Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Prologue - This post
Chapter 1: The Founding of Nidaros
Chapter 2: To the Seas!
Chapter 3: Does This Mean War?

:siren:This is a Civ VI playthrough. Readers vote and name characters. I cry at my desk while trying to salvage our civilization from those choices. :siren:

A quick overview of CIV VI for those new to the genre. We play as a civilization as it advances from 4000 BC all the way up to 2050-2100 AD. We makes choices that impact our cities, culture, technology, religion, and military. We meet with, trade, ally, and fight other leaders and societies who all have unique goals and ambitions. We have direct control over all our military units. We can place cities almost wherever we like. We build on the land and sea, defend against neutral barbarians and city states, and work towards achieving a victory condition before anyone else can.

Victory can be achieved in one of several ways:
Science Victory: Win by finishing the science tech tree and creating habitats on Mars
Culture Victory: Win by attracting enough tourists through strong culture and wonders.
Domination Victory: Kill everyone else.
Religious Victory: Convert the whole world to your chosen religion (you don't begin with a religion, you have to develop one).

In the beginning, there was the menu screen. We selected Single Player and Create Game. We were then presented with options to create a map.

We've selected Prince as the difficulty, which as far as I can tell is 'average'. Online game speed is 2x normal, so that means the game should only take 5-8 hours for a typical playthrough. As an LP, we will find out together. The Island Plates map type provides a map that is made up of islands of varying sizes. Finally, the small size is still a pretty big map, giving us plenty of space for interesting encounters.

QUESTION 1: What civilization should we play as?
1) God drat mother loving vikings.
2) Pick vikings you loving rear end in a top hat.
3) VIIIIIIKKKKKKIINNNNNGGGGGSSSSSSSSSS

I've collected the initial votes, and the winner is clear. We will be playing as Harald Hardrada, leader of the Norwegian Empire. We begin with several naval advantages and a touch of religion added for flavor. I've selected an island map, so this puts us in a good starting position. How we squander that is up to you, of course.

Starting Abilities!

Thunderbold of the North: Raiding coastal villages reduces their effectiveness and provides us with gold.
Knark: We have great tactical advantages for moving units in and out of water. If we use these well, we can enter into the Atomic and Information era (Read: when planes gently caress our poo poo up) with a clear advantage.
Viking Longship: A cool boat that is probably strong early on
Berserker: I'm sure there are no moral repercussions for releasing these on our neighbors enemies.
Stave Church: This is a unique building only we can build. I have no idea what specific advantages it offers.

:siren: THE GAME BEGINS :siren:

4000 BC

The land is fresh, the skies clear. The sea beckons invitingly, a source of food and luxury if mastered.The future is a matrix of possibilities, and by making our choices we will lead our civilization to grandeur or defeat.

: Emperor Hardrada, where should we put our roots down? What technologies are important to our society? And what should our warriors do?

: What is our response?

:siren:Our First City: Pick one:siren:
Settle Here - Let's settle right where we are!
Check Inland - We should move inland in search of greener pastures, stone, and metals.
On the Coast - Let's find a coastal spot rich with food and possibility

:siren:Technologies: Pick one:siren:
These are the starting technologies on our tree. The number beneath each represents how many turns it will take to complete. Researching specific technologies will unlock new options, leading all the way up to lasers, nukes, and space programs.

:siren:Warriors: Pick one:siren:
This is our warrior unit, the most primitive fighter available. Soon, we will be able to produce more and better fighting units, if we want to.
Guard - We guard our city- we don't know what barbarian scum lurks in this place.
Explore - We scout our surroundings- we can't defend against the unknown.

:siren:Finally, what type of victory are we playing for? Pick one:siren:
Science - Just because we're vikings doesn't mean we're dumb.
Culture - Everyone should love pillaging and raiding as much as we do.
Military - We will see the world burn.
Religion - Hi! Have you met my god, Odin?

