Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

It doesn't. One person just needs to do all the training modes to SS for the premium currency rewards. It's more than enough to start a legion.

Better than the training there is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Pro Pike Tip: Check to see if your spear's weapon card says Press X at the bottom of it. This activates a mode where you hold out the pike and it does damage to whatever it touches every second or so. It also flips a persons speed and weight damage back on themselves if they charge into it. It utterly clowns on people using halberds or glaives because they can't close in without taking 30-40 damage and that's usually enough to spook people into never trying to get closer. But it takes a second to ready the mode and another to unready it so if you ever get a sword or mace guy up your rear end you're hosed.

The tier 2 Wei spear can do this and has the second longest pike range in right now, while the their 5 Wei pike has the longest range. The bamboo spear and wooden spike can do this but they have loving awful ranges so I wouldn't recommend it using them against unmounted dudes.

Oh and you can slightly aim it by pointing way past where you think you need to in order to get headshots.

I go for the groin and arms a lot more honestly. A lot of the time dudes are unarmored there. Headshots are great on generals for insta-gibbing. But, against regular troops I find swathing through their shoulders melts them faster.

Third World Reggin posted:

Better than the training there is this.

Yeah, regular medals are fine too. I just meant that even a person who just started playing can unlock / create a legion in less than an hour by running the training missions. No payment required. So any of the Eurogoonz could start the legion now if they wanted.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Applied as DerHella.

Time to show some BENEVOLENCE!

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss
Still applying as Fallout

Is the Parrying Sword and white horse worth farming PvE for, or are they just for looks?

Firstkind
Apr 10, 2015

by 2017 exmarx

drat China and their knockoffs of popular brands.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I applied as Goodchild. I liked this game at first, then I really hated it and now I've come back around to enjoying it quite a bit. That's my story. :cheers:

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Fallout posted:

Still applying as Fallout

Is the Parrying Sword and white horse worth farming PvE for, or are they just for looks?

They're mostly for looks. Plus both are time limited so you're gonna be farming just about constantly trying to keep them topped up. You also get a pretty good parry sword as either the 15 or 20 rank up gift that lasts a month.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I don't see you in the list. I see nothing in the list. The list is empty.

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss

I don't see you in the list. I see nothing in the list. The list is empty.

Someone else got me.

Things I wish I knew yesterday: It's not enough to put your troops in formation and tell them to 'Guard', they must also be set to 'Actively' to fight, use '~' to toggle between 'Actively' and 'Keep Formation'.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone uncovered the ancient chinese secret to making this game run better? It's almost impressive how bad it runs on a system that does 100 fps on BF1.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Yeah, regular medals are fine too. I just meant that even a person who just started playing can unlock / create a legion in less than an hour by running the training missions. No payment required. So any of the Eurogoonz could start the legion now if they wanted.

Don't you have to get top rank for the premium currency? Or can you just grind the missions?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the achievements page. UI! :argh:

EDIT EDIT: I've created the Euro guild GoonsofWuxia. It has a spastic bird as a banner and you can drop it in battle. That's all the benefit you get from being in it.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 1, 2016

Nerevar Indoril
Dec 27, 2005
That's not funny, Ruth. I was a slave.
Applied US as Prembus

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791100269

someone found a way to edit troops in and let them be purchaseable

YOU DO THIS YOU MIGHT BE BANNED

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Fat Samurai posted:

Don't you have to get top rank for the premium currency? Or can you just grind the missions?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the achievements page. UI! :argh:

EDIT EDIT: I've created the Euro guild GoonsofWuxia. It has a spastic bird as a banner and you can drop it in battle. That's all the benefit you get from being in it.

I like spastic birds and I'm stuck in europe, so I applied as Murderizer.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Apparently they're locked again for some people. Wonder how fast they were working to get that server side check setup :haw:

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
I applied to the European legion as LongYing

only three members so far :shobon:

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
Applied to guild as Windrunner.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

They fixed it already. You can see the tech tree still, but you can't use any of the units.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'll never understand why people take their one group of dudes and run into 2 people with 2 groups of dudes and die in the first 5 minutes.

