Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I really liked the fact that he got upset for taking a life it really differentiates him from other Marvel characters

Yeah, that was a nice moment. It's the only time in the movie he kills someone, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, that was a nice moment. It's the only time in the movie he kills someone, right?

Not exactly I mean he does send Mads and them to Dormammu. It's good because his philosophy is that of a surgeon and he does share a philosophy with the Ancient one. He's a egotist but he legitimately cares about people although for selfish reasons

I'd say Strange has the best character arc of the movies so far maybe next to Ant Man.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Lobok posted:

That seems like a hard one to justify though since Mordo's feelings about Dormammu are the complete opposite of what we're used to from the comics.

That's a great point. Time will tell I suppose - the rumor going around now is that if Scott Derrickson directs the sequel he wants to use Nightmare.

Hollismason posted:

I really liked the fact that he got upset for taking a life it really differentiates him from other Marvel characters

I too loved that moment - it went a long way in humanizing the character.

Overall, I'd say this was one of the best origin stories that we've gotten so far in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, in that we got a lot of character development and growth. Compare where Steven Strange was at the beginning of the movie to where he was at the end to Tony Stark, who basically didn't learn anything until Iron Man 3.

It works really well as a standalone movie as well - I feel like the general audience can get a lot out of the story without having to see the other Marvel films.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Not exactly I mean he does send Mads and them to Dormammu. It's good because his philosophy is that of a surgeon and he does share a philosophy with the Ancient one. He's a egotist but he legitimately cares about people although for selfish reasons

My impression was that they really would receive eternal life there, just not one they'll enjoy. It's not the nicest solution, but the fuckers were trying to take everyone there, so to hell with them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Not exactly I mean he does send Mads and them to Dormammu

Well, it is what they asked for...

And technically they didn't die, although for anyone familiar with the Mindless Ones that argument is splitting hairs.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That's a great point. Time will tell I suppose - the rumor going around now is that if Scott Derrickson directs the sequel he wants to use Nightmare.

Probably the best choice. Mephisto is... well, Satan, and with Hela already being used in Thor I doubt Marvel would want to inflame Christian tempers and be unoriginal in using a ruler of the underworld twice. By using Nightmare they can make things creepy and twisted in a PG-13 way and if the filmmakers like reality warping so much you can't get much better than using dream dimensions. You can gently caress with the audience's minds, too.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's (rightfully) going to be ignored for plot purposes, but the bargain at the end gave me a bitter taste in my mouth. You've managed to broker a deal where Dormamu doesn't gently caress with Earth, great, but the dude is expressly going to just gently caress off and consume countless other worlds and countless over dimensions in the process.

Maybe it's just because I've recently been playing World of Warcraft, where there's a Bad Guy Army that is implicitly going for all the pieces on the chessboard, not just Our Home World.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

It's (rightfully) going to be ignored for plot purposes, but the bargain at the end gave me a bitter taste in my mouth. You've managed to broker a deal where Dormamu doesn't gently caress with Earth, great, but the dude is expressly going to just gently caress off and consume countless other worlds and countless over dimensions in the process.

Maybe it's just because I've recently been playing World of Warcraft, where there's a Bad Guy Army that is implicitly going for all the pieces on the chessboard, not just Our Home World.

I had the same reaction, but I'm willing to cut Strange some slack given the situation and his lack of experience. And I wouldn't be surprised if that came up again in regards to Mordo's whole deal with the bill coming due. Also, Earth kinda needs better safeguarding since apparently it's of special interest to wrinkly-head guy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MisterBibs posted:

Unless you establish that Strange/the good guys are powerful enough to imprison or kill unimaginably powerful cosmic beings then the next best option is to send them packing. It's the Galactus problem. He's going to destroy a world, you just have to try and make sure it's not yours. Now, Strange's gambit IS to imprison Dormammu but that effectively imprisons Earth or the whole universe at the same time. And if Strange could kill Dormammu, what would that mean for future Strange films or MCU films?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

MisterBibs posted:

There was no way that Strange could've outright defeated Dormammu given his level of experience and power level. If he didn't have the Eye of Agamotto (with the time stone), he would've been hosed. I personally liked the way they handled it, as Strange has made a bargain before with Dormammu in the past. It felt reminiscent of the countless stories in the past about making a "deal with the devil."

Lobok posted:

Unless you establish that Strange/the good guys are powerful enough to imprison or kill unimaginably powerful cosmic beings then the next best option is to send them packing. It's the Galactus problem. He's going to destroy a world, you just have to try and make sure it's not yours. Now, Strange's gambit IS to imprison Dormammu but that effectively imprisons Earth or the whole universe at the same time. And if Strange could kill Dormammu, what would that mean for future Strange films or MCU films?

