Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Was that... was that naked corpse boobs on that bulletin board in the spookhouse? What the what?

Also, see my post in the Ring thread for my feelings on Blair Witch. The original movie was positively brilliant and though I haven't seen the new movie I can basically guarantee you it missed the point completely. Original movie spoilers: Nothing supernatural happened in the original movie. There is a perfectly mundane explanation for every event, but the atmosphere and characters' reactions force your brain to stop even trying to reason about things and just accept the characters' POV that there's spooky things stalking them. But you can explain everything logically with no stretching at all if you pause and take a breath before reanalyzing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

White Coke posted:

Link? Or is it just a restatement of the above theory? I love theories like this, especially about horror movies.

here's a quote

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Blair Witch is a really good example of a horror film that implies supernatural things but has perfectly reasonable non-supernatural explanations. Its sequels sucked rear end too. Consider that in Blair Witch (spoilers, there's probably someone who hasn't seen it somewhere) there's creepy poo poo all over the woods, but the only evidence they have of "spooky things" prior to finding the house is sounds coming from off-camera. Those could easily be anything from deer knocking over rocks to one of the friends sneaking off to gently caress with them. Then a friend disappears. Again, spooky, but maybe he just left to gently caress with them? Then they get to the house and the guy with the camera sees his friend standing in the corner and then falls over. OK, maybe an evil witch or maybe his friend snuck off to gently caress with them and then decided to take a piss in the corner? Meanwhile the guy with the camera just fell down and lost the camera. The end."

The fact that you still buy the premise and freak the hell out despite there being no real support for the premise is all down to framing and presentation. Something a game like this doesn't seem to understand at all, opting to try every spooky thing they can think of in the hope of scaring you rather than building atmosphere first and then adding in the bare minimum of spooky stuff to sell you on the supernatural aspect. poo poo, Ringu has very few nighttime scenes at all and yet this game is pitch black 80% of the time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

anilEhilated posted:

They didn't really go for a BWP movie sequel/tribute, they just wanted to cash in on the name for their survival "horror" sequel to Nocturne. I don't think it'd be a spoiler to say that the games aren't exactly scary and weren't even then.

yeah, i know these games didn't even attempt to really follow the tone of the movie at all. when i said "sequels", i meant made-for-tv poo poo like Book of Shadows. i assume the new movie also misses the point i described above just as badly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Haven't seen the movie myself, but according to a friend of mine it's full-on supernatural weirdness. Though regarding your theory, what about the bloody teeth and chunk of meat (was it a tongue? I forget) they find?

i mean, it's some bloody teeth and a chunk of meat. it's spooky, but there's all sorts of ways some random bits of a dead thing could be laying around the forest. animals murder each other all the time, we kill animals, animals kill us. it only seems like the work of a supernatural force if you are already looking for signs of a supernatural force.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Spudd posted:

I listened to a podcast recently with the director/creator of Blair Witch and it was really cool how he explains it all came together and what it was about. It is meant to be a spooky film of a supernatural Witch loving with some teens though.

Death of the author my friend.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chiasaur11 posted:

The Blair Witch killed him too?

Wow, your theory is on shakier ground than I thought.

no, no, rustin parr killed him

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
if i remember the old lp of this right, the solution to this night 'o horrors was in fact really bullshit.

also, this, like that ring game, really has the feel of a mostly finished game that had a popular IP slapped over it at the last minute.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kjetting posted:

I wonder if they're all puns, or if it's just the never-give-in twana and the tell-us-more twana.

:effort:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I agree with the one poster who said that this game's main problem is that it tries to up the threat level by adding combat. The atmosphere of the game was plenty spooky and they should have ran with that.

Also, I have to cringe a bit (okay a lot) at the hilariously racist portrayal of a magical native american in this game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Theokotos posted:

So, grandma weaver sounds suuuuuper familiar, but I wasn't able to find cast credits for the game. Maybe it's just generic old lady voice, but she sounds like Lady Alvane, from the very beginning of The Longest Journey.

Alvane was voiced by Bab Christensen, a Norwegian actress; human head studios is based out of Madison, WI, so I'm guessing it's not the same actress, but I'm hoping you guys leave the credits in because I really want to check.

Wait "is" based in Madison? I wonder wtf they even make now because I've never heard of them and I'm a programmer in Madison, WI! I will have to scope this out. Perhaps I can work on the next hot Blair Witch game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Theokotos posted:

I was surprised to see their logo (I remember it from the 90s, but nothing recent), and Google's sidebar just said "Madison, WI"-I didn't delve any further bc i just wanted to verify they're not Europe based (and thus unlikely to hire a Norwegian voice actress).

Found their website. I bought my condo from their owner, lol. Guy would not shut the hell up trying to get everyone to download his new cellphone game during the closing. Small world.

Their job listings are awfully picky for a company that hasn't put out non-shovelware since '05. The loving decoration he left in that condo was so godawful, if his taste informed this game at all we're in for a serious treat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Theokotos posted:

Oh do show/tell

I've been to Madison a few times, nice place, doesn't scream game dev, though; more artisanal cheeses + college town.

There were all these tiles hung up everywhere (like little 3"x3" things) with Japanese characters on them and incorrect english translations underneath. He had a bunch of wal-mart poster prints of various classical art nude paintings of ladies but he had not removed any of them from the plastic wrapping+cardboard backing. Just leaned them against walls or nailed them up straight through the whole thing.

There was not a single wall in the house that was the same color as any other wall. A palette that went from orange to brown to earwax to green to blue swept everywhere.

Also he did a poo poo job doing that painting, so he just nailed up quarter-round as crown moulding to cover up the paint splotches on the ceiling, but he used carpentry nails and not drywall nails so it ripped out big chunks of drywall when we took it out.

In the garage he left three little lawn gargoyle statues.

At the closing, he had waist-length hair and was wearing a button-up shirts (cowboy snaps style) that was white with black stripes with a huge fleur-de-lis and skulls on the back. Guy was just an all-around winner.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy crap, dude. That all sounds horrifying/terrific.

Upside was that I paid 40k less than the neighboring units because apparently Madison ppl are afraid of remodeling :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
House updated: we just finished retiling and trimming the basement. The interior walls were very clearly added by the previous owner (our game designer) after the house was built. None of them are square to either the floor, the existing walls, or each other. I did some badass mitering on the trim (girl power) and we still had to use filler to make them look joined. I think this fits right in with the extremely haphazard :effort: appearance of what we saw in this episode.

I especially like all the lovely yet perfectly repeated fences and all the random railroad ties laying around for *reasons*.

• Locked thread