Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

say what you will about the warriors, but they brought us NBA Champion Javale McGee
https://twitter.com/anthonyvslater/status/874502117007925249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

But what's the objective perspective. Does him getting a ring with the Warriors cheapen the win, making the ring unearned in a way? Is it similar to Lebron's situation when he signed with Miami?

Here I come with my (apparently) hot take:

Durant did nothing wrong. I can't think of a single player in the league in his situation that would have done anything different. When you have the opportunity to join one of the best teams in the league and win a championship, you do it. It sucks for people who aren't a fan of the Warriors but tough poo poo. These playoffs weren't as exciting as past seasons, I'll admit. But that isn't Durant's fault and it isn't the Warriors' fault either. The Warriors are going to be in tax hell soon and if we can survive the Bulls winning 6 in the 90s and the Lakers/Spurs during the '00s, things will be fine. KD has been a top-3 player for a long time and while I won't say that anyone deserves anything, there wasn't anything shady about how he ended up on the Warriors so I have a hard time finding fault with how the season ended.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 13, 2017

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

wtf

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GobiasIndustries posted:

Here I come with my (apparently) hot take:

Durant did nothing wrong. I can't think of a single player in the league in his situation that would have done anything different. When you have the opportunity to join one of the best teams in the league and win a championship, you do it. It sucks for people who aren't a fan of the Warriors but tough poo poo. These playoffs weren't as exciting as past seasons, I'll admit. But that isn't Durant's fault and it isn't the Warriors' fault either. The Warriors are going to be in cap hell soon and if we can survive the Bulls winning 6 in the 90s and the Lakers/Spurs during the '00s, things will be fine. KD has been a top-3 player for a long time and while I won't say that anyone deserves anything, there wasn't anything shady about how he ended up on the Warriors so I have a hard time finding fault with how the season ended.

Everyone talks about the Warriors being in Cap Hell soon, but that only works if the players' claim about being so team-focused falls flat on its face when the time comes to sign big contracts. They could easily sign for a lot less to keep the team going.

So what I'm trying to say is that every player needs a Scott Boras-type agent who always convinces them to chase max money, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

If the twilight years of Lebrons career is getting own3d by the bitch rear end warriors then I'll be really disappointed.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Rasta_Al posted:

I honestly think that Klay is worth more than Curry down the line for his defensive ability, and hope he'll get respect if he chooses to walk.

Not correct, check the on/off numbers for the past 5 seasons and every year the Warriors are outscored/the offense completely falls apart (even this year) when Curry is on the bench, while Klay has never been close to Curry in terms of net rating over their entire careers in GS.

Warriors won it all! I'm going to enjoy this championship and all the success we've had while we have it, since being at the top is fleeting and it'll come to an end eventually. But for now...light years ahead baby. Here's to 3 or 4 more ships :getin:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Consistent media exposure has killed the Warriors for me. I was happy for their first win, but I just don't like the personalities of a bunch of the Warriors. And I love a ton of NBA players. I've just read or watched too many interviews that left me thinking oh this guy kinda sucks. Steve Kerr's cool though.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

But what's the objective perspective. Does him getting a ring with the Warriors cheapen the win, making the ring unearned in a way? Is it similar to Lebron's situation when he signed with Miami?

he's won a ring. it still has the same value as any other ring.

but his path to winning it and the narrative around that ring is subject to interpretation.

in my opinion, there's no great story to it, in contrast to many other players. his winning is boring because its expected. this warriors championship is no great thing. its no 2011 mavs and therefore when considering his "greatness" it won't factor much into it. fortunately, KD is pretty great on his own so i can't see it diminishing him as much as i would personally like to see.

he definitely took the path of least resistance and did a thing that will rightly make people question him for years to come. but he also won a ring on a team that will be forever heralded as one of the best ever.

its a complicated situation and peoples' personal biases will color their interpretation.

personally, i think he's a total bitch, soft to the core, and should take no great satisfaction in his "accomplishment." but then again, i'm not a warriors fan so it should be expected that i feel that way.

to me the biggest loss is the competition in the west where there are often around 4 contenders. since 2010 there have been 5 different western teams in the finals. that's pretty cool in my opinion, considering the east has only had 3. though i guess if you go back to 2000 there have still only been 5 western teams in the finals and 8 eastern teams which definitely undoes my point a little. but its not just about who goes to the finals, its about how they got there. i don't mind watching great teams win so long as its not boring blow outs and sweeps. if durant was still on the thunder there would be 4+ teams that could have won this year and the playoffs would have been more interesting and the story lines would have been more interesting. "can anyone even compete" is much more boring to me than "a great team proved how good it was against other great teams"

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
heh

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Zogo posted:

2000 Lakers barely beat the Pacers. Shaq would be overcome by a barrage of 3P shots. 2000 finals Kobe was not good.

They also only got past Portland because Game 7 was fixed.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Not correct, check the on/off numbers for the past 5 seasons and every year the Warriors are outscored/the offense completely falls apart (even this year) when Curry is on the bench, while Klay has never been close to Curry in terms of net rating over their entire careers in GS.

