Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Zeniel posted:

So is the twist in this game supposed to be that we're dead or something? Because nobody seems to notice that we clearly are. Also did that old lady just give us Jimmys clothes, when he died from disease?

For the last time, we're not dead, there's nothing you can say that will convince me that we're dead, we're just a sometimes-ghost who doesn't ever eat food.

Also it doesn't matter if Granny gave us smallpox clothes because let's face it, we are 100% dead. We are a walking corpse, and an old one at that, and we cannot get smallpox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean it's pretty obvious from the fact that she mentioned her son buying the gun in '81 and Laz's deployment was in '63, and how he was found in a Civil War era union uniform, he's been dead a long while.

If I was going for that twist I wouldn't have made him look quite so corpsy.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now! There was a really weird sound issue in this episode, and I genuinely have no idea if it was the game's fault or something we did to get it playing.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Yes, this is the part of the game that I played when I had the demo (the battle sequence at 25:00). For whatever reason they figured that if they wanted to sell a game based on a horror franchise the best way was to show an action sequence in civil war era with bad controls even for the day the game was released.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
This really seems like the company who made this game was in the middle of making some kind of civil war action game when they were forced to tack on the Blair Witch license to it. What does any of this have to do with young documentarians running around the woods getting spooked?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, handled less terribly, this setup could actually work pretty well for a horror game.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

You know, handled less terribly, this setup could actually work pretty well for a horror game.

Zeniel posted:

This really seems like the company who made this game was in the middle of making some kind of civil war action game when they were forced to tack on the Blair Witch license to it. What does any of this have to do with young documentarians running around the woods getting spooked?

I agree. I kind of like that they're trying something. It's a pretty novel setting for a game, I mean not just the Civil War but a civil war setting that's not focused on one of the big engagements.

It's just that it's kind of weird choice for a Blair Witch tie-in and they're really taking their time tying what is basically a bog-standard civil war skirmish to the supernatural scary bits.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, brother fighting brother is a pretty big deal, as far as angry ghosts go.

Seems kind of disjointed so far.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Oh you sweet summer children, the things you're going to see.

Also if you're wondering, the sound cutting in and out is just a thing in this game. That is literally the least of its problems.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
House updated: we just finished retiling and trimming the basement. The interior walls were very clearly added by the previous owner (our game designer) after the house was built. None of them are square to either the floor, the existing walls, or each other. I did some badass mitering on the trim (girl power) and we still had to use filler to make them look joined. I think this fits right in with the extremely haphazard :effort: appearance of what we saw in this episode.

I especially like all the lovely yet perfectly repeated fences and all the random railroad ties laying around for *reasons*.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 Part 6 Part 3 is up now! The way this game absolutely screws over the player is really starting to get to me. There was nothing like it in the first game.

Also, I apologize for not knowing how to count to three. I've learned now, though!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 14, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Holy poo poo, you move fast. :v:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Holy poo poo, you move fast. :v:

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I'm confused, how many group of parts are there?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

I'm confused, how many group of parts are there?

A ton. A ton of group of parts.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

You moved even faster :v:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

You moved even faster :v:

Holy crap, I'm just going to outright apologize now. There was no excuse for not knowing where I was in life like that. :-P

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
So, Amy and I will be getting the next episode up tomorrow instead of today. Sorry for the delay, it's been a really busy week.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You guys are pretty efficient with updates so don't worry about it

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

You guys are pretty efficient with updates so don't worry about it

Thanks, I appreciate that. :-D

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4 is up now! This is the episode that started to really prove to me how much better the first game in the trilogy was, which is unfortunate.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Shouldn't that have been obvious from episode 1?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

While it is plainly obvious that the second game is worse than the first, it seems it's almost worse than the Dreamcast Ring game.That had a map and characters were distinct.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

quote:

"Get the bundle of herbs left by the search party" -> character picks something up.

I had to stop the video there and go watch that again, and I still didn't see the odd pixel on the ground.

The forest sure likes giving you bullets and healing items. I don't think the game's preparing you for a boss fight or anything, but simply thinks you need those items to gun your way through the enemies. It seems like you are fine with maybe 50% or 25% of the items you find in that area. It's almost as if they didn't do any balance testing. :v:

The writer on this game really struggled to drive through an idea that the protagonist's driving theme is the whole "men dying under my command" thing, but I'm guessing nothing ever comes out of it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering how fleshed out the main guy's guilt is actually going to end up being. I don't have a lot of faith in it.

