Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The series, set in the confines of Major League Baseball, sets its focus on a young pitcher noted for her screwball pitch who becomes the first woman to play in the league, when she is chosen to play for the San Diego Padres.

Cast

Kylie Bunbury as Genevieve "Ginny" Baker, a rookie pitcher and the first female to play in Major League Baseball
Ali Larter as Amelia Slater, Ginny's agent
Mark-Paul Gosselaar as Michael "Mike" Lawson, the Padres' veteran catcher
Mo McRae as Blip Sanders, a Padres player and friend and former minor league teammate of Ginny
Mark Consuelos as Oscar Arguella, the Padres' general manager
Dan Lauria as Al Luongo, the Padres' manager
Meagan Holder as Evelyn Sanders, Blip's wife and Ginny's friend
Tim Jo as Eliot, Ginny's social media manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

ep 5

The reveal about who killed Ghost Dad was pretty nuts, I hope it comes up again because right now that info has nowhere to go.. Loved the front office stuff.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 28, 2016

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watched the first two episodes and noticed Mark Paul Gosselar's name near the start of the title screen of the first episode and before the second episode and was wondering when we would get to see him, since I didn't think I saw him in the first episode.

Then I looked at the catcher. Totally did not recognize him.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I was surprised they didn't use a knuckleball for her secret pitch and also surprised that she's a starting pitcher rather than a reliever, both for narrative reasons and the idea that she's successful largely in part because people don't know how to handle the screwball.

I've been enjoying the show a lot more than I expected though.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

THF13 posted:

I was surprised they didn't use a knuckleball for her secret pitch and also surprised that she's a starting pitcher rather than a reliever, both for narrative reasons and the idea that she's successful largely in part because people don't know how to handle the screwball.

I've been enjoying the show a lot more than I expected though.

I don't think the show is really marketed towards actual baseball fans, most of the baseball stuff is super unrealistic

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Speaking of baseball stuff, I was wondering how far apart the Padres and the Yankees are with the ability to pay the biggest bucks, it came up in the last ep when the GM talked with the free agent catcher.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kraps posted:

Speaking of baseball stuff, I was wondering how far apart the Padres and the Yankees are with the ability to pay the biggest bucks, it came up in the last ep when the GM talked with the free agent catcher.

Baseball doesn't really have a salary cap like other sports so the disparity in payrolls between major market teams, and the rest of the league is ridiculous. The Dodgers had the highest payroll this season at $223,352,402, compared to the lowest, the Astros at $69,064,200. The Padres aren't really a small market team though. They actually have the 10th highest payroll out of 30 teams this season ($126,369,628), but even still it is just over half of the Yankees payroll ($213,472,857)

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
The latest episode was like what I wanted the Draft Day movie to be (it was awful and somehow less realistic).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is great and I'm an idiot for reading the second post in this thread before finishing the latest episode but that's my own drat fault and I gotta admit it was a hell of a moment

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm catching up on episodes. Mike being a stathead when he's nervous is a bit unrealistic given what I know about players but I like it.

I'm kinda :smith: every time there's signs with little girls being happy and inspired that Ginny is there.

Maybe someday...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I love this show about as much as anyone possibly could, I think. It's a girl who looks like (hotter) me doing my dream job and being best friends with Zack Morris. But even grading on that curve the writing's pretty weak. The flashbacks are boring and feel like a narrative dead end. Her dad could have been an interesting driver for tension as she outgrows the child prodigy phase of pitching, but instead they killed him off and nothing new the audience learns about him is ever going to change Ginny's story in the present. I do enjoy that this show seems to take place in a Demolition Man-style universe where the broadcast wars happened and only Fox media properties survived.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The flashbacks really run the gamut from decent to flat-out stupid, with the one this week about Mike's childhood being a strong example of the latter.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Mike flashback reeeeeally felt like killing time.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I really love Pitch, and I feel bad saying this, but I think I'm gonna fast forward through flashbacks on this show until it gets cancelled or they magically stop being redundant

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best thing about the Mike flashback was recognising both the actors who played his parents from Scrubs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

try the new taco place posted:

I really love Pitch, and I feel bad saying this, but I think I'm gonna fast forward through flashbacks on this show until it gets cancelled or they magically stop being redundant

The worst part about the show is that godawful cover of Sympathy for the Devil they keep rolling out.

But I do agree the flashbacks are a little dull

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Good ep tonight, actually decent flashbacks, Dec. 1st is probably gonna be the series finale

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

try the new taco place posted:

Good ep tonight, actually decent flashbacks, Dec. 1st is probably gonna be the series finale

Ratings or was this always a miniseries? This falls into the category of show where I'm left thinking "where on earth is this supposed to be going for a multiple season run"

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Azhais posted:

Ratings or was this always a miniseries? This falls into the category of show where I'm left thinking "where on earth is this supposed to be going for a multiple season run"

Playoff run, Injury, Team collapses in Post Season, Rehab and then winning the World Series in the second season at least?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Azhais posted:

This falls into the category of show where I'm left thinking "where on earth is this supposed to be going for a multiple season run"

I stopped wondering this after Burn Notice ran for 7 seasons.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Ratings are below the "Mulaney line" on Thursday nights. It might have had a shot without the sophomore season of Rosewood failing too

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why the gently caress did they put it on Thursdays in the first place. This is a Monday night show if I ever saw one.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Why the gently caress did they put it on Thursdays in the first place. This is a Monday night show if I ever saw one.

They thought Rosewood was an anchor show instead of "people watching Empire lost the remote"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was the episode order anyway? Was it really only 10 eps?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Escobarbarian posted:

What was the episode order anyway? Was it really only 10 eps?

Looks like it.

"The Cubs'll never win it" though. :v:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

That's it?! ahhh come back you show right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What a fuckin downer of an ending jesus. UNFAIR

• Locked thread