Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Raku posted:

if auburn beat us again after a perfect #1 ranked season I might actually die

I'd suggest a suicide pact if I didn't think it was an understood point already. So how worried should I be about Eddie being out of the picture? Who's his replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DJExile posted:

I wasn't aware canadian college football was even a thing, but drat

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/790023108233007104?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Yeah but those scores are Metric... that's only like 24-17.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I like the create a team bear logo with that mouth

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

I'd suggest a suicide pact if I didn't think it was an understood point already. So how worried should I be about Eddie being out of the picture? Who's his replacement?

I still don't think it will happen, but just to get you worrying a little bit I read today that Auburn has never lost to Saban when they go into the Iron Bowl with at least 9 wins.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
N:

https://twitter.com/leebeeowh/status/790599523298979840

V: We might score 13 instead of 10 now

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
TFF COLLEGE PICK 'EM UPDATE

Here are the results from week 8:

Congrats to the four people who picked PSU to cover against OSU!

Here's the leaderboard:

Here are the picks for week 9:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

I wasn't aware canadian college football was even a thing, but drat

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/790023108233007104?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

would you believe a French-Canadian team has the most Vanier Cup (their championship) wins?

GO ROUGE ET OR

e: gently caress the Rouge et Or, this video made me a Carabins fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJXubF6Xb4

Alaois fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 24, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jim Harbaugh, a rational and emotionally balanced human being, is still bitching about losing a ball spot challenge.

In the waning moments of a blowout.

Against Illinois.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

but Wisconsin will score 7

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

DJExile posted:

Jim Harbaugh, a rational and emotionally balanced human being, is still bitching about losing a ball spot challenge.

In the waning moments of a blowout.

Against Illinois.

I didn't realize what a weird person he is until he arrived at Michigan. It's like Spurrier and his visor, though; no one cares when they keep winning.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It was a brutally terrible call and I can't comprehend how it wasn't overturned

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I didn't realize what a weird person he is until he arrived at Michigan. It's like Spurrier and his visor, though; no one cares when they keep winning.

Being at a private school that doesn't have the same moonbat crazy fanbase and media attention as Michigan helps. Same with being at an NFL team where not only were you winning but your front office was an even bigger clownshow than you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It was a brutally terrible call and I can't comprehend how it wasn't overturned

I could maybe see being upset in the moment when it happened, but if you're still bitching about it literally 48 hours later, and bring it up without any prompting from the media, then something is wrong with you.

E: speaking of unhinged people, I think we found the LSU version of VodkaSamm

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 24, 2016

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

DJExile posted:

I could maybe see being upset in the moment when it happened, but if you're still bitching about it literally 48 hours later, and bring it up without any prompting from the media, then something is wrong with you.

Being petty and vindictive has probably saved more coaches than it has hurt. Not that I think he's doing himself any favors by criticizing the conference refs.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
It's just one of those weird things that rival fans like to bring up and Michigan fans don't give a poo poo about.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Regnevelc posted:

but Wisconsin will score 7

I know their O is kinda bad too but Wisconsin has had our number since we joined the B1G and literally nobody around here is feeling good about this game

E: The line is Wisconsin -8

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Regnevelc posted:

It's just one of those weird things that rival fans like to bring up and Michigan fans don't give a poo poo about.

of course Michigan fans don't care about their coach being a total psycho, why would they

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Alaois posted:

of course Michigan fans don't care about their coach being a total psycho, why would they

Yeah, we're winning. We don't give a poo poo.

I'd rather have him be a nutjob than some of the other stuff going on around college football.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

He's a goddamn savant

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I don't know people keep picking against Bama, even ATS it's a fool's errand.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I am glad our coach is quietly psychotic and not a loud one

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Harbaugh being Rainman doesn't matter while he's winning but there's 100% chance it'll become a thing people make a big deal about the first time Michigan loses a couple of games in a row.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

So late November

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DJExile posted:

I would like to see a mini 30 for 30 on fans like this and where are they now. Like for real, what is Vodka Sam up to these days?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, we're winning. We don't give a poo poo.

