Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d64
Jan 15, 2003
Problem description: AKG HSD 271 headset mic makes no sound with two different audio interfaces. I will explain what I have tried below.

Attempted fixes: Just bought this headset, as I've been using the K271 headphones for a long time and these are basically the same thing, only with a mic. The cable must be bought separately and I have two: "MK HS Studio D" (1/4" stereo jack for headphones, male 3 pin XLR for mic), and "MK HS PC", the PC cable, which has two 1/8" stereo mini jacks, one for headphones, one for mic.

The headphone part of the headset works fine, I'm only discussing the mic here.

I got the "studio" cable first, so though I was planning to use the PC cable, I tried the headset out with this cable. So I connected it up like this: XLR on headphone cable to Neutrik XLR to mono 1/4" jack converter, to *stereo* 1/4" jack to 1/8 mini jack patch cable, and then to integrated Realtek sound card mic in. I got sound from the mic - but only on the left channel, which made sense to me since I was putting the big mono jack on the XLR converter into a stereo socket on the patch cable.

So I rummaged around and found an XLR to stereo 1/4" jack converter, also Neutrik, and replaced the mono part with that on the above signal path. No sound at all from the mic. I figured this could be because the phases cancel each other out or something like that - I'm not an audio expert. But I didn't think much of it because I was not planning to use the studio cable on the PC anyway.

Then the PC cable came in and I tried that. Very simple: 1/8" stereo jack on mic cable to integrated motherboard mic in. No sound from mic at all. I was puzzled at this point. To test the PC cable, I tried putting the mic cable into my headphone output and holding the mic very close to my ear - I'm pretty sure I can hear faint music. So the cable doesn't seem to be broken.

Tried a final configuration to rule out any problems with the sound card: I got a Y-cable with female 1/8" socket on one end and two male RCA plugs on the other end, connected to my "proper" sound card, an M-Audio Delta Audiophile, which has RCA connectors. No sound from mic.

I have verified that both of the audio inputs I tried do work. The first test which got me sound on the left channel show that the mic works too. I can't really RMA anything either since I have what seems to be the same problem with both cables, they shouldn't both be broken. There is an "automatic" mic mute function on the HSD 271 but I've made sure I have the arm in a "not muted" orientation.

I'm not an expert on audio so I'm puzzled by the PC cable in general. The three mic output pins, according to the manual, are "shield, audio ground", "audio inphase" and "audio return". How does that map to a stereo mini plug that is at the other end of the PC cable, anyway? On the other hand, AKG does market the cable "for teleconferencing" and for use with PCs so I would presume I should have a working setup here.

This was long, would appreciate any suggestions a lot.

Recent changes: Just bought the thing. No changes on PC side.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Pro 64bit

System specs: Self built PC, mobo Asus P8P67 PRO B3, Core i5 2500K, gpu GTX 970, M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96. Can look up further specs if needed.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, didn't find much of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If nobody here can help you may find someone in here who knows what the issue is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=183

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

d64 posted:

I'm not an expert on audio so I'm puzzled by the PC cable in general. The three mic output pins, according to the manual, are "shield, audio ground", "audio inphase" and "audio return". How does that map to a stereo mini plug that is at the other end of the PC cable, anyway?
The output of the mic is a balanced signal and the mini plug is -considering your issues- likely not (unbalanced) stereo at all, but also balanced (mono). This is rare in 1/8", but not unheard of. The inputs on your computer are all unbalanced.

For either cable, you will need a dedicated adapter for converting the balanced signal to an unbalanced one. The Neutrik XLR to mono 1/4" jack converter cable you have already appears to be one of those (it's either 3 or 5 on the picture), but you'd need to supplement it with a mono 1/4" jack to mono 1/8" jack converter to have the signal go to both channels on a stereo input jack.

To use the PC cable, you probably need number 9 or 11 in 1/8", with a female connector on the left. It's my expectation that this cable will be uncommon.

So everything is working as it should, but confusing balanced jacks with stereo ones and throwing in random adapters is throwing you off.

• Locked thread