Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman
HP: 10/10 MP: 15/15 SAN: 74/99 Luck: 75

John dry washes his hand as the truck drives off "One less thing to worry about." Nodding to himself he turns and Frederick inquires about matters of mining. "There were rumors in the speakeasy that Mr. Strong had found some fancy metals hereabouts and the man seemingly has a pile of money laying about, so I imagine he's struck gold out in them there hills. I'd put good chances on the likelyhood that that was one of Mr. Strong's employees we coincidentally ran into."

No longer having to worry about a wanted murder breaking loose and plying his trade on the collected group in their sleep, John is more than happy to bunk down for the night, his long stint at watch the night before had taken something of a toll on him "If you're willing to take first watch Mr. Hughes I'll not argue with you." It only takes a few minutes for John to set up a makeshift camp, and as soon as he's finished the tired farmer falls into a deep slumber.

John's sleep is fitful, his disturbing dreams causing him to jolt awake in a fright as the evening passes. Close as it ever is, John's copy of The Long Lost Friend finds its way to his hand and he begins to recite from the book a prayer of protection, his speech slow and labored, to calm himself.

"Oh Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, yea, a King over the whole world, protect me, John, during this day and night, protect me at all times by thy five holy wounds, that I may not be seized and bound. The Holy Trinity guard me, that no gun, fire-arm, ball, or lead, shall touch my body; and that they shall be weak like the tears and the bloody sweat of Jesus Christ, in the name of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Amen."*

quote:

Spot Hidden Skill 25: 91 Miss
Listen Skill 40: 87 Miss
Sanity 75: 27 Hit- John loses 1 San.
*Protection against all manner of bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Valerie Wood
HP: 9/9 MP: 11/11 SAN: 60/99 Luck: 55

Valerie emerges from her hiding place feeling a little foolish. Maybe the woods were getting to her more than she wanted to admit. That man had seemed nice enough for someone delivering dynamite to an unknown location in the middle of the woods... Alright, maybe it was still for the best that he hadn't made that delivery.

Later, at the campsite, she gives Frederick a nod. "I'll take second watch, then." Hopefully she'd get enough sleep beforehand to actually keep her eyes open. She'd hate to let anyone sneak up on them in the dark.

Spot Hidden vs 50: 89

I rolled Listen before I remembered that I could Push rolls, and I wasn't sure if Pushing a roll after I know the result of another one would be kosher. If you're okay with it, I'll Push Spot Hidden, otherwise, well, I'll get over it somehow.

Listen vs 20: 26

SAN vs 63: 17

Sanity Loss: 3

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
William Talbot HP 12/12 San 36/40 Luck 35

While he is glad to finally set up a camp for the night it bothers him that they will have to spend another night in this forest. Every night spent among the dark boughs increases the risk of the thugs stumbling upon their camp and worsens the chance of finding the poor girl alive.

Then again if they stumble into a firefight half asleep, it probably won't end up well for them. He had seen the effects sleep deprivation could have one soldiers.

He settles down and tries his best to recuperate but his sleep is tainted by a particularly vivd bad dream.

Spot Hidden 60 vs 25
Listen 84 vs 20
Sanity 30 vs 38 (Phew)
San Loss 1d3 2

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The Second Night
Vermont
Monday, June 22nd, 1925
12:30am

William Talbot was on watch when your entire team is suddenly awakened by a massive explosion. The air around you rumbles with a deep bass rattle, the trees around you shake, and then you see it...

In the distance, far to the north, a faint blue light is reflected off the base of the clouds. It only lasts a few moments, then it dies away as quickly as the echo of the blast.

Posting might be slow around the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving!

Everyone passed your Sanity check. FYI, only losing the roll makes you lose control (GM gains control) for a moment, but you don't have to worry about that even though you still lost SAN. It was basically a stressful sleep for all.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman

John's unsettled moment upon waking is immediately interrupted, the explosion in the distance shocking him from his spooked prayer and dragging him fully into wakefulness l "What in the Sam Hill!?" Clamouring to his feat, John rests his hand against a nearby tree and glances off into the distance, a faint curse on his lips "Well if there was any chance of catching the kidnappers unaware that just went out the window."

