Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Hello,

Problem description: At work we just got a new computer. The old computer had a dual monitor setup. This new computer cannot detect the second monitor. Nothing appears on the second monitor at all.
The setup:
The computer is a new Dell of some description running Windows 10. On the back it has a VGA port and a DP port. It has Intel HD graphics.
The monitors are two Philips 19B. They each have a VGA port and a DVI port.
Monitor A is connected with a VGA cable and works.
Monitor B is connected with a DP -> DVI cable and doesn't work. Nothing is displayed on it during POST or any other time and in Windows 10 display settings it cannot be detected.

Attempted fixes: Changing the cables around. Then monitor B works, but monitor A does not. The problem remains the same.
Updating the Intel HD graphics drivers. We are told that the drivers are up to date. Version 10.18.15.4256 from 17/07/2015.
Disabling and enabling the drivers. No change.
The monitors' menu system allows to choose between VGA and DVI input. However, that menu is only accessible when the monitor is working - otherwise only a language menu shows up.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

Can anyone help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Got a make and model for the new computer? If so, check the documentation for it and see if there are settings that need to be changed in BIOS to enable multi-monitor output.

For example, here's the instructions for a Dell XPS 8700:

BIOS Setup

Restart your computer
At the Dell logo, tap F2 until the message Entering Setup Appears
Select Advance Setup
Scroll down to Onboard Device Configuration and press Enter
Scroll down to Intel Multi-Display and press Enter
Select Enable and press Enter

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Thank you for your reply.

The Dell is an Optiplex 3020. Some googling suggests others have had the same issue as us. The BIOS setup has nothing related to monitors, but that may be because the BIOS is version A09 (versus A13 on the Dell website). I have asked our IT folks if we can upgrade it, I am still waiting for a response. If we do that and there still isn't anything related to monitors I think we might just get a cheap low-power dedicated graphics card; that seems to have worked for many.

• Locked thread