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Awww yis Civ 6. I'm sure that with a martial minded civ as these Vikings, and the Stave Church, we can actually consider heading for a domination/religion victory. But that's just my initial impression of the unique building and your combat abilities. Let's make a religion out of sheer combat prowess :black101:

We should settle here. Movement rules in the game are a bit different from Civ 5, and we want to settle sooner rather than later. The resources aren't bad either - Jade and Coffee, with plenty of Crab and Fish nearby. Tundra tiles are not quite useless, and we can make them into solid district tiles yet. I don't even know what the resources quite mean but having access to resources is good, obviously.

We should research Sailing. This benefits our sea resources, and we will get a research boost for settling at the coast, anyway. We can work towards plantations and mining later. Maybe get early faith research in, too.

Our Warriors should explore our land. Always be exploring. Get a lay of the land, of friendlies and foes. Maybe ruins or villages for goodies.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haraldur Haršrįši eh? I wonder why they never go for Haraldur Hįrfagri? Also a bit silly to use the guy who helped end the viking age as the main viking, but whaevs.

Domination, Settle now, Sailing and Exploring
, for much the same reasons as Dinictus. It's also thematic~

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
We should settle here. Seems like an okay spot, lots of resources close. Let's go for sailing, it looks like we get a boost for that.

The warrior should explore, but not too far. Enemies can be quite close, but a view of the land is needed.

domination/religion is the victory we seek, or else through religion the AI will crush us.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haraldur Haršrįši eh? I wonder why they never go for Haraldur Hįrfagri? Also a bit silly to use the guy who helped end the viking age as the main viking, but whaevs.

Domination, Settle now, Sailing and Exploring
, for much the same reasons as Dinictus. It's also thematic~

Because Harald the Hard Ruler is a cool name. Harald the Fairhaired less so.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Exercu posted:

Because Harald the Hard Ruler is a cool name. Harald the Fairhaired less so.

I'm of the opinion that the wimpier the name, the more badass the person. xXxDeathScytheDemon666xXx is nowhere as cool as TinyBob. Source: Lots of online gaming.

That being said, don't we need a harbour to properly play as Vikings? I heard that Civ 6 does new things with tiles- can we build a harbour even if we settle away from the coast?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CommissarMega posted:

I'm of the opinion that the wimpier the name, the more badass the person. xXxDeathScytheDemon666xXx is nowhere as cool as TinyBob. Source: Lots of online gaming.

That being said, don't we need a harbour to properly play as Vikings? I heard that Civ 6 does new things with tiles- can we build a harbour even if we settle away from the coast?

I think you need to build a harbor to build ships if you're not on the coast. But I believe that comes after the tech for building ships, so it's probably best we build on the coast for now.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chapter 1: The Founding of Nidaros (3600 BC)

:siren: Choices :siren:
Settle Here
Explore Now
Research Sailing
Victory Goal - Domination/Religion

: Harald

"There is a war brewing, gentlemen. I will not bloviate. In this world, it will always be us against them. Our ships against their cities. Our Gods stampeding over the corpses of their crippled pantheons. So we build. We build a city to house our men. Docks to build our ships. And we send our apostles and warriors forth, to spread the word of Borr and Odin to all corners of this land.

"Now, Settler, plant that flag in the ground. We stand in the hallowed first city of our people, Nidaros."

By doing the only civics options available at the beginning, we've unlocked a new form of government! We are currently set to Chiefdom. Chiefdom gives us a military and economic agenda slot. By doing further Civics Research, we unlock cards which give us unique benefits. As our governments get more advanced, we gain the use of more and more cards. Since this is the beginning of the game, we only have four to start.

I've selected Discipline, which gives us bonuses against fighting Barbarians (units that are aggressive towards all civs) and Urban Planning, which gives us a minor production increase in all cities. Constructing or building units proceeds faster based on your city's total production score, so the more the better. Red slots are used for military agendas, yellow slots economic, and green slots diplomatic.