I'd rather have him be a nutjob than some of the other stuff going on around college football.

I find Harbaugh to be queer and I am impugning the virtue of the Michigan Man when I say this.

Your wins cannot shield you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

I would like to see a mini 30 for 30 on fans like this and where are they now. Like for real, what is Vodka Sam up to these days?

It'd probably be all but impossible. If memory serves she went into treatment for alcoholism, and I'd imagine anyone in these situations would far rather keep a low profile.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Quandary posted:

I don't know people keep picking against Bama

Makes me think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4GAj2v4BIE

DJExile posted:

You've got the population of a small city in one place. Someone's bound to go off the rails.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My thoughts on some of these things:

TheGreyGhost posted:

Some thoughts on the current state of the Buckeyes:

- The playcalling, after flirting with success at the start of the year, is back to being completely inexplicable on offense. Getting Curtis Samuel only 10 touches, with like 2 out of the backfield is ridiculous, especially when it's been shown the whole night that the edge is where that defense was vulnerable, and he nearly blew the drat game open with his long TD run in the second half. Everyone in the stadium knew when Weber came in that he wasn't cutting outside the tackle box. This predictable, vanilla spread works fine when you have a crazy talent edge, but Penn State is close enough that you can't afford that risk, just like you really couldn't against Wisconsin either. The playcalling wasn't great against Wisconsin, but they at least were able to figure out things like "Noah Brown is big as gently caress. Let's get him isolated and throw the ball there" before it's too late.

I go back and forth on this. The calling is bad, without a doubt, but I think the WR unit is so loving tremendously lovely that I almost don't even know what they can do about it. I mean, the receivers are absolute dogshit with the exception of Noah Brown (who isn't even that good outside of jump balls) that the only plays that actually work are predictable as gently caress. I mean, you're left with a run play that anyone will see coming, an incomplete pass or a coverage sack. Those are really lovely choices.

TheGreyGhost posted:

- In a similar vein, I don't think you can run an 8-10 receiver rotation in a game that close. Barrett is so finicky with his timing that having anything other than like 5 guys out there risks throwing him off on stupid poo poo like the Parris Campbell clearout that he should have completed to Samuel but didn't. I understand that this team is crazy deep, but there is a grand total of one player you legitimately have to scheme around on offense right now, and that's Samuel. They need to find outside receivers that complement what he does. Also James Clark absolutely should have caught that deep ball considering it hit him in the drat helmet.

- Where in the blue gently caress has the deep ball gone. Like, I realize Devin Smith isn't walking through that door, but the program's best offense ever was 2014, largely because there was a credible vertical threat to go along with the Michael Thomas/Jalin Marshall/Zeke concerns that teams had to have in the intermediate/short/running categories respectively. Without a vertical stretch, you can do exactly what Penn State did and camp out against the line because there's not penalty for not doing so. And don't tell me it's because Barrett has a baby arm or some poo poo like that, because he was the guy hitting Smith in stride all year.

Zach Smith is a lovely WR coach. He seems like a cool guy and a great recruiter but I don't know how you could say anything other than he is a lovely WR coach at this point. Any receiver who has been any good under Urban was here before Smith. All of the guys rostered who Urban brought in or came in under the year Fickell was in charge are terrible and have never gotten any better. None of these guys know how to turn a DB or break free of one. They all play like the only way they can get open is to outrun someone. It's awful to watch.

People are making GBS threads on Barrett's accuracy deep the last few games but I don't even know how you can expect a guy to develop timing when any one of 8 dudes is running deep on a given play. It has to be frustratingly impossible to time that correctly.

quote:

- Part of the deep ball issues are probably the inconsistent line play. The left side has been money this year, but Isaiah Prince has been mediocre at best in pass protection and is a false-start machine when it comes down to it. The protection didn't totally break until the last two drives, but man was it uninspiring to see a guy with NFL size get mauled all night.