Pretty much this, exactly. I could see Dormammu being the "big bad" of Phase 4 of the Cinematic Universe, I highly doubt that was the last we'll see of him.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I really liked this movie, but I wish there were like half as many quips and also that its main theme sounded a little less like Harry Potter's.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Was Strange's bargain that Dormammu would leave Earth alone in perpetuity? I thought the bargain was simply that he would undo what he was attempting this instance with Mads and withdraw now to leave Earth alone for the moment, not forever. He, Wong and, in theory Mordo etc. would have to be vigilant against future threats, but Dormammu wouldn't take Earth through Mads' effort essentially.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw it this afternoon with my family. Formula Marvel, perhaps, nothing aside from the balls-to-the-walls special effects is very original, but it's fun. Solid actors in lead roles, pointless love interest, plenty of humor, great action sequences, etc.

The Cloak of Levitation might be my favorite character in the movie. I hope Mordo won't be an outright villain in the future - I enjoyed his relationship with Strange, and would prefer him as an antagonist but not outright evil.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mordo first appeared 9 years after Lord of the Rings was published. That's just lazy by Stan Lee, like Sinestro in Green Lantern.

Or maybe I just don't get comics.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

I really liked this movie, but I wish there were like half as many quips and also that its main theme sounded a little less like Harry Potter's.

Yeah, if I could change one thing, it would be to get them to stop undercutting the tension with a mediocre joke. The Mister Doctor bits and some other jokes worked, but some didn't land well enough for me to justify the abrupt change in tone. Still, the visuals alone elevate it above the rest of these things.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Actually, the theme sounded a lot like the new Star Trek films. Disturbingly so.

Which makes sense since Michael Giacchino did both.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Josh Lyman posted:

Mordo first appeared 9 years after Lord of the Rings was published. That's just lazy by Stan Lee, like Sinestro in Green Lantern.

Or maybe I just don't get comics.

Those dudes are the opposite of lazy. By the time recognizable Marvel characters had appeared they had already created countless monsters and creatures and bad guys, several times a month for years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It makes perfect sense as well that Mordo has the staff of the Living Tribunal. Nice bit of foreshadowing . He also has the boots from Jupiter Rising

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I loved the visuals of the movie, it was so much fun to actually watch, but I felt like the writing was off and there were too many jokes in what should have been a more serious film. If the visual effects hadn't been as good as they were I really would have wrote this movie off for being a bad action/comedy and Marvel's first bad movie.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

I had the same reaction, but I'm willing to cut Strange some slack given the situation and his lack of experience. And I wouldn't be surprised if that came up again in regards to Mordo's whole deal with the bill coming due. Also, Earth kinda needs better safeguarding since apparently it's of special interest to wrinkly-head guy.

I took it more as foreshadowing that the bill due will be due to Strange's use of the Time gem attracting Thanos to Earth to claim it. And I know it's an earth story, but why the gently caress were there 3 Infinity Gems kept on Earth in the first place. Marvel's celestial entities aren't very smart or the gems are purposely trying to be united.

Overall I liked the movie. However I agree about some of the comedy bits falling flat, especially if you were to compare it to what Downey or Rudd or Hemsworth have brought to their movies. The pacing did seem off a bit at times and I was surprised how much action there was. I thought with the cast they had, the movie might have been a bit more philosophical (and I mean philosophical for a Marvel movie). But the dangers of using the Time gem, was there, even if felt oblique

There was one guy at the theatre during the credits who didn't quite follow the whole Time Gem premise, so it was nice to talk to a few others and catch the guy up who lit up and said, "I just watched Guardians yesterday for the first time, it now makes so much more sense!"

I'll probably see it again... this time in 3D - I'm not a huge fan of 3D movies, but this one I think definitely deserves it.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I hope Mordo won't be an outright villain in the future - I enjoyed his relationship with Strange, and would prefer him as an antagonist but not outright evil.

I feel exactly the same way. I would really like Strange and Mordo to have an Xavier/Magneto dynamic, where Mordo is simply an antagonist with an opposing philosophy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's the third movie, after Avatar and Gravity, that I think does enough to make 3D worth it.

And, yeah, part of the problem with the comedy is that Benedict Cumberbatch isn't exactly up to Paul Rudd when it comes to a comedic performance.

In regards to a third gem being on Earth, they're pretty clearly building up to Earth being, in some way, special. It's not just a coincidence.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's the third movie, after Avatar and Gravity, that I think does enough to make 3D worth it.

