Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Nocturne has some utterly fantastic b-movie/comic book style ideas but the gameplay is kind of a hard sell now. Still, if you can stomach the Blair Witch games, it could be a pretty good palate cleanser.

edit: Think you could raise the gamma a bit? I know it's supposed to be dark but at times it's difficult to see anything.

I tried playing Nocturne recently, and as cool as the setup was I had a hard time getting into the awkward control scheme and lack of direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

Well this game was an IP that was thrown into another one.

It's hard to find much info on the development of this trilogy, but it seems like it really was meant to be a Blair Witch game from the start. They just decided that instead of doing a straight up adaptation, they would instead make another Nocturne game and have the Blair Witch series take place in the same universe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It feels like you're making the game harder for yourself by not killing anything. It seems like enemies remain when you leave an area and more spawn in, so you're just filling the forest up until it's almost too crowded to move

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nocturne is also interesting because BloodRayne was likely originally a Nocturne game starring Svetlana, the Spookhouse vampire we saw in the HQ in the first episode. It still maintains some connections like the Heart of Beliar and the daemites, so technically Nocturne, the Blair Witch series, and BloodRayne are all in the same universe!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I did look and unfortunately, neither of the two successive games are continuations of Spookhouse. They do connect, but the story chronologically goes from Volume 1 straight to The Blair Witch Project.

Even more reason to play Nocturne, I say!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

D_W posted:

I really appreciate the cat's commentary.

I think the Hec'ai-whatever's form was pretty cool to be honest. A weird black fog with stick tentacle is way more interesting than some large monster.

This game would have probably been much better if it had even less combat and was more of an adventure game.

I've played a bit of Nocturne, and from what I remember the Blair Witch games have much less combat. Nocturne is a pulp horror adventure with poo poo like Al Capone creating Frakensteinian mobsters and Baron Samedi joining forces with the Stranger to battle a zombie outbreak.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kjetting posted:

Yeah, as I've understood it three dev teams were given three different parts of Blair Witch lore to explore.

I don't even remember there being that much lore in the movie.

There wasn't a ton if I remember correctly, but Rustin Parr was definitely a part of it.

That's why I don't view this game as "A complete game someone slapped the Blair Witch brand over" like has been suggested. The story and dialogue are too tied up in the established background to have been any kind of reasonable reworking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

I admit, after this game I would not have minded more 'Spookhouse Investigates Horror Backstories' stuff.

Unfortunately I'm not even sure who owns the Nocturne trademark at this point and a search of the US trademark database hasn't pulled up anything. Terminal Reality was liquidated a few years ago. For all we know, the property is left in limbo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

D_W posted:

Also I hope this series just keeps going back in time and never explains anything.

I've read the basic plot of the third game.

:v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There were all these tiles hung up everywhere (like little 3"x3" things) with Japanese characters on them and incorrect english translations underneath. He had a bunch of wal-mart poster prints of various classical art nude paintings of ladies but he had not removed any of them from the plastic wrapping+cardboard backing. Just leaned them against walls or nailed them up straight through the whole thing.

There was not a single wall in the house that was the same color as any other wall. A palette that went from orange to brown to earwax to green to blue swept everywhere.

Also he did a poo poo job doing that painting, so he just nailed up quarter-round as crown moulding to cover up the paint splotches on the ceiling, but he used carpentry nails and not drywall nails so it ripped out big chunks of drywall when we took it out.

In the garage he left three little lawn gargoyle statues.

At the closing, he had waist-length hair and was wearing a button-up shirts (cowboy snaps style) that was white with black stripes with a huge fleur-de-lis and skulls on the back. Guy was just an all-around winner.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think all the Blair Witch games were made in the Nocturne engine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Holy poo poo, you move fast. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

A game about Theodore Roosevelt (who I think founded Spookhouse if I remember something my brother in law told me about Nocturne) hunting cryptids with an elephant gun would be fantastic.

Yeah, the basic setting is that Teddy Roosevelt founded Spookhouse after encountering and killing a monster on a hunt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm still always going to think that the witch is called "Elly Kedward" because someone accidentally transposed a digit while writing the script and everyone thought it was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SirDifferential posted:

Why in the name of all holy does the priest, the most prominent authority in the anti-witch front, know how to do magic incantations that open the graveyard gate? Or how to wield ancient magical christian artifacts? Just calling it here - the priest is probably the real witch and tries to get access to the artifact himself.

Funny enough, there's actually a real world explanation! It's probably not one the developers actually thought about, but it existed!

Despite the modern portrayal of witch hunts and paranoia, it was pretty common from medieval times up through the early 20th century for Christian communities to make use of magic. Especially in rural areas, a lot of people used a bit of magic to help them in their daily life. "Cunning folk" were independent magic practitioners who practiced folk magic ("Rub this chicken bone with pepper and garlic and sprinkle it with the blood of a goat, then put it under your steps to cleanse any evil intentions of those who walk in") for anyone who was willing to pay for a bit of supernatural assistance in their life. The church was officially anti-magic, but folk magic was tolerated even if some areas criminalized it because it was seen as helpful.

Even in these communities, "witchcraft" was still condemned and persecuted. The difference that made you a witch is that you used your magic to harm and control other people. But you'd still see communities that semi-openly practiced magic amongst themselves and would chase down witches.

Though again, I highly doubt the developers bothered to research this.

• Locked thread