I largely attribute this to what you said above about the lack of vertical stretch. Teams are so comfortable now throwing everything at this line that it's mindfucking every player up there. Nobody can get open so on any given pass attempt, JT is in the pocket for what seems like an eternity, which is making teams more comfortable on delayed rushes, so when they send three or four, the OSU o-line is so loving paranoid about a delayed rusher that they're completely out of sync.

quote:

- Good god Nick Bosa is superhuman. He was the best player in that game, and it really isn't close. Considering he's a true freshman coming off a torn ACL, that's absolutely absurd, and I'm so excited for 2.5 more seasons of that.

The majority of the interior line snaps should be Landers and Bosa at this point.

Moving Forward:

quote:

- Mike Weber and Curtis Samuel deserve to have carries at about a 2:1 ratio right now. Weber is obviously a workhorse, but using Samuel softens the defense up so much more for what Weber and the TE can do that it's absolutely criminal to give him fewer than 15 touches a game out of the backfield/in the slot right now. Similarly, stop limiting Barrett's carries to only designed QB Power/Draw runs and start letting him work the option game even more if you're not going to let him be a passing threat all over the field.

- Noah Brown and Parris Campbell need to start playing 70% of the snaps at this point. Dontre can be the other slot receiver for 4WR sets or when Samuel is off the field and step into the backfield at points, but he's just not good enough of a pure receiver to be out there in the slot on passing downs. KJ Hill and Terry McLaurin are both very talented, but the big hockey line shifts of receivers are absolutely killing the consistency of this team. Barrett needs to develop rhythm and chemistry with the starters before you can start threatening with the sub packages, and that's all there is to it.

Based purely off talent shown this year, I'm not sure they're best set up isn't having Brown, Wilson and Samuel at WR with Weber and McCall handling stuff in the backfield. Samuel is a phenomenal H-Back but the WRs are so bad I think it's worth trying. Also, McCall looks like a loving gamebreaker every time he touches the ball and I don't understand why a team so desperate for playmaking right now isn't at least trying him.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Zach Smith is a lovely WR coach. He seems like a cool guy and a great recruiter but I don't know how you could say anything other than he is a lovely WR coach at this point. Any receiver who has been any good under Urban was here before Smith. All of the guys rostered who Urban brought in or came in under the year Fickell was in charge are terrible and have never gotten any better. None of these guys know how to turn a DB or break free of one. They all play like the only way they can get open is to outrun someone. It's awful to watch.

He has the right family genes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Finebaum tweet ticker just now: "ARCHIE...stands for....A Rebel Crybaby Hollerin Illogical Excuse-maker", if we're ever in need of a thread title.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sportsgenius86 posted:

I go back and forth on this. The calling is bad, without a doubt, but I think the WR unit is so loving tremendously lovely that I almost don't even know what they can do about it. I mean, the receivers are absolute dogshit with the exception of Noah Brown (who isn't even that good outside of jump balls) that the only plays that actually work are predictable as gently caress. I mean, you're left with a run play that anyone will see coming, an incomplete pass or a coverage sack. Those are really lovely choices.

I agree with this to a point. Jalin and Michael Thomas were both Urban guys through, so I don't think it's purely a Smith thing. I honestly think the biggest problem is that they churn so much that none of these guys have enough game reps or experience to know what the gently caress they're doing. Like, Corey Smith is pretty bad, but he's not playing at this point, and that's despite him ostensibly getting pretty decent burn for the '14 and '15 team where the level of receiving play was way better than where it is now. I don't imagine that's because Urban suddenly woke up and was like "woah this guy sucks", as much as I may wish. I think it's because this team probably has a poo poo ton of guys who can ball out in drills but have no idea what they're doing in game situations because they've had no real reps and don't spend enough time in the game to do anything. And considering the rotation is controlled by Smith as well as the instruction on routes and things like that, that is absolutely on him. But I don't think it's a purely a "we have no idea how to run routes" type of thing. Perfect example was the Parris Campbell/Curtis Samuel clearout design near the endzone where both receivers technically knew what they were supposed to do and broke the route correctly but both looked uncomfortable with the timing of it, with Campbell wanting to break it late and Samuel wanting to break it earlier. If you have no idea who is running a concept with you, it throws your perception of space off, which makes things even worse if you're Barrett.