Clutching tight to his shotgun John eyes the clearing the search party has set down in, after the nights dreams he certainly didn't want to get back to sleep "best be pressing on circumstances as they are."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Frederick Donally Hughes
HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10 SAN: 49/50 Luck: 45

Frederick's eventful sleep was met with an even more eventful explosion. Practically leaping to his feet, Frederick wildly glanced about for the source of the noise when he spotted the blue light off into the distance. Heart pumping, he grabbed onto his rifle, giving a nod to John.

"I, I do believe you are quite right, Mr. Hohman. Er, mad as this might sound... should we investigate just what that explosion was?"

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman

John shakes his head "I don't see any reason to. We know Mr. Strong is most likely out here mining for gold and we saw that young man out with dynamite yesterday. It's an unconventional time for it, but all the more reason we should get back on the trail hunting down the kidnappers they're going to have been as spooked by that damnable noise as we were and there's no telling if they'll have started to move or not."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Frederick Donally Hughes

Looking relieved, Frederick replies, "Right, right, of course. Very sensible, Mr. Hohman. Forget I even mentioned it, I must still be shocked from everything that's been happening. Ha ha... then let us get on our way then, lest the rest of these ruffians manage to escape like you suggest."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

"I don't quite know about you but I have to admit I'm starting to feel a bit lost in this forest. There is a lot of ground to cover." William says, readying his bag to leave. "Maybe we should head towards this mining operation, they might have a clue about where to look next? Unless you can make out any tracks of course."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Valerie Wood

She snaps awake with a gasp and a shudder. It was just a dream, as real as the pain had felt. But that explosion wasn't. Rubbing sleep from her eyes, she joins the others.

"Was that the dynamite? They wouldn't be out mining in the middle of the night, surely. There must have been an accident... or the gang did something. I think we should investigate."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman

John pinches at the bridge of his nose as the young folk get flighty "William we already know where to look we don't need clues right now" John gestures northward to where this cabin hideout is supposed to be, his fingers clenching and relaxing nervously as the imagery of his dreams flits through his mind "Seeing as we all but began to beat the senses out of an already injured criminal to get the information from him, I'm inclined to believe the fact that young Jane is stashed there under guard of one person, I'd rather not have her potential death on my conscience because we marched off in a different direction suddenly because there was an explosion in the woods where I know there's an active mining site."

Turning to Valerie he shrugs "If it was some kind of industrial accident what would we be able to do? Mr. Hughes is surely crafty with a needle and thread on skin, but unless he has an entire hospital stashed away in his pack he's not going to be much use to men who've had limbs blown off that will have likely bled out by the time we could even make it there." John pauses for half a moment as he gathers his tired thoughts, his tone slightly snappier than he's intending; fatigue and his nightmares souring his mood "If it is the gang members causing havoc elsewhere all the better for us, if they were off looking to steal dynamite I doubt they'd be hauling around a bound girl while trying to sneak about, all the more reason to believe the person we've been hired to find will be stashed away in this cabin."

quote:

I'm fine with going to the explosion if someone really wants to push it, I just don't really see a reason to when we're already close to where we understand our target should be :v:. John may have also had dreams about creepy cabins that are tinting his worldview haha.

Alternatively SPLIT THE PARTY!!! :v: That could never go wrong.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Breaking Camp
Vermont
Monday, June 22nd, 1925
1 am

As you hastily break camp and discuss plans to move out, Frederick hears a rustling coming from the north. It's loud, as if something isn't trying to hide its approach through the vegetation, or it's something quite large.

There isn't enough moonlight to see by, with the tree canopy above. But it might see you first, if you leave your lights on...

