Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can any Spurs fan who watched the preseason tell me what new players to get excited about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/790568826802929664

the Pistons' confrontationally bland #DetroitBasketball almost loops around into being good

Agreed, it's way better than the designed-by-committee-looking ones like #PowerOfThePack

Disappointed the Nets took the word "grit" and kept Memphis from being #GritAndGrind

e: i think brooklyn has lost any claim to grit through gentrification anyway

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thanks 4 the post.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

You also have to pass the ball around a little to get the 3 point shot.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I want Seattle to get a team like next year and then somehow get Durant in the expansion draft.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sharparoni posted:

The Cavs were in the top half of most dribbles last year. The Warriors were dead last. Therefore, dribbling is good and ball movement is bad. Wrap it up sabermetricailures

If you think about it dribbling is also a kind of ball movement except up and down

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're passing the ball to the floor who is passing it back.

The floor needs to man up and take the shot once in a while.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

Dellavedova's market inefficiency

Haha yeah I was about to edit the post to add a LeBron passes to Delly joke.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kevin Durant is a system player

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Golden State Warriors got blown out in the 2016-2017 season opener despite having the previous two MVPs including the first unanimous MVP.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

Was Durants mom in the building?

probably

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I wanted to pick Kawhi for WS leader on the poll but I figured my homerism was biasing that decision and didn't do it. Should've gone with my gut and also my heart.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

lmao, i tried to watch first take just to hear some people talk about the game last night and my god, my god, Stephen A Smith is loving awful. loving awful. it was painful.

Crab rangoon, things of that nature.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Duncan should unretire mid season and play 10-15 minutes a game.

unironically this

boxcarhobo posted:

he both is and is not, he seems like one of the most approachable nba dudes

just don't piss him off

true, the last guy who got on adams' bad side was draymond green, and the stress of it got to him so bad it led to him blowing a 3-1 lead

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

I know it won't happen but i want the Sixers to sign Duncan for a year.

Them signing Manu seemed impossible until it almost happened.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In the interest of competitiveness the league ought to do something to limit the max amount of alphas on one team.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can alphas be shook?

If they could they wouldn't be alphas.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spoeank posted:

I woke up this morning and the Sacramento Kings of Sacramento are still in first in the Pacific and the Shook rear end Warriors of Oakland are still in last. I am going to enjoy this as long as it lasts*

*when the final buzzer sounds in Kings-Spurs tonight

I dunno dropping a gimme game against the Kings after blowing out the runaway championship favorites would be pretty Spurs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

I think the fat man had it coming imo

imo visiting teams should be able to eject one fan per half

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hahahahahahaha

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Scene: ORACLE ARENA

KEVIN DURANT stands alone in the media room, at the podium.

KEVIN DURANT: Okay, next question

Durant points to an empty chair.

DURANT: What can I do for you?

Durant pretends to listen intently, nodding head, rubbing chin. Suddenly, his eyes widen and he steels his expression

DURANT: What?! What did you say? I'm not shook YOU'RE SHOOK

Durant angrily kicks over the podium and storms off.

"im not shook! im not shook!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bashez posted:

I really liked Aldridge last year defensively. This is probably just a bunch of premature stuff but he just doesn't look as focused right now. Lee has been pretty surprising, actually. I know I'm just blowing a tiny sample size out of proportion.

Pretty happy with Kyle Anderson's play too.

I'm hoping the Spurs just had a little come down versus the Kings because they did not look particularly good.

Aldridge looked great defensively against Golden State imo. He was the biggest guy on the court who wasn't a total stiff like Pachulia or getting lovely foul calls like Gasol and he did the big guy's job on the boards. I didn't catch the Kings game but if there's one Spur who I would expect to act like a normal person who hadn't been yelled at by Pop since he was 19 and take it a bit easy after crushing a superteam, it would be him. I think him taking a low-spotlight night a little off is understandable, but obviously not good and I hope/bet his effort becomes more consistent as the year goes pn like last season.

In summary yeah I wouldn't take a close win against the Kings as the team is coming down off a huge high as a sign of much to worry about.

Props Department posted:

Whatever you think of the Hinkie Method for Obliterating Your NBA Roster, it's clear that he sold it to the private equity assholes who own the team when they hired him. His big mistake was trusting them to let him see it through.

This is an excellent point in that he realized it would be incredibly easy to convince them he could Disrupt building an NBA team.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kiimo posted:

I find it hilarious that Embiid grew up in an upper middle class home and his mom drove a Mercedes but when he came to America he told people he killed a lion because Americans will believe anything and then Americans believed it.

Embiid always sounds like a dude it'd be super fun to hang out with.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Could the Spurs be light years ahead in completing the final pieces of the next Big 3?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMGUhU9BQcj/

(Likely not)

euphronius posted:

2 guards who can't shoot tho

How does this work

I could be convinced that the Bulls are initiating their own Process, what with signing Rondo to ensure the team would lose all chemistry, but they were too dumb to figure out tanking didn't involve paying a broken Dwyane Wade a zillion dollars.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

gently caress Cancer.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Love Kawhi's face of how proud he was of his snowball.

Pau on the Spurs feels like it should've happened years ago (too bad he's been outplayed by Dedmon and Lee so far).

hahahahaha

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

It has been 2 games and Singler has been a positive player for the Thunder. Durant was holding him back

E: just for clarity by positive I mean not cringe worthy

Bet you're regretting shedding your Kraft Singler Centennial Man avatar now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The drawn-up play on the second video was nice.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zogo posted:

Kawhi is 28/28 through three games from the FT line. Since 1964 only two have started better:

code:

Player		Season	FT	FTA
Kiki Vandeweghe	1984-85	31	31
Kevin Martin	2010-11	30	30
Kawhi Leonard	2016-17	28	28

Streak was just broken at 33.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If Curry were a Great One he would've told his body "not today" instead of tweaking his knee.

Earlier in that series, I had Love marked for Not Great when he got concussed and missed a game then played like poo poo after Draymond stomped on his head, but when it counted he told his brain and Curry "not today."

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 31, 2016

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I hope that nobody seriously buys into the Mark Jackson critique of Curry.

In other other news my boy Jonathan Simmons nearly Chaos Dunked Miami into oblivion last night.

https://streamable.com/9cr5

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i saw this

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17933466/draymond-green-says-teams-trying-punk-warriors

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Even if he didn't inherit a 17-win team, he was such a high-profile hire and "get" that the honeymoon period would hopefully last at least a year, but then again I don't know the pulse of Lakers fans.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is Dieng good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The room even dressed up as the court from the Dave Chappelle Prince skit.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

He's the centerpiece of my all-NBA competitive eating team

C: Adams
PF: Sullinger
SF: Diaw
SG: ???
PG: Lin (using the Kobayashi technique)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tanglewood1420 posted:

Goddamn Spurs will win 55 games forever

that 2020-2021 salary seems kind of undervalued imo

But that contract was a max 5-year contract at the time of signing.

euphronius posted:

And they signed Aldridge in his cap hold too right

Yeah Aldridge was signed before Leonard so all he ate into the cap space was his tiny rookie deal cap hold.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

misdirectomy posted:

The 3 Alphas destroying teams every night is bad for the league, there I said it

I'm very pro three alphas and I just wish they had a game against Cleveland or Golden State while on this ridiculous hot streak.

early contender for vid of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Adams didn't even have a phone during the process of signing a $100m contract. :lol:

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/793515671233531904

Who has time to talk about money when ball is calling.

Tonight's game of Jazz at SAS is the homecoming of Diaw so look for him to take revenge against Pop for banishing him to Utah.

• Locked thread