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss

Buschmaki posted:

I'll never understand why people take their one group of dudes and run into 2 people with 2 groups of dudes and die in the first 5 minutes.

It's obviously the cool thing to do, honestly I don't know why you wouldn't.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
My connection to the servers is awful now. I get frequent lag spikes of 3000+ and disconnects.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

THE ENEMY IS HERE, WE WILL FIGHT THEM HERE.

-General Lee

For reference if anyone is trying to get SS in horsemanship training, and or CONGRATULATIONS ON YOU BREAK THE WORLD RECORD!

Edit: FINALLY got SS. Also for reference, if anyone is trying to get SS in archery, 1200 points is the threshold. Aka 10-12 bullseyes (3 of which need to be far back shots). Another WORLD RECORD!

Finally got my elite warrior achieve!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 2, 2016

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Nice!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Switching from Wu archers to infatry and wondering how the gently caress anyone loses when they have multichop and formations, then I see my team run their dudes single-file into enemy squares.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Switching from Wu archers to infatry and wondering how the gently caress anyone loses when they have multichop and formations, then I see my team run their dudes single-file into enemy squares.

Retreating as soon as you see Wu troops about to engage helps a lot. They blow their multi-chop right as they engage and they can't keep up with a snake formation retreat. That's the only way I can deal with it as melee infantry anyway.

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss
Has anyone tried/liked having a heavily armored general that can't ride a horse?

I'm finding that being on the ground and cutting down enemy numbers is really helpful and can help overcome unfavorable troop match-ups.

I guess I can have set 1 for heavy armor and on the ground, set 2 for cavalry.

What weapon load outs are you guys liking?

My ground game has been 1h sword / shield / 2h pike / 2h axe.

Pike for knocking dudes off horses and running them down, axe for busting shields and casual murdering, sword and board for everything else.

Btw, I tried the 1h axe, and did not like it at all. The 0.2 less length is really noticeable, couldn't hit anything.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Finally got my elite warrior achieve!

Getting SS for parry and horses is doing my head in.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
For parry do the 5* and try to get them to both stand still in front of you. Once you have that focus on parrying the dude with the sword as those are worth more points. You should be able to occasionally parry the spear blows as well. Don't worry about getting hit.

I'm stuck on S for horses. I need to get better at landing head shots.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fallout posted:

Has anyone tried/liked having a heavily armored general that can't ride a horse?

It works. I usually drop off my horse as soon as there is a melee and start swinging a big weapon around, anyway. I'm only at tier 4, though, so maybe when units become HP sponges it will be less useful.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790259622

Here's a git gud guide to training. Interesting what he says about the sweet spot for archers being off-centre.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fallout posted:

I'm finding that being on the ground and cutting down enemy numbers is really helpful and can help overcome unfavorable troop match-ups.

I guess I can have set 1 for heavy armor and on the ground, set 2 for cavalry.

What weapon load outs are you guys liking?

My ground game has been 1h sword / shield / 2h pike / 2h axe.

Pike for knocking dudes off horses and running them down, axe for busting shields and casual murdering, sword and board for everything else.

Btw, I tried the 1h axe, and did not like it at all. The 0.2 less length is really noticeable, couldn't hit anything.

I tried this for awhile. It can sometimes be ridiculously effective so long as you get armor in every armor type and pack a long range weapon.

I usually ran with the iron sickle and a sword and shield in the lower tiers when I did that. The sickle can deal up to 100 damage per swing if you hit them with the blade portion and gives you massive range for 1v1 or when trying to hit an enemy caught inside a group of NPC's. When someone wises up you can switch to the sword and shield for the slugfest portion having gotten a large edge on them.

Edit: Horse wise running with the wooden broadsword and the starter horse is pretty useful. If you have good troop support and are good enough you can pretty much mulch through an entire band of troops before the horse gives out.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 2, 2016

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
This game is great. Led a charge of club wielding peasants into the side of two units of crossbows, ended the round with seven general kills and a giant murder mound around the central cap.