This is a half hour after the boom, as you pack up to head out. Thank Fred's lucky Listen check for this heads-up. Something's coming!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Frederick Donally Hughes

Frederick pauses as the discussion continues, his ears catching some sort of noise from close by. A loud noise, at that. Not anything like an engine... some sort of animal, perhaps? Were there bears out in this neck of the woods? Whatever it was, Frederick hastily puts out his lantern as he says to the others,

"Hold on, everyone; I hear someone or something out there coming from our north. Perhaps we should stay quiet until we get a better idea of what's causing that noise, hm? "

Message delivered, Frederick searches for any kind of cover that he can use to stay low. While it was quite possible that this noise was nothing dangerous at all, better to play it safe, Frederick thought. Though hiding away like this wasn't exactly one of his specialties...

Normal Stealth: 20: 1d100 95 Well, that could have gone better. :v:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
As Frederick dives for cover the noise in the distance grows louder still. Something is coming!

Moments later a group of people emerge from the darkness. You recognize them quickly - another of the posse teams from back at the police station. After some initial confusion, they complain of bad dreams and being sick of the forest.

They are leaving. Now.

Sure, at first they try to explain away their fear. They had some bad food, they are tired...but you easily see through those lies. Soon enough they admit to bad dreams, and real terror at what is out here. They are heading back to town.

2am

The fleeing posse takes their leave of you, and with camp broken and your blood pumping from the night's surprises it is time to move on. Even though it is the dead of night. You are soon on the move again, heading generally north along the path indicated by the gangster you captured earlier. It's a shame he isn't here to guide you more closely.

The forest canopy grows thick here, deep in the ancient woods of Vermont. Your meager lights do little to illuminate your path. Are you going the right way? Did the gangster lead you astray? All around you is silence, save your own movements through the night.

7am

After a marathon night, dawn finally breaks and lends what little aid it can. A few shafts of the distant sun leaves you walking in a dim half-light under the still-thickening canopy. Now the trees appear twisted in pain, and what undergrowth can survive appears unnaturally pale, a sickly yellow shade, not fully alive but not quite dead. And still the silence bears down on you. Not a bird, nor a bug, nor a squirrel. Where is everything?

Attempt a Listen check to try to hear something.

I'm skipping past a potentially boring conversation with the other posse, but if there's any major details you want let me know. They don't know where the kidnappers or girl are, and never went as far as the mining site.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 29, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Valerie Wood

Now she was really starting to understand why no one wanted to be in these woods. Bad dreams were one thing, but everything about this blighted patch seemed deeply wrong. She pauses and listens. Nothing. Not even wind.

"So quiet..." she whispers, as though afraid to break the silence.

Listen vs 20: 38

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman
HP: 10/10 MP: 15/15 SAN: 74/99 Luck: 75 67

John's nerves continue to fray as the fellow posse members continue to make the word a more eerie place, he bids them farewell, but his own greed in combination for the safe return of young Jane Strong keeps him pressing forward.

Whilst the posse march through the woods, John cranes his neck skyward and rubs at the back of his neck "I've been having odd dreams as well, though I suppose it's no surprise given that almost everyone we've run into reports the same." He draws a deep breath and exhales slowly trying to find the words from within a fragmented memory "There's a cabin in the woods all rotted out, and after walking up to it I stop being able to move and some creepy fellas walk up to me all chanting some devil worship." John goes silent for a long while his discomfort over recalling the dream settling heavily over his shoulder.

Blight

John crosses himself as the group passes into the blighted wood "God protect." Noticing the odd lack of sound, John cups his hands to his ears, closing his eyes to focus on trying to capture any snippet of sound amidst the dying forest.

quote:

Listen (Skill 40): 48 40

Spending 8 luck to hit it, may as well :v:.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Blighted trees and dying plants. This places kind of reminded him of Europe. Not the main battlefields, those were completely barren by the time he got there but there was always that transitory zone where the vegetation still tried to fight back.

"Yeah, I have to admit my dreams haven't been all that pleasant either since we've entered this forest." William pauses and considers for a while before resuming. "Then again they really haven't been for a long time now."

He adjust his bag and strides ahead, lost in his thoughts and quite oblivious to the outside world.

Listen 83 vs 20

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Frederick Donally Hughes

Embarrassed by his overreaction, Frederick is unusually subdued as he glances around the quiet woods. There was something strange about the surroundings, something familiar... and then John speaks up.