Oh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit forgot all about Gravity! That was more like one of those 3D simulator rides than a movie really, but, yeah, that's one that I'd recommend in 3D, you're totally right. My other two are Green Hornet, and Jackass 3D, which I both think did things with 3D that couldn't be done without. And yeah, this one, for sure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

In regards to a third gem being on Earth, they're pretty clearly building up to Earth being, in some way, special. It's not just a coincidence.

In the comic continuity Earth is special, mostly because of its location. It's the most strategically positioned habitable world between the Kree and Skrull Empires, the anchor point for the eight Asgardian realms and a bunch of other things that haven't yet arisen in the movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

!Klams posted:

Oh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit forgot all about Gravity! That was more like one of those 3D simulator rides than a movie really, but, yeah, that's one that I'd recommend in 3D, you're totally right. My other two are Green Hornet, and Jackass 3D, which I both think did things with 3D that couldn't be done without. And yeah, this one, for sure.

Yeah, Gravity is one of those movies that I had a blast seeing once in 3D on a bigass IMAX screen and then never felt the need to see again. Haven't seen the former of your two in 3D, unfortunately, and haven't seen the latter at all.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

geeves posted:

I took it more as foreshadowing that the bill due will be due to Strange's use of the Time gem attracting Thanos to Earth to claim it. And I know it's an earth story, but why the gently caress were there 3 Infinity Gems kept on Earth in the first place. Marvel's celestial entities aren't very smart or the gems are purposely trying to be united.

Overall I liked the movie. However I agree about some of the comedy bits falling flat, especially if you were to compare it to what Downey or Rudd or Hemsworth have brought to their movies. The pacing did seem off a bit at times and I was surprised how much action there was. I thought with the cast they had, the movie might have been a bit more philosophical (and I mean philosophical for a Marvel movie). But the dangers of using the Time gem, was there, even if felt oblique

There was one guy at the theatre during the credits who didn't quite follow the whole Time Gem premise, so it was nice to talk to a few others and catch the guy up who lit up and said, "I just watched Guardians yesterday for the first time, it now makes so much more sense!"

I'll probably see it again... this time in 3D - I'm not a huge fan of 3D movies, but this one I think definitely deserves it.

It's not quite that bad I didn't think?

The mind stone was given to Loki by Thanos. Who knows where he got it from.

Wasn't the Aether was stashed somewhere before it jumped into Natalie Portman and was then briefly taken to Earth?

The Power Stone was off on some random planet waiting for Shart Lord to discover it.

Only the Tesseract and [spoiler]Eye of Agamotto were on Earth I thought? Unless I'm misremembering Thor 2.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Stunt Rock posted:

It's not quite that bad I didn't think?

The mind stone was given to Loki by Thanos. Who knows where he got it from.

Wasn't the Aether was stashed somewhere before it jumped into Natalie Portman and was then briefly taken to Earth?

The Power Stone was off on some random planet waiting for Shart Lord to discover it.

Only the Tesseract and [spoiler]Eye of Agamotto were on Earth I thought? Unless I'm misremembering Thor 2.

No, I think you're right. It was the whole Convergence macguffin that kind of blurs where it really was.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm really happy that I liked this movie. It's the one I had high expectations for.

I'm not the biggest fan of Cumberbatch but he eventually won me over in the end. Some awkward comedic delivery but great scenes with Palmer and Kaecilius and The Ancient One. Overall, the best character of the movie to me was the Ancient One and the highlight was of course the effects. Every fight was dynamic and breathtaking.

I guess my gripes with the movie are

1. The Ancient One getting merc'd. Seemed like she got defeated quickly in New York and then loving died. Maybe I'm just bitter that we won't see Tilda Swinton again. Her death monologue was surprisingly sad though.

2. Dormammu's mirage in the dark dimension looked way too much like Thanos to the extent that people in the theatre actually thought it was Thanos at first. Dormammu getting a role and then losing through the groundhog day was a fantastic debut though.

3. The astral projection had a bit of an uncanny valley effect and I laughed at a few parts.

I've never seen a Marvel origin movie that did so much set-up for its sequel and Mordo becoming the sympathetic villain with different ideals will be interesting. I selfishly want flaming head Dormammu and Shuma-Gorath though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shneak posted:

2. Dormammu's mirage in the dark dimension looked way too much like Thanos to the extent that people in the theatre actually thought it was Thanos at first. Dormammu getting a role and then losing through the groundhog day was a fantastic debut though.

I got a different vibe.

