Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

hillo posted:

Watching some group of engineer students try to build a car on twitch, apparently they started at launch and they just now got the car running and moving for the first time. Drove for 30 meters and the steering, brakes and gears stopped working.

I hope that's recorded. Got a link? That sounds hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I hope that's recorded. Got a link? That sounds hilarious.

it's in finnish but at 18h 47min mark onward https://www.twitch.tv/tietoteekkarikilta/v/96915153

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Unfortunately most of the twitch streams seem to be polish so far. If anyone finds any good English ones please post. This seems like the kind of game I'd love to watch but not play (I'm cars dumb).

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

hillo posted:

it's in finnish but at 18h 47min mark onward https://www.twitch.tv/tietoteekkarikilta/v/96915153

Thanks to this game I understand that they're just saying variations of "pussy" and "satan."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I played for a few hours last night, got the engine assembled up to the point where I was going to install the fan belt... and then I find out there's no fan belt in the shop.

Perkele! I went to bed, but was awakened just before dawn by someone calling for a ride home from the bar. I hung up on him but got in the van anyway. I was getting pretty loving hungry and had already eaten the starting sausages. Drove to the store and hung around outside until it opened.

Bought a bunch of food and beer, plus every bottle of oil, coolant, and brake fluid, and THAT loving FAN BELT. Spent over 2000 markka on just those things, and then I filled up the van with diesel too.

After filling up the van, I filled up myself with beer, which filled up my bladder. I was angry at the shopkeeper for taking all my markka, so I pissed inside his shop. Then I pissed on him for good measure.

"What a strange summer," he remarked, "it rains and then it stops."

I stumbled to the car and got on the highway. Eventually I came to a police checkpoint and idled forward. The cop lowered the "stop" sign he was holding, so I thought I was good to go. I drove on, but he started chasing me and ramming me from behind. I ran off the road and crashed into a tree, dying brutally.

RIP me, and RIP my half-assembled engine.

This game owns, my biggest complaint so far is that it's impossible to eyeball the size of any given bolt/nut, something I'm pretty good at in real life.

protip, you can also drive the van counterclockwise around the lake shore, it's wider than the highway and much shorter

Edit: I started over this morning, driving to the store first thing. Gonna see if I can find any of that bug spray another poster mentioned.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 25, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought the bug spray and it got rid of that mosquito or whatever for a bit but it just comes back. The size of bolts is also my biggest complaint. He really needs to go through each one and set the size properly. Bolts that look really big take small wrenches and bolts that look small take big wrenches. I don't mind that there are different sizes but they need to look the right size so I don't have to try every wrench until it works. Something to highlight the bolts and nuts is needed as well.

I built most of my car and drove it around bit and then crashed it. Turns out I needed to take that can with me to the shop to buy gas as well.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
I hate how the spanners go from 5 to 15.

Pretty much all the jap cars I've worked on have been mostly 8-10-13-14-17-19-21 plus maybe the odd 7 and 9

It's also hard to eyeball the size because it's hard to determine how far away you are from the bolt when you are doing all kinds of leaning and crouching camera magic

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wish at the very least it would tell you if the bolt is bigger or smaller than your wrench, just like in real life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This game really needs vr.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

This game really needs vr.

I never get sick motion sickness from games but drinking the viinabottle seriously hosed with me, probably would vomit in 3 seconds with VR

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!
it runs!

it runs exactly this far! thing popped out of gear and won't go back in :negative:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I wish the store didn't open so late. Also, is there a clock somewhere? I went to bed and figured it was morning but was dark when I got to town. Stood outside until it opened but was pretty much dead at that point.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Harminoff posted:

I wish the store didn't open so late. Also, is there a clock somewhere? I went to bed and figured it was morning but was dark when I got to town. Stood outside until it opened but was pretty much dead at that point.

There's one in the kitchen, don't know about any others other than the one you can plop in to the datsuns dashboard

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

it runs!

it runs exactly this far! thing popped out of gear and won't go back in :negative:

Check the gear linkage and/or the clutch pedal connection to clutch master cylinder

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This game sounds like hilarious fun, but I barely have time to play half a game of madden these days :(

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This game sounds like hilarious fun, but I barely have time to play half a game of madden these days :(

It's a weird game. I played it "for a minute to test it" last night and then noticed I had played it for 3 hours and most of that time was just suffering. And I enjoyed every minute of that suffering.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Make sure you're adding fluids. Clutch cylinder uses brake fluid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The brakes don't work in my car. All the lines are installed and the fluid is added but the pedal doesn't even move when I hit the brake. Must be some kind of bug.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

The brakes don't work in my car. All the lines are installed and the fluid is added but the pedal doesn't even move when I hit the brake. Must be some kind of bug.

Most of the bugs get fixed by saving and reloading, try that if you haven't yet

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a beer bottle beneath the pedal?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Make sure you're adding fluids. Clutch cylinder uses brake fluid.