Around what level can I expect to run into people who know how to fight? So far its been a spam fest that's pretty easy to deal with.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morbidmind posted:

This game is great. Led a charge of club wielding peasants into the side of two units of crossbows, ended the round with seven general kills and a giant murder mound around the central cap.

Around what level can I expect to run into people who know how to fight? So far its been a spam fest that's pretty easy to deal with.

Tier 5 is when poo poo starts to get real.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Morbidmind posted:

You'll actually run into people who know how to fight at relatively low level (tier 2-3) because it's more efficient to farm prestige at those levels if you're just converting with premium currency. Most of the top ranked players do it, and some of those players are decent at melee combat.

az posted:

Getting SS for parry and horses is doing my head in.

For horse, I went for max points on only leather and cloth. I did the lazy side swing into all iron targets because that weapon is garbage, and hitting with it forces you to slow the horse down and aim the hit. I actually found I got more points if I completely ignored the raised targets and iron targets while galloping at max speed.

For parry, you really just need to do the duo fight and bait the NPCs into attacking from the same direction over and over again. (You can do this by getting them lumped next to one another and strafing in a direction that makes it favorable for the NPC to attack from. Doesn't always work, but it worked enough to generate SS points.

Fallout posted:

I've been doing this exclusively since Day 1. I find the horses intolerable, and there's too much stuff in the environment they can get caught on, including enemies with big sticks. Not worth the headache. So I've been super heavy armor since the get go. (My jump modifier is .81, it's great!)

I like the Large Dagger Axe from the tier 6 Wei. It headshots for around 130-140 and once you get used to its attack arc/distance you can close-line dudes off horses with little effort. I don't bother with a shield, because I played Mount & Blade and know that shields lead you to bad habits which become harder to break the more ingrained into you they get. So it's all manual blocking and 2handers for me. Though I do like the 1h axe as my close quarters/tight hallways weapon.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 2, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Rap Three Times posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790259622

Here's a git gud guide to training. Interesting what he says about the sweet spot for archers being off-centre.

Yeah, I noticed that about the archer stuff after a few rounds. Super annoying.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

How does the armor actually work? From what I understand each material has a type of damage it's strong and weak against, right?

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Applied to EU goons as FelchMonkey. Enjoying riding around taking heads. The population seems low at times though.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

How does the armor actually work? From what I understand each material has a type of damage it's strong and weak against, right?

Do the Horse/Cavalry Training mode, it will explain it in broken english detail.

The basic Rock Paper Scissors right now is as follows though:

Cloth - Strong against Blunt (Maces), weak against Piercing (Spears).
Leather - Strong against Piercing (Spears), weak against Slashing (Swords).
Iron - Strong against Slashing (Swords), weak against Bashing (Maces).

Anything not strong/weak is neutral and gets neither a damage buff or debuff.

Different armor parts cover different areas, even within the same gear slot. (Some are really strong, but only in very specific areas, leaving the rest of you wide open)

Your defense is based off the enemy weapon type, your armor type, the momentum of the enemy, the momentum of yourself, the weight of the enemies weapon, and the weight of your weapon. The final 2 are only in regard to blocking and exchanges. Exchanges usually end in a tie, but a really heavy weapon vs a really light weapon will cause the opponent to stagger 100% of the time.

Where the enemy aims/hits has damage determined by the previously mentioned aspects, as well as the exact armor rating of the area you're being hit.

You'll see at the end of matches a % breakdown of where you're being hit (what zones/sections of your armor). You can use this as a guide on helping you block or gear yourself better. You can see this in the breakdown menu after games.

I myself find that most times I'm getting hit in the arms (from short sword spam swings) and the collar just below the neck (from people aiming and missing headshots), and the head of course.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 2, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

you forgot the part of deflection chance with the ability to negate an entire attack and damage reduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss
We need a discord channel or something, so we can discuss secret tech and get some goon groups going.

• Locked thread