"How strange, Mr. Hohman, for I had a dream just like yours. Perhaps there's something about the air that lends itself to nightmares, eh?"

Halfheartedly laughing to shake off the feeling of unease, Frederick follows after William, trying his best to ignore how eerily similar the woods were.

Listen: 20: 1d100 69

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The Clearing
Vermont
Monday, June 22nd, 1925
7 am

John Hohman seems more focused on the lack of sound than others. He cups his hand to his ear, trying desperately to hear something, anything natural. Yet there is nothing - and as that fact settles in, it brings a discomforting realization. Something unholy is at work.

Then it hits you all. The putrid scent of death reaches your nostrils. It is distant at first, but only grows as you advance through this cursed place.

Thump. Thump, Thump.

Finally, a sound! A somewhat random thumping comes from ahead as well.

Thump. Thump. ThumpThumpThump.

Strange...the sound grew more urgent when the wind blew a bit harder there, forcing its way through the canopy to rustle even the decayed growth below.

Then the trees part. All save one. It stands alone, accompanied only by an old wooden cabin. The cabin's door is closed, but it doesn't attract your attention. The blood-soaked corpse impaled on the tree certainly does.

It's a terrible sight to behold. Some poor soul is impaled halfway up the tree, his chest stabbed through by a branch. Blood soaks the length of the tree to the ground, staining even the yellow growth clinging to the forest floor.

Thump. Thump.

His legs blow with the wind, boots tapping against the tree trunk.

John's sanity 74 check: 1d100 72 passes. This is for *passing* the prior Listen check.

Now, everyone roll sanity. Remember, failure means I'll narrate a short action for you from somewhere near the tree, you can bring yourself up to that point though. It also means 1d4 SAN loss thanks to the gruesome nature of this death. :rolldice:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman
HP: 10/10 MP: 15/15 SAN: 71/99 Luck: 67

John crosses himself once more at the realization that some devilry is at work, his prayers silent for the moment, but ever present. If anyone was going to get him through this situation it was the Lord.

Muttered prayers are interrupted upon the discovery of the dead man, John's fairly calm demeanor cracks fully "Holy poo poo." John's mind goes a touch haywire as he sees the mangled corpse, this wasn't something he could just compartmentalize in his mind by pretending the corpse was a slaughtered pig like he'd done with that poor artist.

quote:

Sanity Test-74: 79
San is reduced by: 3, my new total is 71.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Frederick Donally Hughes
HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10 SAN: 45/99 Luck: 45

At the sight of the impaled man, Frederick found himself at a loss for words. What was there to say? The man was... was...

"...By God. What kind of, of monster would do something like this?'

It took all he had to say those words without choking on them, and even then Frederick could still feel his head spinning. The artist he had managed to handle, somehow. But two corpses in such a short time, and this one so terribly butchered? It was beyond Frederick's ability to imagine who could do something so cruel to another individual.

SAN Check: 49: 1d100 60 SAN Loss: 1d4: 1d4 4 Welp.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Valerie Wood
HP: 9/9 MP: 11/11 SAN: 59/99 Luck: 55

Valerie takes a step back as her head and stomach lurch, hand over her mouth.

"W-what... how... how did this..."

This didn't make any sense at all. There were so many questions that she couldn't even begin to process what she was seeing. It was so gruesome that it somehow seemed less dreadful than the artist's corpse, as though the level of violence had dehumanized this body. This was too crazy to be real. Was she still dreaming, was that it? She pinches herself.

It doesn't work.

SAN vs 60: 76

Sanity Loss: 1

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
William Talbot HP 12/12 San 32/40 Luck 35

Lost in his thoughts he feels like wandering the slaughterfields of France again, rotting trees and the feel of death in the air. Finally this nightmare vegetation parts.

Thump, thump, thump.

And when you think you saw it all, all the madness and folly and butchery, life goes on an proves you wrong. This certainly was a new one.

Sanity 51 vs 36
Sanity loss 1d4=4

Welcome to freakout town, population : us

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
John, Frederick and William stand frozen, unable to look away from the scene of horror before them. Each had seen terrible things in their lifetimes, but this, this...the force required to get a man up there...the pain he must have felt. How long did it take him to die? How long would it take you if you were in the same--

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!"

