less innocent on the surface level. It needs some legitimacy or it might as well just be hypnotizing images of murder & suicide. Since the original story was just a series of reminiscing forum posts it needed to include some creepy supernatural elements before the big twist, but Channel Zero expands so much it can afford to make Candle Cove itself more relatively normal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still wanna see that drat screaming episode in like episode 5 or 6. Maybe as Mike gets closer and closer to the truth, the show becomes weirder and more disturbing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, of course. This is written by the same dude who wrote The Forest, and worked on Hannibal's last season. It's got the same vibe, and is also really good.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Didn't the Ben Drowned guy get (or was pitching) a tv deal because lol if that really became a tv series

Last I heard he was crowdfunding a game based around the story and a whole ARG to support this along with a supposed book deal at one point.

Crazy thing, everything that was (allegedly) in the pipeline for him, Scott Cawthon (the Five Nights At Freddy's guy) got and more. Can you imagine how stinky jealous he must be right now?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Chappie and I are liking this a lot. Third episode lost its grip on us a bit but it is still interesting. We like it much more than AHS. It has a bit of a woman in black / stone tapes feel in it being under stated and atmospheric

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel like the critical difference between AHS and most other horror fiction is that AHS is really up it's own rear end. It feels less like a horror series and more like a philosophical study of specific characters and their power plays. Which, okay, that's fine, but don't pretend it's horror just because it's about ghosts and witches and whatever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Waffleman_ posted:

Channel Zero: Smile.jpg

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

I feel like the critical difference between AHS and most other horror fiction is that AHS is really up it's own rear end. It feels less like a horror series and more like a philosophical study of specific characters and their power plays. Which, okay, that's fine, but don't pretend it's horror just because it's about ghosts and witches and whatever.

Yes, and also not scary. We just found it really unpleasant to watch and bugged out early on in season 1.
This series i do like, even the dickish characters have a drat good reason for being that way.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

WickedHate posted:

I think the problem with AHS is that Ryan Murphy doesn't really understand how horror works so he just throws absolutely everything that could potentially be scary at the wall and hopes something sticks. It's like he's constantly operating on the principal that "more = better". People are scared of aliens right, put some aliens in there! Serial killers? Nazi experiments? Demonic possesion? It's all good!

The only season that really worked was Asylum, I think because it had a solid setting which could accommodate all the craziness, but the others from what I've seen are just too directionless and silly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maelstache posted:

I think the problem with AHS is that Ryan Murphy doesn't really understand how horror works so he just throws absolutely everything that could potentially be scary at the wall and hopes something sticks. It's like he's constantly operating on the principal that "more = better". People are scared of aliens right, put some aliens in there! Serial killers? Nazi experiments? Demonic possesion? It's all good!

The only season that really worked was Asylum, I think because it had a solid setting which could accommodate all the craziness, but the others from what I've seen are just too directionless and silly.

Have you been watching season six, Roanoke? It's different. A coherent ongoing plot. Actual scary things. It is a 10 episode season, and as of episode 7 things are still hanging together really well, it hasn't wandered off into subplot madness. No random aliens or nazis inexplicably added.

The format is a little odd. The first five episodes are in the form of a reality TV show, with three people recounting their stories of spooky happenings in the house, while different actors play reinactors. Then in episode six the format changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUjpSNDlY4

If you liked Murder House or Asylum it is worth checking out.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

No random aliens or nazis inexplicably added.

I viewed Asylum as kind of a camp tribute to various different kinds of horror, and I don't think I ever actually found it scary, so the aliens and nazis were right up my alley.

Candle Cove, however, is really loving sinister. And I don't just mean the show, the phrase "candle cove" is really loving sinister.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Channel Zero: Smile.jpg

Channel Zero: Hello.jpg

Is this show available through any streaming options, or is it cable only? Maybe Hulu?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xealot posted:

Is this show available through any streaming options, or is it cable only? Maybe Hulu?

Syfy.com has all currently aired episodes right now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I know that Syfy themselves had the first episode up for streaming on their own site after it premiered, I dunno about the rest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syfy can be kind of weird about streaming shows. Sometimes things come up on services, sometimes they don't. Like I'm pretty sure The Magicians isn't on anything right now other than their own stuff.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

can't wait for the tails doll episode

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This is a pretty solid show, but I don't think they do justice to the creepy Candle Cove aspect of the story. It never gets shown as just being a weird creepy show that shouldn't exist and shouldn't be a children's show; rather it almost exclusively only comes up to directly order kids to do stuff. Also I'm not sure I really like the toothmonster. But this is good for Syfy!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's time to go......INSIDE!

