Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
:getin: or :frogout:
This poll is closed.
:boom: 38 17.35%
yes 34 15.53%
no 18 8.22%
maybe 22 10.05%
paging pagancow 40 18.26%
all of the above 24 10.96%
:same: 43 19.63%
Total: 77 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

hey I sent a PM last night to sign up so I don't know if I'm in yet but I'll :justpost: anyway

mostly a yospos lurker and haven't done SS here, but I did do one in AI a few years back and the dude seemed to like his gift

things that I wouldn't mind finding in a box sent from a stranger on the internet:
  • kinda useless, but neat/funny/interesting electronic gadgets. a good example are those tiny quadcopter drones - nobody needs one, but they're fun to dick around with
  • comics/art books for inspiration. Jean Giraud, Jakub Rozalski, and Simon Stålenhag spring to mind
  • car-related paraphernalia. bonus points for '80s-'90s japanese stuff and/or yospos aesthetic
  • a small plant? I want to get into bonsai, but apparently I suck at actually getting them started from scratch
  • booze/liquor that is unique to or associated with your geographical region
  • banime. hit me with your worst
  • a nice hat because I am going bald before I'm 30
  • pretty much anything hand-made. effort is genuinely appreciated!
don't want:
  • shirts, have too many (but like if you absolutely need to share your funy comptuer joke tee or whatever, I wear medium)
  • drugs, unless it's salvia or something stupid
  • stuff for kids or pets (have neither)
  • a dreamcast full of mealworms

sorry I don't have a dog picture to post, she passed away a year and a half ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

MiniFoo
your dearest santee says:

1 - name all of the following media formats you would be capable of playing/reading: Vinyl record, VHS, DVD, Bluray, CD-ROM, Laserdisc, CED (hell of a longshot there), 3.5 inch floppy, 5.25 inch floppy, Zip disc.

2 - retro video game stuff y/n ?

3 - if retro games yes, name some retro games you like / systems you like

4 - types of movies u like

i was gonna get u a hat but do u know how hard it is to find that Stinko hat from that gif??/

1. at the moment: DVD, Bluray, CD, 3.5" floppy (ironically at one time I did have a Zip drive)

2. very yes

3. systems I currently possess: Atari 2600 (lol), Sega Saturn (JP), Dreamcast, N64, NDS/GBA, 3DS, Wii/GCN, Wii U, 360, PSP, PS2/PS1, PS4
at one point we had an OG Xbox around but I don't know what happened to it (which sucks, I wanted to try Gun Valkyrie because 360 emulation fucks up the controls and literally makes it unplayable. Also, Metal Wolf Chaos)
as a kid I went straight from NES to N64 and didn't experience the SNES/Genesis console wars, and emulating them doesn't evoke the same feeling, imo. same goes for the Neo Geo, which I love, but lol @ AES prices and/or having a loose MVS PCB or cab in a small apartment
I've also always been curious about weirder/niche stuff like the Wonderswan and PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16. my absolute favorite game genres are racing, rhythm, adventure, and action/platformers. RPGs with a better than average story and/or non-tedious battles are cool. I love fighting games but absolutely suck at them

4. comedies with offbeat or dark humor (coen bros. films, In Bruges), sci-fi (I loved the recent "hard" sci-fi trifecta of Gravity/Interstellar/The Martian, but more fictional stuff is good too), mystery/thriller (Chinatown is still one of my favorite movies), fascinating documentaries (Planet Earth is a great example, and I just recently saw both Going Clear and Enron, though I still need to see Zero Days). I'll start watching pretty much anything if it doesn't look stupid (or is so incredibly stupid/bad that it is more funny than painful; I do like to riff on awful movies). find me an animated film in one of the aforementioned categories for bonus points

wow that's a lot of words, sorry. also lol at that hat idea. don't think I'd wear that one too often, though

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

dear santa, a box arrived

but I've been a naughty poster and haven't shipped my recipient's package yet, so I will abstain from opening it until I do so

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

dear santa, your second package arrived a few days ago and I am very anxious to open both of them up

dear santee, your gifts are finally ready but I won't be able to ship it out until tomorrow due to not having a big enough box, lol

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

there's some pretty pro gifts in this thread so far

anyway I'm finally ready to send out my santee's package tomorrow, so why not delve into my own that've been sitting here?

let's start with the box that arrived first

I am doing alright, thank u santa

oh gently caress, I need to find the proper button battery immediately for EXCITING SOUND EFFECTS

there are two books here but the letter says you sent one

I've heard about the phone phreaking book though, and I can't wait to read it! also lol this will definitely help fix my posting:

so now let's move onto box numero dos

holey moley they're all wrapped up, maybe I should actually wait until xmas day??