Valerie's involuntary shriek pierces the forest and shakes the others out of their daze. She isn't handling this well at all - she spins about a bit in confusion and desperation to escape, her face twisted in raw panic.

Valerie's shriek attracted attention. It'll be up to luck to determine if the reaction is violent...
Group luck: 1d100 10 out of 35. Lucky!

"Give her back! Give her back and get the hell away!!"

A deranged, haggard male voice that drips with desperation and madness cries out from within the old cabin. Recovered from your initial shock, you look upon the cabin for the first time. The walls and doors are riddled through with bullet holes, and no light shines from within. The door is closed tight.

*Failed SAN rolls result in a quick moment of lost self-control; in this case a few of you froze up and Valerie cried out. You are free to act again.
*We'll have to track daily SAN loss too. If it accumulates to 1/5 of your starting day's SAN, you go crazy.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 30, 2016

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman

Valeries scream snaps John out of his disturbed daze, his grip reflexively clenching around the butt of his shotgun. Then the madman starts screaming and things become a bit too much for him to continue being calm; John lifts his gun to his shoulder and lets off two blasts in the direction of the voice, his voice rising above the sudden gunfire "You will return Miss Strong heathen! Surrender yourself now or the good Lord forgive me I'll come in there and shoot you in half myself!"

quote:

Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope!!!

Concealment of over one half of the body offers a penalty die, so I'm rolling with that in mind, not that it mattered since I flubbed it haha.

Firearms(Shotgun/Rifle) TN 75: 91 79
Second blast Firearms(Shotgun/Rifle) TN 75: 86 22
Intimidate TN 45: 38

I rolled an additional penalty die on the second shot for firing multiple times as my gun permits, but looking back at the rules it looks like the penalty for firing several times is only for handguns, whoops!:v:.

Damage for fun came out to 29 for fun, the cabin's probably in not great shape!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 1, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
William Talbot HP 12/12 San 32/40 Daily San 6/7 Luck 35

He gets ripped out of his fugue state by yelling and the reverbating double blast of John's shotgun.

"What the hell" Will yells out as he hits the ground, training his Lee Enfield at the cabin. For a split second he felt oddly comfortable lying there, just him, the dirt and his rifle, then he yelled.

"What did you do that for?! We don't even know who is in that cabin and if you continue shooting wildly like that you're just as likely to hit Miss Strong. Get a grip on yourself John." Only afterwards does he remember he is talking to his boss. "I mean Mr Hohman."

Ah whatever.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 1, 2016

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"You'll never take me alive!!"

A crazed shout comes from the cabin. The man inside has survived John's wild attacks, and could be about to unleash some of his own. Things are about to get ugly.

We are now in initiative, following the surprise action of John the Cabinslayer's gunfire. Initiative in Call of Cthulhu is not randomized, but determined by your Dexterity score. Having a readied gun adds 50 to your total. William wins and gets to act first (or ready an action, etc), followed by the Man in the Cabin. After he acts, all four players will be next, and it won't really matter what order you post those actions in. Combat will thus go players - GM - players - GM after William does his first action.

Initiative
(Name: Initiative total)
-------------
:rolldice: William: 80dex+50gun=130
Man in the Cabin: 112
John: 20dex+50gun=70
Frederick: 70dex
Valerie: 60dex

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

As he lay on the dirt peering at the house it all came back to him. Guess it's like riding bikes. His heartbeat was stable, his breathing calm, compared to France this was a ride in the park. No shells impacting nearby, no hail of gunfire, hell this place wasn't even muddy. On the one hand he curses John for precipitating this situation, he didn't really know if the man in the cabin was guilty of anything and even less if he deserved to die over it.

On the other it felt good to be back in the saddle. There were few things in life William was really good at, war is a very single minded teacher. He spent the last couple months trying his hand at other trades but they all felt off to him. Here with his rifle braced against his shoulder he finally felt comfortable again.

