Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Man, can you even imagine how bad Jordan gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Spoeank posted:

I've never been so excited about a sports thing as I am for the Russell Westbrook scorched earth campaign

Yeah I don't know if what they have will work or not, but I'm more excited to see what the Thunder do than any other team.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

My lurker opinion is that Durant will have a MVP level performance but not win MVP due to narrative reasons

you ain't a lurker you a fake rear end buster

RCarr posted:

I am very excite to watch my Knicks tonight

I am also "excited" to watch my knicks but it's the excitement before a battle where you're probably going to lose and die and your city will be razed by barbarians

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Go Thunder. They should sure be fun to watch this year and I hope Russ does many cool Russ things. Hopefully Dipo also does cool things.

Thinking about getting League Pass for OKC this year, anyone use it and have an opinion on it?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

wandler20 posted:

Go Thunder. They should sure be fun to watch this year and I hope Russ does many cool Russ things. Hopefully Dipo also does cool things.

Thinking about getting League Pass for OKC this year, anyone use it and have an opinion on it?

I've never purchased one of the league pass things because I have cable and there's usually enough games on that sates my basketball bloodlust. The downside is that you have to watch a lot of Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks, and LA Lakers games because of population demographics and not because of good basketball.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jota posted:

Dexo posted:

I'm gonna end up Rooting for MCW or Caanan I think.

As a Sixers fan, I can tell you that this is not an enjoyable decision.

#TrustTheProcess

Gar Foreman won't let me down :suicide:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

I used single team League Pass for the Pistons last year and had no problems with it. Re-upped again this year.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Also, to be fair to Freddette it's not as awkward a statement as it appears to be.

I think it's in response to this.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/790906717546483713

Nah "white American kid no matter what race they are" is some George W. Bush level stupid word mashing

anyhow I'm sure all the jewishes and white mexicans are proud that they have a AAAA player to look up to

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

wandler20 posted:

If you live anywhere near OKC you can't use league pass to watch Thunder games because USA League Pass is a bad product

WESTBROOK MVP
https://vine.co/v/56HrnFaMDVQ
OLADIPO CO MVP
https://vine.co/v/56wgpP5ExT5

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Libertine posted:

I've never purchased one of the league pass things because I have cable and there's usually enough games on that sates my basketball bloodlust. The downside is that you have to watch a lot of Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks, and LA Lakers games because of population demographics and not because of good basketball.

Usually OKC had plenty of games on cable because of Durant but I'm afraid after losing him they won't get as much coverage.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I used single team League Pass for the Pistons last year and had no problems with it. Re-upped again this year.

Good enough for me. Thanks.

Edit: I'm in ND so the only FS games I get are the TWolves games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

wandler20 posted:

Are you in the local broadcast area for OKC games? If yes, then don't get League Pass as all the games will be blacked out.

Also, all national broadcast games are blacked out on League Pass, no matter where you are. National games are on the following channels: TNT, ESPN, ABC, and NBATV.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
"LeBron had spent 13 years cruising through his career without a signature series or moment" - Bill Simmons, NBA super fan

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

Can any Spurs fan who watched the preseason tell me what new players to get excited about

Bryn Forbes and Davis Bertans could prove to be brilliant. Bertans will play, if Forbes can keep up his ~60% 3pt accuracy he'll play too.

Dejounte Murray will play in Austin but will develop into something really good. Laprovittola will be a solid manu-lite 3rd string PG.

David Lee will probably be a sieve on defense, but he can rebound and will score better than David West did last year, so I think he's a plus. Dwayne Dedmon is a foul machine. I mean literally a foul machine. If he can figure out how to control is massive body he'll be a great asset. Otherwise, eh.

Pau will, in my opinion be an upgrade to Duncan. Yes, I said it. Sure, his defense will not be as good, but the Spurs have plenty of room to spare in that department. Meanwhile, Duncan couldn't score last year, but Pau looks like he'll be able to and he's a good rebounder which the spurs desperately need.

Simmons still lacks control. Anderson is coming along nicely; how nicely will likely determine the outcome of the season. Manu is old but hopefully still has some left in the tank (especially come playoff time). Patty still likes to run and gun and might see some time at the 2 next to laprovittola. Danny Green is Danny Green. Great defense, streaking shooting. If his shooting is on we'll be in great shape. If not, well…Tony seems to have good chemistry with Pau on the P&R. Its an Olympic year so we'll see how long our Foreign Vets can stay healthy/fresh.

Aldridge is expected to have a massive year. I expect it too. He and Kawhi are now the offense and he was looking very comfortable at the end of last year. He still has a somewhat naturally awkward game, but I think by now they've work out the kinks.

