Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWsImdakuGc
Rest in peace, Rory, the greatest youtuber and LF mod ever.

Youtube's community is garbage, and it's Youtube's fault. In the early days, nobody knew what Youtube was, and you ended up with a bunch of idiots talking about their day and being bland. It was really embarassing. Also, some kid got his own Nickelodeon show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMXiIQlcIo4
Jokes! Editing! Youtube is the future of entertainment!

When monetization was introduced, it was pretty simple.... More views = more money. More subscribers = more money. But then things changed, and to get a decent CPM you would have to upload videos with some regularity. You couldn't upload a video of your dog biting your balls or an actual creative thing you put real work into and maybe make a few thousand bucks if it went viral anymore. You couldn't smoke some salvia and take your car for a spin and make a nice little career for yourself. You had to do things differently, and being creative became bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDQfe-vrAUw
This man is sadly not a millionaire, anymore

The Genres
Youtubers discovered two things at this time:
1) Playing video games is easy to do for a long time
2) If you are remotely interesting or capable of making GBS threads out a full sentence, you could become internet famous
3) If talking while playing video games is hard, you can also talk while opening boxes or watching TV
4) You could also make a living eating garbage
5) Mostly, people ate actual garbage

Let's Play Videos
Watching people play videos games is a genre? Oh, ok, that's cool I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2jBG1sCcsU
This person makes a decent living making goku statues in minecraft nowadays, thanks to Youtube.

Reaction videos:
People really like feeling like they have real-life friends, so if you sit through a 30 second car ad, you can have the privilege of watching movie trailers, pro wrestling, and other youtube videos with the company of a youtuber. Sometimes, children react to weird things like casette players, or old people react to video games. Reaction videos take a lot of talent, but personally, I would rather have a buffalo take a diarrhoea dump in my ear than watch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwvGP9EkBzM&t=103s
This man is a talented artist, and reactions are his medium

Unboxing videos: Have you ever wondered what it's like to buy things? Coming to you live through the power of the internet, people open the things they buy and show you what cords they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZOrZrROnY
Let's cyberbully this preteen

Eating garbage: Watching friends eat hot peppers is fun. If you don't have friends, you can watch a middle aged man with children of his own drink a bottle of glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvCbOF6zXM&t=171s
Jesus wept

That brings us to today
: People poo poo out videos on a daily basis regardless of quality. Once you have a few thousand followers, you don't have to worry about quality. A generation of America's children are now growing up watching slightly older children sitting in their bedrooms yelling at their computers about how much they hate eachother. Youtube, it seems, is trash. Here's a couple of examples of the biggest youtubers around nowadays:

Leafyishere is a 20 year old with no chin who uses buzzfeed jokes from half a decade ago to "roast" other youtubers, mostly little kids who are either too young for self-awareness. He also sometimes outsmarts the mentally retarded.

Keemstar is a 35 year old who calls people niggers as a joke and monitors youtube "drama". He has been banned from youtube, twitch, and twitter multiple times for scamming people and harassment, so he made a company, set up a youtube page for that company, and now posts on behalf of that company that he now owns. The system works!

:siren: The point of this thread is below this line, stop scrolling now if you're going to be an angry retard and maybe just read these few lines, and cheer up, bucko :siren:

There's a bunch more just like the examples I gave, but I've already hosed up my daily suggestions by looking up poo poo content for this thread and I said I'd post this thread yesterday already. But really, they're all the same: They show clips of themselves playing video games, rant about other youtubers being not as good or smart or funny or handsome as they are for 30+ minutes (gotta get those lucrative youtube ad dollars!), then the person they rant about posts a response video, also 30+ mintues long. They go back and forth until they decide that their now mortal enemy wasn't maybe so bad and it's time to let the past be the past. It's shallow, lovely, and barely qualifies as entertainment, but for the kind of people who like to gangstalk retards and call 911 on preteens for liking the wrong kind of cartoons, it's a blast watching these people who totally definitely aren't laughing their way to the bank tear eachother down in the most banal and repetitive ways possible. This is pro-wrestling level drama, except with less nuance. Don't think for a minute that these people don't talk to eachother or coordinate their routine rear end-blastings of eachothers', uh, asses. Because they do. Because Youtube drama, like Youtube itself, is fake and gay.

There is still a lot of interesting content on youtube. I like John & Hank Green, and for a Let's Play channel, Game Grumps are surprisingly competent at being funny. There are probably good goon youtubers. With all of that said, I want to stress that most of the poo poo on youtube is garbage. Let's use this thread to talk about youtube, in general, being bad, or maybe specific youtubers being bad, doing rapes (a surprising amount of youtubers are rapists, maybe!), and being far more rich and famous than they deserve. Bring back old media!

Keg fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I agree; the color television really ruined media for me. No longer did the content need to be interesting or funny. No longer did the sets and costumes need to be carefully selected for contrast against one another. Nowadays, all you need are some flashy costumes and a colorful set. Such trash, all of it.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't watched pro wrestling since I was a child so the analogy is quite foreign to me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

john and hank green are good or bad depending on the channel. vlogbrothers fuckin' sucks and john's really irritating if he's not hosting a crash course episode, and those are sometimes neat i guess.

sci show is good though, except the girl on sci show space needs to be replaced

filthy frank & the people he makes videos with are ok sometimes. The Vomit cake, Hair cake, human cake series are all pretty great.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

hemophilia posted:

john and hank green are good or bad depending on the channel. vlogbrothers fuckin' sucks and john's really irritating if he's not hosting a crash course episode, and those are sometimes neat i guess.

filthy frank & the people he makes videos with are ok sometimes. The Vomit cake, Hair cake, human cake series are all pretty great.