quote:

People are making GBS threads on Barrett's accuracy deep the last few games but I don't even know how you can expect a guy to develop timing when any one of 8 dudes is running deep on a given play. It has to be frustratingly impossible to time that correctly.

I largely attribute this to what you said above about the lack of vertical stretch. Teams are so comfortable now throwing everything at this line that it's mindfucking every player up there. Nobody can get open so on any given pass attempt, JT is in the pocket for what seems like an eternity, which is making teams more comfortable on delayed rushes, so when they send three or four, the OSU o-line is so loving paranoid about a delayed rusher that they're completely out of sync.

This is back to Smith's rotation and the fact that we're terrified to call verts since the OCs have no goddamn idea who going deep and if they'll be able to get open I suppose. Barrett stuck the ball right on Clark, and he dropped it. If that's Brown, he probably catches it, but we had a backup receiver in for that because...uh... I would love to see them play their loving starters in crunch time

quote:

Based purely off talent shown this year, I'm not sure they're best set up isn't having Brown, Wilson and Samuel at WR with Weber and McCall handling stuff in the backfield. Samuel is a phenomenal H-Back but the WRs are so bad I think it's worth trying. Also, McCall looks like a loving gamebreaker every time he touches the ball and I don't understand why a team so desperate for playmaking right now isn't at least trying him.

McCall is really good but also kinda small and fragile. He missed a lot of time in high school with nagging injuries, so Urban appears to be taking it easy with him and letting Marrotti bulk him up. I would love to see him getting some reps, especially considering Samuel is easily the best receiver we have out of the slot. Although I say this and we'll probably get a bunch of stupid Dontre Wilson "almost go for 50, only go for 5" sweeps and screens instead.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

N: Westerkamp, the #1 wr and roommate of the starting quarterback will play in the Wisconsin game.

V: I'm thinking we're going to score 16 :grin:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
News: Purdue played an extremely good first half and led Nebraska at the half, and only lost by 2 scores.

Views: With only 5 days to prepare, our interim coach got more out of our team and coached better than the guy he replaced. There is some optimism the program is starting the LONG climb up from rock bottom.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

mayodreams posted:

I've tried watching the NFL this year, but any game I turn on is boring or not competitive. I looked up the final of the Seahawks / Cardinals last night and it was 6-6 in OT.

Then it hit me. The NFL is boring because Big10 football invaded.
The next time someone tries to tell me the NFL is a higher quality product, I'm pointing to that game. Don't get me wrong, watching two professional kickers each shank a game-winning 30 yard FG attempt in succession was hilarious, but you could imagine two MAC teams doing that on a Tuesday.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Incoherence posted:

The next time someone tries to tell me the NFL is a higher quality product, I'm pointing to that game. Don't get me wrong, watching two professional kickers each shank a game-winning 30 yard FG attempt in succession was hilarious, but you could imagine two MAC teams doing that on a Tuesday.

i can see one alabama team doing that in the biggest game of the season, for that matter. please graduate, adam griffith

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
What is the difference between these statistics?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/season-sos-by-other

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

As far as Oklahoma and Colorado are concerned, none.

It beats me how they come to those ratings. Not worth anyone's time to review them, IMHO.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Mike Leach continues to own:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Big 12 is restructuring its deal with ESPN and is expected to receive $10 million more per year in exchange for the pro rata deal being voided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It never would've happened in a million years for oh so many reasons, but drat do I wish Nebraska had hired Leach.

• Locked thread