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

r u ready to WALK posted:

After a proper wire was soldered on, the devices secrets were revealed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Z35scI4rc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP4fD1rfZgU

But personally my dog thinks the greatest gift in this package was the ball toy that pronounces YOSPOS about as well as the microbit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sVESTcZric https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNLrD0skWm8

i'm the YOPSOS

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

can confirm that captain skyhawk owns

I will open part two of my presents this evening

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Tatsujin posted:

i never had good luck getting coco to respond to catnip but who knows maybe it's because shes never had the real good poo poo. ill be sure to take video if she starts gettin super playful and high. even if she doesnt i know of many cats who like to get high

nice catte

Tatsujin posted:

thank you Farmer Crack-rear end heres a bonus pic of a Let it Die shirt and winter balaclava i got myself for xmas

...nice poster

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

aaaawwww shiiiiit son

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

holey moley they're all wrapped up, maybe I should actually wait until xmas day??

I opened them up the other night,

(same)

but had to wait until today to check the disk because I left the USB floppy drive at work

squidward will judge me and my operating system preferences

YOSPOS BITHC

green POS is best POS

here's a better picture of that sweet wrapping paper, btw:

I suck at IRL basketball, so this should help me practice

um yeah Lego loving rules

F-14s rule

gotta get footage of this hovering around

and also find some AAA batteries for my new 386 radio

forgot to take pictures of the lightbulb, which despite being dim is perfect for ambient light in my bedroom

wat

having not read the .doc on the floppy yet, I was weary to plug unidentified USB devices into my computer, so I sacrificed my MacBook instead:

they're both a lot brighter than I expected

need to buy a new tip for my soldering iron lol. cool stickers too. speaking of VHS,

where the heck am I gonna find a working tape deck so I can rip this for the 'POS?? actually it's on youtube, so I'm going to keep this in its 28-year-old shrinkwrap for posterity

Thanks for all the rad gifts, Samuel L. ACKSYN! hope you have a merry yosmas as well

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Annual Gift Panda posted:

I want to point out that I sent a clean laptop

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

oh god, i'm a mac haver now :gay:

an ominous note...

Holy crap thank you minifoo... I may have to wait a day before I embark on the journey of powering this beast on, but rest assured I'll poast when I do

glad you like it! now try plugging it in (seriously, it will either boot up immediately without user input, or you'll have to wait a few minutes then forget about it until it decides to blast your eardrums with the mac chime)

hopefully everything that I set up will work properly I took a few pics myself if it doesn't

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Plugged it in last night and it booted right up (and exploded my ears with the chime)

Took pictures, i'll post them as soon as I have some time. Things are a bit hectic right now

no worries, glad it's working lol

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

YOSWOA(H)

anthonypants posted:

unfortunately i don't have a floppy drive. or, i do, but it's attached to an old computer. i'd like to get one that works over USB with windows 10, does anyone have any suggestions? i would really like to try this game out. maybe i'll just download a copy from somewhere instead? :filez:

pretty much any usb floppy drive should work. the one I use at work is dell-branded I think, and it just shows up in Win 10 without even any driver installation or w/e

Annual Gift Panda posted:

u should maybe show the rest of the class a page or 2

can confirm, the book is really cool!

bump_fn posted:

who eats the anime prone, the Santa or the Santee

in the spirit of yosmas, I'll take it for them if necessary

[edit] I've officially been a member of this site for a decade, gently caress

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

lmao at barnacle jim

also that mac pi has more storage and is almost definitely more stable than the powerbook I sent, that owns

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

anthonypants posted:

that is a catte

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

r u ready to WALK posted:

Suffix sent a nifty bonus gift!

Dog doesn't seem to appreciate the finer arts though

Thanks!

goddamn I want that book so much

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

attention whomever gets Silver Alicorn for next year's Santee: there will be plenty of stuff from this line out by then.

https://twitter.com/sanrio/status/817129523774787584

b-banime

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

fair enough, I relate

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

welp and here I thought that I was gifting the oldest mac in this thread

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

god drat what a yosmas it's been

SCSI to ethernet is a thing?

i'm not above inflicting my POWERMAC 5300CE on the internet

there's a 56k modem in it already fwiw, but it'd be fantastic if you could get that connected via SCSI to ethernet by daisy-chaining it off of the CD drive lol

(also p.s. if you look around on the hard drive you might find some, uh, nice pictures of your own as well)

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

become the orange man and spread your seed over the earth

eschaton posted:

I think the CD-ROM drive in the PowerBook 5300CE is IDE, not SCSI

not sure at the moment and don’t want to take the time to look it up

the 5300CE does still have a SCSI port, of course

there's no internal CD-ROM for the 5300 series, which is why the questionably-functioning external SCSI drive was included in the package I sent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

this has been an exceptional YOSmas

• Locked thread