Kawhi is Kawhi and this is the season we find out if he's a superstar or just the greatest "good" player to ever play.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

"LeBron had spent 13 years cruising through his career without a signature series or moment" - Bill Simmons, NBA super fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHaSiWClteQ

He was 23 years old.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Also, to be fair to Freddette it's not as awkward a statement as it appears to be.

I think it's in response to this.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/790906717546483713

Also this article doesn't even have one mention of the important word--puberty.

On average black folks tend to hit puberty at a slightly lower age than white folks (and asians hit puberty even later). This has a big effect on recruiting and scouting, which has a knock-on effect on who gets high-level training. Players who show a pro-basketball-potential body earlier will receive more and better training. If you're big enough to start practicing with the really good big kids at a younger age, you'll get moved up to AAU and essentially have an accelerated training program against higher level competition. The European regions producing NBA players have a uniformity of race which means you won't have as much variance in the age they hit puberty so the recruiting and training is going to be a bit more evenly distributed.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I know their roster is sort of a weird fit but I think Indy is getting overlooked big time in the East.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

LarksTongues posted:

Lurker checking in for the first time, I've been following this thread for years. As a wizards fan is there any silver lining this year? Obviously Durant wasnt going to happen, but we are counting on beal to stay healthy for a whole year, our bench is atrocious, and I still cant believe we panic traded a 1st last year for Morris. Oh and Scotty Brooks...

Scotty is a good coach don't let others say otherwise

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also this, even though they lost the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fD1MNjkPFs

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ty1990 posted:

I know their roster is sort of a weird fit but I think Indy is getting overlooked big time in the East.

They seem like a lock for the playoffs but a first year head coach is always a big question mark

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RaySmuckles posted:

Pau will, in my opinion be an upgrade to Duncan. Yes, I said it. Sure, his defense will not be as good, but the Spurs have plenty of room to spare in that department. Meanwhile, Duncan couldn't score last year, but Pau looks like he'll be able to and he's a good rebounder which the spurs desperately need.

I don't think it's too controversial! Pau was playing at an all-star level last few years and Duncan got so bad he was forced to retire

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Did he really say this

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Did he really say this

His NBA knowledge has really dropped off a cliff the last few years. He barely sounded like he knew what he was talking about on his preseason podcasts this year.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

Did he really say this

https://theringer.com/lebron-is-still-painting-his-masterpiece-bdad85037eb0

quote:

Everything peaked with Steph Curry and the gunslinging Warriors, our most popular juggernaut since Jordan’s Bulls … right until the greatest player since Jordan brought Cleveland back from 3–1 to spoil Golden State’s victory party. LeBron had spent 13 years cruising through his career without a signature series or moment, and within the span of three games, he had both. (Long live The Block.) But that Cavs-Warriors rematch stands as our most unforgettable Finals since 1998, one of those rare times when you could feel the league’s history shifting (and then it did). Almost immediately, we pivoted to the NBA draft, then the Durant sweepstakes and a barrage of other signings, and then Team USA and the Olympics. Only in late August did the NBA finally exhale.

I could sorta agree that The Block is kind of his first really truly Iconic single moment. Something that'll get replayed for decades. Ray Allen's shot was the biggest moment from his previous finals wins

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Hello, my name is Jack's Flow, and you can find me at the back of the coffeeshop on level 3 of the Golden State Hate Zone. I like the Warriors, Devin Booker, and Ben Gordon, who is a misunderstood butterfly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

EvanTH posted:

I could sorta agree that The Block is kind of his first really truly Iconic single moment. Something that'll get replayed for decades. Ray Allen's shot was the biggest moment from his previous finals wins

Depends on your qualifiers, he has several iconic moments that have gotten replayed endlessly for the last few years, they're just not from a game.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Anyone else feel like all the insatiable Towns hype means Anthony Davis is being hugely overlooked? Sure KAT put up one of the best ever rookie seasons, but Davis' 14/15 regular season was HOF caliber - not just awesome for a young guy, but awesome for anyone, ever. If he stays healthy for 70+ plus games (lol) then surely the Pelicans will be at least the eight seed. It's just really hard to lose a lot of games when you have one of the best seven or eight guys in the league starting for you, regardless of how garbage the surrounding cast is. Look at how Houston were a total shitshow last year but still won 41 games and took the eight seed purely because they have Harden.

