Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gynecolojustice posted:

I wish Joel Embiid had better stats in NBA2k17 so I would play with him more in Blacktop Mode

Well if he plays well, they go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I enjoy basketball the sport and look forward to basketposting with you all ITT

Same, you guys are all good people

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Prediction Time:

The Warriors will lose their next couple games, and then go on a huge run to have an insane season, like nearly 70 wins despite the terrible start and still get the first seed. In the first round, they're gonna get dumpstered by old man Dirk and the Mavs.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

With Duncan retired we might have a contender for "Most likely NBA player to be an SA Goon".

Gordon Hayward probably has strong opinions on Star Citizen

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Libertine posted:

Swift is one of the all time saddest NBA career arcs

Agreed

I think I remember watching the game where he tore his ACL

Man, the 2000s were a wasteland of bigs. Right now, Oden and Bynum should be dominating the league, while Yao is getting a going away party that would make Kobe blush

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

:rip: Cleveland Indians

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I was just looking at the Lakers schedule, and they don't visit an Eastern Conference team after February 10th, which is a full week before the all-star break. They also have a super home heavy end of the season, so they will probably be able to rack up a decent amount of those post-allstar garbage wins during that stretch

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So my dad has a decent nickname for Paul George, "John Ringo"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Well, that was certainly a good choice for first Lakers game to go to in a year

And we even got tacos

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Well, gentlemen, it was nice posting with you before basketball is banned as being subversive art in Trump's america

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

The Mavs won and this is one of the worst nights of my life. 2016-17 Mavs :negative:

Same, except I don't even have a loving sports win to try to drown myself in tonight

And I loving toxxed for Hillary. Like half of this thread probably won't rereg after getting banned, and we just finally started to get people posting in here again

I'm loving ranting and raving like an idiot, and I'm too depressed to even get drunk properly :negative:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

E2M2 posted:

This is worse than losing the Finals up 3-1

We should have known that the cavs and cubs winning meant that reality was unwinding

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

NickRoweFillea posted:

Did we lose any NBA senior regs to the politics toxx thread

Me, but I'm back

RIP, plat and avs

Forgot to donate last night :shobon:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

Deng , mozgov, and lou williams all can help the team look like they're in games that they'll never win, and that's important in not alienating in the fan base post kobe

And Luke somehow has Mozgov and Lou playing great and contributing

Deng is just cooked, but I still like having him. He was one of those guys who always seemed destined to end up on the Lakers eventually

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kibner posted:

If I normally can't stand Will Ferrell humor, is Semi-Pro still worth watching?

Get drunk and watch it, its got some hilarious scenes and some awful scenes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Brandon Ingram's worst case scenario is the #8 scorer and leader in 3 point percentage.

Brandon's averaging 6 points a game, btw.

Brandon Ingram is what everyone expected Wiggins to be as a rookie, a young guy playing good defense with offensive skills, but not enough assertiveness to showcase himself

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Gynecolojustice posted:

Crazy that Kansas had both Wiggins and Embiid, didn't do much with it although Embiid I think was hurt for the tournament

Thats what happens when you have a college coach who refuses to change his system to fit his players.

"Yeah, Wiggins is definitely being used well by spending 95% of his time playing offball"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

Sac gave swap rights to their 17 pick and their 19 pick (UNPROTECTED) to the Sixers so I don't think tanking is in the cards . They'll try and resign him IMHO.

I cant even remember what they traded all of that for?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
It's pretty funny how Mozgov isn't even the worst contract on Lakers, let alone in the league.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

straight up brolic posted:

i can't tell if anyone is being serious, but what makes you think that LeBron is smart enough to like hold political office and make decisions that impact peoples lives?

Dude's reading list consists of the hunger games, divergent, sports biographies, and malcolm gladwell books. based on those choices, we'd be heading on a bullet train to dystopia. we are living the plot of loving idiocracy

Dude, celebrities and former athletes become politicians all of the time. I'm 100% sure he could be a house rep and he could probably win a senate seat if he pick his spots right challenged someone unpopular

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

He has never been a good defender.

I thought he was early in his career? Or was that just the fading glow of everyone who played on the Pistons just being assumed to play good defense

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Libertine posted:

The Dirk trade with Milwaukee will probably go down in NBA history as the single most one-sided draft steal in NBA history. Their entire team for almost two decades was built around that single move. Maybe the best draft day move ever made.

Houston did win the lottery with Yao and rode that for awhile and then has made some shrewd and excellent moves since then but they haven't won anything significant in over 20 years. They also have never been a truly abysmal team since the early 1980s. Even the bad Rockets rosters were not cellar dwellers.

I don't think you can compare either of their histories with the Kings at all.

Kobe for Vlade might not be quite as completely lopsided (though Vlade only played 2 seasons for the Hornets), but it is probbaly up there

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

predicto posted:

Cmon son.

