Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Chocolate Chunk posted:

There actually was mild feedback to the boss fight. You could see the bullets hit the ground behind the scorpion where the laser sight stops, but the giant white trail of the flashlight gun stops when it hit the boss.

Super small though. They should have made it flinch or something

I think it was restarting its scream each time it was hit too. Then again it screamed when it started winding up for an attack too, so that's not too helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm not certain but when you killed that stick man his red orb thing fell out of him. I reckon you might be able to destroy that in some way and put him out of action for good.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

The mystery of what may or may not be lurking in the woods was somewhat lessened by the giant green hand dragging Doc to her doom.

I dunno, I mean, it's a hand but like, lots of things have hands, you know? Plus there's still other mysteries, like why all clothing moves all the time.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Maybe Doc just has a fear of water and her family is cursed to drown in water?

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

I dunno, I mean, it's a hand but like, lots of things have hands, you know? Plus there's still other mysteries, like why all clothing moves all the time.
We can probably blame hardware or DirectX for that, the Nocturne engine is old enough that either it still had parts that used the clock speed for calculations or it used a DirectX function that was deprecated and replaced with something that didn't quite work the same. I can't find any video from early 2000 or promo footage to compare though.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
This, and running around with her gun arm perpetually outstretched are my favorite things about this game.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Burzmali posted:

We can probably blame hardware or DirectX for that, the Nocturne engine is old enough that either it still had parts that used the clock speed for calculations or it used a DirectX function that was deprecated and replaced with something that didn't quite work the same. I can't find any video from early 2000 or promo footage to compare though.

Yeah I can't think of a game before Nocturne that had cloth physics. I sort of remember seeing a demo for a Dreamcast fighting game with cloth physics around that time but it might have just been a tech demo.

I played the Nocturne demo when it was first released and it looked absolutely fantastic on my 32mb NVidia card. The engine still looks pretty good for the time in this one, although it really only looks exceptional in the low-light environments. It looks much more average during the daylight scenarios like running around the town and stuff.

And I think Pete touched on this but another thing that Nocturne had going for it was that the combat was way, way better than its contemporary Survival Horror games. That's not a high bar to clear, but it's still important to say.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

And I think Pete touched on this but another thing that Nocturne had going for it was that the combat was way, way better than its contemporary Survival Horror games. That's not a high bar to clear, but it's still important to say.
Being on PC gives the game the freedom of mouse and keyboard, that's enough to surpass anything from the console tank controls generation. When Nocturne was being developed, only the N64 would have been guaranteed to have an analog stick, the Playstation market would have still been split between original controllers and Dualshocks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd... you'd think, wouldn't you, that Spookhouse would have encountered the concept of the 'true name' before and routinely operate under aliases.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

You'd... you'd think, wouldn't you, that Spookhouse would have encountered the concept of the 'true name' before and routinely operate under aliases.

You'd think, but ironically, it seems like Nothing Spooks Spookhouse!™

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 7 is up now! As the title implies, it's not as fast-paced as the past (or future) episodes, but it's necessary for the backstory.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's pretty much the bestiary.

I mean, I like the idea that Elspeth's poring over bunches of books and collating them into something that seems relevant, but her bullet points need bullet points.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the bestiary.

I mean, I like the idea that Elspeth's poring over bunches of books and collating them into something that seems relevant, but her bullet points need bullet points.

That's what we figured. I'm sure it's interesting to read all of it, but for a Let's Play, it's a bit much.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It really does feel more and more like the game was already finished and then they slapped the Blair witch brand on it. None of those have anything to do with the movie

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 8 is up now! This is a much more interesting episode than the last one.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The game is actually getting interesting now. Hopefully, though, the map is actually accurate in yellow-world as well because getting lost again would be aggravating.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Back in the day I got a demo for some Blair Witch game, but I'm not sure if it was this one. Maybe it was one of the other games in the series, so I guess I'll see when we get there. It probably involved the Civil War. All I remember is that it had plenty of shooting and no relation to Blair Witch.

This is a pretty neat looking game. Most of the times when there's something the game wants you to do in a specific order that's not entirely obvious the protagonist will speak her thoughts aloud, guiding the player to the next scripted scene. This doesn't always happen though, but it's enough hand-holding to not make the game too cryptic. The puzzles seem like they are at least trying to make sense, which is more than lots of point & click adventure games did only several years earlier before the genre finally let out its final breath.

It's kind of cringeworthy how they made the world for Nocturne with a superhero team for ghost hunting and liked their newly created universe so much they just decided to shoehorn it in a Blair Witch game. Whatever, I too want to see Nocturne at some point.

The protagonist's down-to-business approach to looking at the wall scribbles while ignoring the ghosts really makes me root for her. And her sentient coat.

