Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: WONDER WOMAN IS A UN AMBASSADOR NOW AND WHY IS THIS A THING. :siren:

What the loving gently caress is this? What next? Hey UN! Are you going to appoint Superman from Superman IV? Might as well lose some more of your ability to be taken seriously! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm sorry, did you expect the world to not be absurd?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I've seen this all over the news. Pretty sad that the UN is reduced to helping Warner Bros pull off a newsjacking marketing campaign for the new Wonder Woman movie. Like we are really meant to believe this decision is completely unrelated to the upcoming film.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
okay fine we'll change it to Black Cat.

goddamn marvel fans

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
soon all of western culture will be super heroes

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mercrom posted:

soon all of western culture will be super heroes
I would request the Clinton Administration to stop funding the UN if things got that absurd. It's not like the UN has any kind of bite behind it's bark politically or anything, besides ceremonious gestures anyway.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Grouchio posted:

I would request the Clinton Administration to stop funding the UN if things got that absurd. It's not like the UN has any kind of bite behind it's bark politically or anything, besides ceremonious gestures anyway.

Who do you think got the un to promote their new movie? The same people who own clinton

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A year ago, this would be loving ridiculous and insulting.

In October 2016, it's not even in the top ten most ridiculous things to happen this week.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Grouchio posted:

That'll just speed it up. They'll have to raise those funds by appointing Coca Cola the official UN Taste Ambassador.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hey if Donald Duck can be in the navy...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That'll just speed it up. They'll have to raise those funds by appointing Coca Cola the official UN Taste Ambassador.

Coca-Cola will be head of the Special Committee on Music Education

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman IV is arguably the best superman.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Grouchio posted:

:siren: WONDER WOMAN IS A UN AMBASSADOR NOW AND WHY IS THIS A THING. :siren:

What the loving gently caress is this? What next? Hey UN! Are you going to appoint Superman from Superman IV? Might as well lose some more of your ability to be taken seriously! :suicide:

Reminder than until this year Saudi Arabia, Russia and China were all on the UNHCR. It is almost like the UN is a garbage institution that exists only to provide well paying jobs for the political class.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Xena for women's ambassador 2018.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I don't understand.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its about time Themyscira is acknowledged as a sovereign state. i hope this means good things for Atlantis in the future

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NihilismNow posted:

Reminder than until this year Saudi Arabia, Russia and China were all on the UNHCR. It is almost like the UN is a garbage institution that exists only to provide well paying jobs for the political class.

lmfao
saudi-arabia-wins-bid-to-behead-of-un-human-rights-council-panel
http://blog.unwatch.org/index.php/2015/09/20/saudi-arabia-wins-bid-to-behead-of-un-human-rights-council-panel/

whoever created that article URL is a funny funny person

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
why would you ever use a comic book character when you have a perfectly good emma goldman lying around

quote:

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

The most violent element in society is ignorance.

I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck.

When we can't dream any longer we die.

Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Free love? as if love is anything but free. Man has bought brains, but all the millions in the world have failed to buy love.

If love does not know how to give and take without restrictions, it is not love, but a transaction that never fails to lay stress on a plus and a minus.

The demand for equal rights in every vocation of life is just and fair; but, after all, the most vital right is the right to love and be loved.

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.

Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Who do you think got the un to promote their new movie? The same people who own clinton

Washington DC (detective comics?????). It's too much to just be a coincidence.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

dookifex_maximus posted:

why would you ever use a comic book character when you have a perfectly good emma goldman lying around
Because she's been dead since before Wonder Woman.

Lots of living women who could do the job fine, though.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
sure but why would you wanna get any women mixed up in the disgusting world of the UN? you know they rape people right?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jBrereton posted:

Because she's been dead since before Wonder Woman.

Lots of living women who could do the job fine, though.

for instance the actor who plays wonderwoman in the new movies

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

paul_soccer10 posted:

for instance the actor who plays wonderwoman in the new movies
Sure, why not.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
what about that little communist bulletsponge from afghanistan

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Looking forward to the committee on bdsm warcrimes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dookifex_maximus posted:

what about that little communist bulletsponge from afghanistan
She already has a Nobel Laureate, something far more valuable than an honorary UN seat granted to a work of fiction.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
if there's one thing ive learned from third wave feminism beating me over my straight white male head, it's that women need role models. so what better role model than a hot sexy superhero that kicks rear end? she's strong, smart, AND sexy!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

There was a protest, but it was mainly in regards to her being too sexualized to deserve such recognition over real people, rather than the obvious use of the UN for newsjacking promotion of a movie. I guess it is very hard to criticise something that people claim is for the benefit of feminism unless you are also criticising it with claims of feminism.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why use wonder woman when they have Emma Watson? Geez UN

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Sethex posted:

Why use wonder woman when they have Emma Watson? Geez UN

Make her a double ambassador?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My GF went as wonder woman one year for Halloween. It was pretty good.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Yep a big titty caricature created to live out the author's bdsm fantasies will be the perfect instrument to finally break the chains of women's oppression worldwide. Thank God.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Moon Atari posted:

There was a protest, but it was mainly in regards to her being too sexualized to deserve such recognition over real people, rather than the obvious use of the UN for newsjacking promotion of a movie. I guess it is very hard to criticise something that people claim is for the benefit of feminism unless you are also criticising it with claims of feminism.

It's also seen as a dumb consolation prize after the big failed campaign to get a female Secretary General for the first time ever

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Toadvine posted:

It's also seen as a dumb consolation prize after the big failed campaign to get a female Secretary General for the first time ever

That seems more like a deliberate condescending insult than a consolation prize.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Super heroes? I :love:LOVE:love: Super heroes!

Put Tony Stark on the dollar bill imo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Imagine Milhouse's voice "Hey that's [awesome], and the world needs [more superheros]!"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Professor Shark posted:

Super heroes? I :love:LOVE:love: Super heroes!

Put Tony Stark on the dollar bill imo

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
The UN announces the boss baby as their honorary ambassador for infant mortality and poverty awareness

Alec Baldwin delivered an impassioned speech before the collected delegates.

Moon Atari posted:

That seems more like a deliberate condescending insult than a consolation prize.

If it were any other organization I'd agree.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Because Wonder Woman is cool and good, OP.

It's no different than when the US Marine Corps made Bugs Bunny an honorary marine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

drat horror queefs posted:

Yep a big titty caricature created to live out the author's bdsm fantasies will be the perfect instrument to finally break the chains of women's oppression worldwide. Thank God.
True.

Applewhite posted:

Because Wonder Woman is cool and good, OP.
Also true.

This proves both points:

• Locked thread