Dormammu is the Master Control Program and Mads is Sark

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I wish the movie had been structured a bit differently where as The entire beginning is shifted to afterwards and Mads is there in the sanctum with Strange. It'd be more interesting for them to interact not in opposition to each other and Mads sharing his philosophy then trying to recruit Strange as a disciple . You wouldn't get the very beginning but whatever. Also, Strange needed like 10 minutes tops of him being a dickish Doctor

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Seemlar posted:

The Stan Lee cameo is a really bad one, just lovely and interrupts a major scene in an intrusive way. They need to just stop doing these already.

For this movie, the cameo sucked. But I still think Stan "The Man" Lee cameos can be done well. Deadpool for the best Stan cameo in all of Marvel cinema.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Shneak posted:

1. The Ancient One getting merc'd. Seemed like she got defeated quickly in New York and then loving died. Maybe I'm just bitter that we won't see Tilda Swinton again. Her death monologue was surprisingly sad though.

I wouldn't call living several lifetimes a quick death. She said she saw that moment many many times before, so it was her time to go regardless. How she got in that state didn't really matter too much.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Gravity is one of those movies that I had a blast seeing once in 3D on a bigass IMAX screen and then never felt the need to see again. Haven't seen the former of your two in 3D, unfortunately, and haven't seen the latter at all.

I'm playing through Tomb Raider right now and Gravity looks exactly like the platforming and puzzles feel. Or Uncharted if you're more familiar with that. Uncharted... In Space!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

That's funny, I thought it sounded near identical to the JJ Star Trek theme. Michael Giacchino did both themes too.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, it was definitely a few notes away from being Enterprising Young Men at points, which is weird because Giacchino is typically pretty good at making his scores audibly distinct from each other.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, if I could change one thing, it would be to get them to stop undercutting the tension with a mediocre joke. The Mister Doctor bits and some other jokes worked, but some didn't land well enough for me to justify the abrupt change in tone. Still, the visuals alone elevate it above the rest of these things.

It's weird how they kept throwing in jokes specifically at emotional or tense moments. Kaecalius calling Strange "Mr. Doctor" just as he lays out his philosophy, the cloak wiping away his tears, Palmer's exasperation as Strange calls for her because he's bringing in the dying Ancient One. I expect it was deliberate, to ease the viewer into this new Marvel Universe angle of actual magic, but it came close to ruining the drama a few times.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah, it was definitely a few notes away from being Enterprising Young Men at points, which is weird because Giacchino is typically pretty good at making his scores audibly distinct from each other.

He's a great composer and he did a good job with this movie overall. It was just surprising how similar it was.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

davidspackage posted:

It's weird how they kept throwing in jokes specifically at emotional or tense moments. Kaecalius calling Strange "Mr. Doctor" just as he lays out his philosophy, the cloak wiping away his tears, Palmer's exasperation as Strange calls for her because he's bringing in the dying Ancient One. I expect it was deliberate, to ease the viewer into this new Marvel Universe angle of actual magic, but it came close to ruining the drama a few times.

I don't think it has anything to do with this being the introduction of magic – I doubt the audience really cares – just the typical MCU fear of sincerity.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nichael posted:

He's a great composer and he did a good job with this movie overall. It was just surprising how similar it was.

Still didn't stop it from being one of the best scores of the MCU in any case, though GotG (both licensed and orchestral tracks) is still my personal favorite.

Speaking of, did anyone else get the GotG 2 sneak peek before their showing? Thought that was supposed to be an online-only thing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Speaking of, did anyone else get the GotG 2 sneak peek before their showing? Thought that was supposed to be an online-only thing.

Yeah, got the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailer. It played a bunch of places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, this is one of my criticisms of the movie; it's just so packed full of wild zingers (about a good quarter of which are the cloak just being Carpet from Aladdin) that hardly any moments get to land.

Other thoughts:

1. I was full on expecting this to be Iron Man, But Magic, and it thankfully wasn't. However, Rachel McAdams was definitely Pepper Pots, But Medicine. She honestly feels like her whole plot was written in after test audiences were confused by Strange and Mordo never kissing, despite obviously being lovers

2. Strong first act, cool setpieces at the climax, but the middle is just chock-full of a whole bunch of useless kung fu

3. They say "Dark Dimension" and "Mirror Dimension" a cool dozen-plus times each without the slightest hint of irony or self-awareness, which I'm not sure if I love or hate

4. Visually I think what I most appreciated were kirby dots at the end and the Bill & Ted time tunnel in the beginning

5. Maybe my favorite moment is the hospital PA calling for Dr. Rachel McAdams to report to the ER because it's this incredibly mundane bit of dialogue that comes crashing into the scene as if no one in the hospital cares that the Master of Disguise just soul-died on the operating table

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 5, 2016

• Locked thread