He catches a glimpse of movement in the cabin. Calmly he adjusts his aim through the iron sights of his Lee-Enfield and squeezes the trigger once. The detonation echoes in the small glade and through the recoil William sees his bullet hit flesh.

"That's a hit." He states in a monotone voice.

Firearms (Rifles) 43 62 vs 80
Damage 2d6+4=11

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
William's shot strikes true. A hard thump is heard by all, followed by a weakened voice:

"Won't...take me...alive..."

Boom.

William wounded the man - did over half his HP in damage in one go. He had 2HP left. That means he immediately falls prone and needs to pass a CON check or go unconscious (65): 1d100 54. He remains conscious long enough to :suicide:

Combat is over. Now what?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

The bolt clicks as William chambers a new round, entirely unperturbed by whatever happened in that cabin.

"I'll stay here and cover you, stay low and on your guard if you want to move in." He grunts to his companions without taking his eyes from his target.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman

The definitive crack of rifle fire from William startles John once more. John gives William an unsettled nod as he begins to creep toward the cabin, his hand pawing through his satchel to grab up some shells for his gun, the vast majority of them tumbling to the ground as he loads the thing and shoves his way through the door, the gun at the ready.

Eying the room, John keeps an eye out for the most likely dead man and calls out in as even a tone as he can muster "Miss Strong if you're in here you need to make some noise."

quote:

Provided there aren't a bunch of zombies in the cabin waiting to ambush me and this guy isn't pulling an incredible ruse, John will approach the body and check for a wallet to confirm if this is the Chris our captive mentioned.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
John finds no ruse, only a man killed by his own madness, now damned to Hell through suicide. A shotgun scattered his brains over half the cabin. Bits of pink and red highlight the spartan conditions within. The cabin seems to have been used as a hideout: a pair of dirty cots on opposite walls, one has several uncoiled lengths of rope nearby. Some of them are frayed and shorter than the others.

On the floor, spent shells and rifle rounds lay amid blood and trash. Someone went through a considerable amount of ammunition. Checking the dead man's pocket requires turning him over, forcing his mostly-headless neck to flop forward and surge forth yet more blood. Eventually John finds a wallet in pants soaked with blood and urine. Inside: three dollars, and ID. It marks him as your quarry: Sidney Harris, leader of the kidnappers.

That would make the fellow on the tree Christopher Dobbs, the final accomplice.

Jane Strong isn't here.

That'll be another SAN check, but just for John unless someone else goes brain-diving. This death is on him. It's 0/1d4 loss, but I'll group it in with the sight of the other corpse. That means you can't lose more than 4 total, and you're already down 3 from tree guy.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman
Daily San 1/5th: 4/15

The adrenaline rush in combination with a gut full of holy righteousness keeps John's spirit from buckling
under the pressure, his mind off in the elsewhere as he plucks through the pockets of a dead man and finds what he's looking for.

Yanking a kerchief from his jacket, John wipes away what blood he's gotten on his hands and tosses the small scrap of cloth over the grisly mess than is Sidney Harris' face before heading back outside. "Well I figure we found some of what we were looking for-" John holds the id up between his fingers "That was Sidney Harris in there and that'd make the poor soul on the tree Chris I believe.

The old farmer lets out a shaky sigh "Least we don't have to worry about the kidnappers running about anymore" John continues to talk quickly, brushing past his outburst moments ago "The mining operation is probably as good a bet as any now that we've ruled out them keeping her captive here. Miss Jane may have been drawn toward the sound if she's escaped from the Harris gang."

quote:

San Test TN 71: 29, John is a-okay with gray matter on his shoes.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There may be other clues around here, like footprints or weapon marks on the tree-corpse, if anyone wants to roll for things.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Frederick Donally Hughes
HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10 SAN: 45/99 Luck: 45

Before Frederick could really react, shots were fired, and then it was over. Awkwardly, he loosened his grip on his rifle, though he was happy he didn't have to use it. Clearing his throat, Frederick said without daring to look at the boy,

"Er, well done, William. Fine shooting."