Also yeah, I'm kinda waiting on the other shoe to drop and for Candle Cove to get really hosed up. So far, it's not doing much service to the weird, creepy stuff you'd find on public access at like 11 at night.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 2, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I fukken hate that skellington. He's creepy as poo poo.

The wall of pictures being gradually taken over by Candle Cove stuff is pretty creepy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh poo poo Lily done got the Candle Cove.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh poo poo Lily done got the Candle Cove.

She's not Lily :unsmigghh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

She's not Lily :unsmigghh:

LILY IS THE CANDLE COVE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay, now here we go!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JESUS gently caress :catstare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of feel bad for Natalie Brown seeing as she got killed off on two different shows in the same week.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of feel bad for Natalie Brown seeing as she got killed off on two different shows in the same week.

From getting stabbed even :haw:

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Hey, I was right, it was mushrooms!

All in all, not as strong of an episode as last week. The story moved forward, but nothing was that surprising. I was really hoping the discovery of the body and the puppets from the trailer would be in two different places, but nope. Then I hoped that there'd be some extra depth to Lily waking up from her nightmare, but nope.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the tooth monster is clearly the star of this show, and we were worse off without him this week. C'mon Channel Zero, I'm tuning in to see those chompers!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kinda weird that a series with only 6 episodes can be moving sooo sloooooow.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mike calmly asking if something was behind him, turning around, and just loving walking out was hilarious.

Spraynard Kruger posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the tooth monster is clearly the star of this show, and we were worse off without him this week. C'mon Channel Zero, I'm tuning in to see those chompers!

I don't really like the Tooth Child because it feels very out of place, like some executive(or bad writer, I dunno) really wanted an iconic Rubber Man-esque creature. The Skin-Taker should be the mascot of the series, not this random tooth thing :argh: but despite that I do think it's pretty cool and all, just not Candle Cove, and I really want to get to the point where it ties into the rest of the poo poo.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 2, 2016

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I am really liking the show but in the latest episode, I found it really dumb that Jessica pulled out a gun to defend herself from the masked kids with knives and who had already hurt her and didn't even attempt to shoot any of them. Also, those kids have to have the worst parents ever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WickedHate posted:

Mike calmly asking if something was behind him, turning around, and just loving walking out was hilarious.

I don't really like the Tooth Child because it feels very out of place, like some executive(or bad writer, I dunno) really wanted an iconic Rubber Man-esque creature. The Skin-Taker should be the mascot of the series, not this random tooth thing :argh: but despite that I do think it's pretty cool and all, just not Candle Cove, and I really want to get to the point where it ties into the rest of the poo poo.

It all seems to tie together through the teacher, Mrs. Booth.
  • It looks like she had original puppets from the show in her basement.

• In the 88 flashback she seemed apprehensive when Eddie came to visit her son, like she suspected he would be taken.

• She's the only adult who was able to see the show back in 88.

• She's a stone cold killer.

• She has jars full of human teeth in her basement. That's really not normal. Where do you even get that many human teeth without robbing a graveyard or something?

• She is on good terms with the tooth child.

• She has some kind of influence over the 4 murderous kids in her class. More than you'd expect from a teacher-student relationship.

• Most of the kids involved have been in her class (though if it is a small enough town it's possible that literally every kid in town has gone through her class).

To me it looks like she could be the source of whatever is going on. Maybe the tooth child is the reason she's doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ihatepants posted:

I am really liking the show but in the latest episode, I found it really dumb that Jessica pulled out a gun to defend herself from the masked kids with knives and who had already hurt her and didn't even attempt to shoot any of them. Also, those kids have to have the worst parents ever.

Well, the one had a point-they are kids. It's hard for a regular innocent housewife to kill someone, much less a child. The gun might not even have been loaded and she just carried it around to feel safer thinking she could scare off a mugger or something.

Facebook Aunt posted:

To me it looks like she could be the source of whatever is going on. Maybe the tooth child is the reason she's doing it.

This is a good summation and good deductive thinking, thank you.

• Locked thread