Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I did look and unfortunately, neither of the two successive games are continuations of Spookhouse. They do connect, but the story chronologically goes from Volume 1 straight to The Blair Witch Project.

Even more reason to play Nocturne, I say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I like that this game has both good parts and really lovely ones at the same time, and look forward to seeing how each game in the series does less of the former and more of the latter.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I really appreciate the cat's commentary.

I think the Hec'ai-whatever's form was pretty cool to be honest. A weird black fog with stick tentacle is way more interesting than some large monster.

This game would have probably been much better if it had even less combat and was more of an adventure game.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
It could have been more in line with the original movie then.

Actually, I shudder when I think of how a Blair Witch game would be like if it tried to stay true to the movie. I guess it would play like the thousands of lovely Slenderman/SCP/whatever "atmospheric" indie horror games

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

I think the Hec'ai-whatever's form was pretty cool to be honest. A weird black fog with stick tentacle is way more interesting than some large monster.

Trust me, the cat has no problem with telling everyone what she thinks of the game. :-P And yeah, that creature design wasn't bad at all; it was certainly jarring to see it coming at us like that the first time.

kjetting posted:

It could have been more in line with the original movie then.

Actually, I shudder when I think of how a Blair Witch game would be like if it tried to stay true to the movie. I guess it would play like the thousands of lovely Slenderman/SCP/whatever "atmospheric" indie horror games

As cheesy as a ton of parts of this game were, I'm also glad that they didn't try to just do a straight game-to-movie adaptation of The Blair Witch Project, of all things. Taking liberties was the way to go with this one.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I agree with the one poster who said that this game's main problem is that it tries to up the threat level by adding combat. The atmosphere of the game was plenty spooky and they should have ran with that.

Also, I have to cringe a bit (okay a lot) at the hilariously racist portrayal of a magical native american in this game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

D_W posted:

This game would have probably been much better if it had even less combat and was more of an adventure game.

I've played a bit of Nocturne, and from what I remember the Blair Witch games have much less combat. Nocturne is a pulp horror adventure with poo poo like Al Capone creating Frakensteinian mobsters and Baron Samedi joining forces with the Stranger to battle a zombie outbreak.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I agree with the one poster who said that this game's main problem is that it tries to up the threat level by adding combat. The atmosphere of the game was plenty spooky and they should have ran with that.

Also, I have to cringe a bit (okay a lot) at the hilariously racist portrayal of a magical native american in this game.

Don't forget the Chinese dude from the tutorial!

Well this has been a fun ride as always. Looking forward to the other Blair Witch games, although I've really come to like the whole Spookhouse setup and I can't help but wonder if the other two games are going to suffer in its absence.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah Spookhouse kind of grew on me, too. We'll get to see next Tuesday if the second game can hold up (I need to get it running, so only one video this week), and I definitely want to do Nocturne in the future.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I have to say that "stay behind the AI" in a chase sequence is completely counter-intuitive to anyone who has played a video game with the same kind of situation before. At least when it's not a chase sequence like Star Fox 64 or something, where the AI is designed to always be ahead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, Spookhouse was an interesting cast of characters and they've kind of got potential.

I hope Stranger comes back, he seems like the kind of guy who'd be exactly the same 100 years ago.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah Spookhouse kind of grew on me, too. We'll get to see next Tuesday if the second game can hold up (I need to get it running, so only one video this week), and I definitely want to do Nocturne in the future.

Volume 2 came out only a few weeks after volume 1, three different teams at three different developers where working on these in parallel.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Burzmali posted:

Volume 2 came out only a few weeks after volume 1, three different teams at three different developers where working on these in parallel.

Oh, I didn't realize that they were done at the same time. The second game does feel really different so far (new video tomorrow!).

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Yeah, as I've understood it three dev teams were given three different parts of Blair Witch lore to explore.

I don't even remember there being that much lore in the movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kjetting posted:

Yeah, as I've understood it three dev teams were given three different parts of Blair Witch lore to explore.

I don't even remember there being that much lore in the movie.

There wasn't a ton if I remember correctly, but Rustin Parr was definitely a part of it.

That's why I don't view this game as "A complete game someone slapped the Blair Witch brand over" like has been suggested. The story and dialogue are too tied up in the established background to have been any kind of reasonable reworking.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I admit, after this game I would not have minded more 'Spookhouse Investigates Horror Backstories' stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

I admit, after this game I would not have minded more 'Spookhouse Investigates Horror Backstories' stuff.

Unfortunately I'm not even sure who owns the Nocturne trademark at this point and a search of the US trademark database hasn't pulled up anything. Terminal Reality was liquidated a few years ago. For all we know, the property is left in limbo.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Night10194 posted:

That could have been a really cool concept, mixing IPs like a modern take on Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but I'm afraid getting the spookhouse property would be the easy part.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, guys, it's time for the first episode of Blair Witch: Coffin Rock! Sorry about all of the save screens that pop up; I figured out what the problem was, and I fixed it in the second video. It wasn't my fault, in my defense.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Letting a rotting corpse recuperate in one of my beds would be a bit beyond my limits of being a good Samaritan.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Yvershek posted:

Letting a rotting corpse recuperate in one of my beds would be a bit beyond my limits of being a good Samaritan.

We don't know for sure that that's what's going on.

I think Lazarus is just a grey, hungerless, anachronistic weirdo who is sometimes a ghost, but otherwise 100% normal and you can't convince me otherwise :colbert:

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

It was a different time in the 1860's. The country was at war. People hadn't yet understood the tell-tale signs of zombism yet.