Good morning Hank it's jumpcuts

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I like the one where they interview the guest while eating hotwings

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

Have you ever pinpointed the moment in your life exactly where you became emotionally stunted?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There a guy called Northernlion that has uploaded over 1000 videos of him playing The Binding of Isaac and all the them have at least 60,000 views.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Have you ever pinpointed the moment in your life exactly where you became emotionally stunted?

the fact i laugh at filthy frank puts me somewhere in the mid to late teens

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
a Dark Souls video I made just recently hit 36k views after the stars aligned or some poo poo and the comments are just people biting and clawing at each other over the PvP meta and it's fun to watch

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

There a guy called Northernlion that has uploaded over 1000 videos of him playing The Binding of Isaac and all the them have at least 60,000 views.

That guy makes like $100 per video and here I am looking at rocks like a loving sap.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I like H3H3

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Primitive Technology is the only good YouTube channel becasue he makes cool things and doesn't say a loving word.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think it's really weird ethan kisses his sister like that

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Visible Stink posted:

Primitive Technology is the only good YouTube channel becasue he makes cool things and doesn't say a loving word.

Does anybody know what happened to that guy who lived in the woods and was making a giant spider robot? He seemed nice.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
James Townsend and Son's channel is one of the small bright spots in the otherwise barren hellscape of YouTube. Goons should like a guy in a tricorn making fried chicken: https://youtu.be/GsyjNef2ydQ

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
One goon who I think makes pretty good stuff is hbomberguy. He mostly does stuff about the alt-right vlog-o-sph*reflexively vomits*, but he also does funny gaming content. One of my favorite videos is him making fun of the Really Angry And Easily Enraged Gamer Does A Video Review thing by giving No Man's Sky a positive review, but if you're new to his poo poo, it's probably better to watch something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQo6LI3Y7c

Here's his Angry Videogame Yelling Man thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhaUe6y-Co

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
I met a dude who put videos of himself talking about atheism on youtube and arguing with other people like that, which ended up being how he met his girlfriend who later cheated on him with his bitterest youtube rival.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

T r a v i s posted:

I met a dude who put videos of himself talking about atheism on youtube and arguing with other people like that, which ended up being how he met his girlfriend who later cheated on him with his bitterest youtube rival.

I changed my mind, youtube owns

Khorne
May 1, 2002
FilthyFrank is pretty good too. Mostly because he's not actually scumbag and is playing a character.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Keg posted:

Does anybody know what happened to that guy who lived in the woods and was making a giant spider robot? He seemed nice.

He relocated to somewhere in the Caribbean (I think) and started building his own catamaran last I knew. I'm still subscribed to his channel, but admittedly lost interest after the spider robot project. His channel is J Mantzel

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I don't really keep up with the latest and greatest YouTube drama but here's a dude eating a piece of a hundred and fifty year old cracker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5JrN9DrVI

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but there's a guy who invents all the things that got us where we are today, such as the wheel

Also, I think it's funny that there are so many minecraft videos and so many views of them from kids with way too much free time, a user with no history is probably getting a ridiculous amount of them in suggestions

I watched the first video on the 35-year-old dude's channel and hated his intro voice but wtf the ginger with no soul is trans now? I don't want to erase trans people or anything but there is definitely an elevated probability that he was trolled into it and will probably realize that before the surgery, much like Triple H

Anyway, the best thing on YouTube is webm compilations for the 4chan fans who have no time to scroll 4chan. TheDankness2 is my provider of choice

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 21, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

T r a v i s posted:

There but for the grace of my own intelligence go I

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Sorry about your dayjob, OP

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I like ballerscuba's Let's Plays.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ballerscuba/featured

I don't have the time or passion to play though the xinosaga game series, but watching while doing other stuff is cool.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

hth posted:

Sorry about your dayjob, OP

It's a lot of fun and I get to look at neat stuff under a microscope and work only like 80-100 days a year and spend lots of time skiing and visiting cool places tbh :)

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I don't really keep up with the latest and greatest YouTube drama but here's a dude eating a piece of a hundred and fifty year old cracker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5JrN9DrVI

this guy owns the total stuff he has shoved in his maw is probably worth more money than most people

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
I only watch videos of people making things and Youtube kicks rear end for that. Sorry if your video choices are as lame as your life.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Hey keg i am glad you followed through you aren't the coward everyone claims you are!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Dunkey is funny.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
After clicking on that link to keemstar I'm now on some video where he's having some girl who fucks dogs and some girl who fucks her dad insult each other, who both coincidentally are in love with Leafy?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I like the Yogscast, who are guys who started here on our very own forums <3

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
actually youtube exists to share momentous events in human history like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
i don't know what any of this garbage is i just use youtube to watch my recipes videos

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

op is literal satan

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q4EVpIFIk

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
OP said the n word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i like the surplus stormtrooper helmet covered in glitter

• Locked thread