And yeah, I didn't really think to compare the quality of this game to The Ring, but I think we're getting to that point, aren't we?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
So, uh, the final part of the game is up now! I'm looking forward to the discussion that comes from this episode, because I have no idea what the hell we just played.

We'll be back with Volume 3 soon!

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
Why all the hate? The game didn't live up to its predecessor, but it wasn't too far off from most 3rd person action adventure titles coming out those days. Adding a bunch of glowing red arrows or discovering colors other than brown and gray would have solved most of your complaints.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
That's it? That can't have been more than a quarter of the length of the first one.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Burzmali posted:

Why all the hate? The game didn't live up to its predecessor, but it wasn't too far off from most 3rd person action adventure titles coming out those days. Adding a bunch of glowing red arrows or discovering colors other than brown and gray would have solved most of your complaints.

It was a lot more than a lack of a map and bright colors. The controls weren't nearly as good as the first one, the characters were forgettable and unexplained, there were audio glitches that were apparently not caused by my system, the title of the game was definitely out of place, and there was a lack of a difficulty option. I get that there were different teams working on this trilogy, but I do think that there should have been at least SOME collaboration amongst them all.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Wait, if bleeding boy was already feeding whatever darkness was at coffin rock, why did it need robin? Is the house less a house and more a representation of a dimension? I wish I even cared enough to keep asking questions-looking forward to part 3!

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

pedrovay2003 posted:

I do think that there should have been at least SOME collaboration amongst them all.

To their credit, at least there seems to be some continuity in the lore, at least more than I expected. There were some reused assets like the house and the enemy types ghost, stickman and dog, and I think some of the events in the second game were referred to in the first. The Schnellgeist/Snallygaster (mentioned in the first game, fought in the second) is supposedly a real life myth that people used to fear around the regions of Maryland where Blair Witch is set. This probably means there was at least some communication between the teams, even if they coulnd't agree on what magical property the Twana has.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

Where they ran out of money with the first game and had to cut some content, for this game they never had any fantasies about ever having enough budget and simply made it short in the first place. Does anyone know what they asked for this game in retail? A random article from 2006 said it was then going for $20.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Holy poo poo, one of the level designers for this game was J.P. Lebreton?

I can't believe this piece of garbage was made by Human Head studies, Rune was pretty fun overall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not sure that the ending implied that he somehow changed what happened. Chronologically in the flashbacks that immediately follows Skunk shooting him.

But it's still unclear what he was doing between 1863 and when the game takes place. I assumed they were going to wrap around to showing him getting resurrected somehow.

Was the demon supposed to be the one from the 1st game or is this unrelated? Maybe she was just being possessed by the Witch?

It also doesn't really have a conclusion other than he stopped both the demon and the demon's follower. I guess we are supposed to assume that his soul or whatever is sacrificed to stop the demon, but that doesn't seem to work for long as we know it comes back.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

SirDifferential posted:

Where they ran out of money with the first game and had to cut some content, for this game they never had any fantasies about ever having enough budget and simply made it short in the first place. Does anyone know what they asked for this game in retail? A random article from 2006 said it was then going for $20.
I never saw this one retail back then, I saw the first for $29.99 a couple times.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This setup could've made a really interesting horror game.

It did not.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of ashamed you had to play this game, to be honest. It feels like the last third or fourth of a proper game, or maybe just the middle bits are missing?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
My German isn't great but I think Schnell Geist would translate in to fast ghost/quick ghost?

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016
This game feels like a take on the old bad restaurant joke: "The food was terrible, and the portions were too small!"

CzarChasm posted:

My German isn't great but I think Schnell Geist would translate in to fast ghost/quick ghost?

Apparently it's a reference to this thing, so I suppose someone on the development team deserves credit for a neat idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snallygaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gus rules ok posted:

This game feels like a take on the old bad restaurant joke: "The food was terrible, and the portions were too small!"

Apparently it's a reference to this thing, so I suppose someone on the development team deserves credit for a neat idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snallygaster

A game about Theodore Roosevelt (who I think founded Spookhouse if I remember something my brother in law told me about Nocturne) hunting cryptids with an elephant gun would be fantastic.

• Locked thread