Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
is everything we experience just a complex illusion? are we alljust blips and blobs of data in a really big space computer? consider the evidence:

• all observed phenomena are, at least in principle, calculable; there's nothing that exists which can't be described mathematically.

• the finite speed of light allows for asynchronous computation of distant reference frames

• the cutting edge of quantum chronodynamics suggests the underlying structure of the universe is a grid, just like you'd expect inside a computer.

• many objects appear to be too simplified. for example, when you leap on a turtle shell, the turtle doesn't go shooting out wearing a tank top and striped boxer shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
descartes was kind of a moron actually

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

props to the researchers grifting silicon valley billionaires with "research" about ways to break out of the simulation tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

there was nothing simulated about me having sex with your mom, op

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

short answer: no.

slightly longer answer: the idea is completely un-testable and sufficiently similar to religious thinking that for all practical purposes No.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fuckin dorks wanting the matrix to be real

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bloody posted:

props to the researchers grifting silicon valley billionaires with "research" about ways to break out of the simulation tho

if the universe were a simulation it would mean there's some godlike extradimensional ubernerd running it on their sick gaming rig, so you can see why the idea appeals to dweebs with an overinflated sense of self worth

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
that is to say, yes op it is a simulation

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I think I need to be defragmented I'm running very slowly

George
Nov 27, 2004

he seriously just starts making up terminology without defining it and uses it to justify arguments down the road

like what mathematician in his right mind would do such a thing

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
what a lovely simulation this is

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Suits my needs, BITCH!!!!!!!!!!

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

angry_keebler posted:

chomodynamics

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

woah. I know Kung fu!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

imagine how poo poo the real world must be

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
okay, so get this

i went out to my shop and started swinging a crowbar at a bunch of cardboard boxes, and when i hit them they exploded with a big puff of dust and like some little bugs and spiders and stuff started crawling out. and when i went to look for the bugs i couldn't find any?

hmm... where else do you find a bunch of pointless empty boxes that emit a cloud of dust and bugs that disappear when you stop looking at them?

Randel Candygram
Jun 21, 2008

College Slice

angry_keebler posted:

okay, so get this

i went out to my shop and started swinging a crowbar at a bunch of cardboard boxes, and when i hit them they exploded with a big puff of dust and like some little bugs and spiders and stuff started crawling out. and when i went to look for the bugs i couldn't find any?

hmm... where else do you find a bunch of pointless empty boxes that emit a cloud of dust and bugs that disappear when you stop looking at them?

don't... sign your posts?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
op read this book if the topic of the singularity and simulacra interests you;

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it is far more likely that your brain is a simulation and all of the sensory input is fake than the entire universe being simulated. the rest of us aren't even here, we're all fake and you're a piece of software that thinks it's a yosposter.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
In July 2010, LessWrong contributor Roko posted a thought experiment to the site in which an otherwise benevolent future AI system retroactively tortures anyone who did not work to bring the system into existence. This idea came to be known as "Roko's basilisk," based on Roko's idea that merely hearing about the idea would give the hypothetical AI system stronger incentives to employ blackmail. Yudkowsky deleted Roko's posts on the topic, calling it "stupid" and "dangerous" and claiming that it had caused nightmares for some site users.

George
Nov 27, 2004

if reality were fake then we wouldn't be so scared of it

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

everything we have done, and will do, is ultimately pointless.

but boy what a ride eh? computers!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it doesn't matter. it is p

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

everything we have done, and will do, is ultimately pointless.

but boy what a ride eh? computers!

it's pointless even if it's real so who cares?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if someone wanted to subjugate us the simulation would be instanced and everything would be occluded. no way they're putting people in here together

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if someone wanted to subjugate us the simulation would be instanced and everything would be occluded. no way they're putting people in here together

So Trump is my fault?

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i wish i was in a flight sim instead of this stupid ground-based bullshit

look at me, pumping my legs up and down against hard surfaces like rocks and cement. it's loving dumb. "oh duhhh let me just push myself off of the earth"

gently caress that poo poo. why don't i just propel myself because there's a rocket strapped to my rear?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Bloody posted:

remember the tron sequel where the sexy girl program leaves the grid at the end? Well we need 40 million dollars to investigate that possibility

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

George
Nov 27, 2004

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

remember the tron sequel where the sexy girl program leaves the grid at the end? Well we need 40 million dollars to investigate that possibility

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

angry_keebler posted:

[*] all observed phenomena are, at least in principle, calculable; there's nothing that exists which can't be described mathematically.

black holes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
pretty sure you could be describe a black hole Mathematically it's just that we don't know what happens in one

it would probably require new math but thats/ the beauty of Meath

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
only the mathematics of love can describe a black hole, as shown in the hit movie interstellar

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wanna say the math breaks when you hit the center like it becomes infinite

although I guess that's describing it in a way

George
Nov 27, 2004

real talk tho we still have no idea wtf consciousness "is" because our understanding of truth in science relies on objective measurements

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i dont exist irl

im just your brains projection of who youd like to become one day

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what do you mean "just" a computer simulation? it's the best computer simulation afaik

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

its got good graphics but the combat mechanics are lacking and I'm not a fan of the dating sim elements

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I think that I'm tired of all this free-to-play bullshit and would like to whale out, how do I get my character's account flush with funbux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blue Train posted:

I wanna say the math breaks when you hit the center like it becomes infinite

although I guess that's describing it in a way

that just means we need a new model

• Locked thread