It's a completely absurd opinion, Klay is not even in the conversation with Curry.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 13, 2017

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

RaySmuckles posted:

he's won a ring. it still has the same value as any other ring.

but his path to winning it and the narrative around that ring is subject to interpretation.

in my opinion, there's no great story to it, in contrast to many other players. his winning is boring because its expected. this warriors championship is no great thing. its no 2011 mavs and therefore when considering his "greatness" it won't factor much into it. fortunately, KD is pretty great on his own so i can't see it diminishing him as much as i would personally like to see.

he definitely took the path of least resistance and did a thing that will rightly make people question him for years to come. but he also won a ring on a team that will be forever heralded as one of the best ever.

its a complicated situation and peoples' personal biases will color their interpretation.

personally, i think he's a total bitch, soft to the core, and should take no great satisfaction in his "accomplishment." but then again, i'm not a warriors fan so it should be expected that i feel that way.

to me the biggest loss is the competition in the west where there are often around 4 contenders. since 2010 there have been 5 different western teams in the finals. that's pretty cool in my opinion, considering the east has only had 3. though i guess if you go back to 2000 there have still only been 5 western teams in the finals and 8 eastern teams which definitely undoes my point a little. but its not just about who goes to the finals, its about how they got there. i don't mind watching great teams win so long as its not boring blow outs and sweeps. if durant was still on the thunder there would be 4+ teams that could have won this year and the playoffs would have been more interesting and the story lines would have been more interesting. "can anyone even compete" is much more boring to me than "a great team proved how good it was against other great teams"

blah blah blah
How many thousands of words have you wads shitted out about this.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Idahoant posted:

blah blah blah

we talk about basketball in the basketball thread? :shrug:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ten second summary of the NBA season

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K6oKfADOKa0

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

That series was like watching an All Star game where the players are actually trying

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Paperback Writer posted:

That series was like watching an All Star game where the players are actually trying

thanks bill simmons.

So how is Lebron going to finagle Paul George onto his team?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RaySmuckles posted:

while referring to it as "the hardest road"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Idahoant posted:

blah blah blah

sorry for talking about the sport we enjoy in the thread dedicated specifically to talking about it. Also who are you and why are you reading this thread if you don't want to read about basketball

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Anyhow Draymond Green is a good man and he saved his friend Klay's life
https://streamable.com/nr447
and Kyrie Irving is unfortunately a great man -- he threw out his back on this lift, saving the opposing player from mortal danger but he couldn't play right for the rest of the game (he went from being Kyrie Irving to missing layups and tossing up airballs). Just another way in which this series was a moral victory for the Cavs I suppose.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
lol

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Idahoant posted:

blah blah blah

This thread is full of many thousands of emotionally charged words about basketball, take it easy pal

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Xzibit predicted this in 1998.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I thought that series was mostly fun. Lots and lots of scoring.

Game Overman
May 23, 2004
under the radar
g night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpyK6Ojnl-0&t=75s

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
To everyone depressed about how the NBA will suck for the next few years because Durant made the league non-competitive by joining the Warriors, just keep in mind that the Bulls in the 90's won 3 straight twice, and none of those championships were really ever in doubt except maybe the first one. I grew up as an NBA fan in the 80's and 90's, and I hated the Bulls with a passion, mostly because I knew Jordan would just always win. However, even knowing that, I enjoyed each of those seasons regardless of knowing the outcome at the end when the season started. The Warriors are definitely not going to come even close to that extended period of dominance with the cap, so don't worry too much about it. A thousand things could happen that can derail them, nothing is as guaranteed as you think it is now.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

wb

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

teagone posted:

No, a ring is a ring. Nothing unearned about it. I think it will be viewed historically different from many others.

Take Lebron for instance. I think his Cleveland title will be seen as historically more impactful than his Miami titles.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
None of the Warriors players are particularly durable.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Durant is Finals MVP, Bitch-rear end Russ is a mark-rear end trick at home on the couch.

I hope Durant does an instagram where he sings "Now I do what I want" while holding the Larry O'Brien lmao

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

RaySmuckles posted:

gently caress kevin durant.

one move ruined the west, the greatest conference in sports.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
So does Durant go back to OKC in four years on his apology tour like LeBron did?

Upset the cavs could not pull it off but not too surprised. You get two young MVPs in their prime on the same team I'm not sure you can beat them.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bigass Moth posted:

So does Durant go back to OKC in four years on his apology tour like LeBron did?

Upset the cavs could not pull it off but not too surprised. You get two young MVPs in their prime on the same team I'm not sure you can beat them.

Don't worry, every team can just ramp up and get an all-star roster, the commissioner said so!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I enjoyed this NBA season very much and hope the next one will be just as good.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/LILBTHEBASEDGOD/status/874510094800535552

our god was a false god

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

It's really surprising to see a basketball team be this dominant. They always say you can only play 5 guys at a time and only one of them can control the ball at any given time but it feels like, at this point, basketball is far more susceptible to being dominated by a team than any other sport.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Congrats to the warriors

I don't think I've ever hated a sports team more. They are worse than the patriots .

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Imagine if Kevin Durant was an incredible musician and songwriter. He spends years getting better, each record is a step in his musical development. Sure, his backup band is a little rough, but that's ok! His sales are never quite what they should be but it's cool, everyone who has taste knows what's up! One year, he releases an album that is amazing, better than ever, and you cannot wait for the next one because it could be an all-timer.

Then Kevin Durant joins The Eagles because he's sick of not going platinum. Sure, he's still the best songwriter in the band and his personal skills are not diminished but it still sucks, you know? You're never getting that Highway 61 Revisited/Bridge Over Troubled Water/Thriller, you're getting stuff that dominates the charts for a decade.

This is how I feel. Also, the Eagles are loving trash.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
So like if Brian Wilson joined the Beatles in 1966 after Revolver massively outsold Pet Sounds?

Sounds awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Wouldn't it be more like when Neil Young joined Crosby, Stills and Nash? Neil Young started eating into their sales so they added him to the band.

• Locked thread