Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
gilbert arenas is a bad person, but I like him anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/790568826802929664

the Pistons' confrontationally bland #DetroitBasketball almost loops around into being good

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Rick posted:

Zogo can I change my vote for rookie PER leader to Jamal Murray?

I felt like this too after watching him in one preseason game (lol). Dude's either gonna take Harris' spot or score off the bench. Could also play huge minutes if the Nugs trade any or all of: Barton, Gallinari, Chandler.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/BabersGreen/status/791144764255109120

DRAY MOM FUCKIN HAD IT WITH THIS poo poo.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I certainly feel like Serge and Adams did a bunch of holding dudes and elbowing them so OKC's skilled players could start the break.

there's a reason Steve and Ibaka were voted the dirtiest players in the league by their peers!

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Wait when was this poll taken

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-dirty-players-20160117-story.html

also,

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/791320106534072321

why steve

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

thank you

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Interesting. Sounds like OKC didn't get another 5 year max extension slot for Adams. That was previously Russ, but I couldn't find any explanation of whether they got a new one w/ Westbrook extending his deal further. Looks like a regular 4 year max.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Dejan Bimble posted:

21m a year for Victor Oladipo
That cat-like guy who misses layups?
What a world

If that's the "Should be good but isn't that good" sg price, I'm afraid KCP will be like 93m/4

KCP is getting very near the max in RFA if he actually seeks out an offer sheet. Might well be that Detroit has a handshake deal to pay him in RFA like they did with Drummond, but playing chicken with Brooklyn and Philadelphia has already cost the Spurs/Clippers/Blazers.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Dexo posted:

They are watching the dominance of the zero space and pace team the Bulls(Number 1 offense in the league baby) assembled.

stocking up on alphas, clearing cap space to take on rudy gay's alpha contract--maybe even placing calls on some of Chicago's alphas.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
the Thunder could've just drafted this guy if it wasn't for The Huestis Plan.

I mean, I suspect they're going to use that cap space to take on salary in another move.

still though.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Okay phili answer these grant questions for me please:
Can grant pass well?
Is grant a good decision maker?
Can he finish around the rim?

he protects the rim and dunks 1.27 times per 36.

https://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

those are his skills.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

attackmole posted:

Man JV is good but unless he finally gets more minutes (they're there this year so far but I have Casey PTSD) it's kind of a moot point iunnno why you're dying on this hill here. He's a promising young center. He's efficient as hell in the post via his silly pump fakes and running hook and has a good elbow jumper, but he's not a great rim protector and psyches himself out. He's not in Drummond or Whiteside's tier unless we're talking about a theoretical JV on some team that features him more heavily. He could get there (I hope) but who knows. Even then it's kind of apples and oranges because those guys play pretty dramatically differently from him.

On the plus side there's nothing like playing games against Drummond to make you feel great about having a big that can actually hit their free throws. It's a little thing that goes a looooooong way for reducing my anxiety late game.

JV is cool and missed out on some exposure being injured during the playoffs. Even if he's lagging behind Drummond, Whiteside, etc. his contract essentially makes up the difference.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I dunno, if Sabonis can just get a little deeper on his post ups and muscle up, KD probably doesn't score 1,000,000 points on 5 shots.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
yeah except Cuban banned the writers because he's upset that ESPN isn't covering his team enough lmao

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/795475933704622080

he really is the donald trump of the nba

"it's a beat writer's fault the locker room is toxic!!"

*trades for rajon rondo*

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Iguodala was crucial to recruiting Durant in the first place. I don't think keeping Bogut over Iggy was a realistic possibility given that aspect of Durant and Iguodala's relationship. Part of the Warriors' pitch was basically, "you get to play with your buddies Draymond and Andre. We're all about family and friendship over here (except Harry Barnes and Noted Atheist Andrew Bogut, gently caress them)".

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Like others have said before in this conversation about the Warriors' future, their ability to maintain usable depth pieces will be based mainly on getting rotation players for the tax-payer MLE and their minimum exceptions. Making trades will be much more difficult once they are consistently operating in the tax or over the apron.

Relying every single year on guys to take West & Pachulia-sized discounts is obviously risky because it boils down to a lot of randomness that will be outside of their control. Even Zaza is only on a one-year for the mini-MLE, and West is a one-year vet min. What if their options next summer are worse? You can't necessarily bank on having the same success the Heat had with Battier, Miller, Allen, and even Haslem. A lot of that seems to boil down to relationships between players and the persuasiveness of guys like James, Wade, Durant, and Green in convincing players to sacrifice money. Their ability to have a playable center in the future might depend less on Myers' cap maneuvering and more on the the likeability of Draymond Green.