This time last year people were talking up New Orleans as a possible four or five seed, Davis as an outside MVP candidate and how he's going to win multiple MVPs and be the face of the league for the next decade. And now it's like he's all of a sudden an afterthought.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 25, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I'm ready to crown Davis as the MVP as soon as he can remain healthy for any amount of time and lead the Pelicans to anything. I think he's a fantastic world class player but I'm pretty sure the hype train has been derailed after *injury list excel table jpg*

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tanglewood1420 posted:

Anyone else feel like all the insatiable Towns hype means Anthony Davis is being hugely overlooked? Sure KAT put up one of the best ever rookie seasons, but Davis' 14/15 regular season was HOF caliber - not just awesome for a young guy, but awesome for anyone, ever. If he stays healthy for 70+ plus games (lol) then surely the Pelicans will be at least the eight seed. It's just really hard to lose a lot of games when you have one of the best seven or eight guys in the league starting for you, regardless of how garbage the surrounding cast is. Look at how Houston were a total shitshow last year but still won 41 games and took the eight seed purely because they have Harden.

You answered your own question

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IcePhoenix posted:

Depends on your qualifiers, he has several iconic moments that have gotten replayed endlessly for the last few years, they're just not from a game.

I think the context is LeBron as GOAT, which is a mandatory Jordan comparison so he needs a single moment to compare to Jordan to Kerr, hitting the shot over Ehlo, hitting the shot over Russell type of thing. Basically Simmons has moved completely away from talking basketball and is doing cultural analysis which is more about How Me And My Friends Feel vs. anything factual and arguable.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Best ever PER for a 19 year old - A Davis 21.7
Best ever PER for a 20 year old - A Davis 26.5
Best ever PER for a 21 year old - A Davis 30.8
Anthony Davis' PER last season - 25.0

only possible explanation: Anthony Davis' career is over we should all forget about him completely.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wandler20 posted:

Could be a blast, could be a bust. Hopefully Oladipo is absorbing some Russ Jedi.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

EvanTH posted:

They seem like a lock for the playoffs but a first year head coach is always a big question mark

Anyone know how Indy looked in the pre-season? I'm skeptical that Nate McMillan can coach an NBA offense in 2016.

EvanTH posted:

What about Lebron's block on Splitter? Or his game against Detroit (which I assume is what someone linked already)? Or the pic of his alleyoop from Wade?

I also think that criticism is bullshit because LeBron isn't going to hoist an off balance 20 ft shot over 2 defenders so you can remember some iconic moment, he's going to make the right play and find the open man.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Davis vs Towns vs :siren:JOEL EMBIID!!!:siren: is gonna make for a fun decade of Big Man Ball.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
hello friends i'm back to enjoy basketball games. let's all have a good time.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ty1990 posted:

I think it's the opposite, most people are expecting them to be better this year. In fact I think they're gonna stink and I've never once been wrong

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

Could be a blast, could be a bust. Hopefully Oladipo is absorbing some Russ Jedi.

It's going to be fun watching Adams make the leap

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Sharparoni posted:

Davis vs Towns vs :siren:JOEL EMBIID!!!:siren: is gonna make for a fun decade of Big Man Ball.

Kristaps Porzingis is a better defender

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

What about Lebron's block on Splitter? Or his game against Detroit (which I assume is what someone linked already)? Or the pic of his alleyoop from Wade?

I also think that criticism is bullshit because LeBron isn't going to hoist an off balance 20 ft shot over 2 defenders so you can remember some iconic moment, he's going to make the right play and find the open man.

I mean they were good plays but they weren't a superhero sailing out of the deep blue at 90 MPH to save the day and letting all of Cleveland cry tears of joy (if he'd hit that Dunk, Oh My God). Those other things wasn't stopping a go-ahead easy bucket from the returning Finals MVP on the Best Regular Season Team of All Time. The Block is a way bigger moment than anything he had before to the point where it diminishes those accomplishments. Or at least I think so. Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd2GCwkTd38

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 25, 2016

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

EvanTH posted:

Kristaps Porzingis is a better defender

I mean they were good plays but they weren't a superhero sailing out of the deep blue at 90 MPH to save the day and letting all of Cleveland cry tears of joy (if he'd hit that Dunk, Oh My God). Those other things wasn't stopping a go-ahead easy bucket from the returning Finals MVP on the Best Regular Season Team of All Time. The Block is a way bigger moment than anything he had before to the point where it diminishes those accomplishments. Or at least I think so. Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd2GCwkTd38

I figured I was forgetting someone, sorry. It's very bad that when the Knicks are mentioned the first player I think of is Derrick Rose. It's too bad there's a decent chance none of the four will make it to the playoffs this season! :(

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wish Joel Embiid had better stats in NBA2k17 so I would play with him more in Blacktop Mode

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Sharparoni posted:

Agreed, jockeying for second place behind Jokic isn't shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

EvanTH posted:

He also added the series part, and there were 3 finals before this where he was by far the best player on the court. I cannot endorse these comments. What Bill Simmons did is a criminal act on the American people.

• Locked thread