:siren: Government Type Pick one:siren:
What level 2 government type do you want to work towards?
Theocracy - Balanced military, economic, and diplomatic slots
Merchant Republic - Provides more economics slots
Monarchy - Provides more military slots

I've taken the liberty to build a scout for our society. Our initial exploration has gone well, revealing that we are on the northern edge of the map. One little edge not withstanding, it appears we are on a fairly small island. That doesn't mean we're safe- barbarians have been known to start coastal villages and launch raids from them. It looks like we've got a few additional resources to the northwest, enough that it might even be worth building a second city on the northwest tip. Then again, in a short 8 turns we could have a viking longship. The choice is yours.

:siren: What do we Build Pick one:siren:
Monument - Provides a culture boost, one of the four paths to winning (but not ours)
Settler - Lets us create another city
Builder - Lets us work and improve the local land (they get 3 uses before they are destroyed), increasing our city's food, housing, luxuries, and production values.
Viking Longship - It's time to meet the neighbors.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 27, 2016

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It's VIKING LONGSHIPS all the way.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What kind of idiot would choose not to be a viking king???

Also, longships. Our beefy horned-helmet wearing berserker men will be too tired to reave if they have to walk or swim all the way to their victims.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
A military unit will be key, sooner rather than later. Don't work for Settlers just yet - they take a point off of our population. Considering we want to exploit those resources sometime soon, keep a Builder in mind. Bit surprised not to see options for scouts or other warriors, but 8 turns for a Longboat is not bad at all.

We want faith and a religion, so whenever you have the option to switch out Civics, get God King rolling - the early gold and faith per turn will be very useful. Barring that, work towards a Monarchy government. We can diversify our portfolio when we have a solid base going.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We shall be a Viking God-Emperor! And for that, we'll need warriors to spread and defend the faith!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Get the longship going. We started out knowing how to do coastal raids; we'd drat well better get started.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Of note for those curious, this is Norway's debut in the Civilization series. "Vikings" as an independent civilization itself entered the series in Civilization 2 under Cnut the Great (male) and Gunnhild (female), then continued in 3 and 4 under Ragnar Lodbrok in both games. The Vikings as a generic civilization disappeared in Civilization 5, but were represented by the civilization of Denmark under Harald Bluetooth. Now in Civ 6, Norway makes its franchise debut by being the latest group to take up the viking mantle.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chapter 2: To the Seas! (2960 BC)

:siren:Choices:siren:
Monarchy
Viking Longships

: Harald
Begin construction of the war fleet, citizens. We will take to the seas, scouring this world of nonbelievers and goldhavers foolish enough to live on the coast. Pillage their builders, drain their coffers, and grow our empire to the world's ends.

As we finish exploring our lands, we come upon a Barbarian encampment! Fortunately, with our civics +5 str against barbarians, this camp should be easy to deal with. Civ VI works on an RPS system, so spearmen, which are good against cavalry, are weak against warriors. Our Warrior and Scout wombo combo their scout, denying them information about our society, then our warrior cleans up their camp.

Cleaning the camp gives us gold, XP on the warrior (enough that he was promoted!), and a boost to our civics. Military Tradition is going to have to wait a minute though, because Foreign Trade gives up 1/2 build time on viking longships.

Next up, we research Astrology. In 3 turns it will be complete, and if we want, we can get started on Stonehenge. Now, to build Stonehenge, we need to find a stone tile and settle near it. But if we succeed at building it first, it guarantees us a great prophet and lets us get religion rolling. If we don't want to risk Stonehenge, We can build a Holy Site and a Shrine, and begin grinding out religious points the normal way.

Finally, our viking longship is complete. Now that we are the scourge of the seas, we must decide which seas to scourge.

:siren: EAST OR WEST? Pick One :siren:
West - I've got a good feeling about this.
East - I've got a good feeling about this.