With all of that under consideration, my recommendation would be to fire Bob Myers and hire Doc Rivers as the GM, then profit from his ability to consistently fill out the rotation with wily vets.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 7, 2016

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Or they could fire Bob Myers and just sign any cheap player that once had a good game against LAC and achieve the same result without paying Doc Rivers.

hey, andre roberson played well for awhile during the WCF, and I heard on an internet forum that klay might be available.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
hey phil

SHUT THE gently caress UP

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
and i thought it couldn't get worse after the Durant leaving stuff.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Niwrad posted:

Is Hoiberg the worst coach in the league? I'm being serious here. I can't find a coach from another team that I wouldn't take over him.

nobody actually knows anything about brett brown, but he might be really bad.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Bashez posted:

I don't think this proves anything. I don't think DWS get split quite properly but they're all playing extremely well by the other defensive metrics too. This isn't necessarily a problem so much as it is all three of them playing excellent defense.

I agree that they're playing well, but it's still difficult to parse individual defensive metrics. DBPM, DWS, and DRPM all have trouble properly attributing the effect of individual players when a team defense performs well. These metrics can generally highlight the best individual defenders on a team, but if those players frequently play together, they tend to lose precision. It's a collinearity problem to the degree that the ESPN RPM guy runs his regression to produce RPM scores, and Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan play almost all of their minutes together. Even strong Bayesian priors about individual players using data from previous years can't necessarily solve this because that data tells us both Paul and Jordan are already really high level defenders. Over the course of 1000s of minutes, these measures will get a little more precise, but most good defenders will still tend to play alongside one another and perform well in tandem.

Not really a problem if you just want to identify the plus and minus defenders on each team, but comparing good defenders in terms of overall effect is difficult.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Scal's no longer a silly man who invites local ballers to play 1 on 1, but a filthy rumormonger

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

chunkles posted:

James Harden joins George Hill in receiving the Western Conference Player of the Week award

e: Can we talk about how Russell Westbrook is 1 rebound away from averaging a triple double? Can somebody let him stat-pad one rebound a game please?

eh, Russ is already leaping over Steven Adams and Sabonis to feast on largely uncontested DREBs that trigger the break. Any more would just be gauche.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Better D-League contracts are awesome as others have said. A drop in the bucket money-wise, and it will go a ways towards fixing the 2nd round and keeping American talent from fleeing to Europe.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

I love cam but terry has the camtar therefore I must respect that

I'm scared sam's going to trade our little dancing man for 60 games of contract year rudy gay. Been quietly looking around for some avatar fallback options--but I support a good new sabonis av for you my friend.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
We're going to need to see your shoes, Joel.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Serge owning the Pistons on Reggies season debut brings me great joy

Thunder or ex-Thunder players are buoying a full 1/6th of the league's teams. Thunder fans can tune in regularly to watch their current or former stars square off.

welp, back to work, thunder up, oladipo is good now.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

AggressivelyStupid posted:

It's a stupid black box poo poo ESPN stat, so yes

nah, there's nothing black box about it at all:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/10740818/introducing-real-plus-minus

https://cornerthreehoops.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/explaining-espns-real-plus-minus/

http://deadspin.com/just-what-the-hell-is-real-plus-minus-espns-new-nba-s-1560361469

Ilardi could have written more about what ridge regression and bayesian estimation in their initial introduction piece, but that's useless information to most readers. All of these pieces do a decent job of explaining the intuition behind the estimation technique, priors, changes made to APM, etc.

but sure, it doesn't rank Embiid or whoever you like high enough this season so gently caress it.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Brooklyn's elaborate plan to sign Bobby Brown comes one step closer to fruition.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Nobody who actually wants Boogie has the right assets to get him. A sad state of affairs for all involved parties.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why was OKC versus Minnesota a Christmas game?

It was supposed to be OKC and Russ like scrooge seeing a vision of christmas past in the T-Wolves, but instead Kanter dimed up Alex Abrines a few times; god bless us, everyone.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I feel like the Hawks did the exact same thing with Horford last year where they listened to offers, demanded a king's ransom, and did nothing. Still though, Patterson+Powell+something else seems like the plausible beginnings of a deal if Toronto is finally going to make the drat power forward trade.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

WhyteRyce posted:

Noodle arm Peyton and the Broncos shaming Cam Newton is the NFL's 2011 NBA Finals.

it was cool except LeBron's Heat ascended as they were destined to in the following two years, while Carolina is really depressing now.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Winslow out for the season with a torn labrum. Riley gonna get out those tank keys.

and select the next michael beasley

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Fast Luck posted:

how'd I do?

A+ ballot

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
the only thing left for me to see this season is Joel Embiid's response to staying in the spooky OKC hotel

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

R.D. Mangles posted:

finally, korver and dunleavy together

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/817180132322504704

nooooooo

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
What does New Orleans have to trade? Buddy?! Not buddy....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The team this Millsap business makes a poo poo ton of sense for is New Orleans, because I don't know how else they're going to get access to another high-caliber player on the cheap. They're limited in terms of cap flexibility going forward so who cares if they bite the bullet and max out a 32 year old. They don't necessarily have the assets to get in a bidding war if, say Jimmy Butler, were to be auctioned off.

• Locked thread