Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This game definitely at one point had more areas planned that had to be cut, right?

I do love that we're Mega Man'ing these Native spirits though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny that the game about a grim Colonial witch hunter is sillier than the one about the government sponsored pulp superhero agency doctor.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I can't believe there is nowhere to heal up and such in town. Unless there is and you guys missed it? I hope you just missed it.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

quote:

I think the game's supposed to be swarming us, but we're too quick.

Actually, I'm guessing the game can't handle all the enemy models on screen at the same time, so they do it in waves so the framerate doesn't tank. They probably originally intended it to be a swarming fight, testing you now that you're equipped to deal with a zombie apocalypse or two.

What amuses me is that you get all these ancient Indian voodoo doohickeys and still your most powerful weapon is the colonial rifle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SirDifferential posted:

Actually, I'm guessing the game can't handle all the enemy models on screen at the same time, so they do it in waves so the framerate doesn't tank. They probably originally intended it to be a swarming fight, testing you now that you're equipped to deal with a zombie apocalypse or two.

What amuses me is that you get all these ancient Indian voodoo doohickeys and still your most powerful weapon is the colonial rifle.

The Cross also does some serious work as a pistol replacement.

The fire one, not the sad swingy one.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

SirDifferential posted:

As it has always been, so it shall always be.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That priest's motto seems to be "The only moral witchcraft is my witchcraft."

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Thesaya posted:

I can't believe there is nowhere to heal up and such in town. Unless there is and you guys missed it? I hope you just missed it.

Yeah, if there's somewhere to heal up, it's lost to us. But that just makes me feel more accomplished that we haven't needed it (at least, as accomplished as this game can make someone feel).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I interpreted the priest's speech as "the exorcism spell will heal you up if it kills the target". It's expensive and risky but hey, you can savescum.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird how the weapons that aren't Mega Manned from bosses get... explained to you, at length.

I suppose you can't really experiment given the survivaly horrory nature of these proceedings.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay guys, part 7, and the end of the game, is here! This isn't going to be the last video, since there's a secret ending if you beat the final boss with a certain weapon, so we'll be back later in the week with the actual finale. But what a ride this has been!

(Also, Amy edited out a lot of our attempts to kill this boss; it took a LOT longer than the video shows, and it was easily one of my most hated final bosses that I've ever encountered.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, it fell down a lot towards the end and gave you a ton of weapons you never used or needed, but I'm gonna say game 3 was kinda neat too.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

You know, it fell down a lot towards the end and gave you a ton of weapons you never used or needed, but I'm gonna say game 3 was kinda neat too.

I genuinely liked this one, too. It was way better than the second one.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Did you cut out some puzzle stuff as well too? And how you actually beat the boss in the end? It was a bit confusing.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Thesaya posted:

Did you cut out some puzzle stuff as well too? And how you actually beat the boss in the end? It was a bit confusing.

The only stuff that was cut was stuff that had to be repeated because of deaths, so nothing was missing in the video. As far as the boss went, we just ended up getting lucky, I think; we didn't do anything differently the time we finally won, it just kind of happened. (I figured out a strategy that consistently worked after we finished the episode, though, which we'll show in the finale.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
At least it follows the glorious tradition of Coffin Rock with the story having nothing to do with the title.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Still, aside from number 2 being really awful, these games are way better than I'd expect from their origin and concept. Like, they're not GREAT, but they're not bad.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Still, aside from number 2 being really awful, these games are way better than I'd expect from their origin and concept. Like, they're not GREAT, but they're not bad.

I agree, they were a lot of fun. Honestly, even though 2 was the worst of the series, it certainly wasn't Ju-on: The Grudge for the Wii the worst game I've ever played.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard when you just shot up into the atmosphere when you used the talisman key thing.

Very Potion of Icarian Flight.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Soooo there never was that one scene from the first game where the protagonists from 1 and 3 meet up but from the other side. That's disappointing. But it's not like there was any connection anyway.

I wonder what would have happened if this series was done with more of a budget and all by one team over a couple of years.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

D_W posted:

Soooo there never was that one scene from the first game where the protagonists from 1 and 3 meet up but from the other side. That's disappointing. But it's not like there was any connection anyway.

I wonder what would have happened if this series was done with more of a budget and all by one team over a couple of years.

With how fleeting the actual popularity of Blair Witch actually was probably met with questions of "What's a blair witch?" :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda funny that only the first game really feels like a horror game. Game 2 is too much of a mess to be scary as much as it tried, and it's kinda hard to be scared of anything when you're having your magical power-up bibles game mechanics explained to you by the local wizard-priest.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
The finale, part 8, is up now! It's a really short episode, just to show the alternate ending and how ridiculously easy the final boss is if you use something that was completely useless up to this point. Logic!

Thanks for watching our series, everyone. The trilogy was a lot of fun to go through, and we hope you'll join us again for our next series!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought the first game was actually pretty good horror for its style of horror. The scene where you accidentally kill the villagers and get possessed by the spilled blood is legit some creepy poo poo.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys do Nocturne some day!

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
I like the original ending more: the fact that the town people were right in the first place and the evil witch they locked up was, in fact, an evil witch.

That final boss was intense.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SirDifferential posted:

I like the original ending more: the fact that the town people were right in the first place and the evil witch they locked up was, in fact, an evil witch.

Yeah, the jump in difficulty from the rest of the game to that last area was ridiculous. And to think, the best weapon turned out to be the one that had been the most worthless up to that point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I call BS on the Resident Evil 4 knife comparison, though - the knife is amazingly useful throughout most of the game and you live or die by it on the Professional difficulty where ammo is scarce and zombies tough.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

I call BS on the Resident Evil 4 knife comparison, though - the knife is amazingly useful throughout most of the game and you live or die by it on the Professional difficulty where ammo is scarce and zombies tough.

I guess I can see that, yeah. Even on Professional, though, I didn't use it much; I mainly did single shots to enemies' legs and meleed then to death to save ammo. (Unless we're talking about the Wii version, where potentially everything could be a headshot.)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pedrovay2003 posted:

I guess I can see that, yeah. Even on Professional, though, I didn't use it much; I mainly did single shots to enemies' legs and meleed then to death to save ammo. (Unless we're talking about the Wii version, where potentially everything could be a headshot.)

You do basically that but try to knock down multiple zombies with the spin kick then get multiple hits with a single knife swing while they're on the ground.

SirDifferential posted:

Well she is still a witch, just not a truly evil one. In the town's eyes though being a witch would be enough to be evil so technically they're correct from their point of view!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I just realized the hanged lady is literally never mentioned or explained and is just there...

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

I just realized the hanged lady is literally never mentioned or explained and is just there...

That town has really strict jaywalking laws.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wow compared to 1 and 3 the 2nd game is pretty piss-poor. I mean in this game they throw way too many items in your way, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There were also a billion boss fights for such a short game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really with the blunderbuss and all it seemed like mundane weapons in general were highly effective on the last boss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That gun made the pistol irrelevant.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

That gun made the pistol irrelevant.

It really did. The enemies dropped so much ammo that it never paid to use one bullet at a time.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Are you doing a Nocturne LP next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Are you doing a Nocturne LP next?

Probably not next, because we want to try to space out the horror stuff, but we're going to pick up Nocturne online. We're definitely going to do it in the near future.

• Locked thread