SirDifferential fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 19, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up now! I'm starting to get really pissed at the hundreds of enemies that show up in the forest now.

SirDifferential posted:

The protagonist's down-to-business approach to looking at the wall scribbles while ignoring the ghosts really makes me root for her. And her sentient coat.

The sentient coat is the real protagonist.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder now that you got that package from Spookhouse back in town maybe your basic ammo and health supplies will be refilled after every story event? There doesn't seem to be nearly enough stuff in the game... unless the game is almost over with this Coffin Rock thing :v:

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I wonder if they're all puns, or if it's just the never-give-in twana and the tell-us-more twana.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kjetting posted:

I wonder if they're all puns, or if it's just the never-give-in twana and the tell-us-more twana.

:effort:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do find myself confused by the glitches occasionally, since the many horror/dimensional effects also mess with the color balance and such.

But I do like how they're actually making a meaningful game mechanic out of the stickmen.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is up now, and it's an absolute gem. This game is a gem.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
It's the post-thanksgiving, Rustin Parr, naked guy, dog and stick man parade! Traditional and festive!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That chase sequence was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
That chase sequence was amazing. :allears:

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
So many horror games start the game correctly: The horror is unseen and an ever-present threat that looms over the player. Most developers fail and reveal what the scary thing looks like, and at that point they lose their scary factor. As there is nothing left to scare the player the only logical thing is to remove the horror element and make them in a physical danger. Soon we are at this point.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
That forest is more populated than Burkitsville.

What exactly does that Spook-o-meter thing do anyway? It just seems to go off randomly half of the time and the other half it just tells you what you already knew. Unless that forest is highly radioactive of course.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It tells you when you need to be spooked

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of like the idea that the woods have gotten too full of monsters to actually deal with and you have to run, and I appreciate that they actually made it possible enough to do in one take.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zeniel posted:

That forest is more populated than Burkitsville.

What exactly does that Spook-o-meter thing do anyway? It just seems to go off randomly half of the time and the other half it just tells you what you already knew. Unless that forest is highly radioactive of course.

It means there's a "ghost" type enemy nearby I believe. Zombies and stick monsters you can see just fine.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
But then there's times when absolutely nothing is happening at all, when your in town and also when there are enemies about and it still doesn't go off. It's like some broke rear end version of the silent hill radio.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It feels like you're making the game harder for yourself by not killing anything. It seems like enemies remain when you leave an area and more spawn in, so you're just filling the forest up until it's almost too crowded to move

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

It feels like you're making the game harder for yourself by not killing anything. It seems like enemies remain when you leave an area and more spawn in, so you're just filling the forest up until it's almost too crowded to move

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. If we have to go in deep again, I may just blow everything away and be done with it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up now, and to our surprise, it was the end of the game! After this, we'll be moving on to Volume 2, which we'll keep in this same thread. I wonder how much of the next game will relate AT ALL to this one?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nocturne is also interesting because BloodRayne was likely originally a Nocturne game starring Svetlana, the Spookhouse vampire we saw in the HQ in the first episode. It still maintains some connections like the Heart of Beliar and the daemites, so technically Nocturne, the Blair Witch series, and BloodRayne are all in the same universe!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Nocturne is also interesting because BloodRayne was likely originally a Nocturne game starring Svetlana, the Spookhouse vampire we saw in the HQ in the first episode. It still maintains some connections like the Heart of Beliar and the daemites, so technically Nocturne, the Blair Witch series, and BloodRayne are all in the same universe!

Next you're going to tell me that that one character from Homicide: Life on the Street and Law and Order SVU made an appearance in Bloodrayne making Arrested Development and The X-Files and Blair Witch and The Wire all part of this same universe and oh god I've gone cross eyed.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

Next you're going to tell me that that one character from Homicide: Life on the Street and Law and Order SVU made an appearance in Bloodrayne making Arrested Development and The X-Files and Blair Witch and The Wire all part of this same universe and oh god I've gone cross eyed.

It seems so obvious now!

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
What, it ended already?

So many stories of this style end up being told in a hurried fashion: Originally there's a mystery which seems simple enough, then the onion is peeled and suddenly there's a Cthulhian monstrosity involved. As the studio runs out of budget they have to skip most of the content and fast-forward to the ultimate showdown. In this case, they didn't make it even there.

If you don't have access to Nocturne yet it seems like the game was well-known enough that Ebay has the few odd copies available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SirDifferential posted:

If you don't have access to Nocturne yet it seems like the game was well-known enough that Ebay has the few odd copies available.

Yeah, Nocturne prices aren't bad, so we definitely plan on grabbing it. But for now, there are two more Blair Witch games to play for everyone! Jubilations!

• Locked thread