Leaving John to investigate the cabin, Frederick carefully approached the man impaled upon the tree. Closing in, and the shock of the last few minutes slowly starting to wear off, he realized that he recognized the man. Not from a previous encounter, but from the descriptions that the sheriff had given them. How long ago that seemed. As he thought that, John returned from his cabin investigation, confirming Frederick's suspicion.

"So Ms. Strong managed to escape, did she? Some good news at last, then. Just... give me a moment to investigate Mr. Dobb's body, if you would. Perhaps we might learn something of use."

Skill Check: 1d100 95 Well, I was going to say that my First Aid is 50 and my Spot Hidden is 25 since I wasn't sure what applied, but I botched both anyways so :v:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Valerie Wood
HP: 9/9 MP: 11/11 SAN: 59/99 Luck: 55

When the shooting had started, Valerie had collapsed to the ground with her hands over her ears, terrified. Now she was shuffling around numbly, trying to look like she was searching for clues but mainly just trying not to look at the latest corpse. Her guts felt like they had turned to jelly and she kept bouncing between the urge to start giggling and the urge to start crying. What had she been thinking, coming out here?

But Ms. Strong was still out there somewhere, and at this point they'd come too far and seen too much to just give up. They had to get her back. Valerie steels herself, takes a few rhythmic breaths, and starts going back over the ground she's already covered, this time actually paying attention. Maybe she wouldn't find anything, or maybe what she found would be dreadful, but if there was something here, she was GOING to find it. For Ms. Strong's sake.

Spot Hidden vs 50: 76

Spot Hidden vs 50 (Push): 11

Sorry about the delay, been sick.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Still drained from a bout of the flu here and fancy words aren't coming to me easily, John's got tracking at 50 if it becomes relevant to what Valerie finds with her spot hidden, I should be over this soon hopefully so I'll get a proper post up asap.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

William waits for a while, making sure the coast is clear and no bad surprises await in or behind the cabin. Once he's satisfied he moves towards the corpse impaled on the tree, his rifle still half raised and firmly gripped.

What could have hoisted this man all the way up there?

Also tried to roll a spot hidden or first aid on the corpse but 79 ain't gonna cut it either way.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

John Hohman
Daily San 1/5th: 4/15

At Frederick's echo of Ms. Strong's escape John nods "I hope so" his eyes dart momentarily toward the body splayed upon the tree, but he doesn't elaborate.

Having steadily averted his gaze from the grisly tree decoration, John catches sight of Valerie calming herself down and setting her nose to the grindstone. Giving the sharp-eyed young woman a few minutes to work, he eventually makes his way to her side to offer practical asssistance with what she may have turned up "Found any signs of tracks Miss? Point them out and I'll soon have us set on their trail."

quote:

Tracking Skill 50: 15 supporting whatever Valerie turns up I suppose haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The Campsite
Vermont
Monday, June 22nd, 1925
9 am

Keen eyes soon spot tracks: several pairs of heavy boots and a smaller, lighter print. The heavy prints surround the shack, the tree, and the entire area, and it's hard to tell how many people the boots account for, but they do not match the shoes of the pair of dead men. The tracks arrived from multiple directions, but their destination after the events at the cabin points in one direction only: east. The smaller set of prints follows their trail, which can only account for your young kidnapping victim. Some of her prints are partially covered over by the heavier prints, as if she was being followed. Or leading the way.

The prints lead up a menacing hill through the damnably silent and sickly-yellow woods. On the far side the hill slopes down gently, welcoming you into a quiet camp site. Quiet as death.

The campfire has long since died, four tents are broken and the broken ground speaks to signs of a struggle. Two of the tents were clearly for sleeping, their open flaps revealing a pair of sleeping bags per tent. The remaining two tents are larger, communal affairs. One must have been used for cooking, although the stove is now cold.

The final tent is closed tight, and even the occasional breeze does not sent the flap open wide to reveal its contents to your curious eyes.

Skipping ahead a bit, we are at the next location. There's one closed-up tent and three open ones that you can easily see within. Besides the tent are the general environs to investigate. Spot Hidden is the go-to skill hereabouts.

• Locked thread