Also I hope this series just keeps going back in time and never explains anything.

Also 2, Copper is a cutie.

D_W fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 7, 2016

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
So, grandma weaver sounds suuuuuper familiar, but I wasn't able to find cast credits for the game. Maybe it's just generic old lady voice, but she sounds like Lady Alvane, from the very beginning of The Longest Journey.

Alvane was voiced by Bab Christensen, a Norwegian actress; human head studios is based out of Madison, WI, so I'm guessing it's not the same actress, but I'm hoping you guys leave the credits in because I really want to check.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Theokotos posted:

So, grandma weaver sounds suuuuuper familiar, but I wasn't able to find cast credits for the game. Maybe it's just generic old lady voice, but she sounds like Lady Alvane, from the very beginning of The Longest Journey.

Alvane was voiced by Bab Christensen, a Norwegian actress; human head studios is based out of Madison, WI, so I'm guessing it's not the same actress, but I'm hoping you guys leave the credits in because I really want to check.

Wait "is" based in Madison? I wonder wtf they even make now because I've never heard of them and I'm a programmer in Madison, WI! I will have to scope this out. Perhaps I can work on the next hot Blair Witch game.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I was surprised to see their logo (I remember it from the 90s, but nothing recent), and Google's sidebar just said "Madison, WI"-I didn't delve any further bc i just wanted to verify they're not Europe based (and thus unlikely to hire a Norwegian voice actress).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Theokotos posted:

I was surprised to see their logo (I remember it from the 90s, but nothing recent), and Google's sidebar just said "Madison, WI"-I didn't delve any further bc i just wanted to verify they're not Europe based (and thus unlikely to hire a Norwegian voice actress).

Found their website. I bought my condo from their owner, lol. Guy would not shut the hell up trying to get everyone to download his new cellphone game during the closing. Small world.

Their job listings are awfully picky for a company that hasn't put out non-shovelware since '05. The loving decoration he left in that condo was so godawful, if his taste informed this game at all we're in for a serious treat.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

decoration he left in that condo was so godawful
Oh do show/tell

I've been to Madison a few times, nice place, doesn't scream game dev, though; more artisanal cheeses + college town.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

D_W posted:

Also I hope this series just keeps going back in time and never explains anything.

I've read the basic plot of the third game.

:v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Theokotos posted:

Oh do show/tell

I've been to Madison a few times, nice place, doesn't scream game dev, though; more artisanal cheeses + college town.

There were all these tiles hung up everywhere (like little 3"x3" things) with Japanese characters on them and incorrect english translations underneath. He had a bunch of wal-mart poster prints of various classical art nude paintings of ladies but he had not removed any of them from the plastic wrapping+cardboard backing. Just leaned them against walls or nailed them up straight through the whole thing.

There was not a single wall in the house that was the same color as any other wall. A palette that went from orange to brown to earwax to green to blue swept everywhere.

Also he did a poo poo job doing that painting, so he just nailed up quarter-round as crown moulding to cover up the paint splotches on the ceiling, but he used carpentry nails and not drywall nails so it ripped out big chunks of drywall when we took it out.

In the garage he left three little lawn gargoyle statues.

At the closing, he had waist-length hair and was wearing a button-up shirts (cowboy snaps style) that was white with black stripes with a huge fleur-de-lis and skulls on the back. Guy was just an all-around winner.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There were all these tiles hung up everywhere (like little 3"x3" things) with Japanese characters on them and incorrect english translations underneath. He had a bunch of wal-mart poster prints of various classical art nude paintings of ladies but he had not removed any of them from the plastic wrapping+cardboard backing. Just leaned them against walls or nailed them up straight through the whole thing.

There was not a single wall in the house that was the same color as any other wall. A palette that went from orange to brown to earwax to green to blue swept everywhere.

Also he did a poo poo job doing that painting, so he just nailed up quarter-round as crown moulding to cover up the paint splotches on the ceiling, but he used carpentry nails and not drywall nails so it ripped out big chunks of drywall when we took it out.

At the closing, he had waist-length hair and was wearing a button-up shirts (cowboy snaps style) that was white with black stripes with a huge fleur-de-lis and skulls on the back. Guy was just an all-around winner.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

*everything you said*

Holy crap, dude. That all sounds horrifying/terrific.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
That description is even more perfect than I was expecting.

Let's see if it translates into the game at all!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Looking forward to seeing this as an in-game environment.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy crap, dude. That all sounds horrifying/terrific.

Upside was that I paid 40k less than the neighboring units because apparently Madison ppl are afraid of remodeling :).

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
So is the twist in this game supposed to be that we're dead or something? Because nobody seems to notice that we clearly are. Also did that old lady just give us Jimmys clothes, when he died from disease?

This game's going place I can tell.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I know this game was made by a different company in a different engine and all, but at least the clothes physics engine is the same.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

kjetting posted:

I know this game was made by a different company in a different engine and all, but at least the clothes physics engine is the same.

Thank God for that!

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013

kjetting posted:

[...]in a different engine and all[...]

NitpickMan to the rescue! It's the same engine if wikipedia is correct.
Looks like it, too, from what we could see from the first episode.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think all the Blair Witch games were made in the Nocturne engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda sad this one is looking so bad after the last one was, at least, pretty interesting and novel.

• Locked thread