:siren: BUILD? Pick One :siren:

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Head West first so we can sniff around that end of the island that might do us for a new city city, and start a Builder so we can get that Jade hooked up.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I still say it's weird that we need a supply of Stone hooked up next to the wonder, considering the actual Stonehenge was erected with no apparant sources of such natural stones available. Still, we probably want to look for a method of erecting it, so that means exploring Westwards.

Get some Builders. Preferably several so we may look at improving our resources soon, and to look at improving the build time of a potential wonder if we do find some Stone.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
More longs- but seriously make a builder.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Dinictus posted:

I still say it's weird that we need a supply of Stone hooked up next to the wonder, considering the actual Stonehenge was erected with no apparant sources of such natural stones available. Still, we probably want to look for a method of erecting it, so that means exploring Westwards.

Get some Builders. Preferably several so we may look at improving our resources soon, and to look at improving the build time of a potential wonder if we do find some Stone.

The article you linked seems to theorize that they were brought from multiple quarries, including one 25 miles away.

That being said, I don't think it'd hurt to train some settlers since our starting location is kind of a dump and a single builder's worth of tile improvements won't really change that.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The article you linked seems to theorize that they were brought from multiple quarries, including one 25 miles away.

That being said, I don't think it'd hurt to train some settlers since our starting location is kind of a dump and a single builder's worth of tile improvements won't really change that.

Guess I should have read the source a little bit more thorough. Earlier phases needed stones from at least 250 miles away, and I figured closer quarries were either not found or not properly excavated. But hey, I learned a little something-something! :eng101:

Settlers will be handy, but only when have you found a suitable spot. Otherwise it's a drain on population that you would rather have had working a tile until you were ready to put a Settler somewhere else.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The way I'm looking at it, with a warrior, scout, and longship all cruising around we're pretty likely to find a decent spot during the nine turns that it takes to pop out a settler. It's a gamble, admittedly.

What I don't know, also, is what's planned for the growing cash pile. Are unit buy costs the same at Online speed as at Normal speed (where the first worker costs 200 gold)?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

What I don't know, also, is what's planned for the growing cash pile. Are unit buy costs the same at Online speed as at Normal speed (where the first worker costs 200 gold)?

Unit buy cost is 4 times the production cost. Online speed is twice as fast as normal, right? That would put builder price at 100 gold.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chapter 3: Does This Mean War? (2400 BC)

: Big H

"Advisers, find me our strongest men. Lash the oars to the ship and have them set out Westward. We will push our ships to their limits in pursuit of gold and resources to build up our cities. It makes no difference to me if we draw those resources from the ground or our enemy's stockpiles. Meanwhile, set the peasant's hands to work, building on this land and advancing our city's size and power. We must be strong to stand against the barbarian tide and the horrors we have yet to know."

So our builder completes, as does some of our research. We continue researching, this time hitting Animal Husbandry and Pottery. Pottery leads to irrigation, which is great for us since we already have a luxury resource nearby. With this builder it seemed thematic to start by utilizing the fishing square to build Fishing Boats. These provide additional food and housing, which are what our city needs to grow. Growing is incredibly important. It improves our population, which lets us work more hexes. It increases the radius of territory we control, allowing us to build more districts, wonders, etc. On the civics front, we start heading towards our God King Theocracy goal. This starts with Mysticism which will provide some bonuses to religious options. In the corner of the picture, you'll notice our warriors and our scout's feet. They are strategically positioned so we can see our entire little island- if Barbarians show up, we WILL know about it and have time to react.

Speaking of our city, let's learn a little bit more about it. Look at these two screens:

In the first one, we can see some information about food surplus, amenities, and housing. Food is required to feed our citizens- if our food supply dips below our citizen count for too long, citizens will starve. This reduces our overall population and weakens that city. It also increases the odds of revolt, though I've never seen that actually happen. Next are amenities. These are sources of entertainment that amuse our citizenry and keep them happy. Luxury resources are a huge help here, as our certain districts and buildings. Happy citizens perform better than sad citizens. Certain actions, like starting a war, can lower our amenities as well. If we trade with other CIVs, they will often be looking for our luxury items. If we go through with the trade, that will temporarily reduce the amenity count. Finally, we have housing. Housing can be thought of as a population cap. If we have a lot of food surplus and housing space, our city will grow faster. If we have very limited housing space, our city will grow slower. Right now we have 6 available and 3 in use. This is fine.

