Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SourKraut posted:

This year, yes. Next year is another year.

Does it matter if you can't hit Josh Tomlin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Niwrad posted:

Does it matter if you can't hit Josh Tomlin?

Exactly. Next year I expect the offense to be just as impatient while the pitching staff is ultimately worse.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

SourKraut posted:

It's just depressing to look at so many teams that are set with pitching, and yet the Cubs just aren't at the same level. I wish Theo and Jeb were as great at pitching prospects/young talent as they seem to be at all other positions.

Hello I am a Twins fan, let me tell you about terrible pitching.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I went out and didn't post for the past 4 hours or so.
GG Cleveland.
I am very bummed about the Cubs and hope their bats will wake up soon. Also COME ON BAEZ. NOT BAE ANYMORE.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can you link me to this GIF in such a way that I can post it on Facebook?

I haven't figured out how to post them on Facebook without them being stupid links :(

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Exactly. Next year I expect the offense to be just as impatient while the pitching staff is ultimately worse.

They will at least score a poo poo ton of runs on the Brewers in the regular season.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

This owns

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mr. McGibblets posted:

Cubs wont win another game in this series. If they do I'll buy everyone that posted in this GDT a special avatar. AND I'll never post here again. :toxx:

Define "here"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mr. McGibblets posted:

Cubs wont win another game in this series. If they do I'll buy everyone that posted in this GDT a special avatar. AND I'll never post here again. :toxx:

everyone?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mr. McGibblets posted:

I know but I should get something in return. I'll buy myself a new avatar as a treat.

If they do not win another game I will buy you a very nice avatar :toxx:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bigass Moth posted:

The cubs are the browns of MLB except extremely good

Cubs are more like the Arizona Cardinals of MLB.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I prefer the alternate timelime where Baez gets a walk off jack.

Very weird game. It was deathly silent at times.

Props to Russell on that diving stop. And turning the double play.

The Wrigleyest moment had to be Soler pulling it hard to right, and we're all begging for it to go foul, then we couldn't see poo poo and had to wait for the fan reaction in the bleachers.

That's about as close to an inside-the-park homer you can get.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

FaradayCage posted:

The Wrigleyest moment had to be Soler pulling it hard to right, and we're all begging for it to go foul, then we couldn't see poo poo and had to wait for the fan reaction in the bleachers.

Our local (Canadian) sportscast just suggested Soler wasn't running from the start and might have pulled it off it he had!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FaradayCage posted:

That was such a bizarre play. I thought for sure he had an in-the-park until Fox finally showed him stopping at 3rd.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That was such a bizarre play. I thought for sure he had an in-the-park until Fox finally showed him stopping at 3rd.

That'll be the curse legacy of this series. Soler might have had a chance to tie it but didn't put his full effort into it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Soler was not going to score even if he hadn't slowed at 1st. The ball was at the cutoff by the time he made it into 3rd he would have been an easy out at home.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why was Soler playing in the first place? Is his below average bat worth having over Heyward's defense?

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 29, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Why was Soler playing in the first place?

Because Heyward bat has been a catastrophe. Maddon mentioned in a conference yesterday that he wanted to get Soler some more ABs because he had been sitting so long. I think it's a smart choice, Soler is a better hitter at this point than Heyward but he hasn't had any ABs in forever so he needs to get in there as much as possible. He looked really solid tonight so I'm hoping Maddon keeps using him going forward.

Great heads up throw to third for the out. A lot of guys make the throw home in that situation hoping for a miracle, which is why Rajai went for 3rd.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Good points Popete, you're right. I'm going to bed because that was a depressing game and the Cubs being shutout for two games of the World Series has now crushed what hope I had.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

Because Heyward bat has been a catastrophe. Maddon mentioned in a conference yesterday that he wanted to get Soler some more ABs because he had been sitting so long. I think it's a smart choice, Soler is a better hitter at this point than Heyward but he hasn't had any ABs in forever so he needs to get in there as much as possible. He looked really solid tonight so I'm hoping Maddon keeps using him going forward.

Great heads up throw to third for the out. A lot of guys make the throw home in that situation hoping for a miracle, which is why Rajai went for 3rd.

Doesn't Heyward catch that ball in right? I guess you have to go for offense with everyone else playing so bad. Just sucks the options in RF are Heyward, Soler, or Coghlan.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Doesn't Heyward catch that ball in right? I guess you have to go for offense with everyone else playing so bad. Just sucks the options in RF are Heyward, Soler, or Coghlan.

Heyward would've had a fair chance at it.

But if you're scoring 0 runs in 9 innings, amping the offense is really the only correct move to make.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Also god bless Bill Murray for getting some laughs out of us after that seventh. :unsmith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I doubt Heyward catches that ball in right without completely laying out for it, and the run would've scored anyway on the sac fly. Soler gunned him out trying to take third. Soler also had 1/3 of the entire team's hits today and he didn't even play a full game. Meanwhile, Heyward should've ended the game on a typical weak grounder to the right side if not for it being Bucknered at first.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I doubt Heyward catches that ball in right without completely laying out for it, and the run would've scored anyway on the sac fly. Soler gunned him out trying to take third. Soler also had 1/3 of the entire team's hits today and he didn't even play a full game. Meanwhile, Heyward should've ended the game on a typical weak grounder to the right side if not for it being Bucknered at first.

Good call.

Back when we had hopes of a late game rally (which the Cubs actually DO now), that out at third was diamonds.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Mr. McGibblets posted:

Fowler - No issues here
Bryant - Shook as gently caress can't handle the pressure
Rizzo - Total rear end trash
Zobrist - No issues here
Contreras - Way to emotional it affects his at bats
Heyward/Soler/Guy off the street - Piss break time
Baez - Totally loving terrible and cant lay off poo poo has the same emotional issues as Contreras, I liken him to a Jimmy Butler
Russell - Too young for the moment doesn't have his head on right
Pitcher - Each one is a mental midget in their own unique way

Schwarber - Only good player on the entire team.

fowler is batting like poopy, at least baez has a hit this series (even though baez is reaching at the worst poo poo)

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

it's honestly primo av material

I was torn on which Don Draper quote to use. It's possible the one I went with is too on-the-nose.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

joeburz posted:

fowler is batting like poopy, at least baez has a hit this series (even though baez is reaching at the worst poo poo)

Fowler went 1-5 in game 2 and 1-4 in game 3.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Pancakes posted:

I was torn on which Don Draper quote to use. It's possible the one I went with is too on-the-nose.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Fowler went 1-5 in game 2 and 1-4 in game 3.

are you for real because for some reason i only remember him whiffing a million times the last two games, and game 1 where he didnt even swing the bat

• Locked thread