I'm up to my tits in engine components. Am I looking forward to having to bleed brakes or is the game not that realistic?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hillo posted:

Most of the bugs get fixed by saving and reloading, try that if you haven't yet

I believe that's also how you get the engine onto the hoist. You just move the block real close, lower the hoist, and tighten the two bolts. Then save and reload, the engine should now be up in the air.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The brake pedal works before the engine turns on. Once I turn the engine on, it stops working until I turn the engine off, exit driving mode and then reenter driving mode. Then once I turn the car on again, the brakes stop working. I don't know, maybe I'll have to just start a new game.

Edit: Also, don't save and reload at the store after buying lots of stuff. Unless you really love individually dragging in sausages from the van. That shopping bag goes away and all the stuff you bought appears when you reload.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 25, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Edit: Also, don't save and reload at the store after buying lots of stuff. Unless you really love individually dragging in sausages from the van. That shopping bag goes away and all the stuff you bought appears when you reload.

Yeah, I opened my bag while standing at the counter. Then I hauled each piece to the door before I remembered you can throw things, so I just chucked them from the doorway into the open back of the van.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ZearothK posted:

This game is art. gently caress you Roger Ebert.

My car building skills are still poo poo, but I managed to deliver a load of firewood! Now I probably won't starve to death for lack of money.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

My car building skills are still poo poo, but I managed to deliver a load of firewood! Now I probably won't starve to death for lack of money.

Where do you deliver it? The guy calls and asks for firewood but hosed if I know who this random Finn on the phone is.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

I believe that's also how you get the engine onto the hoist. You just move the block real close, lower the hoist, and tighten the two bolts. Then save and reload, the engine should now be up in the air.

You don't actually even have to do that, it's just quite finicky with the placement

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Where do you deliver it? The guy calls and asks for firewood but hosed if I know who this random Finn on the phone is.

I also have this question. There's not much info on this game yet and it doesn't explain any of it. The guy asks for wood but doesn't say where he wants it.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!
When you answer the phone, a tack will get stuck into the map on the wall right in front of you. That's where you need to go. They don't stay after a reload, though

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you look at the map on the wall above the telephone, it'll have a dart in the map where your last call came from. Except for the rear end in a top hat who calls you in the middle of the night to get picked up from the pub, because they expect to you know where that is already.

I suspect it's always going to be the same guy for wood, if so, take the road out from your place. When you get to the first T junction, hook a left. It'll be the second house you get to, NOT the first one that has a guy sitting drunk on a tree stump. There will be that idiot I snapped a picture of standing out front and waving his arm like "back it in here." Get out of your tractor, open the tailgate, get back in, put the parking brake on, engage your rear hydraulics and hit the gas pedal. If you're in the right place and you did everything right, you should see the firewood dump into a big mound.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do I have to chop a bunch of firewood and throw it in the trailer? I noticed there was a texture of wood in there but I don't know how much I need to do.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

Do I have to chop a bunch of firewood and throw it in the trailer? I noticed there was a texture of wood in there but I don't know how much I need to do.

Yeah that's what did. It looked like every time I added a piece of wood to the trailer, the texture rose up. I didn't know how much I needed to do either, so I just did it until I got bored and then hauled it. Maybe you get more money the more wood you bring?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I got 3 phonecalls/pins on the map, then when I saved and reloaded all the pins are gone. Do I still have these "quests" or do I need to wait for the calls again?

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Played for a few hours, and it's fun in it's own masochistic way.
Got killed by driving into a small cliff, and got back home from the church/graveyard by heading to bar and slamming vodkas until I blacked out and woke up in my house :v:
Also you get lovely sound effects when you're doing one of the "hey my cesspit is full" mini-missions :barf:

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
I like how the dev translated some stuff but most of it doesn't pack such punch because it's not translateble.

But I enjoyed this shop visit.

"*english subtitles rain drops* and even in the night.."
-gently caress YOU.
"Nice finger, do you want me to show my meat cleaver to it"
-You're a dick wart
"haista poik(a vittu) thank you for coming"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtM28R-5XIk

hillo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 25, 2016

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
Do not hit "punch" when in Hiace.

GOTY

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

El Perkele posted:

Do not hit "punch" when in Hiace.

GOTY

I'm 99% sure the dev MADE a punch button and then made the punch buttons next to shift up button. Jesus I had a moment when accidentally punching the windscreen mid corner and not seeing anything

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Death #1: Fell into Sewage holding tank during pumpout.

Got bored trying to figure out the next step after getting the suspension assembled, figured I would do a job, and that was the last decision I made.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's so crazy that you can just go off into the world and just die randomly. In some games it doesn't seem out of place. In this game, you're just driving your van to the store but you lose control, hit a tree, and then you're in the newspaper.

How do I add more diesel to the tractor? I can't find anywhere to pour fuel in. I dropped off some logs to the guy and then the fuel ran out as soon as I got back to the house. I grabbed the diesel can but couldn't find any fuel filler on the tractor. I poured some around various points of it but the bar never showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

it runs!

Clutch/engine connection had popped - fixed it, saved the game, tried to start it up... and the engine instantly lunched itself and spat a crank bearing on the ground for good measure.

Reloaded, pulled the oil pan, and saw half my pistons and all the crank bearings had backed themselves off. Christ.

• Locked thread