In the second screen, we get a quick overview of what our city is generating, plus info around wonders, trade posts, and districts. Districts each serve a unique purpose, generally to improve a specific resource (science, culture, religion, gold, army, amenities, etc). These take up a hex when built. We have none right now. The bigger the city gets, the more districts we're allowed to have. Next, you can see how much of each resource are city center is providing. The gear is production, the coin gold, the blue orb research, and the purple treble civics. Improving civics and research improves the rate at which we learn new abilities in those fields. Improving production lets us build units and buildings faster. Gold gives us more gold each turn.

Speaking of gold, we have 200 (Ignore the 193 in some pics, I take pics during each set of turns in addition to at the end).

:siren:What should we buy pick one:siren:

Last but not least, I believe we sent a ship West. Pretty quickly we hit deep waters, which we can't pass yet. I thing that we need to research a specific tech to do so, so we divert south through shallower waters, then west again as soon as we are able. And oh my does something interesting happen.

Qin Shi: "Why do you come before the Immortal Son of Heaven, the Great Qin Shi Huang?"

We've met our first Civ! This is an AI controlled, player equivalent society. There is a second type of AI group, but we haven't met any yet, so we'll skip that for now. Let's figure out how to deal with Qin Shi first. Going to the map view...

drat! We can see they've built their capital inland. This reduces their access to water, but gives them better defense against raiding. Then again, they did build some juicy farmlands by the sea. Qin Shi made attempts when we met to send delegations to our city, which I politely declined. This would reveal our city center to them and give them information about our civ. It's reciprocal (we can request to send a delegation and set up an embassy as well), but we don't have to if we don't want to. So now comes the time when we decide what to do with Qin Shi.

:siren: Hello China pick one :siren:
Raid - This declares war on the civ and allows us to attack them. If they put builders or settlers in the sea, we could steal them with our viking longship. Anything on the coast we can try to pillage, which could get us gold and other resources.
Try Diplomacy - Send envoys and delegates, establish trade routes, and try to gain an ally to the south
Continue Exploring - Delay the need for a decision. Take our viking longship and keep exploring, learning more about the world and its civs.

Note: If you want to take an action I haven't presented, feel free to post what you want to do in bold. I'm not trying to limit choices, but present a few that anyone who is following can focus on and contribute to. I have to make a few decisions each round just to keep the game rolling.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 31, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
In the finest of viking traditions, we shall Murder them and take their stuff. Just be careful around bridges.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Ancient Era has no longterm penalties for starting trouble, so the only appropriate response as Norway is to find your neighbors and take their stuff.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
We are Vikings. Time to PILLAGE AND BURN! :black101:

Though this may require building a few more military units. When can Norwegian land units go to sea?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
IIRC It's as soon as we get shipbuilding, which is much quicker than anybody else does.

Edit: Nope, shipbuilding just lets us traverse deep water before anyone else. Embarking still has to wait until I think navigation.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 2, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I believe that barbarian encampments only appear in spots where you don't currently have vision. Does positioning your warrior and scout like that stiff you out of any gold you could get from crashing encampments that spawn on your island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Grizzwold posted:

Edit: Nope, shipbuilding just lets us traverse deep water before anyone else. Embarking still has to wait until I think navigation.
No, everyone gets embarking with Shipbuilding. Norway's bonus is that their embarked units can enter oceans from the get-go, everyone else's are tied to coasts until some later tech.

Edit for trivia: The in-game name of that ability, "Knarr", refers to a type of ship they used, basically a cargo hauling civilian version of the longship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knarr

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 2, 2016

• Locked thread