Future Hall of Famer Robert Parrish AND the draft rights to future Hall of Famer Kevin McHale for a pick used on Joe Barry Carroll. That will never be topped.

Thats almost as good as my favorite trade that almost happened:

In 1984, the Blazers we're desperate for a center and almost traded the #2 pick and their first rounder from the previous year for the reigning ROY, Ralph Sampson. So we very nearly had a reality where Jordan, Clyde Drexler and Hakeem won a dozen titles in the 80s and 90s.

EDIT: The other thing that people forget about the whole Ibaka vs Harden thing is that the Thunder could have just amnestied Perkins, and they would have stayed below the luxury tax even after extending both of them.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 29, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

soggybagel posted:

Ready to bring the Warriors "back home?"

https://twitter.com/warriors/status/803753837739708416

Bet tickets will be cheap.

They're moving back to Philadelphia?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The Warriors should see how many firsts it would take to trade for Noel

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kibner posted:

I got an email today with a survey about ticket interest in this year's All Star weekend. Along with it came the prices. So, in case anyone here is planning on going, here is some information for planning your budget:

Saturday: $125-700
Sunday: $250-1,000

One of my coworkers won the company raffle for a free trip to the ASG and all of the events. He got to go last time it was in NO too :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Strawberry Panda posted:

I got cable so now I watch a lot of Lakers games. I've liked watching Ingram play so far but haven't done any research to see if he's been good or not.

He is missing everything on offense, but he probably already the best defender on the team

They're also running him at PG on offense a lot for some reason as well

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/805812688613875712

Speculation? Late to the team bus? Told Hoiberg to go fly a kite?

Didn't wear a tie on the team plane

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The Lakers are currently doing their best Pelicans impression, with 6 of their top 11 players being injured

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

the_american_dream posted:

So Andrew Bogut is insane.

On my phone so here is a link

http://deadspin.com/of-course-andre...dium=socialflow

I still can't believe there are people out there who take seriously the conspiracy theory equivalent of playing mad-libs with dirty words.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So it has well under a gram of oxygen in it? A mole is a much biiger number than a trillion

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

In a little fairness the Grizzlies and others were starting to get higher on Marc Gasol despite him being a 2nd round pick who hadn't been in the NBA yet. A lot of teams valued him more than a typical 2nd round pick.

Yeah, he was in the middle of an MVP season in Spain when the trade was made because he took falling to the second round as a wake up call to get serious and he lost 15 pounds of fat in the off-season.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

Your Buddy Hield shot selection update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GfsEm63ZY0

Wow, he really is the next Kobe

Unfortunately, its last year's Kobe

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Friends, I periodically pull up Robert Horry clutch moments and I still haven't seen him miss in a critical situation. I'm sure, at least once, he's fired a three at the last second and had it clank. Can anyone recall one?

http://www.nba.com/games/20030513/LALSAS/recap.html

quote:

SAN ANTONIO, May 13 (Ticker) -- Robert Horry missed a three-pointer he always makes, and the Los Angeles Lakers lost a game they never should have had a chance to win.

Horry's potential winning three-pointer rattled in-and-out just before the buzzer, killing a remarkable rally from a 25-point deficit and dealing the Lakers a 96-94 loss to the San Antonio Spurs that has the three-time defending champions on the brink of elimination.

They then got blown out in game 6

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Ingram is already defending too well to be Bennett. He has good shooting mechanics and nights where he looks like a legitimate offensive weapon, but nights where nothing goes in, which could mean he could still not be a star, but there are worse things than that. Right now some of the challenge is finding him a position, and he's seen time at all five.

Yeah, he is clearly showing effort and skills out there, so that is well above Bennet, but he could still end up another Derrick Williams. I personally doubt that, but it could happen.

Also, remember this before we all decide on player's fate: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/andrew-wiggins-lebron-james/

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 13, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

Myles Turner's instincts on the pnr are all wrong. He doesn't set good screens, he sets them in the wrong direction or at the wrong angle, he doesn't communicate with the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7--EoospVI

Ah, Julius Randle Syndrome

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-did-basketball-end-up-with-four-versions-and-counting-of-one-stat/

God dammit, this is why we cant have nice things, especially since I think the BBR one is rear end since it doesn't include assists

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I think that owners realized very quickly that they made a mistake in limiting the lengths of the extensions, it made it way more difficult to keep players without the incentives of long contracts, and it gave them less leverage when it came time to trade them. I think the limits on contract length when signing with a new team is smart, because we definitely saw that those protect owners

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 15, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I heard you guys like dunks

https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/809222965565018113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

Tbf I wouldn't doubt there being problems with it. The heads of the union now are superstars. It would be easy for them to get things that benefit them while screwing over non stars.

The rank and file members of the union may just not care or look into it. Besides what their player representative tells them about it.

I dunno, but it's a bit silly to dismiss someone's complaint out of hand because it isn't the majority.

The changes to the over 36 rules are 100% an instance of this

• Locked thread