Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really hope you guys do Nocturne because this game is kinda great even if it's a mess and I'd love to see what spawned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really hope you guys do Nocturne after this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I admit, after this game I would not have minded more 'Spookhouse Investigates Horror Backstories' stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda sad this one is looking so bad after the last one was, at least, pretty interesting and novel.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean it's pretty obvious from the fact that she mentioned her son buying the gun in '81 and Laz's deployment was in '63, and how he was found in a Civil War era union uniform, he's been dead a long while.

If I was going for that twist I wouldn't have made him look quite so corpsy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, handled less terribly, this setup could actually work pretty well for a horror game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This setup could've made a really interesting horror game.

It did not.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gus rules ok posted:

This game feels like a take on the old bad restaurant joke: "The food was terrible, and the portions were too small!"

Apparently it's a reference to this thing, so I suppose someone on the development team deserves credit for a neat idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snallygaster

A game about Theodore Roosevelt (who I think founded Spookhouse if I remember something my brother in law told me about Nocturne) hunting cryptids with an elephant gun would be fantastic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, the basic setting is that Teddy Roosevelt founded Spookhouse after encountering and killing a monster on a hunt.

This is like the most believable monster-hunting organization origin I've ever seen.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"They call me a heretic simply for violating the principles of Christianity!"

That's, uh, what heresy is, lady.

Also calling it that the priest is possessed and will turn out for the worse. I mean, he didn't say anything about how he got back after the voice lured him into the wood and he's putting weird seals everywhere.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That witch lady is maximum THE BURNING TIMES.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, this is stupid but it seems the fun sort of stupid, so far.

Pulpy Solomon Kane Witch Hunters are always A-Okay, but Prye really needs a wide-brimmed hat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It seemed pretty obvious to me what you were supposed to use; you got the bear talisman of being super brave and we already used the eagle talisman of turn into an eagle.

This game is totally ridiculous but looks way more fun than 'awkwardly miss dogs with a revolver in the woods', or Blair Witch 2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny that the game about a grim Colonial witch hunter is sillier than the one about the government sponsored pulp superhero agency doctor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SirDifferential posted:

Actually, I'm guessing the game can't handle all the enemy models on screen at the same time, so they do it in waves so the framerate doesn't tank. They probably originally intended it to be a swarming fight, testing you now that you're equipped to deal with a zombie apocalypse or two.

What amuses me is that you get all these ancient Indian voodoo doohickeys and still your most powerful weapon is the colonial rifle.

The Cross also does some serious work as a pistol replacement.

The fire one, not the sad swingy one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, it fell down a lot towards the end and gave you a ton of weapons you never used or needed, but I'm gonna say game 3 was kinda neat too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Still, aside from number 2 being really awful, these games are way better than I'd expect from their origin and concept. Like, they're not GREAT, but they're not bad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda funny that only the first game really feels like a horror game. Game 2 is too much of a mess to be scary as much as it tried, and it's kinda hard to be scared of anything when you're having your magical power-up bibles game mechanics explained to you by the local wizard-priest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought the first game was actually pretty good horror for its style of horror. The scene where you accidentally kill the villagers and get possessed by the spilled blood is legit some creepy poo poo.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys do Nocturne some day!

• Locked thread